Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I have the first couple of trades, but gave up trying to collect them. This is one of my all time favourite runs with my favourite DC character, so I'm psyched to have the original issues!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Cool comics and all, but they were in the way of that dog.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

I'm super happy that I got the trades and that they actually completed the run in the trades as opposed to releasing the first few and randomly stopping after that

It used to be DC policy to randomly decide that they wouldn't finish or even start trades for cancelled series, which is why Legion trades have been so thin on the ground throughout history. Hitman only finished what feels like semi-recently (but at the least went a long time after, I think, Who Dares Wins or Tommy's Heroes to the next one).

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Open Marriage Night posted:

Cool comics and all, but they were in the way of that dog.

I got you

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Best new character find of 2020!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
good doggo

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DGll9Hvl3I

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dawgstar posted:

It used to be DC policy to randomly decide that they wouldn't finish or even start trades for cancelled series, which is why Legion trades have been so thin on the ground throughout history. Hitman only finished what feels like semi-recently (but at the least went a long time after, I think, Who Dares Wins or Tommy's Heroes to the next one).

Poor Starman collections :smith:

Did they even get two out before they scrapped reprinting them?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
My Ostrander Spectre two trade run is very lonely without the rest of it's run

Also that is a good dog. Of course

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
They made two different runs at collecting Sandman Mystery Theater, falling short both times, so the last year and a half has never been collected.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have gotham central from two different collection runs and there are weird overlaps.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

My Ostrander Spectre two trade run is very lonely without the rest of it's run
I've always wanted to read Ostrander's Spectre run, but DC has made it virtually impossible.

Thranguy posted:

They made two different runs at collecting Sandman Mystery Theater, falling short both times, so the last year and a half has never been collected.
I collected the entire series in singles about 20 years ago and had them bound into three custom hardcover volumes about ten years ago, since I didn't think DC would ever collect it properly.

Madkal posted:

I have gotham central from two different collection runs and there are weird overlaps.
I used to have the first two original volumes, and as soon as I learned they would be reprinting the series in four nicer, larger volumes, I sold or traded those first two (maybe at a local used bookstore) and picked up the four nicer, newer ones as they came out. It's a great series, and I'm grateful I own it in a format that matches.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Probably because I'm the only one that cares, Azrael only got one trade. A second volume got to showing up on Amazon, but got cancelled. Makes me wonder if DC shouldn't have a print on demand thing for runs that are less likely make money.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

catlord posted:

Probably because I'm the only one that cares, Azrael only got one trade. A second volume got to showing up on Amazon, but got cancelled. Makes me wonder if DC shouldn't have a print on demand thing for runs that are less likely make money.

Something like GMT games does with its P500 programme? You put down a pledge to pre-order and when 500 people do they print 500 and charge the pledgees.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Ostrander Spectre is on DC Universe unless there's some other run he did than the one that started in 92

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

While scrolling through Twitter, I came across this on Mighty God King's feed.

I thought that it was an excellent read.

(Click into the tweet for the thread.
The author does go on to say that this work, while excellent, doesn't undo the fact that John Bryne himself is an rear end in a top hat.)

https://twitter.com/andykhouri/status/1274954777168711680?s=19

Edit: quoted when I meant to edit.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 3, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Quotes the previous post when I meant to edit it.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 3, 2020

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This week in Wonder Woman Fights God (Kinda), Orlando is determined to give me things I want most and least at the same time.

-A re-opened Themysciran embassy with actual Amazon staff, in the style of the 90s Wonderdome? Orlando, I knew you wouldn't be able to resist. :glomp:

-loving gently caress Jason again UGGUGH what the gently caress in loving gently caress? gently caress THAT :argh:

that's all.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's a TPB set in the Arrowverse that's a tie-in to the Crisis event that's apparently canon and tries to answer some continuity errors for a special (and other bits) whose writing process involves writing and producing five sequentially and tightly connected episodes simultaneously. It's written by Wolfman and Guggenheim. The first story involves "fan favorite" (their words) Felicity Smoak and what she's doing (and also resolves an error only the weirdest turbo fans would have noticed involving The Ray). The second involves a plural number of Lex Luthors. I'm in the middle of it and am not impressed atm.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Arrow I am reading Kevin Smith's Arrow run (well Quiver right now) and am wondering how Smith can write good stuff like Green Arrow and bad stuff like all his Batman stuff.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Madkal posted:

Speaking of Arrow I am reading Kevin Smith's Arrow run (well Quiver right now) and am wondering how Smith can write good stuff like Green Arrow and bad stuff like all his Batman stuff.

Weed.

It is the cause of, and solution to, most of Kevin Smith's writing problems.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

Weed.

Yeah it's honestly this. For more detail, he didn't start smoking till way after his arrow run, but before his Batman run.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Question IRL posted:

Weed.

