Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

Weapon wise, its a bit more complicated. Basically their weapons are unmoddable, and will also use unmodded base crits/status and damage type. However, when set to Hold Position they don't seem to reload. They also get a pass on damage/range falloff. I've heard Acceltra is a great choice, and shedu makes a great turret. I get good mileage out of Exergis. Semi-auto's can be good, as they spam them at near max rate of fire. More detail in some of the links below.
My trinity specter has a Tigris P, because DE never patched them to make them need to reload. Regardless of whatever damage scaling DE use in lieu of mods, she whacks out about 15 shots in the same time a player can fire 2 and reload, making it somewhat respectable.
A Hek or Vectis would be a good low-MR way to cheese the damage system.

And sure, I didn't mean to call them useless. Arbitrations are the niche I was thinking about, along with self-inflicted long defence/survival runs.
I only had them on my mind at all, because last night I found three newbies trying to level things on Helene, and they were asking me how levelling works, because they've repeated 5 waves many times and made no progress. Threw out the trin/ancient combo and carried them through to about wave 40. None of them ever went down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I still can't reach content that I would ever consider needing a Spectre in, mainly because I play mainly solo and the game doesn't let you get above level 200 enemies solo unless you're sitting around endlessly in excavation waiting for one stupid power generator to spawn.

They really really really need to fix spawn rates for solo players.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Why only use radiation on railjack? I'm more or less just starting out that content

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Yeah finding a group for so/eso on switch can be difficult, especially in the morning. I find it hard to keep efficiency up cos theres just not enough baddies to kill

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Flipswitch posted:

Why only use radiation on railjack? I'm more or less just starting out that content

Huh? That makes no sense, afaik all the enemies there have ferrite armor, including sentients. Unless you mean archguns, then I have no idea what's meta now

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

BMan posted:

Huh? That makes no sense, afaik all the enemies there have ferrite armor, including sentients. Unless you mean archguns, then I have no idea what's meta now
Sorry there was a big quoted post on the last page, saying to use Radiation for Railjack? Or did I misunderstand?

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
All the fighters in railjack have alloy armor, which radiation has a 75% bonus against. Dual elements don't have a proc in railjack, so only the damage bonus is important. Avoiding single elements is good too because the base particle (space slash) and plasma (space puncture) procs are significantly better. But it doesn't matter that much because it's never really worth it to shoot fighters with archwing guns.

The grunts are the same as grineer anywhere else, viral/heat works best.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

el dingo posted:

Yeah finding a group for so/eso on switch can be difficult, especially in the morning. I find it hard to keep efficiency up cos theres just not enough baddies to kill

Seriously. I took an explosive ledger Mirage to regular SO and I couldn't get above 12 instances in spite of killing things as soon as they spawned

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

This is for two reasons! I'll tackle the more complex first. The root cause is here: https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Damage#Empyrean_Damage_System

Railjack mode offers a 'status 2.5' sort of ship damage/status system that's a hybrid of the damage 2.0 you know and love and entirely new statuses throw atop it. It works like this:
All the old base IPS+non-combo elements map to a new status effect. (I P S, cold, heat, elec, viral)(RJ guns do these new damage types natively; archguns are mapped to the new system while in RJ)
Combination elements exist as a damage type booster but are not mapped to a new status type. (you can't corossive your way through in railjack)

In order to understand why this is important, we need to look at which status effect is chosen when a weapon causes status. A gun doesn't JUST just go 'oh I rolled my 50% status chance per shot coinflip', you then look at your damage, and choose one within that spread, proportionally. If you don't do slash damage, you can't inflict slash damage, if you don't do impact, you can't inflict impact. If Puncture is 90% of your weapons damage, you're chosen status is going to be Punture 90% of the time.
For the sake of example, if you have 100% SC and your gun does 100 impact, 100 slash and 100 puncture for 300 damage total, then the odds of slash being chosen are 1 in 3. (100 out of 300) If you double slash to 200 and keep the others the same, then it will be 200 out of 400, or half the time you cause status it will be slash, modified by your rng luck. You add elements on top of that? It still uses the same pool. (Thankfully, the 'elementals 1/4 less likely to occur rule has been scrapped).
If you take that same 100 each physical weapon, and add +90% heat then suddenly tehe same weapon becomes 100/100/100/270 , and slash is 17.5%. This is due to elementals are calculated off base IPS.
Its worse for combo elements. If you make blast (another 90% mod that combines), it 100/100/100/540, and slash is 100 out of 840 likely, or 11 percent, thus further diluting the rainbow spread.

