Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

That Rockstar-backed open world VR game news got me thinking about it being a port of an existing game, which would make a lot of sense economically considering the scale of production open world games incur. Most people are talking about GTAV, but I think the better fit is RDR2. RDR2 is full of near-field interaction mechanics that could be adapted to VR in a very natural way. Lots of rummaging through cabinets and drawers, fishing, skinning, a greater focus on melee etc. Compared to GTAV where the primary interaction mechanism you have with the world is shooting a gun, with most of the world being a static facade. Even interactions as minor as creating split point ammo could be a physical action instead of something you do by rummaging through a menu.

RDR2's minigames are somewhat tedious on a flatscreen, it's one of the games most common criticisms, but in VR I think they're more likely to serve as immersion heighteners. I think back to an early game event where you're replacing a wheel on a wagon, on flatscreen it's a bunch of canned animations triggered by button presses and stick waggles, not very immersive and mostly feels like a QTE. But if you were physically doing the actions, provided they were implemented consistently and generally worked well, it'd completely change those sections for the better. They'd have greater meaning, being something you're actually experiencing instead of a glorified cutscene. It'd likely require a lot of work unraveling those abstractions, but the result could be an almost seamless virtual world allowing for an unparalleled level of natural interaction.

It's more likely to be GTAV for exactly those reasons; It's simpler, the basic gameplay loop translates easily (point gun, go pew pew at many enemies), and a static facade with fewer points of interactivity means there's less of a headache integrating VR interaction. Not to mention GTA Online benefiting from it, and that's Rockstar's real money-maker these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I feel like the system requirements for RDR2 in VR would be pretty outrageous, but GTAV makes some sense. It already had a first-person mode- they just need to make adjustments so the driving doesn't absolutely suck unless you're pulled out to the god cam.

My beef with GTAV's writing aside, I would totally play it again in VR (if it's a good adaptation) just to fly planes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

I feel like the system requirements for RDR2 in VR would be pretty outrageous, but GTAV makes some sense. It already had a first-person mode- they just need to make adjustments so the driving doesn't absolutely suck unless you're pulled out to the god cam.

My beef with GTAV's writing aside, I would totally play it again in VR (if it's a good adaptation) just to fly planes.

I saw a dude doing RDR2 in VR with Vorpx and it ran pretty good actually.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah there’s already exists mods to play GTA5 and it’s apparently fantastic for driving around in VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4QD_ggjrK8

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 7, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's more likely to be GTAV for exactly those reasons; It's simpler, the basic gameplay loop translates easily (point gun, go pew pew at many enemies), and a static facade with fewer points of interactivity means there's less of a headache integrating VR interaction. Not to mention GTA Online benefiting from it, and that's Rockstar's real money-maker these days.

The flipside is that RDR2 story is far more diagetic and personal, even during the cinematics it's rare that you're able to see something that the player character cannot, making it easier to re-stage those scenes from a first person perspective. GTAV's cinematics are a lot looser in how it frames it's perspective, it'd require falling back on traditional cinematics, something that even LA Noire VR managed to avoid. Switching to a seated context inside a car is also a pain in the rear end, it was the clumsiest part of LANVR, and mounting a horse is comparatively simpler than dealing with interaction mechanisms for hundreds of vehicles.

The interaction mechanisms are a challenge, but again their previous work signals that they consider it a very high priority, even more so than actually porting most of the original game.

Yeah, GTAV is the lazy cynical choice and would likely be "easier", but if they're planning to do the technology justice then RDR2 is the one to pick. They've had to have been doing something over the past few years, slapping together a lazy GTAV port shouldn't really take that long.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I kinda assume that the motion of riding a horse would be wildly nauseating in VR.

Sure, you could eliminate the up-down motion but then you're just riding a weird sounding motorcycle.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

Yeah, GTAV is the lazy cynical choice and would likely be "easier", but if they're planning to do the technology justice then RDR2 is the one to pick. They've had to have been doing something over the past few years, slapping together a lazy GTAV port shouldn't really take that long.

It would for a game the scope of GTAV, as they'd have to code VR functionality for the RAGE engine and then design, test, and implement a user interface just to start off. Then there's testing against not just general gameplay but going through all the story and Heist content to rebuild parts of that. What would've been learned from LA Noire VR also translates much better to working on GTAV than RDR2.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It would for a game the scope of GTAV, as they'd have to code VR functionality for the RAGE engine and then design, test, and implement a user interface just to start off. Then there's testing against not just general gameplay but going through all the story and Heist content to rebuild parts of that. What would've been learned from LA Noire VR also translates much better to working on GTAV than RDR2.

