Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

god drat there was a lot of apple chat in here for a Linux thread

apple is technically a linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is it also still officially an Unix?

I remember they paid someone-or-other to become that or some poo poo?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Schadenboner posted:

Its a bsd with heavily a heavily modified DE, KDE iirc(i probably don't)

pram
Jun 10, 2001

RFC2324 posted:

KDE iirc(i probably don't)

you cant be this dumb

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

he's right you know

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

r u ready to WALK posted:

he's right you know

legendary linux design sense and attention to detail

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
If there's one thing the GNOME 2 HIG had right, it was that the default action should be an action verb on the bottom right.

Those buttons on the about dialog, amazing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sassafras posted:

If there's one thing the GNOME 2 HIG had right, it was that the default action should be an action verb on the bottom right.

Those buttons on the about dialog, amazing.

if you don't like how kde displays dialog actions, simply change the code and recompile it for yourself

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the fact that it's been easier to pair a dualshock over bluetooth than use an official microsoft gaming controller for almost 15 years is hilarious

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the current xbone controllers just work on bluetooth, but needing a dongle previously was egregious

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

akadajet posted:

apple is technically a linux

it’s not

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

he's right you know

I don't mind KDEs feature overload, but god drat does it always have such ugly typography. I can't put my finger on precisely what is going wrong, but there has always been something off.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Athas posted:

I don't mind KDEs feature overload, but god drat does it always have such ugly typography. I can't put my finger on precisely what is going wrong, but there has always been something off.

i mean, each individual glyph and string seems perfectly well rendered, but in that screenshot at least all element spacing is insanely weird

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i mean, each individual glyph and string seems perfectly well rendered, but in that screenshot at least all element spacing is insanely weird

The difference is striking when compared to the subtle elegance of every GNOME theme.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Schadenboner posted:

yes, OS X/macOS has been officially certified by The Open Group as a POSIX-compliant Unix implementation (since 10.5): https://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/apple.htm

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

you don't know what your talking about

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

akadajet posted:

you don't know what your talking about

its actually a bsd
:goonsay:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

its actually a bsd
:goonsay:

yeah, just like I said. it's a linux

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
xnu/linux, please

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Athas posted:

not a single thing is centered or aligned properly in this about dialog

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

he's right you know

Fol... Inform.... Operat....

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so far Microsoft seems to be treating "Series X" more-or-less like a typical hardware launch, perhaps with the exception of more liberal backwards-forwards-compatability. I suspected they would have that if they went pseudo third-party while keeping their hardware around as more of a specialty class item. the price, which they are with-holding, could hint at whether that's the approach.

xCloud is way further along than I imagined it'd be. there were various betas this year on Android and iOS.

my suspicion about MS radically changing their gaming business is probably weakened but still plausible IMO.

Schadenboner posted:

From Apple press release:

> “macOS Big Sur is a major update that advances the legendary combination of the power of UNIX with the ease of use of the Mac, and delivers our biggest update to design in more than a decade,” said Craig Federighi, Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering. https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/06/apple-introduces-macos-big-sur-with-a-beautiful-new-design/

so it seems the next release is still POSIX, which is good obviously

the imminent huh
Apr 6, 2016

Schadenboner posted:

10.15 is listed on opengroup.org as certified:
https://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/index.html

i think every version since 10.5 (except maybe 10.7?) has been UNIX 03 certified

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

if Mac were to drop POSIX compatibility it would probably no be the de facto platform for web and mobile and I imagine that accounts for a third of it's sales

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Zlodo posted:

it's got the same "laid out by mashing the space bar" energy as garage sale flyers posted on the mailbox

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

go play outside Skyler posted:

Fol... Inform.... Operat....

plz don't make fun of responsive design

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

now to be fair, it's not as if apple themselves is doing any better these days

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

carry on then posted:

now to be fair, it's not as if apple themselves is doing any better these days

I'm the Android Home Screen-esque "Schedule..." text string cutoff.

ok, this is a beta but if they don't fix that before GM then hope is lost

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

crazysim posted:

It'll be fixed for US English and no other language.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I think you usually say that the hard disks were sent to a farm out in the country where they can have lots of room to stretch their spindles?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

crazysim posted:

I'm the Android Home Screen-esque "Schedule..." text string cutoff.

that's the thing, the text is obviously not cut off

someone just thought that ellipsis which make sense on menu items somehow also apply there even though it makes no sense

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Zlodo posted:

it’s kde, the jank is a feature

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
What in the goddamn gently caress is "Power Nap" and is there a way I can somehow inflict pain (physical, emotional, spiritual, several, or all) on whomever came up with the name?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Schadenboner posted:

What in the goddamn gently caress is "Power Nap" and is there a way I can somehow inflict pain (physical, emotional, spiritual, several, or all) on whomever came up with the name?

Connected standby, like what phones do.

Intel standby used to be accomplished by powering off the CPU but keeping the memory controller running. When you resume, the CPU started up and ran the firmware which would perform the early stages of cold boot, but then observe that the memory controller was already running and return control to the in-memory OS via ACPI. The whole process takes a few seconds though.

Nowadays Intel CPUs don't have any sort of power-off capability. Instead you power down the computer's peripherals and stop scheduling tasks, which lets you resume from sleep slightly faster (since you don't need to get firmware involved, you just signal the device drivers to reinitialize all the powered-down peripherals).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i like the way it's no longer possible to prevent certain models of computer from sleeping their network adapters, period, in windows 10. there are no power management settings that will prevent it, and no driver settings either. so if you expected the device to be always on for remote access, well, go gently caress yourself.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The weird mish-mash of (I don't know the term for it: W7-style and W10-style) control panels, the complete lack of indication what button will give you which style of control panel, and the universal uselessness of any W10 control panel is (especially bad with network settings).

It's legitimately baffling to me why this is done. Are you supposed to be using powershell instead?

:mad:!

E: Also, when I click on the loving volume I want the mixer 100% of the time, I am extremely unlikely to want to try out a new room profile.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Schadenboner posted:

Are you supposed to be using powershell instead?

yes

i'm not even kidding, yes you are. if you need anything that isn't presented in the modern setting app you are supposed to use powershell, according to microsoft.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
my new Thinkpad has a PCIe Ethernet NIC built into it which needs some 5000% markup proprietary cable to use. Naturally this is a different proprietary cable to the one that came with my previous Thinkpad, despite having a similar connector profile. This NIC also prevents Linux from suspending properly so I had to blacklist the kernel module.

Anyway that's my power management story.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

yes

i'm not even kidding, yes you are. if you need anything that isn't presented in the modern setting app you are supposed to use powershell, according to microsoft.

W10 is a desktop operating system, though?

Point-and-Click is sort of the idiom-of-interaction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

W10 is a desktop operating system, though?

Point-and-Click is sort of the idiom-of-interaction?

a) sir, this is the linux thread

b) i know, i didn't make this poo poo, you don't need to tell me it doesn't make any sense*

*it makes sense if you believe that most users will never under any circumstances need to access those settings, and power users can learn powershell if they need to gently caress with them. the first is untrue, and the second is just contempt for your users, but whatever