Basically the more damage you do of one type, the more likely that status is be chosen when status happens. For more information, here is some reading: https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Status_Effect#Damage_Distribution

Now, within Empyrean/railjack missions specifically: Damage 2.0 combo elements are NOT MAPPED to empyrean statuses because they have no analog, but the damage type exists for doing more or less damage. This will be important later. (As a practical exercise, this means that Velocitus, will never inflict magnetic status despite having it as an innate damage because the status doesn't exist in Empyrean. )

More reading here:https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Damage#Empyrean_Damage_System

Cold becomes Frost which does Immobilize: Target ship's weapons are disabled and it slows down to a complete stop. Lasts for 6 seconds. Additional procs refresh duration. (this is why cold archmelee is good, you can slap fighters while reloading, then shoot them, but you want to double stack the cold mods)
Puncture becomes Plasma, which does: Decompress: Target ship has reduced shields and armor for 20 seconds. Additional procs stack additively.
Slash becomes Particle which does Tear: Target ship receives 7.5% increased damage for 20 seconds. Additional procs stack multiplicatively with itself.

Plasma is the New Heat proc of Empyrean. You want to halve something's armor? Plasma proc it once or twice.
Slash Particle damage escalates all further damage, including itself, snowballing out of control until something dies. This is what you want.

Have you ever noticed how some higher level crewships don't die in one artillery shot? Light it up with the pilot gun first. You can one shot most crewships without the forward artillery mod if you halve their armor! Seriously, plasma is great. (you also need a gunner that can hold off shooting for like 2 seconds)

Now, where this comes together is this:
ANYTHING you care about killing in railjack is vulnerable to radiation. Even crewships. Especailly crewships See:https://imgur.com/a/wjXJf2q

Now, because Radiation Damage is a combo element, it is NOT MAPPED to empyrean status tables. It does not count at all when deciding which status is inflicted. this is huge. It means if you build your Archgun for radiation you can take advantage of the innate boost and still cause other statuses.

Anyway, the Cyngas has 30% base status chance, can get over 100% normally, and has an even IPS spread, so you cause a ton of status and a lot of Slash particle and a few puncture plasma.

A basic 0 forma cyngas build Season with Automatic trigger or the non dual status elementals to taste. It can carry you through the veil with minimal investment. On the ground its not bad either, and one of the gravimag guns that benefits from Deadly Efficiency natively.
The new velocitus is plenty good in railjack too, but its definitely a brute force damage monster. Its so long ranged that the leading indicator doesn't really work with it.
Phaedra CAN do the cyngas thing too, but not as well. If you can get a negative puncture riven for it, though, it can become a super cyngas.

Pilot gun wise, nearly every gun does Plasma. (except the cryophon)
Apocs are the only gun that does both plasma AND particle, the lavan of which is status leaning, but the ROF and status % is low (14% at best)
Carcinex's are my preference. The low Plasma % doesn't matter because the ROF is so high.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Steel Path trip report: Grineer are as obnoxiously tanky as ever, bring a dedicated armor stripping frame like Mag, Hildryn, Oberon, etc. or you're going to have a bad time. Thanks for nerfing corpro DE! :bravo:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Since archwing is mentioned, I just wanted to share a PSA I learned this week playing protea.
Her universal ammo drop is entirely universal, meaning it re-fills the archgun (removes the 5min Archgun Deployer cooldown completely)

If you want to level/forma one of these without sitting in that one mobile defence mission until your eyes and ears bleed, you now have a way.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Khablam posted:

Since archwing is mentioned, I just wanted to share a PSA I learned this week playing protea.
Her universal ammo drop is entirely universal, meaning it re-fills the archgun (removes the 5min Archgun Deployer cooldown completely)

If you want to level/forma one of these without sitting in that one mobile defence mission until your eyes and ears bleed, you now have a way.

