Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm starting to think there's a reason other OEMs don't paint in a tent and have massive end of quarter rushes right after announcing merit bonuses will not be paid this quarter

Clearly because they're not ambitious enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm starting to think there's a reason other OEMs don't paint in a tent and have massive end of quarter rushes right after announcing merit bonuses will not be paid this quarter

Be careful what you say about the worlds most valuable automaker, sir

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
ThEy'Re NoT An AuToMaKeR ThEy'Re A TeChNoLoGy CoMpAnyY!!!!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Indiana_Krom posted:

Throwing poo poo together and fixing it in post is a very costly way of doing things, there is no way all these post delivery service appointment statistics aren't going back to corporate where they will try to identify the root cause and find a new process or remedy that makes it not happen anymore. I'm sure it is one of their highest priorities, fixing bad QC in post is always more expensive than having good QC at manufacturing, but it takes time to get there and the more overloaded/stressed the system is the longer it takes.

It has been a poo poo show for 12 years with no sign of improvement. If anything, Tesla seems to be moving backwards.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

gwrtheyrn posted:

When is tesla just going to skip directly to shipping cars with only primer and having body shops do the paint?

Cybrtrk

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

ClassH posted:

Here is the Mach E and Model Y side by side. I like the look of the front of the Mach E but visibility doesn't seem that great, especially out of the rear.

https://imgur.com/a/hl6m489/

The Y look like such a turd. Absolutely blown out by it's competition from every angle.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I like the Mach E especially the GT version but Ford sending most to Europe and dealers charging hefty premiums above MSRP are going to hurt it.

I can get an X plan which would get me -2% off MSRP + $275 on pricing which combined with a $7500 Federal tax credit and NJ $5000 rebate on models whose MSRP is less than $55,000 means I could in theory get a Mach E Premium AWD Standard Range (210 mi) for $52,700-2%+$275-$7500-$5000=$39,421 which is reasonable.

The Mach E Premium RWD with extended battery (300 mi) is the highest trim model you can get while keeping the NJ rebate which makes it $55,000-2%+$275-$7500-$5000=$41,675

The Mach E GT with AWD and extended battery (250 mi; Premium with AWD and extended battery is 270 mi but is slower) would be 60,500-2%+$275-$7500=$52,065 because I lose the NJ tax credit.

None of this math works if you have dealers asking as much as $15,000 above MSRP and refusing to honor X plans. That Ford dealer behavior is what caused me not to buy a number of vehicles in the past including forgoing a Raptor.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 9, 2020

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Speleothing posted:

The Y look like such a turd. Absolutely blown out by it's competition from every angle.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the look either, the hump on the back looks ridiculous with the Model 3 front end. I really like the look of the Model X but it's insanely expensive and the doors sound like a costly nightmare to deal with out of warranty.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Personally I think the X is passable from the front and the ugliest of all from all other angles. S is a good looking car, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The X is a beefy car and not in a good way

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yuns posted:

I like the Mach E especially the GT version but Ford sending most to Europe and dealers charging hefty premiums above MSRP are going to hurt it.

I can get an X plan which would get me -2% off MSRP + $275 on pricing which combined with a $7500 Federal tax credit and NJ $5000 rebate on models whose MSRP is less than $55,000 means I could in theory get a Mach E Premium AWD Standard Range (210 mi) for $52,700-2%+$275-$7500-$5000=$39,421 which is reasonable.

The Mach E Premium RWD with extended battery (300 mi) is the highest trim model you can get while keeping the NJ rebate which makes it $55,000-2%+$275-$7500-$5000=$41,675

The Mach E GT with AWD and extended battery (250 mi; Premium with AWD and extended battery is 270 mi but is slower) would be 60,500-2%+$275-$7500=$52,065 because I lose the NJ tax credit.

None of this math works if you have dealers asking as much as $15,000 above MSRP and refusing to honor X plans. That Ford dealer behavior is what caused me not to buy a number of vehicles in the past including forgoing a Raptor.

Where did you see most are getting sent to Europe?

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 9, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

bird with big dick posted:

Where did you see most are getting sent to Europe?
Electrek was claiming that 60% needed to go to Europe in order to meet EU regulatory goals.

https://electrek.co/2019/11/27/eu-regs-mean-theyll-get-majority-of-fords-50k-first-year-mach-e-production/

But other publications say European distribution is delayed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Speleothing posted:

Personally I think the X is passable from the front and the ugliest of all from all other angles. S is a good looking car, though.

The X is acceptable looking on the optional 22” wheels, but looks absolutely terrible on anything else.

The Y is... I don’t understand the market’s infatuation with SUVs at all.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Yuns posted:

Yea, ford dealerships are crazy, but you just have to find a good one. We drove 3 hours to buy our escape hybrid, because all the dealers closer just disnt give a flying gently caress about selling is a hybrid. But we found a nice quiet dealership out in the sticks and the price and buying experience were awesome.

Also we love the escape hybrid so I would definitely go for a mach E before a tesla.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Speleothing posted:

Totally with you from the front, I haven't liked the front end of any Teslas since the facelifted S. The 3 and Y both look like derpy fish.