While writing that dreadful Batman: The Widening Gyre Smith said that he would smoke a bunch of pot and then write and when he woke up in the morning he'd come to find the scripts he wrote and be blown away at how he could write amazing things like 'Batman wetting himself during that scene in Year One' because he didn't remember writing it at all. So like Stephen King but using weed and also terrible.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

While writing that dreadful Batman: The Widening Gyre Smith said that he would smoke a bunch of pot and then write and when he woke up in the morning he'd come to find the scripts he wrote and be blown away at how he could write amazing things like 'Batman wetting himself during that scene in Year One' because he didn't remember writing it at all. So like Stephen King but using weed and also terrible.

King used cocaine which is the 2nd artist drug.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Hootington posted:

King used cocaine which is the 2nd artist drug.

His huge writing binges he doesn't remember were definitely mostly due to cocaine, but I'd put money down that he used both (and wouldn't be surprised if that was true of Kevin Smith either, cocaine doesn't actually make you skinny, it's what killed both Belushi and Farley)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

His huge writing binges he doesn't remember were definitely mostly due to cocaine, but I'd put money down that he used both (and wouldn't be surprised if that was true of Kevin Smith either, cocaine doesn't actually make you skinny, it's what killed both Belushi and Farley)

King was big into weed, cocaine, and alcohol at the same time. I think it's in On Writing where he talks about how his family held an intervention for him that was just dumping all his assorted drug detritus out of a bucket onto the floor in front of him, including a lot of saved roaches.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Should've kept the roaches at least, you can make super blunts with those

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Smith was pretty much a teatotaler until the weed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Smith was pretty much a teatotaler until the weed.

1) I didn't drink or do drugs when I was 14 either, I wouldn't call that being a teetotaler.
2) He doesn't remember writing huge chunks of stuff he wrote, you think he has an accurate picture of all the drugs he's taken at every party he's been to?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Ah so he adapted the idea from Earnest Hemingway.
Write Blazed, edit in awe of what you read.

As for Smith, I can well believe that he used Weed and nothing else.
He's been very open about using that, and strikes me as the type to say if he used coke.

Plus he's been open about the fact that his best friend (Jason Mewes) became a chronic Heroin addict and he always felt guilty over that.
And as strange as it sounds, people do internalise a message of "this addictive ruinous substance is horrible. I'll never use it. I'll just stick to this slightly lesser ruinous substance. "

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Question IRL posted:

Ah so he adapted the idea from Earnest Hemingway.
Write Blazed, edit in awe of what you read.

Honestly I always thought that was sort of a joke, but nope, that's literally what Smith did. And it shows because if you've ever read Gyre... yikes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
His last 2 poo poo movies were done pretty much the same way. He got stoned, did a podcast and laughed way too much about the idea of a man turning another man into a walrus and a year later a movie was made.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yogahosers was a crime against humanity. But at least Ralph Garman got a paycheck.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
How much longer is Bendis on Superman for? I was ready for this adult Jon Kent nonsense to be done before it even started, and every time it comes up again in these books it just feels even more badly-written. Like Bendis seems, even through his writing, to be perfectly aware how nonsensical of a story this is, but he also just keeps on barreling forward with it like no one has noticed.

His Young Justice at least has the benefit of...well, salvaging Young Justice :sweatdrop:, which is nice, but it's honestly not that much better written.

Like I'm vaguely aware that there's supposed to be some 5G stuff going on with Jon but what even is happening with that anymore? DC wanting to restructure their timeline seemed halfassed in the first place, and now it doesn't even feel like there are any hands on that wheel anymore, especially with the state of the world being as it is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As long as he wants, I'm guessing.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

While scrolling through Twitter, I came across this on Mighty God King's feed.

I thought that it was an excellent read.

The author does go on to say that this work, while excellent, doesn't undo the fact that John Bryne himself is an rear end in a top hat.)

https://twitter.com/andykhouri/status/1274954777168711680?s=19

Edit: quoted when I meant to edit.

This is an awesome thread. Thank you for posting it. I was really looking forward to the John Byrne Superman omnibuses (omnibii?) but it looks like it was cancelled in favour of some deluxe editions. I also had no idea JB had said some of the things he had. Comics sure attracts some strange characters.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Question IRL posted:

Wow, that list of quotes. I love how in between some of the truly awful poo poo he said, there's a bit where he's bitching about Alien 3 for the stupidest of reasons and being a total dick about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
His comments about Reeve originated when someone said that no one would ever be more associated with Superman and Byrne's famous insane jealousy flared up.

gently caress John Byrne.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does the Morrison Omnibus vol 2 complete his run, or will there be a third one? Also, picking up my read again on Knightfall Omnibus Vol1, and this is such a great story I wish I’d read sooner. Bane is an absolutely brutal antagonist and is just wearing Batman down constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think there needs to be a third omnibus to cover Inc.