It doesn't remove the cooldown. Can certainly keep you sustained, though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

post your steel path loadouts or at least the guns and such you're using

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

It doesn't remove the cooldown. Can certainly keep you sustained, though.
If you're holding it, the drop counts as picking up a heavy ammo pack, so it's the same mechanic.
If you just re-gen the ammo expended through temporal anchor I think the cooldown will still apply.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
steel path feels like the content Garuda was designed for, two years after Garuda's introduction

Khablam posted:

Kuva Ayanga on Protea is fun times.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Khablam posted:

If you're holding it, the drop counts as picking up a heavy ammo pack, so it's the same mechanic.
If you just re-gen the ammo expended through temporal anchor I think the cooldown will still apply.
The cooldown applies when you put your archgun away. Protea's ammo packs will restore heavy ammo but will do absolutely nothing about the cooldown.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Goddamnit someone just pointed out that Protea is just a shittier Mesa and now I don't feel like using Protea anymore :sigh:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Guilty posted:

Goddamnit someone just pointed out that Protea is just a shittier Mesa and now I don't feel like using Protea anymore :sigh:

Look on the bright side, she's also shittier Vauban and Wisp. Granum should demand his money back.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

The cooldown applies when you put your archgun away. Protea's ammo packs will restore heavy ammo but will do absolutely nothing about the cooldown.
I don't know where you're getting this from, but what the wiki describes is exactly how it's worked for me.
From the wiki - Universal Ammo Pack restores Atmospheric Archgun ammo and cooldown upon collection [...] Picking up Heavy Ammo also resets the Archgun Deployer's 5-minute cooldown. Ammo Case's ammo conversion does not work on grounded Arch-guns

Even if it didn't work, you could still put it away after re-filling your ammo to get the 0-second cooldown.

Guilty posted:

I guess you could argue any DPS frame is the same?
Protea is functionally invulnerable in a survival/defence, and has zero energy cost on using her abilities. I find her more fun than aim-bot mode anyway.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 9, 2020

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Khablam posted:

I don't know where you're getting this from

Standing out on the plains doing actual testing.

Khablam posted:

Even if it didn't work, you could still put it away after re-filling your ammo to get the 0-second cooldown.

Unfortunately, that's not how it works. There's still a minimum cooldown time unless you pick up one of the enemy drop archgun ammo packs.

E: Apparently they changed this while I wasn't looking. If you have full ammo before you put the archgun away it can be resummoned immediately. Protea still will not restore ammo/lower the cooldown of stowed archguns, however.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 9, 2020

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Guilty posted:

they're not even the same archetype and they have almost nothing in common, beyond the fact that they each have an ability that autoaims in two wildly different fashions, but okay

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Guilty posted:

I've got two builds (going from memory) and both are better than Mesa for what they do. Guns build is for low level exterm stuff, where I can drop the guns and run without stopping, making her faster than Mesa for clearing those. Corpro, Power Drift, PCont, Stretch, Augur Secrets, Streamline, Narrow Minded, Augur Reach, UIntensify, TransFort.

The second build I stole from kxzyle and it owns. Overextended grenades lock down massive spaces for defense/mobdef/interception and this continues working quite nicely at 100+. Your 3 (combined with Energize) gives you effectively infinite energy. He uses Aerodynamic and Patagium to fly around with the midair hops from grenade throws, but it works fine with Corpro/Power Drift. Blind Rage, Overextended, Stretch, PCont, PFlow, Augur Message, UIntensify, Equilibrium.

Mesa is still the queen of making GBS threads out damage to stuff she can see. She's the better pick when the enemies scale up enough that you can't drop a turret in an exterm and have it blast everything in the hallway as you run though.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Has anyone else had trouble cracking relics on the new corpus interception tile-set?
If I drop in solo because MM doesn't find a team, I have to balance the scores so tenno barely wins / leave a lot neutral for enough enemies to have dropped reactant before 100%.
If I do it in a team of 4, and in one case took a speedva, holding all points fails to drop enough 2/3 times (worked twice in 6 runs). This is with 4 people making an attempt to explore all the verticality to make sure we weren't missing guys stuck in a corner or something. Leaving a point uncapped is still barely enough.

