Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
As a wide eyed thirteen year old boy, I bit the bullet whilst staying with my brother over the summer to finally register my account on the SomethingAwful.com forums. My first post was a thread proclaiming how much better the UK is than the US (Christ...), with most replies consisting of insults and counter-facts. Typical of General Bullshit at the time. It was the start of twenty years posting on these awful, wonderful forums.

Sometime in 2001, I foolishly posted my school picture, accidentally resulting in my adolescent chops becoming a proto-meme on the forums. Pretty much every Photoshop thread for a year or two would have at least one effort containing my face. My dad LOVED it, with me printing out the best ones for him to look at and have a good laugh. The pinnacle was probably some random Dallas goon meet, where a goon went to use the bathroom to find a cut out of my face left on the toilet seat. Being told that was definitely weird.

Another peak was the use of the image for the Un Lapin flash animation. I got in touch with the guy who made it, enquiring as to where he got my school photo from, to be told he found it randomly searching around the internet. 2004 was a weird time.

I've seen far too many people come and go, users who were favourites before falling from grace and being banned, admins break the forums, countless off-sites build up and then become idle. Users like Jeddite, jre, Al, Rainbow Blight, Icequeen, Euronymous, artfag et al. I've seen two goons get engaged upon meeting for the first time. I've seen a goon sell a fake Mac p-p-p-powerbook to a scammer and the thread burst as it went live. I've seen the site's found and webmaster banished, rightfully, for heinous crimes against women.

I'm quite proud of only eating two probations, one of which was for not standing up for myself in FYAD. No bans, no toxxes. How very beige.

I do love these forums, and spend most of my time wasting my life in D&D, C-Spam, PYF and the football/soccer and wrestling forums. I was worried we would lose them recently and though it would have been impossible to argue against it, it would have been sad to lose so much time, effort and history to one person's horribleness. I hope we can all move on to a brave new era.

These forums have DEFINITELY changed. The community element remains but has altered. I remember in the early days there were more forum 'superstars', for better or for worse. Now, there are well known names, but threads are more isolated, it's less of a chat room and more of a forum. The whitewashing of our past in terms of cancelled words and terminology makes sense, and weve all matured over twenty years, yet you can't help these forums may not be as spontaneous as they were in those days. You can never go back home again, I suppose.

Thanks for reading my rant, and ask me anything about the past twenty years!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Stiff upper lip, pip pip.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Congrats on wasting your life

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Is there cake?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Yes, but I’ll have to throw it really hard to land wherever you are.

Maka
Mar 18, 2001

whoa thats a lot of text [56K Warning] tag next time pal

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Forgot to add [ph] too. Apologies.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
Thanks.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Congratulations on wasting 20 years of your life here!

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

britishbornandbread posted:

You can never go back home again, I suppose.

Thanks for reading my rant, and ask me anything about the past twenty years!

The past is a foreign nation. Thanks for the fun photoshop subject!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Lol you forgot to use a tag

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Sid Vicious posted:

Lol you forgot to use a tag

I swear I did! Oh well. Shows how often I start threads these days.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

grats op. here's to 20 more years of infrequent posts

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
bbb, the ur-goon, the legend himself

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just imagine being proud of being probed only twice in 2 decades smdh

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Forgot to mention that in the summer of 2005 I attended Euro GoonCon. It was a nice weekend in Amsterdam aged eighteen. Luckily I have the ability to just talk to anyone about anything and not shy away from strangers, but there were some lost looking souls at the BBQ in the park that evening.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I vote OP gets an anniversary probe

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Dell_Zincht posted:

And I just want to bbe a moderator. We don’t always get what we want.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Idk that's a bit too cruel I don't expect SA to be around in 2040

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im sorry

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
i signed up on my 14th birthday on my first acct and now im actually very well adjusted ,

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Maka posted:

whoa thats a lot of text [56K Warning] tag next time pal

LOL

Edit: oh poo poo I'm about to catch my first ban for no content posting

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 8, 2020

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

i signed up on my 14th birthday on my first acct and now im actually very well adjusted ,

Excellent username and post combo.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Send this thread on a tour and let every mod give the OP an anniversary sixer.

mackensie
Apr 17, 2002
Congrats! As another old timer, literally, in several ways (I've always been one of the oldest people on the forums haha), it was great reading your story. Looks like you grew into a pretty princess!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

goddammit no

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

congrats from another old timer

Ordeith
Oct 26, 2002

If I troll again, I will eat Hello Kitty's brains with a spork

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

grats op. here's to 20 more years of infrequent posts

Lurkers have feelings too.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Oh, for reference:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

And I just want to bbe a moderator. We don’t always get what we want.

Heavily supporting the probation idea.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I've never registered

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

condolences

e: goodolences

Don't Ask fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 8, 2020

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

congrats, old man.

favorite sa saga?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
nice rap sheet lol

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

My Face When posted:

congrats, old man.

favorite sa saga?

When the renegade admins created loads of sub forums that were private and created a giant hole in the coding of the place. radium-esque levels. This place has its faults but in the mid-00s it was exceptionally cliquey in a manner that you don’t see on such giant international message boards now fifteen years later. I seem to recall known reprobate Al was involved in some way, but the exact details have been lost in the sands of time.

The aforementioned Pele and Oddjob marriage proposal thread cemented this forum’s place as the best forum on the net. Just pure shock and horror when the realisation two strangers had met at an airport after chatting on SA and agreed to marry.

xdirtypinkox
Aug 12, 2004

And it gets easier as I pass the Edward Scissorhands village where privileged white kids date rape girls and taunt me in their SUV's.
Goongratulations fellow internet message board user!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Congrats on the countless awful choices you have made throughout your life, OP.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

When the renegade admins created loads of sub forums that were private and created a giant hole in the coding of the place. radium-esque levels. This place has its faults but in the mid-00s it was exceptionally cliquey in a manner that you dont see on such giant international message boards now fifteen years later. I seem to recall known reprobate Al was involved in some way, but the exact details have been lost in the sands of time.

The aforementioned Pele and Oddjob marriage proposal thread cemented this forums place as the best forum on the net. Just pure shock and horror when the realisation two strangers had met at an airport after chatting on SA and agreed to marry.

There are amazing. thank you for your service.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

gently caress you, OP.

You didn't see me posting no 20 year anniversary thread.

Also, tl;dr.

Congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You're still wrong about the UK you fuckin sperglord

I'm originally an 04 so I don't have quite as much wear on the tires as you, and you and I don't seem to have crossed paths much, but it's nice to see some of the long timers sticking it out.

Cheers, op.