Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Yeroc2 posted:

And the newsletter has a short story called Sylphrena's Interlude. I believe you can only get it via the newsletter. I'm intrigued by the implication that Kaladin is back to being a surgeon

awww syl asking the stormfather to let her feel depression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Holy poo poo that Kickstarter is going fast, all the books are already sold so they had to make new version of the tiers that included the book with a 2021 arrival date.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I knew it would be popular, but wow, yea I can't believe how quick it went.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Are they going to release chapters leading up to the release of the book like they did with Oathbringer?

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

insider posted:

Are they going to release chapters leading up to the release of the book like they did with Oathbringer?

The newsletter said they'd start doing it on Tor's blog soon

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just want the Prologue. Haven't decided if I want to read the First Chapter that was put out :thunk:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I completely adopted ebooks for pleasure reading what seems like forever ago, so I have no real conception of what makes people want these. Moving with my fancy learnin' books is bad enough.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I completely adopted ebooks for pleasure reading what seems like forever ago

Pretty much the same.

But.

drat does it look good. I couldn't resist.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I mostly read ebooks, but I'm a sucker for sexy books :shrug:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Yea I mostly read ebooks, but I'm a sucker for sexy books :shrug:

Yeah for the next couple decades i'll probably be amassing this collection of leather bound books.

God help me if Malazan gets the same treatment.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Sab669 posted:

I just want the Prologue. Haven't decided if I want to read the First Chapter that was put out :thunk:

Prologue is actually already out in a way of sorts - there's a transcribed version on Arcanum:
https://wob.coppermind.net/events/395/#e13027

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

they're gonna release like a full quarter of the book chapter by chapter

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Tunicate posted:

they're gonna release like a full quarter of the book chapter by chapter

They did that for the last one as well, maybe not a full quarter of it but it was quite a few chapters.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oathbringer had 5 "books" and 4 interludes, and they pre-released the entirety of "book 1".

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Torrannor posted:

Oathbringer had 5 "books" and 4 interludes, and they pre-released the entirety of "book 1".

Brandon's newsletter says "We’ll only get through about a third of the book in preview chapters (if that much) before the release in November". That's quite a chunk.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Jorenko posted:

Brandon's newsletter says "We’ll only get through about a third of the book in preview chapters (if that much) before the release in November". That's quite a chunk.

I honestly love this as it allows fans to discuss each chapter in detail and come up with cool theories on the fly. Can't wait!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I know Sanderson gets alot of poo poo on the forums in other threads so I'm asking here. I've read all his stuff and I want something similar. I sorta liked Wheel of Time and was not fond of Licanius but I finished it, I thought Dresden was ok as well but I didn't like how the women were handled there. I like Sanderson's rule based magic and his at least a little breaking away from Orcs/Elves/dark ages Europe style fantasy.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

I know Sanderson gets alot of poo poo on the forums in other threads so I'm asking here. I've read all his stuff and I want something similar. I sorta liked Wheel of Time and was not fond of Licanius but I finished it, I thought Dresden was ok as well but I didn't like how the women were handled there. I like Sanderson's rule based magic and his at least a little breaking away from Orcs/Elves/dark ages Europe style fantasy.

Check out Codex Alera, Libriomancer, Iron druid.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

Hunter x Hunter if you're willing to read manga. The anime is also good, and gets through the most recent complete arc and has a good stopping point.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

socialsecurity posted:

Will Wight's Cradle series was recommended to me in this thread after we were done with Oathbringer. Since then, I've been a fan and read his other series too (Traveler's Gate, Elder Empire).

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
The Alex Verus series is another one where a guy who can only do one "weak" trick of seeing into the future a few minutes (in a world where people can make heads explode or do mind control or...) and exploits it all to hell and back

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Brandon has also recommended Brent Week’s Lightbringer series and Brian McClellan’s Powder Mage trilogy for people who like his writing. I personally couldn’t get into the first Powder Mage book, but Lightbringer was fine. I do need to get around to reading the last book though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MildShow posted:

Brandon has also recommended Brent Week’s Lightbringer series and Brian McClellan’s Powder Mage trilogy for people who like his writing. I personally couldn’t get into the first Powder Mage book, but Lightbringer was fine. I do need to get around to reading the last book though.

I liked the last Lightbringer book well enough. And it's definitely nice to know that the series is finished.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I thought the last book of Lightbringer undermined basically everything that made the first four so enjoyable. I was so excited for the culmination of the series and ended up profoundly disappointed. It’s still worth reading, if only because the world building is outstanding, and there are more than a few twists and climactic scenes that I loved along the way.

Brian McClellan is probably the closest to Sanderson in terms of writing style/prose. I really liked the initial trilogy and its accompanying short stories; the second sequel drags quite a bit and lacks a real antagonist until the final book.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

socialsecurity posted:

I didn't like how the women were handled there

MildShow posted:

Brian McClellan’s Powder Mage trilogy

Aggro posted:

Brian McClellan

Gonna go out on a limb here and guess that socialsecurity might not like how women are written by Brian McClellan. Powdermage series was so bad it actually put me off reading any more of his stuff, and I probably won't ever pick it up again unless someone tells me that he's learned how to do better.

There's like all of two important named female characters, and one's a Strong Female who's painted as a cheating harlot who cheated for no good reason and the other is literally a mute "savage" (and referred to as this unironically by every other character).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Charlie N. Holmberg is also a Sanderson protoge IIRC, and wrote the Paper Magician series which I enjoyed. It kind of felt like a Sanderson novel with the setting of a romance one. The protagonist and author are both women in this case.

I'll second the recommendation for Cradle. And one of the author's other series, Traveler's Gate, felt particularly Sanderson-ish.

