Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jymmybob posted:

sequencing

:gonk:

this how i get paid

Yuns posted:

Does Ghosn count?

ghosn and serge beefed like real men, through the media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
gently caress Tesla. My car is in the body shop. It's literally in the loving body shop before I took delivery.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yuns posted:

gently caress Tesla. My car is in the body shop. It's literally in the loving body shop before I took delivery.

Is it really “your” Tesla then? I hope you didn’t sign for it.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Is it really “your” Tesla then? I hope you didn’t sign for it.
Nope didn't sign for it. Didn't even get to pick it up. Exchanging texts/emails with them now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yuns posted:

lmao

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yuns posted:

Nope didn't sign for it. Didn't even get to pick it up. Exchanging texts/emails with them now.

I hope the texts are “I want a new, undamaged car”

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yuns posted:

Sounds like you’re getting the full Tesla experience. Why are you angry about it?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I hope the texts are “I want a new, undamaged car”

They'll just give him a different fixed car, and lie that it wasn't damaged.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

most companies just through like, experience and whatnot, make a better quality product over time

tesla has somehow not managed to do that, impressive

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I saw the photos. Not going to share them because I don't feel like getting doxxed by a car manufacturer. 2 paint defects. One is blistering in a linear line. Pretty clearly from contamination from some process before the paint. The second is clouding on another section of paint almost like a translucent rub mark. Could be any of a number of causes. My choice really is to get a different manufacturer's car now or wait until delivery to decide whether to reject. I'm already shopping for other cars. Normally, I'd just ask for a new car but given the track record, the chances of me getting a car in worse shape or one that has been rejected by someone else are pretty high. So I'm going to make this a simple yes/no decision.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Yuns posted:

That's... Actually pretty common industry wide.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PDI and quick fix for transport damage isn't uncommon but it's pretty uncommon for cars to have big paint flaws.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Yuns posted:

I saw the photos. Not going to share them because I don't feel like getting doxxed by a car manufacturer. 2 paint defects. One is blistering in a linear line. Pretty clearly from contamination from some process before the paint. The second is clouding on another section of paint almost like a translucent rub mark. Could be any of a number of causes. My choice really is to get a different manufacturer's car now or wait until delivery to decide whether to reject. I'm already shopping for other cars. Normally, I'd just ask for a new car but given the track record, the chances of me getting a car in worse shape or one that has been rejected by someone else are pretty high. So I'm going to make this a simple yes/no decision.

Did they call first to inform you of the damage and then send you pics? I don't know why they can't just find you another inventory car. Anyways sucks man, really sorry to hear it. Quarter end bullshit strikes again just so Elon can get his target stock price and fight with short sellers on twitter.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Yuns posted:

Tesla needs to hire a bunch of engineers from the traditional auto manufacturers to redesign their assembly process. I've been in BMW and GM plants and their processes and QC are impressive. There's none of this slap poo poo together and fix it in post attitude.

They can't, Rivian is stealing them all.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Throwing poo poo together and fixing it in post is a very costly way of doing things, there is no way all these post delivery service appointment statistics aren't going back to corporate where they will try to identify the root cause and find a new process or remedy that makes it not happen anymore. I'm sure it is one of their highest priorities, fixing bad QC in post is always more expensive than having good QC at manufacturing, but it takes time to get there and the more overloaded/stressed the system is the longer it takes.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
My dad did some siding work at a GM plant in the 90s and told me he saw vehicles with major paint flaws coming off the line. The difference is they parked the messed up cars in a side lot and didn't ship them out to customers. He said that a lot of them just got scrapped rather than them taking the time to fix the paint as well.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Jimong5 posted:

My dad did some siding work at a GM plant in the 90s and told me he saw vehicles with major paint flaws coming off the line. The difference is they parked the messed up cars in a side lot and didn't ship them out to customers. He said that a lot of them just got scrapped rather than them taking the time to fix the paint as well.

My 2017 volt had way more problems than my Tesla has. My model 3 has improved quite a few things since I bought it, the volt they couldn't even do a radio update correctly at the (multiple) dealerships I took it to.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Here is the Mach E and Model Y side by side. I like the look of the front of the Mach E but visibility doesn't seem that great, especially out of the rear.

https://imgur.com/a/hl6m489/

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

ClassH posted:

Here is the Mach E and Model Y side by side. I like the look of the front of the Mach E but visibility doesn't seem that great, especially out of the rear.

The Y has terrible visibility as well due to the angle of the hatch. You can offset this by keeping the rear camera up on the screen but it's still annoying.

I like the contextual control knob on the screen in the Mach E but dislike the vertical mount.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Indiana_Krom posted:

Throwing poo poo together and fixing it in post is a very costly way of doing things, there is no way all these post delivery service appointment statistics aren't going back to corporate where they will try to identify the root cause and find a new process or remedy that makes it not happen anymore. I'm sure it is one of their highest priorities, fixing bad QC in post is always more expensive than having good QC at manufacturing, but it takes time to get there and the more overloaded/stressed the system is the longer it takes.

it would work like this in a normal company but tesla is not a normal company so who tf knows whats going on

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

ClassH posted:

Yeah, I think both of these vehicles look fine, not earth shattering but respectable. It is kind of disappointing the rear visibility out of these hatchbacks is so poor though.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ClassH posted:

My 2017 volt had way more problems than my Tesla has. My model 3 has improved quite a few things since I bought it, the volt they couldn't even do a radio update correctly at the (multiple) dealerships I took it to.

Many GM dealers have a real problem servicing anything electrical it seems. And I don't understand why... I've seen a lot of the servicing material concerning the Volt. The instructions basically walk you through step by step what to do.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Indiana_Krom posted:

Yeah, I think both of these vehicles look fine, not earth shattering but respectable. It is kind of disappointing the rear visibility out of these hatchbacks is so poor though.

