Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I do like my PoE unifi switch already in my rack... but I don’t quite need PoE or link aggregation for this, just a trunk port and the ability to tag vlans. Maybe I should see what non poe switches unifi has though, that’s probably the best answer to keep things consistent. For instance, I hate that I have an HP procurve in the setup because of poo poo like the different definitions of basic poo poo like trunking that just make doing anything super obtuse and annoying.

Ya - to be clear I have no need for PoE. Nothing I have used it. It was just cheaper than the 10 port without PoE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Unifi-Video Products End of Life Announcement

JFC, Ubiquiti, what the rear end are you guys doing? :cripes:

Ubiquiti is starting to make sure that I start looking elsewhere the next time I need to build a network.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 9, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

OSU_Matthew posted:

I do like my PoE unifi switch already in my rack... but I don’t quite need PoE or link aggregation for this, just a trunk port and the ability to tag vlans. Maybe I should see what non poe switches unifi has though, that’s probably the best answer to keep things consistent. For instance, I hate that I have an HP procurve in the setup because of poo poo like the different definitions of basic poo poo like trunking that just make doing anything super obtuse and annoying.

If you already have UniFi then the USW Flex Mini would be perfect.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Hey not sure if this fits exactly right in this thread but it seemed like the best place to ask.

I got an asus rt-ac86u running asuswrt-merlin, I need to connect half my devices through a vpn, the router connects to the vpn, and that's no problem that's done and it handles it fine. I have one program that absolutely needs to not go through a vpn to work properly, though. The first thing I tried was to exclude every remote ip this program connects to from getting tunneled through the vpn, and this half works, but some things are broken and it's way too much of a hassle.

So then I was thinking, I stick a raspberry pi running a socks proxy there, exclude the pi from the vpn, and run the single program through the proxy. Kind of a pain in the rear end though, takes up an extra power outlet I don't really wanna deal with. Anyone know if I can/how to just run a proxy server on the router itself? I know it's doable in tomato, so I figured it might be doable in merlin, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Ubiquiti is starting to make sure that I start looking elsewhere the next time I need to build a network.

Maybe more home automation than this thread, but at the last small business I worked for we wanted a quote for 15 PoE cameras and associated wiring. The installer quoted us 20k and recommended UniFi cameras.

Me, balking at the quote, convinced my boss that we could DIY for cheaper. I’m now glad that we did!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Remember kids, if you can't bootstrap the thing from ground zero while disconnected from the internet, you don't own it, AND they're making money off of you.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 9, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Are UniFi and Edge still locked to different panes of glass?

:(

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Remember kids, if you can't bootstrap the thing from ground zero while disconnected from the internet, you don't own it, AND they're making money off of you.

Also this.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Thanks Ants posted:

If you already have UniFi then the USW Flex Mini would be perfect.

Oh, this is absolutely perfect... much appreciated! Just bought one from the Unifi store.

rufius posted:

Ya - to be clear I have no need for PoE. Nothing I have used it. It was just cheaper than the 10 port without PoE.

Go figure... at least you have the option though!

All my PoE slots on my switches are maxed out with APs, cloud controller, doorbells, etc. Probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to expand that at some point here, especially if I want to expand my IP cameras beyond the dedicated NVR slots. Sadly my free Meraki PoE switch’s license expired, so I had to consolidate everything few months ago before that imploded. I wonder if it’ll even function anymore, or whether it’s just e-waste.

Cisco licensing just pisses me off.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

SwissArmyDruid posted:

haha holy poo poo I was just shopping used Uni-fi video products on ebay...
Thanks for the heads up.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think they've wanted to cancel that for a while.

Can you still use RTSP to Blue Iris if you don't want to run a cloud key, etc?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh, this is absolutely perfect... much appreciated! Just bought one from the Unifi store.

Piece of advice on these- update the firmware to the latest ASAP, and be sure to follow update instructions in the firmware thread closely. Earlier firmware was a bit flaky, and automatically upgrading through the GUI doesn’t necessarily work like other UniFi equipment.

I have one and for the longest time it wouldn’t reliably adopt after a reboot/power failure without a lot of tinkering and hope. The latest firmware seems to sort some of this out (though I haven’t had to reboot the switch in a while).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Charles posted:

Can you still use RTSP to Blue Iris if you don't want to run a cloud key, etc?

Sure but AFAIK configuration and management still require a video or protect instance so you would be running blind until you got one up.

Video and protect are the same core code so you only get a slightly different gui/mobile app out of a cloudkey/udm/unvr migration, the core issues are still there and, given their current code quality issues, unlikely to be solved anytime soon.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oof. That's real bad.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Internet Explorer posted:

Oof. That's real bad.