Most of what they learned from LA Noire VR was how to implement near field interactions, of which GTAV has very little.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Easy money would be that they're finally going to deliver on Agent, there's already a market for Metal Gear stealth type games in VR, and it's a deep enough cut to generate some serious hype

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Inacio posted:

i think Mapping Extensions is the one that lets you play maps that have awesome effects like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8OFzHL2aT0&t=173s (02:56). not sure about the name but the mod assistant tells you what the mods are anyway.
You should play this one, it's pretty awesome for the visuals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtU4WvpdVFA&t=70s

Probably works best with an Index or whatever else has a wider FOV.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah there’s already exists mods to play GTA5 and it’s apparently fantastic for driving around in VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4QD_ggjrK8
Alternate eye rendering, or whatever it does. Works so long your view doesn't rotate, e.g driving a curve. Because then it gets funky.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

You should play this one, it's pretty awesome for the visuals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtU4WvpdVFA&t=70s

drat, that looks sick
(but i have a Rift S :v:)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

This one maxes out whatever Mapping/Noodle extension does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQUpSRR90dY

The color theme is maybe a bit annoying.

Might introduce nausea, because it hides the far platform, which serves as kind of a visual anchor.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Might introduce nausea, because it hides the far platform, which serves as kind of a visual anchor.

holy poo poo, dude, that's insane. thanks for posting!

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
If they were porting GTA5 to VR, I wonder if it'd be more like LA Noire where they didn't port the full game, but instead customised a subset of missions / interactions so they could put greater focus on making it a more streamlined experience.

In some ways that's more work than just slapping a 3D camera on the player character and calling it a day, but it seemed to be the cautious option to not make everyone immediately sick.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So there is about a day left for the steam sale.

Anyone have any last second VR steals?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Dancing with anime girls VR is half off.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

These don’t work on quest do they?

(It’s still the best game on the quest modded, enjoying it so so much)

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Ahoyhoy, I just got an oculus quest, and Beat Saber and Superhot VR. Is there anything else crazily worth playing? I did like the Room on my phone whenever it came out. Kind of wondering how long the VR version would last, is it completely different from The Room in terms of puzzles, and also are sales frequent?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Von Linus posted:

Ahoyhoy, I just got an oculus quest, and Beat Saber and Superhot VR. Is there anything else crazily worth playing? I did like the Room on my phone whenever it came out. Kind of wondering how long the VR version would last, is it completely different from The Room in terms of puzzles, and also are sales frequent?

It's hard to give recommendations without a general idea of what you're after.

The Room VR is well regarded and is an original game, not a port, so it's puzzles are unique.

Sales on Quest aren't frequent or particularly generous as they're selling the headset at a discount, making up for it through store revenue. The best bargains are usually cross-buy games that get discounted for the Rift.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

SCheeseman posted:

It's hard to give recommendations without a general idea of what you're after.

The Room VR is well regarded and is an original game, not a port, so it's puzzles are unique.

Sales on Quest aren't frequent or particularly generous as they're selling the headset at a discount, making up for it through store revenue. The best bargains are usually cross-buy games that get discounted for the Rift.

Well, I think at this point a full speed shooter would be too much for me. Something that demonstrates VR well? in terms of manipulation of a 3d world, that's not too fast moviing. Thanks. I'm probably also going to get Tetris effect too fwiw.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

So there is about a day left for the steam sale.

Anyone have any last second VR steals?

I personally really like Sprint Vector.

I got this on a whim to play with friends (and gifted some copies), as part of my nefarious plan to trick people into exercising with me, and it's been one of the most fun games I've played. The gameplay is "what if Mario Kart but sprinting" and there are tons of paths through the different courses. It reminded me of old-school Sonic games, in terms of the upper/lower route dichotomy going on. The sense of humor of the game also reminded me of Monday Night Combat, of all things (the good one, not the lovely MOBA they put out).

Just be aware the multiplayer is kinda... dead. You'll need to sucker some other people into it with you if you want to race other people.

Novasol fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 8, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Novasol posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/590690/Sprint_Vector/ I got this on a whim to play with friends (and gifted some copies), as part of my nefarious plan to trick people into exercising with me, and it's been one of the most fun games I've played. Just be aware the multiplayer is kinda... dead. You'll need to sucker some other people into it with you if you want to race other people.

Sprint Vector is a LOT of fun, and it's a shame it never really got a good consistent fanbase going.

Von Linus posted:

The Room VR is quite good, and about as long as The Room 2 if that gives you an idea.

If you've only played The Room, go play 2 and 3 because they're also excellent.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Has anyone tried VRocker? It's a movement mod that translates head bobbing (like when walking in place) into smooth locomotion in any game. Looks promising. I need to try the demo to see if it's worth grabbing while on sale.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1143750/VRocker/

I then came across this which seems cool but also crazy.
https://youtu.be/_8iUa40BeUk

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Von Linus posted:

Well, I think at this point a full speed shooter would be too much for me. Something that demonstrates VR well? in terms of manipulation of a 3d world, that's not too fast moviing. Thanks. I'm probably also going to get Tetris effect too fwiw.