This is pretty much a lot of new cars, though, as they raise the beltlines. Apparently that's easier than better engineering to meet side impact regs, or so I've heard opined. Gives everything a "no-neck" appearance.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Yuns posted:

Aw man, you didn’t even get a chance to perform the indoor waterfall test or have the frozen touch screen experience.

That darn Tesla.

So now you have the pleasure of tweeting @elon on twitter just to get customer service. Then let all the Tesla fanboy tell you why this is normal and growing pains and they’ll fix it.

Btw have you bought some Tesla stock lately? It’s so undervalued now you should see them in 10 years when the model omega is roaming around on Mars.

To the Mars!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

The Gunslinger posted:

Did they call first to inform you of the damage and then send you pics? I don't know why they can't just find you another inventory car. Anyways sucks man, really sorry to hear it. Quarter end bullshit strikes again just so Elon can get his target stock price and fight with short sellers on twitter.
They texted me to say. We found an imperfection while inspecting the car, we sent it to the body shop to make it perfect. Are you available on __ date for delivery. I left a text and emails asking basically: Hey WTF? What's wrong with the car? They called me back and I demanded they go over the damage with me. They then offered the photos because of the detail I was requesting.

Also Audi called me about the e-tron so I'll be test driving it tomorrow or Friday.

ilkhan posted:

That's... Actually pretty common industry wide.
I can accept that things can happen in delivery and there may be some minor work needed but I have trouble believing that other auto manufacturers would routinely miss issues of this type (paint defect from a process issue) in QC and wait until 2 days before delivery to inform the purchaser and then delay delivery to send it to a third party shop to fix before attempting redelivery.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 8, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That actually sounds like one of the better delivery experiences. The paint defect is probably caused by the bloody phlegma of someone dying of Covid-19 and a really rushed delivery procedure would just be to don't mention it and make you hurry in a dimly lit room.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Darchangel posted:

This is pretty much a lot of new cars, though, as they raise the beltlines. Apparently that's easier than better engineering to meet side impact regs, or so I've heard opined. Gives everything a "no-neck" appearance.

Trying to meet the impact standards with lower beltlines would require a lot more advanced materials, and therefore cost.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Ola posted:

That actually sounds like one of the better delivery experiences. The paint defect is probably caused by the bloody phlegma of someone dying of Covid-19 and a really rushed delivery procedure would just be to don't mention it and make you hurry in a dimly lit room.

Lol.

That’s a funny picture, Elon is standing in the production line of the model Y with yeezy. Both of them standing there arms crossed, frowns on. The line worker starts assembling the car panels and feels a tickle in his throat and coughs. The employee looks at Elon and now both him and yeezy are wearing masks with “Kanye 2020” on it.

The employee goes back to work but less than a minute later he coughs up a bloody mucus on a customers Model Y and dies.

The robots toss the employee’s body in the next rocket for starlink, and world keeps on spinning.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

Lol.

That’s a funny picture, Elon is standing in the production line of the model Y with yeezy. Both of them standing there arms crossed, frowns on. The line worker starts assembling the car panels and feels a tickle in his throat and coughs. The employee looks at Elon and now both him and yeezy are wearing masks with “Kanye 2020” on it.

The employee goes back to work but less than a minute later he coughs up a bloody mucus on a customers Model Y and dies.

The robots toss the employee’s body in the next rocket for starlink, and world keeps on spinning.

Does Tesla have a Shotwell-type CXO? Seems like it would really be good to shield the day to day folks from Elon.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Yuns posted:

I have trouble believing that other auto manufacturers would routinely miss issues of this type (paint defect from a process issue) in QC and wait until 2 days before delivery to inform the purchaser and then delay delivery to send it to a third party shop to fix before attempting redelivery.

p much, although they would have a process that doesn't leave that level of contamination in the first place.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I almost think getting into the body shop before delivery is like hitting the tesla lottery. The body shop people are probably gonna have higher standards than the assembly line QA. The consensus I gather is that they're great cars once you get whatever's initially wrong with them repaired. Seems like you're getting to skip a step.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Trying to meet the impact standards with lower beltlines would require a lot more advanced materials, and therefore cost.

Who needs to see outside of the car, anyway?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Yeah I'm actually shocked they didn't just see if you'd take delivery because you're committed to "the cause." Or else promise to fix it later and see if they can give you the runaround.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yuns posted:

I've been in BMW and GM plants and their processes and QC are impressive.
:thunk:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Who needs to see outside of the car, anyway?

While I miss being able to comfortably have one arm out the window when driving around on a nice day, I am reminded of why it is nice to have a tall beltline when a factory-fresh 4x4 F-250 pulls up next to me in traffic. Seriously, those fuckers are tall even before they're lifted

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Yuns posted:

Blistering is probably the most yikes defect you can have in surface finishing because it's like not having a coating but you can't tell how much and it almost always gets worse over time. It's about the biggest red flag I can imagine and if it's really a layer peeling from a lower layer then I'd personally walk away but then again I still have nightmares about blistering coatings from my previous job so ymmv.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
When is tesla just going to skip directly to shipping cars with only primer and having body shops do the paint?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

gwrtheyrn posted:

When is tesla just going to skip directly to shipping cars with only primer and having body shops do the paint?

Don’t they already constantly change the base “free” paint color based on what’s cheapest?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don’t they already constantly change the base “free” paint color based on what’s cheapest?

i kinda respect this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm starting to think there's a reason other OEMs don't paint in a tent and have massive end of quarter rushes right after announcing merit bonuses will not be paid this quarter