Only the controller and very early camera units are EoL, most g2 and newer units will still work(if you trust their hardware controllers).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There are a lot of people complaining in the comments that the sunsetting of video.ui.com is going to cause them a lot of problems.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I like the 6 month warning. Most (all?) enterprise network hardware companies often publish end of sale and end of support when new gear is released, and stagger it substantially to give people a year+ of end of sale time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think they've been saying they'd end any updates to Video for a long time though, haven't they?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Charles posted:

I think they've been saying they'd end any updates to Video for a long time though, haven't they?

That's not how that post reads. And stopping code patches and cutting it off at the knees is totally different especially if they've been selling it inside recently enough that it's inside the useful life of the gear.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Explorer posted:

Oof. That's real bad.

but hey, ui have augmented reality mobile apps now!

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

I've been trying to track the latest information in the thread, but there seems to be some growing discontent about Ubiquiti's business model so I would greatly appreciate some direct advice.

The situation:
    * We are moving to a new rental unit that is 2 stories.
    * It is not fiber-ready, so I am stuck with cable.
    * When I am in the unit my phone can pick up well over a dozen wifi networks, so there's a decent amount of saturation.
    * There are no coax end points in either of the (upstairs) rooms that will be full time WFH offices for my wife and I. Running new cables of any sort, coax or CATx, is not an option.
    * We will eventually add a NAS, but for now we will only have 2 (ideally wired) computers, 2 phones using wifi, and an occasional laptop or two.

I don't intend on paying the loving absurd monthly cost for gigabit-over-cable that Spectrum wants, so I'm assuming I'll end up on a plan with a cap of something like 400Mbs down / 10-30 up. I'm starting from scratch on hardware. Here's where I could use some help/answers/feedback:
    * Am I correct in thinking I'll be fine with something like a SB6183 surfboard for our modem? I'm reluctant to try and 'future proof' with DOCSIS 3.1 for gigabit given that we're only renting and who the hell knows where we'll be in a year (lol the graveyard from coronavirus).
    * I'm thinking of using some G.hn Wave 2 powerline adapters to get hardwired speeds to our offices. The unit was built in the 80s, so I assume the wiring should be ok. Is there a better option for me to consider on this front?
    * I have no earthly clue what router to buy. I'd ideally like to get hardware that I can scale as necessary in the future if we ever settle on a long-term living arrangement. But I am deeply skeptical of any hardware that forces me to "connect to the cloud" to administer it, and SwissArmyDruid's posts have me thinking that maybe Ubiquiti isn't a solid choice anymore. If not, what is? And either way, what's a decent choice at this point for basic router + maybe 1 AP hardware-wise? We're talking ~ 2000 square feet of space, and as I mentioned before, there seems to be a lot of other networks competing for channel space.
Thanks in advance; this thread has been a real interesting read and resource.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The 6183 might not give you the full 400 Mbps(+overprovisioning) down. However, Spectrum will lease you a solid DOCSIS 3.1 modem for free as long as it's not one of those combo abominations with WiFi.

Routerwise you'd be fine with a cheap ER-X (make sure hardware acceleration is enabled) and some kind of access point. A decent upgrade pick would be an ER-4.

astral fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 9, 2020

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Ya - it's the Unifi line at Ubiquiti I'd probably avoid.

The Edge line seems largely to be sane from Ubiquiti still. I happily bought an ER-4 and ES-10xp recently.

Re: PowerLine, that is an extremely YMMV situation. If the wires cross the breaker panel, you will get a big slow down. My house is completely rewired and I can't break past 100mbps with PowerLine due to where I need the adapters to sit.

Consider something like Orbi or another dedicated wireless backhaul for distributing your network. Those things are chock full of wireless adapters so you should be able to just drown everyone else out :).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
oof cable loving sucks.
I was forced to have comcast for a couple of years and despite paying for their "gigabit" service and having an SB8200 modem I could never get more than 10mbps up, despite being "guaranteed" 100. I tested my neighbors at 40 and they didn't even pay for gigabit, but comcast never figured their poo poo out for me.
At that point I just tethered my phone via USB to my computer and backed up over 4g and it was so much faster.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Lifespan posted:

Yes, these are all wired tests conducted via the Orbi router's onboard test (which uses speedtest.net).

Ended up having to call Comcast. Turns out there was some cruft with my old modem still being assigned. Now I am getting 950/42 and saving $30/mo. Really wish I would have known about this before.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Charles posted:

That was just user-side speculation, there was no official hints of sunsetting unifi-video until now(after all the core code is shared between the two, it's just the gui/apps part that is custom for protect). The first hint of this was when the UAS (the supermicro rebrand designed to run unifi video for bigger customers) was denied protect on rather weird basis(everybody guessed that it was to deny a x86 deb to users not running on unifi hardware).