That said from the back, god drat that Mach E is hideous

The attempt to force Mustang tail lights on it is just horrible, where the Y by comparison looks like any other stupid modern crossover with a "coupe" roofline.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

wolrah posted:

That said from the back, god drat that Mach E is hideous

The attempt to force Mustang tail lights on it is just horrible, where the Y by comparison looks like any other stupid modern crossover with a "coupe" roofline.
If they had gone with conventional lights, it would have looked fine but jamming that Mustang "heritage" in there looks really weird and awkward. I bet they facelift that away in the first refresh.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

It's not good, but it's better than the Y

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's just the lights but unfortunately they are a weird shape.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I think all crossovers are ugly. Bring back wagons.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Buick brought over an opel insignia wagon, nobody bought one.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Finger Prince posted:

CTS-V wagon was cool too and no one bought one of those either especially the CTS-V wagon with manual transmission.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

no but you see if it had just been manual and diesel and brown and not had the cladding people would surely have bought it! stupid gm product planners

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don’t they already constantly change the base “free” paint color based on what’s cheapest?

"You can have any color you want, as long as it's painted badly" - Elon Musk

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Finger Prince posted:

I actually saw one of those the other day, and did a triple-take because I didn't know GM had done it. Thing is legitimately good looking.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yuns posted:

CTS-V wagon was cool too and no one bought one of those either especially the CTS-V wagon with manual transmission.

People did buy them, just not in the Earth-shattering numbers that the manufacturers will deem viable. No one will court the niche market, even if it's subsidized by the car being successful in another market.

MrYenko posted:

I actually saw one of those the other day, and did a triple-take because I didn't know GM had done it. Thing is legitimately good looking.

It is! As I recall, you can even get the turbo engine.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

VideoGameVet posted:

:golfclap:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The word “crossover” barely means anything anymore. The Mach-E has about the same ground clearance as an E-class wagon it’s just got a few inches added to the roof. It’s a wagon with a slightly more upright seating position.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I like the new update, you can use the side cameras to check blind spots now.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Nfcknblvbl posted:

yeah its pretty sweet

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Thread title

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Yuns posted:

When I was out of college looking for a new car, I was quoted $300+ a month on a Fiesta lease. I almost laughed in the guy's face before leaving and never going back.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Is the car orange or yellow?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Finger Prince posted:

My coworker has one, it's quite nice, and a genuinely attractive car.

Eagerly awaiting a brown, RWD EV, station wagon, with a 300 mile range, for under 30k, as soon as a car make caves to my meager request I'll pull the trigger and buy it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Elviscat posted:

My coworker has one, it's quite nice, and a genuinely attractive car.

Eagerly awaiting a brown, RWD EV, station wagon, with a 300 mile range, for under 30k, as soon as a car make caves to my meager request I'll pull the trigger and buy it.

RCR did a review of one, and yeah it looks really good! It might have sold better if the dealerships had half a clue how to sell it and who to sell it to. I only knew it existed from the RCR segment.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Tesla can and will continue to fail upwards so long as nobody else seriously tries to sell long range EVs to the US market. Only GM comes anywhere near, and I believe the Model 3 sold more in California than the Bolt did in the entire US.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Tesla can and will continue to fail upwards so long as nobody else seriously tries to sell long range EVs to the US market. Only GM comes anywhere near, and I believe the Model 3 sold more in California than the Bolt did in the entire US.
Even if GM had a totally competitive long range EV it would still struggle to sell because of a lack of charging infrastructure. Tesla isn't dominating the US EV market because of features or quality, or even range on a single charge, they are dominating because of the supercharging network.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Agreed, and even though people will say access to fast chargers is overrated, it goes a long way to convincing someone that an EV could work for them.

I don't know why automakers aren't teaming up to build out infra. Buy some parcels of land off the interstate outside of cities, plop a porta potty and a vending machine, bing bang boom.

It's because they don't want to sell them and they're hoping this whole thing blows over.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

That's also why most automakers are in permanent "wait and see" mode. Why invest 2 billion in open standard charging infrastructure when %COMPETING_AUTOMAKER will do it for you??? :viggo: Then you can pull ahead!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Well, Tesla has also lost, collectively, ~6 billion dollars over a decade and has only ever turned a profit in any quarter by selling carbon credits. Traditional auto makers can’t juice their stock price any time they want by tweeting lunacy so they’re a little more cautious about lighting large sums of money on fire to try and build a market.

Even then most automakers are taking it seriously. The Mach-E being a small run for its first year isn’t a sign that it’s a compliance car, it’s a sign that supply for battery components is constrained and that there are a lot of technical hurdles to launching your first EV and a slow rollout probably makes sense.

We are still very early in the transition to electric power in cars (unfortunately, for climate reasons) and the market will probably look very different in a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Westy543 posted:

That's also why most automakers are in permanent "wait and see" mode. Why invest 2 billion in open standard charging infrastructure when %COMPETING_AUTOMAKER will do it for you??? :viggo: Then you can pull ahead!

Electrify America is making some really significant strides in the charging game, combined with local networks I can use fast charging to road trip to almost anywhere in my State with my Leaf.

If I'm very careful.

And very patient.