I'm wondering if I have just been hellishly unlucky or other people have experienced the same.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Soothing Vapors posted:

they're not even the same archetype and they have almost nothing in common, beyond the fact that they each have an ability that autoaims in two wildly different fashions, but okay

why play frame, when other frame exist?

can't wait to finish leveling bad frame, so i can play good frame. warframe.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Mailer posted:

I've got two builds (going from memory) and both are better than Mesa for what they do. Guns build is for low level exterm stuff, where I can drop the guns and run without stopping, making her faster than Mesa for clearing those. Corpro, Power Drift, PCont, Stretch, Augur Secrets, Streamline, Narrow Minded, Augur Reach, UIntensify, TransFort.

The second build I stole from kxzyle and it owns. Overextended grenades lock down massive spaces for defense/mobdef/interception and this continues working quite nicely at 100+. Your 3 (combined with Energize) gives you effectively infinite energy. He uses Aerodynamic and Patagium to fly around with the midair hops from grenade throws, but it works fine with Corpro/Power Drift. Blind Rage, Overextended, Stretch, PCont, PFlow, Augur Message, UIntensify, Equilibrium.

Mesa is still the queen of making GBS threads out damage to stuff she can see. She's the better pick when the enemies scale up enough that you can't drop a turret in an exterm and have it blast everything in the hallway as you run though.

That grenade build sounds interesting will have to give it a shot. The guns build I'm not a huge fan of, still feel like I'd rather just have a Mesa. I still haven't found something that can take my Protea up to 70/80ish levels, I'm still tinkering with it. But my Mesa easily clears 200, so it's difficult for me to justify the guns build. Thanks for the tips on nades! Will try it out

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Khablam posted:

Has anyone else had trouble cracking relics on the new corpus interception tile-set?
If I drop in solo because MM doesn't find a team, I have to balance the scores so tenno barely wins / leave a lot neutral for enough enemies to have dropped reactant before 100%.
If I do it in a team of 4, and in one case took a speedva, holding all points fails to drop enough 2/3 times (worked twice in 6 runs). This is with 4 people making an attempt to explore all the verticality to make sure we weren't missing guys stuck in a corner or something. Leaving a point uncapped is still barely enough.

I'm wondering if I have just been hellishly unlucky or other people have experienced the same.

never go into an interception fissure

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The way fissures work is, enemies have to be corrupted by a void fissure appearing over them (loud crash sound, gold particle effects, mobs get that weird pixel filter applied to them) before they start dropping reactant.

Therefore, the best strategy is to not kill enemies so fast, and instead allow them to hang around until a fissure spawns over them. This is why some maps are bad for void fissures, the corpus ship interception map is ridiculously large, with a huge vertical component, seperating enemies from each other.

In a good map, (Grineer Ship Intercept, Grineer Shipyard), Interception is honestly one of the fastest ways to crack relics. Not quite as fast as Excavation Fissures, but far more reliable.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Steel path offers nice spawns but not increased npc damage.
Rewards suck tho.

ps
ez pz kuva* nukor still deletes entire rooms

pps
sp stalker is a bullet sponge of massive proportions

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 9, 2020

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Early hardmode impressions:
-khora dx is better than i expected, actually colors relatively nicely (for a liger skin)
-comes with a kitty skin! but it's kinda halfassed and coloring it is a pain. Oh well
-spoiler tenshin should be 2 distinct armors. That store is empty enough.

-regular steel path nodes are fun and actually feel appropriate for a full squad of kitted out, forma gobbling veterans mashing buttons for huge numbers. Probably would be a shitshow without the arbitration requirement.
-bad nodes in regular warframe are now even more badder. Halfheartedly hoping for a bit of tweaking, but i wont hold my breath.
-boy its gonna suck when people solve it and usage histograms tilt hard and DE's only idea is to nerf any tools

-DE sucks for naming it Steel Path, because the "SP" abbreviation is awful and makes everyone sound like theyre really into singleplayer.

BMan posted:

never go into an interception fissure
They're usually fine. Certain group/tile/enemy conditions means you're cutting it very close, so a safety uncapped point helps.
Sadly the new corpus tile is just a multilevel mess of horrible broken pathfinding tho. It's miserably slow in defense, awkward in interception. Would probably make a good UT deathmatch arena tho?