Leng posted:

Gonna go out on a limb here and guess that socialsecurity might not like how women are written by Brian McClellan. Powdermage series was so bad it actually put me off reading any more of his stuff, and I probably won't ever pick it up again unless someone tells me that he's learned how to do better.

There's like all of two important named female characters, and one's a Strong Female who's painted as a cheating harlot who cheated for no good reason and the other is literally a mute "savage" (and referred to as this unironically by every other character).
Yeah the representation for women in at least the first trilogy wasn't great. But I don't think it was constantly male gaze-y like the Dresden Files.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 9, 2020

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Leng posted:

Pole's essentially a mute Irish girl in not-France so everyone calls her a savage like how other nations refer to each other as barbarians. She's also literally so powerful that gods are afraid of her and even Taniel is to some extent because blood magic doesn't gently caress around in this setting. Vlora is treated pretty terribly in the first trilogy and the only real upside to her cheating on Taniel is they both eventually accept that maybe they weren't in love with each other like they thought (and they were mainly together in the first place because of Tamas).

The second series (10 or so years after the first trilogy) is better if someone wants a nice treatment of characters these aren't the books to read. Still a better series than anything Abercrombie has written at least.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Thanks guys got like 6 more books queued up.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pole's essentially a mute Irish girl in not-France so everyone calls her a savage like how other nations refer to each other as barbarians. She's also literally so powerful that gods are afraid of her and even Taniel is to some extent because blood magic doesn't gently caress around in this setting. Vlora is treated pretty terribly in the first trilogy and the only real upside to her cheating on Taniel is they both eventually accept that maybe they weren't in love with each other like they thought (and they were mainly together in the first place because of Tamas).

The second series (10 or so years after the first trilogy) is better if someone wants a nice treatment of characters these aren't the books to read. Still a better series than anything Abercrombie has written at least.

abercrombie kicks rear end

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Cicero posted:

I'll second the recommendation for Cradle. And one of the author's other series, Traveler's Gate, felt particularly Sanderson-ish.

I think it was actually you who recommend Cradle to me!! Can't thank you enough for that. :)

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hear that Vlora finally became somewhat of a real character in one of the sequel series. Please tell me it is so?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Leng posted:

I think it was actually you who recommend Cradle to me!! Can't thank you enough for that. :)

I hear that Vlora finally became somewhat of a real character in one of the sequel series. Please tell me it is so?

The second series gives her a more prominent role instead of the weird "maybe she should be a main character but maybe not" limbo she sat in for the original powder mage trilogy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I wonder what's going to happen in Rhythm of War. I feel like we have less to go on than we had for Oathbringer.

For Oathbringer, we knew it was the Dalinar book, so we would get to see how he became the Blackthorn. We'd also learn more about Bondsmiths, and see him manage the Knights Radiants. Also they obviously had Urithiru to explore, and check up on Alekhtar/Kholinar, with which they recently lost communication. And we'd see the effects of the Everstorm.

For Rhythm of War, it's not so obviously to me. It's not the Szeth novel. So no flashbacks how he trained with the Honorblades, and how he became Truthless. And probably no crusade to cleanse the Shin of the false teachings of the Stone Shamans. Instead we get Eshonai flashbacks? And it will focus on Venli? So more info about Willshapers, but will Venli operating against Odium in secret really be enough to serve as the main plot of the book? And even in the Dalinar centric chapters of Oathbringer, there were enough interactions with Kaladin, Shallan, Adolin, Renarin, Nanavi, etc. that those characters could have their own storylines develop, while Venli will probably be pretty alone for quite some time.

There will apparently be some kind of minor time skip (6 months or so?), so we don't even get to see the immediate aftermath of the Battle of Thaylen City. Dalinar and co. will still be trying to hold their coalition together against the Voidbringers, but that could go in many directions. Shallan will try to find/capture Sja-Anat? Kaladin will try to rescue his family... again? Conflict with Moash? I'm honestly kind of stumped what the main plot of Rhythm of War will be. Except if Venli finds those Listeners that Eshonai sent away at the last moment, joined by Rlain perhaps? The title is so Parshendi centric that they have to be pretty important.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 7, 2020

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
I want more Rlain... I feel he’s been under-utilised so far and was hoping for a lot more from him in book 3.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/1282194268883316736

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Yes!!!!! And now I bet the work commences on Wandersail.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Brotherwise games is making a call to adventure board game based on The Stormlight Archives. There are three tiers, the top being sold out. The base game is $40 and the deluxe is $45 (comes with a 48 page art book).

https://www.brotherwisegames.com/stormlight-archive-deluxe-edition
https://www.brotherwisegames.com/shop/the-stormlight-archive
https://www.brotherwisegames.com/stormlight

The links inside those pages to barnes and noble do not work for me. The deluxe can be ordered here:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/toys-games-call-to-adventure-stormlight-archive-dlx-bn/35115522

And from Sanderson's website:

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/call-to-adventure-the-stormlight-archive/

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I preordered and got the Deluxe edition yesterday. It’s cool — can’t wait to play. The art book that came with it has some really good concept art inside and it came with 2 foil cards, 1 Windrunner and 1 Odium.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Daric posted:

I preordered and got the Deluxe edition yesterday. It’s cool — can’t wait to play. The art book that came with it has some really good concept art inside and it came with 2 foil cards, 1 Windrunner and 1 Odium.

what do the foil cards do?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Tunicate posted:

what do the foil cards do?

Looking at the unboxing video in one of those links, they're just variants of normal cards, same abilities but different art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Has anyone played the original game that this is adapting? Reviews on BoardGameGeek are not too favorable.