Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The Kingfish posted:

Which is why Arendt’s Origins of Totalitarianism is such an instructive text when examining fictional so-called “depoliticized” Hitlerian/Stalinist regimes.
Regardless of whether the FO can be meaningfully described as either fascist or communist (although the seeming lack of significant non-human integration arguably implies the former) Arendt’s framework demonstrates that the Empire and FO were totalitarian in nature, with the Death Stars replacing Hitler’s and Stalin’s concentration camp as the central institution of organizational power.

Starkiller base is an experimental superweapon revealed and then eliminated in the span of roughly a day.

Your writing needs specificity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Kingfish posted:

Which is why Arendt’s Origins of Totalitarianism is such an instructive text when examining fictional so-called “depoliticized” Hitlerian/Stalinist regimes.
Regardless of whether the FO can be meaningfully described as either fascist or communist (although the seeming lack of significant non-human integration arguably implies the former) Arendt’s framework demonstrates that the Empire and FO were totalitarian in nature, with the Death Stars replacing Hitler’s and Stalin’s concentration camp as the central institution of organizational power.

I haven’t read Totalitarianism, could you explain her general thrust? I read On Revolution and it was hopelessly muddled and ahistorical, but maybe she’s more on the ball here I dunno

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Kingfish posted:

What movies were you guys watching because I don't recall any information about who or what is actually in charge of the galaxy.

Like is the FO the Empire and they control everything?

Is there a republic that is notionally in charge but hasn't been able to stop the FO from retaining military power?

Is the resistance a maquis style bunch of guerilla fighters? Who is supplying them?

Is this all covered in the supplemental materials because I was straight up confused by the new movies.

Rogue One was cool.

e: my bad according to TLJ's crawl the FO had crushed the republic and was in charge. Okay I feel better. Movies still sucked.

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 8, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Rogue One actually made ANH make MORE sense- the Rebellion is down to a tiny handful of fighters on a small base because the Death Star legit made most of their allies poo poo their pants and pull out, and the ones that remained threw everything into a suicide attack to get the plans. Also makes the opening really funny with how blatantly Leia's lying to the Empire.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Little Death posted:

If you watch the Lindsay Ellis breakdown of the new Beauty and the Beast, you can tell that Disney execs are extremely online at this point. They are right in nerd culture, totally misinterpreting what they are seeing as representative of general audiences. what I'm saying is that this is redlettermedia's fault, it is 100% because of their stupid movies that idiot Disney execs thought that they needed to distance themselves from the prequel trilogy as much as they did. I'm not trying to give JJ too much credit, but I'm sure that his script writing started with a list of stipulations from Disney execs who don't actually understand how stories work, but wanted a bunch of do's and don'ts based on what they thought the market for Star wars was.

That would explain a lot. I've always said that listening to your fanbase is vital for understanding how your stuff is recieved, but for the love of god, don't believe everything they say. Most people don't know what they want and don't know how to articulate how they feel about things.

Also said before that it's not just exclusive to Star Wars or Disney to have what may be called an aggressively incoherent style of storytelling- omitting background information that puts everything into context because they're afraid it'll confuse audiences, despite the lack of context confusing them more, and then their answer to audience confusion is to overexplain everything that already happens on screen assuming the audience must be staring at their phones instead of watching it, rather than actually giving context for why the characters are doing things.

It gets even worse when the writers and execs also clearly don't know what they want or why, and the directors are actively at war with each other. You get the equivalent of people who 'cook' by getting bored halfway through the recipe and just throwing the ingredients they have around into a put and shaking it around for an arbitrary time, then getting confused and angry why people don't like their cooking.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rogue One actually made ANH make MORE sense- the Rebellion is down to a tiny handful of fighters on a small base because the Death Star legit made most of their allies poo poo their pants and pull out, and the ones that remained threw everything into a suicide attack to get the plans. Also makes the opening really funny with how blatantly Leia's lying to the Empire.

I like that Vader's uncharacteristic hot anger gets a funny explanation being because he literally just saw the ship depart from a battle and now everyone is blatantly lying to him.

Also, I guess it proves they had hyperspace tracking before TLJ which makes that even funnier, too.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
The prequels loving sucked so bad. A huge disappointment. What a waste.

Maybe my expectations were set very low after that, but the new trilogy wasn’t as bad. But pretty bad.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Red Rox posted:

Maybe my expectations were set very low after that, but the new trilogy wasn’t as bad. But pretty bad.

you're wrong.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The Star Wars prequels were perfect movies and their detractors are Terrorists.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Also I still can't believe there was literally a Sith Hood Ornament in TROS

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm going to go ahead and guess that the Coruscant thing was someone at Disney saying "Don't blow up Coruscant, we need to have recognizable locations that we can use in future books."