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 10, 2020

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

astral posted:

The 6183 might not give you the full 400 Mbps(+overprovisioning) down. However, Spectrum will lease you a solid DOCSIS 3.1 modem for free as long as it's not one of those combo abominations with WiFi.

Routerwise you'd be fine with a cheap ER-X (make sure hardware acceleration is enabled) and some kind of access point. A decent upgrade pick would be an ER-4.

Thanks for catching that - I had intended on the 6190, which is rated for 600Mbps, and not the 6183. I suppose I should look into what modems Spectrum leases in my area, though again I'm enough of an old-man-yelling-at-cloud that I like to try to own whatever hardware I need outright.

Also thanks for the router tips.

rufius posted:

Ya - it's the Unifi line at Ubiquiti I'd probably avoid.

The Edge line seems largely to be sane from Ubiquiti still. I happily bought an ER-4 and ES-10xp recently.

Re: PowerLine, that is an extremely YMMV situation. If the wires cross the breaker panel, you will get a big slow down. My house is completely rewired and I can't break past 100mbps with PowerLine due to where I need the adapters to sit.

Consider something like Orbi or another dedicated wireless backhaul for distributing your network. Those things are chock full of wireless adapters so you should be able to just drown everyone else out :).

Yeah, the powerline thing is a bit of a gamble, but I'm planning on buying them from somewhere with a decent return policy so that I can try it out and ditch them if the throughput isn't worth it. I only had a chance to glance at the new unit's circuit breaker and was too dumb to snap a photo, but from memory I think all of the rooms where hardware needs to be are on the same circuit. Time will tell, though.

I hadn't bothered to look into the Orbi before, so thanks for that tip. Just so I'm clear: the unifi line includes all of ubiquiti's wireless ap lineup, right? I assume there's some amount of benefit from having the same hardware/OS for the router and WAP, even if it's just the UI/CL learning curve.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oof cable loving sucks.
I was forced to have comcast for a couple of years and despite paying for their "gigabit" service and having an SB8200 modem I could never get more than 10mbps up, despite being "guaranteed" 100. I tested my neighbors at 40 and they didn't even pay for gigabit, but comcast never figured their poo poo out for me.
At that point I just tethered my phone via USB to my computer and backed up over 4g and it was so much faster.

I know. :eng99: Maybe someday I'll be able to get fiber service, but for now I'm SOL.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

captainbananas posted:

:words:

I hadn't bothered to look into the Orbi before, so thanks for that tip. Just so I'm clear: the unifi line includes all of ubiquiti's wireless ap lineup, right? I assume there's some amount of benefit from having the same hardware/OS for the router and WAP, even if it's just the UI/CL learning curve.

Ya - I don’t know of much in the way or complaints about the Unifi Wireless AP’s. Most of the grousing you’ll find here and elsewhere is in the more vertically integrated stuff (e.g. Dream Machine or other all in ones)

At least current Unifi AP’s are pretty much “plug it in” and go.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

rufius posted:

At least current Unifi AP’s are pretty much “plug it in” and go.

I bought a NanoHD a couple of months ago and can say that's definitely not the case.
The documentation is abysmal, you're forced to install Java 8 to use the controller and I had to install its Discovery Tool in Chrome as well. Then you have to ssh into the AP and run a set-inform command for it to be adopted. It was the first Ubiquiti product I bought so I had to spend a couple of hours scouring their forums to find the right info to get this working.

I've just replaced my PC and now have to factory reset the AP because I can't adopt it into the new controller since I didn't release it before moving on to a new Windows install :thumbsdown:

The 2.4 ghz performance is pretty poor as well. I wouldn't recommend a nanoHD if you require high 2g throughput.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I found that using the unifi controller docker image w/ a raspberry pi is invaluable. If you're not comfortable with that, then probably just buy the little Unifi controller thing. If you don't want to do either of those I generally don't recommend unifi to people anymore.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rollie Fingers posted:

I bought a NanoHD a couple of months ago and can say that's definitely not the case.
The documentation is abysmal, you're forced to install Java 8 to use the controller and I had to install its Discovery Tool in Chrome as well. Then you have to ssh into the AP and run a set-inform command for it to be adopted. It was the first Ubiquiti product I bought so I had to spend a couple of hours scouring their forums to find the right info to get this working.