Eleven Table Tennis is pretty essential. It's more of a simulator than a game made by a very small team, but it's a hell of a simulator. It's perfectly comfortable, no artificial locomotion at all.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

SCheeseman posted:

Eleven Table Tennis is pretty essential. It's more of a simulator than a game made by a very small team, but it's a hell of a simulator. It's perfectly comfortable, no artificial locomotion at all.

Actually I thought that would be massively fast moving. I'm basically one eyed so my depth perception is non existent. Will have a look though thanks!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Von Linus posted:

You need to get one of the.. VR social games? I don't know what to call these. But VR chat, Rec Room, even Poker Stars. It's a pretty surreal experience if you've never done it before sitting and talking with other people in VR (or staying quiet and just watching). I think they're all free too.

If you end up liking Beat Saber a lot and wanting something similar take a look at Audica (Another music game) and Pistol Whip (Sort of a music game but also you shoot people in time to the music). I dunno what it is but the immersion of VR makes rhythm type games a much better experience for me

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Parallelwoody posted:

VRChat is already free. Can’t be half off of free

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Yall have any recommendations for driving/racing games? And, if you've played one, how's it feel if you don't have a wheel?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

hhhat posted:

Yall have any recommendations for driving/racing games? And, if you've played one, how's it feel if you don't have a wheel?

after 2 mos i literally just got my wheel. turns out corona is poo poo for shipping

yeah i used to play Assetto and PCars 2 with a controller and it's fine, enjoyed it a lot

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hhhat posted:

Dirt rally 2.0 is my favorite, plays just fine with a controller, also whips rear end in VR

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
thanks!

And for the joystick that I've rarely used, what's the best flying game I should try out in order to know i'm ready for playing x wing in the few months?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well my "PARTS ONLY" Vive wands arrived, and the one with the curious flashing red light mentioned in the eBay listing... was a low battery, maybe the firmware update I gave it?... :shrug:

The other one is definitely dead in some respect, as it won't connect via USB or turn on. I suspect a loose cable, but even if it isn't I can just gut it for the tracking ring for my own dodgy unit if the problem's on the motherboard. Either way I've got a working pair out of this lot.

It's curious, because both were listed for individual sale rather than as a pair and I just bought'em both. Oh well, I'm certainly not complaining :v:.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Von Linus posted:

Actually I thought that would be massively fast moving. I'm basically one eyed so my depth perception is non existent. Will have a look though thanks!

Physically moving isn't what makes you sick in VR, it's when your in-game position moves without corresponding real-world movement.

You'll be about as good at VR table tennis as you are in real life, you should be able to perceive depth to some extent through parallax which is conveyed in VR.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 8, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

These don’t work on quest do they?

(It’s still the best game on the quest modded, enjoying it so so much)
No idea, depends on the availability of mods.

Seems like there's quite a few differences in that regard. For instance, there's no more Scoresaber on Quest, so there's no shared scores anymore.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
For Virtual Desktop to work well with the Quest, do you need a dedicated router just for the Quest?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

KingKapalone posted:

For Virtual Desktop to work well with the Quest, do you need a dedicated router just for the Quest?

I'm just using the modem that my ISP provided, but I got lucky and have low latency with a transfer rate of 866 MB

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

KingKapalone posted:

No, it can work great if your have a really good router like an Asus RT-AC68U. Also having a 2000 series Nvidia GPU is a big help because they can encode with much lower latency, particularly HEVC.

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose

KingKapalone posted:

If you have a decent WiFi card/stick on your PC you can use Windows' mobile hotspot. I have an Eero mesh network and was able to play Alyx while my wife was on a zoom call.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Parallelwoody posted:

Also dancing with anime girls 2, furry vr girl dance, horror vr girl dance, beach vr girl dance....

When you got one gimmick I guess you ride that poo poo out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Congobongo posted:

If you have a decent WiFi card/stick on your PC you can use Windows' mobile hotspot. I have an Eero mesh network and was able to play Alyx while my wife was on a zoom call.

I had an Intel AC wifi thing on my motherboard that was supposed to be top of the like but I got more jitter and like 10ms higher latency with windows hotspot then my router. Not saying it didn't work for you but there's a lot of variables I guess.

Best way to tell for sure is to find a 60fps youtube video that counts up the frames, and take a picture with your smartphone capturing one lens of the VR and the monitor in the background at the same time, and compare the frame lag. I've gotten it so fast that the Quest frames can actually render before the monitor.