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Red Rox posted:

I’ll never understand these takes.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

feedmyleg posted:

I'm going to go ahead and guess that the Coruscant thing was someone at Disney saying "Don't blow up Coruscant, we need to have recognizable locations that we can use in future books."

Oh it was 100% this. Hell they were even too cowardly to commit to their cowardly decision to make it not Coruscant. It not being Coruscant is never actually stated in the movie. The most we get is "The Hosnian System" but we've never known what system Coruscant was in. Coruscant could very well have been the Xth planet in the Hosnian system. I'd bet it was part of the reason for all the other store-brand versions of OT planets like Jakku, some souless exec didn't want anything to happen to places like Yavin and Tatooine.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That doesn't make sense, why would they want to set a story on Coruscant if it's not where the government is

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

It's a rotating capital. I know that was mentioned somewhere in the extended material but that didn't stop the Republic from dying when it blew up.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also said before that it's not just exclusive to Star Wars or Disney to have what may be called an aggressively incoherent style of storytelling- omitting background information that puts everything into context because they're afraid it'll confuse audiences, despite the lack of context confusing them more, and then their answer to audience confusion is to overexplain everything that already happens on screen assuming the audience must be staring at their phones instead of watching it, rather than actually giving context for why the characters are doing things.

It gets even worse when the writers and execs also clearly don't know what they want or why, and the directors are actively at war with each other. You get the equivalent of people who 'cook' by getting bored halfway through the recipe and just throwing the ingredients they have around into a put and shaking it around for an arbitrary time, then getting confused and angry why people don't like their cooking.

I wonder if this comes from seeing movies only as a series of set pieces like a bad video game, versus an organic narrative that tries to build a setting with a sense of realness to it. I'm not convinced that JJ thought of any reason why the resistance worked the way it did, what the blowing up the capital would mean, who the Knights of Ren were or what the name would imply, even the weirdness is Snoke as a figure mimicking the emperor. for him it was just all cool things to put on the screen, and all the background fluff was filled in later by other writers trying to make sense of his mess. I think a lot of movies have generated to the point where they are first and foremost a set of scenes as expected by studios, and coherent narratives second.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

galagazombie posted:

It not being Coruscant is never actually stated in the movieIt not being Coruscant is never actually stated in the movie. The most we get is "The Hosnian System" but we've never known what system Coruscant was in. Coruscant could very well have been the Xth planet in the Hosnian system.

It really is such a baffling creative decision because literally everyone I know assumed it was Coruscant getting blown up, but I love that pointing this out was enough to be declared a LYING LITERAL loving CHILD by certain posters in older threads

2house2fly posted:

That doesn't make sense, why would they want to set a story on Coruscant if it's not where the government is

In the old EU and in unproduced Clone Wars TV material there was stuff about an ancient Sith temple that the current Jedi temple was built on top of. I suppose there could have been vague plans about using that in future stories. Trevorrow's version of IX also involved Coruscant extensively, which is supposedly why Disney-era EU avoided any depictions of it after RotJ, but I have no idea exactly when this was decided on and if it would've actually affected anything for TFA.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The Little Death posted:

I wonder if this comes from seeing movies only as a series of set pieces like a bad video game, versus an organic narrative that tries to build a setting with a sense of realness to it. I'm not convinced that JJ thought of any reason why the resistance worked the way it did, what the blowing up the capital would mean, who the Knights of Ren were or what the name would imply, even the weirdness is Snoke as a figure mimicking the emperor. for him it was just all cool things to put on the screen, and all the background fluff was filled in later by other writers trying to make sense of his mess. I think a lot of movies have generated to the point where they are first and foremost a set of scenes as expected by studios, and coherent narratives second.

That's getting the causality backwards; Abrams had a fairly coherent narrative, but then the studio turbofucked it into oblivion.

For background: fans tend to gloss over the part at the start of Episode 6 where Luke offers Jabba The Hutt a deal with the Rebel Alliance. Luke promises over 50,000 credits and to not interfere with Hutt activities, so long as they free Han. It's effectively a sort of unholy alliance between the heroes and this gangster who keeps sex slaves.

"You can either profit by this, or be destroyed. It's your choice."

Of course, Jabba stubbornly refuses the offer, and dies - but this doesn't change the fact that the offer was made. After the Emperor was killed, the New Republic is implicitly founded on similar alliances with gangsters and warlords. When we get to Episode 7, Han is smuggling bioweapons - inside the New Republic - to some leader named King Prana. King Prana has obvious ties to organized crime, and sounds like the kind of guy who'd have a reserved table at Canto Bight.

"Ever heard of the Trillia Massacre?"