I've just replaced my PC and now have to factory reset the AP because I can't adopt it into the new controller since I didn't release it before moving on to a new Windows install :thumbsdown:

The 2.4 ghz performance is pretty poor as well. I wouldn't recommend a nanoHD if you require high 2g throughput.

The java thing is understandable, but set-inform, discovery tool, and lack of backing up your controller config are on you. :v: Something in your network is filtering their announcements, do you prevent mdns propagation? (I agree they should make controller migration more obvious, you have to backup the configuration and import it into the new one. Works like a charm if you do it, I've moved between 3 different computers as their controller before settling on the docker container.)

The "easy" but not recommended solution is to use their cloud backup.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Rescue Toaster posted:

I found that using the unifi controller docker image w/ a raspberry pi is invaluable. If you're not comfortable with that, then probably just buy the little Unifi controller thing. If you don't want to do either of those I generally don't recommend unifi to people anymore.

I've got the unifi controller set up in apt-get. Whenever the web interface says there's an update I just log in and update everything on the pi. Might switch to docker when I build my new plex/Nas box

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I am running the controller in a Jail in FreeNAS and after the most recent update I can still access everything but the settings page. Really fun!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

captainbananas posted:

Thanks for catching that - I had intended on the 6190, which is rated for 600Mbps, and not the 6183. I suppose I should look into what modems Spectrum leases in my area, though again I'm enough of an old-man-yelling-at-cloud that I like to try to own whatever hardware I need outright.

Also thanks for the router tips.

:siren: Friends do not let friends buy the 6190. It has the bad version of the Puma chipset which never fully got its issues ironed out.:siren:

Spectrum offers good DOCSIS 3.1 modems (well, technically eMTAs) and they're free to lease. They come in model numbers that look like E31_2V1, where the blank indicates the actual brand (hitroN, Ubee, Technicolor). They're all pretty solid.

When you feel that urge to spend money to own something instead of being provided it for free, keep in mind:

quote:

I'm reluctant to try and 'future proof' with DOCSIS 3.1 for gigabit given that we're only renting and who the hell knows where we'll be in a year (lol the graveyard from coronavirus).

So just let Spectrum take care of it for you with a good modem.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Rollie Fingers posted:

Ah it’s been a while since I did it. That sounds lovely. I was using the controller though which from my recollection was a decent experience.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Wacky Delly posted:

I've got the unifi controller set up in apt-get. Whenever the web interface says there's an update I just log in and update everything on the pi. Might switch to docker when I build my new plex/Nas box

Who has a repo that has that?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Rescue Toaster posted:

Who has a repo that has that?

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/220066768-UniFi-How-to-Install-and-Update-via-APT-on-Debian-or-Ubuntu

Edit: Oh you mean on ARM. Ignore me.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
You can still do initial setups of UniFi APs using their mobile app.

My own recommendation is to run the unifi controller somewhere on your layer 2 network, and keep it running anyways (with regular config backups), since you gain all of the control and visibility that multiple access points afford you. If it's just a single AP in a small apartment, then whatever - paperclip the fucker every six months if you need to... why care?

That said, I'm also another vote of no confidence in Ubiquiti's direction in any of their newer product lines. Don't bother w/ Ubiquiti if it's not one of these lines:

1) Edgemax routers
2) Edgemax switches
3) UniFi access points
4) UniFi switches

This, coming from a goon whose whole house is wired for unifi with a USG firewall on gigabit internet, and 4 switches + 5 APs.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 10, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you just need a single AP then get an Aruba IAP off eBay

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

No, this is what I used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

CrazyLittle posted:

You can still do initial setups of UniFi APs using their mobile app.

My own recommendation is to run the unifi controller somewhere on your layer 2 network, and keep it running anyways (with regular config backups), since you gain all of the control and visibility that multiple access points afford you. If it's just a single AP in a small apartment, then whatever - paperclip the fucker every six months if you need to... why care?

That said, I'm also another vote of no confidence in Ubiquiti's direction in any of their newer product lines. Don't bother w/ Ubiquiti if it's not one of these lines:

1) Edgemax routers
2) Edgemax switches
3) UniFi access points
4) UniFi switches

This, coming from a goon whose whole house is wired for unifi with a USG firewall on gigabit internet, and 4 switches + 5 APs.

What AP's do you have? I'm still rockin my old UAP-AC-Pro and it's been fine but I mostly get just 2.4ghz throughout the house.
I was thinking of adding a couple more AP's so I at least have one per floor and maybe an outdoor AP for the backyard since there seems to be no placement inside that can reach the deadzone that is my back poarch.
I'm looking for some honest input, but I'm also all in on Ubiquiti with 3 poe switches a USG and a CloudKey.