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 9, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Hi I’m just starting this stupid game.

Aside from paying money to play Barbie dress up, what do I need to know?

e: Just got done leveling enough to gently caress Corpus in it's stupid rear end after seeing the Fortuna cutscene.

e2: signed up for goon clan

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 9, 2020

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks for the super post TheParadigm! Very helpful! :)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

goatsestretchgoals posted:

e: Just got done leveling enough to gently caress Corpus in it's stupid rear end after seeing the Fortuna cutscene.

Oh trust me, you have not seen the full punchableness of the Corpus' stupid faces. I'm not even sure I have.

And you've got the right idea with the money for space ninja Barbie clothes, but you don't need to spend a cent yourself. Sell rares to whales and you can buy all the weird-rear end clothes you want.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Helter Skelter posted:

E: Apparently they changed this while I wasn't looking. If you have full ammo before you put the archgun away it can be resummoned immediately. Protea still will not restore ammo/lower the cooldown of stowed archguns, however.

IIRC this has always been the case.

Its why Ammo Chain is the best gravimag mode mod: Your cooldown only kicks in (proportionately) if you're under 100% ammo, but if you double it, 101-200% ammo count is penalty free.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Hi I’m just starting this stupid game.

Aside from paying money to play Barbie dress up, what do I need to know?

e2: signed up for goon clan

Basically all the prime stuff is tradable, and in some cases it may be easier to get a prime than the basic quest frame, due to stupid drop table shenanigans.

If you ever want to know where something is, the droptables are public and googleable.

The wiki is a godsend. There's a ton of stupid outdated spaghetti mechanics that are in a perpetual state of being backburnered for revisement.

Take a moment and add all the slots (frame and weapon), forma, orokin catalysts and reactors to your Wishlist (its in the market, the star button - I don't know why they removed the text entry')

Lastly: Play the game -slowly-. Take your time, don't rush into content. Play other things on the side.
There's a lot to get through, manage the burnout, and don't rush to the end. Set goals, focus on quests, and have fun with it

Oh, and try to pick up a syndicate pair early. Doesn't matter which one. Steel meridian is cool and helpful, red veil are edgelords, hexis are murder monks, suda is an artsy ai, loka are space hippies and perrin are reformed/benevolent capitalists. You can swap later, if you don't mind a bit of time investment repairing relations.
The reason is because a lot of augments and things are tradable and its basically a great way to get small amounts of plat for slots and things just from playing.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 9, 2020

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
cruising through steel path with protea and baruuk has been pretty chill so far. enemies not falling over to a slight breeze is nice to actually get some use out of all the turret punchthrough and multiplier.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Those Dax/Orokin operator outfits look neat. I haven't really touched my operator cosmetics so I may have to splurge on them...

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Those Dax/Orokin operator outfits look neat. I haven't really touched my operator cosmetics so I may have to splurge on them...

The original operator fashion choices were so dire I gave up entirely on making my Operator look like anything but a doofy Anime kid in a skull mask. Eventually enough cool stuff came out that I shelved the intentionally-dumb look and settled on a more serious style. Operator cosmetics are legit now, you've just got to be willing to mix and match and experiment... and have the resources to actually get enough outfits to find a combo that works.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Argh imagine being an idiotic mr29 pubbie who brought a speedva to lvl120+ steel path defence
he only had a melee equipped (did almost 0 damage) and left right after buffing second wave
pubs never change

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

ElegantFugue posted:

The original operator fashion choices were so dire I gave up entirely on making my Operator look like anything but a doofy Anime kid in a skull mask. Eventually enough cool stuff came out that I shelved the intentionally-dumb look and settled on a more serious style. Operator cosmetics are legit now, you've just got to be willing to mix and match and experiment... and have the resources to actually get enough outfits to find a combo that works.

What equipment do you use? Post it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Avynte posted:

cruising through steel path with protea and baruuk has been pretty chill so far. enemies not falling over to a slight breeze is nice to actually get some use out of all the turret punchthrough and multiplier.

Hell yeah I agree about enemy toughness in SP. I cleared Earth and Lua yesterday and then did a regular T2 void mission and it felt so insanely easy that now it feels wrong..