When TFA began filming, the narrative centered around divorce. The union of lib politician Leia Organa and gangster Han Solo couldn't be sustained without the Empire to serve as their mutual enemy. The failure of Leia's marriage is consequently a metaphor for the failure of the New Republic at large. All their ethical compromises came back and bit them on the rear end. There are still impoverished serfs on Tatooine. Han is being chased by seemingly hundreds of well-funded and notorious gangs, etc.

So, most of the main characters are presented as children of divorce (even if they're all adults). The First Order doesn't appear out of nowhere, but is specifically a response to the ideological failures and injustices of the New Republicans.

After that was all set up, Disney then went about censoring as much criticism of liberalism as possible - because that might make the Space Stalinists more sympathetic. Jakku was originally the junkyard where Leia tosses all her garbage, for example. The scene of Republic ships dumping trash from the upper atmosphere was cut, and Jakku was changed (in the EU) to just a former battlefield. That way, it can be denied that the New Republic bears any responsibility for Rey being a child slave.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"I hate the prequels but finish the Clone Wars."

???

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Oh it was 100% this. Hell they were even too cowardly to commit to their cowardly decision to make it not Coruscant. It not being Coruscant is never actually stated in the movie. The most we get is "The Hosnian System" but we've never known what system Coruscant was in. Coruscant could very well have been the Xth planet in the Hosnian system. I'd bet it was part of the reason for all the other store-brand versions of OT planets like Jakku, some souless exec didn't want anything to happen to places like Yavin and Tatooine.

Since it barely appears in the movie, there's only a few pieces of concept art that have been released for the unnamed "Republic City", but one of them is labelled as the Senate, and is explicitly a different building from the one shown throughout the prequels. If they'd intended the planet to be Coruscant, they likely wouldn't have gone to the trouble of redesigning one of its iconic buildings.

The design process of the other planets is well documented as well. Jakku started out as being a generic "junk planet" in Michael Arndt's script with several ideas for different biomes - some being built on lakes or overgrown with vegetation. The idea to make it a desert seemingly came about as the artists started to lean towards a dry Sergio Leone feel for the town featured on the planet.

The Resistance base, which was rumored to be Yavin early on, was initially conceived as being built into a grassy cliffside, but the concept was changed when they decided to film at the Greenham Common air force base, keeping the "underground" feeling from the cliff concept, which ended up mirroring the Yavin base with its dark, cramped, overgrown spaces.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Pretty good posted:

The Star Wars prequels were perfect movies and their detractors are Terrorists.

There's only one good prequel bro.

Two if you count Rogue One.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Jewmanji posted:

I’ll never understand these takes.

Mesa hatin' crunchin'. Dat's the last thing mesa want!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I mean, it's fine not to like the prequels (they're great), but I can't think of a single criteria under which the sequels can be considered more enjoyable films. They are narratively inert, at times incoherent, and suffer from a fatal lack of imagination. I strain to think of a single truly original idea that emerged from the films.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Its this

The sequel trilogy in general (and seemingly JJ in specific) is absolutely loving terrified of even gently reminding the audience that the prequels exist, which is why TFA is so allergic to even hinting at galactic politics and why we never saw Hayden Christensen appear to Kylo as a force ghost, even though that’s such an incredibly obvious Thing to do.

I'm pretty sure I've said it before and I'm not the only one, but the opening line of TFA, "This will begin to make things right," is clearly metaleptic dialog meant to reassure the audience that the ST films are a break from the PT and a return to the OT.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

I mean, it's fine not to like the prequels (they're great), but I can't think of a single criteria under which the sequels can be considered more enjoyable films. They are narratively inert, at times incoherent, and suffer from a fatal lack of imagination. I strain to think of a single truly original idea that emerged from the films.

I get to see the good ships that I like but they made more of them in the computer and they go fast

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Jewmanji posted:

Idk TLJ is one of those movies that I accidentally end up watching all of whenever it's on TV.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I was listening to some podcast about the OT scores and they were playing all of the temp tracks that Lucas put on top of the early cuts for John Williams to work with (Korngold, Stravinsky, Debussy). It was amazing to hear how Lucas had extremely clear ideas about what he wanted for the music, and how John Williams stuck very closely to the temp tracks in writing the score. Just further proof that Lucas’ influence on the original films is being re-written out of history. He really was a visionary.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Vinylshadow posted:

"I hate the prequels but finish the Clone Wars."
To be fair, the series does an amazing job of capturing Lucas' aesthetic and design sense, without his issue of not being able to work with actors.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Jewmanji posted:

The characters come across as more likeable(possibly due to the actors being better directed) which makes emotional scenes connect better

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

This is a work of art and better than the actual ST

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

2house2fly posted:

The characters come across as more likeable(possibly due to the actors being better directed) which makes emotional scenes connect better

I’ll concede that Adam Driver elevates everything he’s involved in, but other than a few scenes between Poe and Finn, I found most of the acting in the sequels to be very unremarkable. The fact that the context around most of the emotional scenes is incoherent doesn’t help. Why are Leia and Rey hugging at the end of TFA? It makes no sense. Even Laura Dern was uncharacteristically bad, which no one seems to want to admit. And Carrie Fisher... I mean...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jewmanji posted:

I mean, it's fine not to like the prequels (they're great), but I can't think of a single criteria under which the sequels can be considered more enjoyable films. They are narratively inert, at times incoherent, and suffer from a fatal lack of imagination.
The prequel characters who get the most hate from the fandom--Jar Jar, the Nemoidians, Watto, Anakin himself--are the ones who bring some element of social realism to the fairy-tale narrative of knights and princesses. Being incoherent is a virtue when the franchise is built around "relatable" characters who will hopefully sell metric tons of merch.

For me, the ultimate example of this style of filmmaking is Captain America: Civil War. It makes a pretense of a grand political conflict, but everything revolves around the characters' personal friendships and how they're getting along. And the title character is reduced to a clueless employee acting as a mascot.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

I’ll concede that Adam Driver elevates everything he’s involved in, but other than a few scenes between Poe and Finn, I found most of the acting in the sequels to be very unremarkable. The fact that the context around most of the emotional scenes is incoherent doesn’t help. Why are Leia and Rey hugging at the end of TFA? It makes no sense. Even Laura Dern was uncharacteristically bad, which no one seems to want to admit. And Carrie Fisher... I mean...

It's less that the acting is good per se, more that the overall presentation of the characters makes it more easy to feel an (much as I dislike this term) emotional connection, so dramatic moments land better. This may be purely due to the sequels hewing closer to familiar archetypes, tbh

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
What you’re essentially saying is that they made a decision for the sequel actors to affect a more “naturalistic” pose, which reads as thoroughly modern (like hyper-specifically mid 2010s and extremely self-conscious) while the prequels attempted something different to remain consistent with the vibe of palace intrigue.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

2house2fly posted:

It's less that the acting is good per se, more that the overall presentation of the characters makes it more easy to feel an (much as I dislike this term) emotional connection, so dramatic moments land better. This may be purely due to the sequels hewing closer to familiar archetypes, tbh

It’s not even precisely that, since it’s repeatedly proven that fans don’t understand what the drama even is in a given scene.

The ‘emotiveness’ of the actors is considered separate from all other aspects of the performances and the overall characterization - hence the reams of fanfiction where, unlike these distinctly asexual films, we imagine an entirely different narrative where everybody’s openly loving eachother.

(See the above comic where Adam Driver’s entire performance is replaced with an altogether different camp version, FN is uncharacteristically horrified by effeminate behaviour, etc.)

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 9, 2020

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

The Little Death posted:

It's a rotating capital. I know that was mentioned somewhere in the extended material but that didn't stop the Republic from dying when it blew up.

which is funny as gently caress because, like, itinerant courts are a real system of government in history—and they're universally known as weak failures of feudal proto-states that disappear the second someone in the neighborhood with a will starts centralizing and consolidating a capital and, y'know, not wasting a ton of time and effort moving the whole administrative apparatus around, thus also necessarily limiting its size and complexity

and granted like maybe if the merovignians had had FTL travel and communication technology they wouldn't have had as many problems but that's definitely the connotation it carries

i mean i guess it's actually on-point characterization in a way, but very contrary to the seemingly-intended "ah yes benevolent enlightened rulers who transfer power peacefully" kind of thing

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That would explain a lot. I've always said that listening to your fanbase is vital for understanding how your stuff is recieved, but for the love of god, don't believe everything they say. Most people don't know what they want and don't know how to articulate how they feel about things.

It's not about being afraid of confusing the audience, it's about getting them to watch and buy all the tie-in nonsense.

The culprit is definitely executive meddling but unfortunately the success of the Marvel movies means we're going to be seeing a lot more of it before it starts to go away.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t know if they were listening to fans but they probably listened to test audiences a whole lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

euphronius posted:

I don’t know if they were listening to fans but they probably listened to test audiences a whole lot

To be clear, nobody actually listens to test audiences. Like, not in the sense of ‘understanding what they have to say’.

A test audience will be like “oh, I like the Rey character”, and the executives track an overall 78% positive response to Rey versus a 61% positive response to FN - so let’s make Rey the protagonist of the film. Of course the film is basically done, but we can flesh out the Rey subplot in reshoots and turn it into the central narrative. Get Boyega in the recording booth and we can loop some funnier dialogue, etc.

Because this is all some kind of insane cult, the belief is that Force Awakens’ megaprofits are directly attributable to this scheme to increase protagonist likeability by 17%. That’s why they keep doing it.

Like, it wasn’t the massive and inescapable quasi-viral ad campaign; Force Awakens made its five billion dollars because they redid the Maz Katana exposition-dump sequence.