Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
With thanks to Remora for letting me use their setting and database to run this with

Join us in the Discord in the #at-the-house-of-spirit channel.

The year is 1220, in a time and place distant from our stars, in a world and land similar in some ways yet strange in others lies a city, an old city, a great city, the oldest city even (well the oldest and still standing city in any case).

Enter through its gates, walk along the red sandstone pathways towards the Grand Palace at the heart of the city then take a sharp right and go down that street instead (trust me the Palace is a bit of a tourist trap), and keep going mind where the roads are less maintained and kept and where the buildings don’t so much as rise as lurch, and the streets haven’t seen a brush since time began and we reach The Arena.

At least we reach what’s left of it, the carved edifices along it’s wall have been worn down, the seats adorned with a thick layer of sand blown from the surrounding desert, and anything that wasn’t literally carved from the landscape had long since been stolen. Once this place had been the centre of entertainment, a host of the great competitions of martial prowess, an arena of honour, glory, and the occasional death. Unfortunately for the more recent rulers it was that last part that didn’t quite stick well with them, watching people get horribly maimed and killed for fun and profit wasn’t a good image after all, so the arena had been closed and the ‘games’ were moved outside of the city proper. And there what used to be the grandest arena in all of Copher had sat, unused, unwanted, collecting dust.

Until today.

A Halfling enters the arena, behind her are a large collection of stone masons, joiners, tailors, a myriad collection of labourers, a few city guards and one priest to oversee what is about to occur here. Her name is Poppy Merribuck, she is the current owner of the world renowned Merribuck’s Eateries chain, amateur Baker of the Year in 1170, 1174 and 1181, and voted business halfling of the year by Eons magazine in 1200. She’s here on request of an old friend of hers to... Well, for want of a better word, to bring some Blood Sports back to Copher.

For here she has decided, will be the hosting site of the very first all races, all martial arts, all comers Mixed Martial Arts championship for the first time in years. It took a little bit of careful diplomacy from the ruling Shah of course, ‘These won’t be fights to the death’, ‘We have trained staff on hand to ensure no lives are inadvertently lost in the course of these bouts’, ‘We have rules in place to ensure that there is no cheap shots, hidden weapons, or other such skullduggery brought into this arena’ and of course ‘what is your asking price?’

A deal was struck, and the preparations began in earnest as the Craftsmen got to work around her under the watchful eyes of the guards. The Lady of the House of Spirits seated herself on a little folding table provided to her by some aides and began to write some invitations to whom it may concern.

‘The hiatus is over, the House of Spirits will be returning soon. Come to Copher, we have much to discuss.’

--

Welcome to the House of Spirits CYOA game based somewhat on the Full Impact MMA game system. A long time ago, one whole year from the posting of this thread in fact, Remora made a thread called ‘Let’s All Play At the House of Spirit: Jiujitsu Orc Tycoon’ a very ambitious and quite entertaining romp that unfortunately ended before it could really get going, because it turned out writing 12 individual fights per update whilst updating and monitoring the stats of over 192 individual fighters is a lot of work. And I liked that thread, and I was sad to see it end early, in fact I liked it so much that one day whilst I found myself with a lot of time on my hand and not much to do with it I thought.

‘I would like to play in that thread again, why don’t I ask Remora how they did it?’

Long story short, I got permission from Remora and the gubbins he used to run the original thread to try to take a crack at this myself, but things are going to be a little different this time around for work control reasons more than anything. A lot of the rules are going to be the same, and much of the lore is also going to be the same because I liked it but the format has been changed to accommodate the amount of time I have and to avoid a story burning out before it properly ends.

You are an Ex-Fantasy MMA Fighter who retired for whatever reason from the sport, but at the turn of the decade you are given an opportunity to reenter the League, not as a competitor but as the owner of your own stable. With some financial backing and something to prove it’s up to you to scout talent, train your fighters, compete in tournaments and watch your fantasy combatants beat the poo poo out of other fantasy fighters for the honour, glory, and acquisition of money for your Clan.

Your rivals will not want you to succeed, sometimes the referees will give the win to your opponent on a tiny technicality, and sometimes the worst opponents you’ll have to face are the dumbasses under your own banner as they manage to injure themselves in the process of trying to throw a punch.

But you didn’t dive right into this expecting it to be easy did you?

--

But first, who are we? I don’t mean this in a philosophical sense I mean this more in a literal, physical sense. It will help to establish who we are in the story, before we begin it in earnest.

1. I am a Male/Female…

A. Aasimar - You are the offspring of a celestial being possibly an angel, or maybe a God.
B. Dragonborn - Your bloodline can be traced back to ancient dragons of yore, and you know this.
C. Dwarf - You are a member of the stout dwarven race. (Hill Dwarf/Mountain Dwarf)
D. Elf - You are one of the varieties of long lived elven races in the world. (High Elf/Wood Elf/Drow)
E. Gnome - You are one of the small folk, crafty and inquisitive.
F. Goblin - You are one of the smaller varieties of Goblinoid.
G. Halfling - You are a member of the ‘Good folk’ as they call themselves.
H. Hobgoblin - You are the much larger variety of Goblinoid.
I. Human - You are a Human, with everything that entails.
J. Kobold - You are one of the other, smaller kinds of Dragonkin that exist in the world.
K. Orc - You are a member of the proud Orcish race.
L. Tabaxi - You are a literal cat person.
M. Tiefling - You are the offspring of a mortal and a fiend, a devil, a demon, perhaps an evil god.
N. Triton - You came from the sea, pretty much a fish person.
O. Yuanti - You are a snake person, technically a Pure-Blooded Yuanti.

2. I used to be a professional combatant in the House of Spirits, but then…

A. I retired - You’d hesitate to call yourself ‘the best’, but you were pretty drat close right? Tournament winner, several times champion, you were prepared to make it to the big time but when you saw how the wind was blowing you retired before the league sunk properly. Your career might have been over but you still had some connections to call on.

B. I was injured - You had a good thing going, you were maybe this close to being able to go pro entirely but then something went wrong. Was it a training accident? Did an opponent foul you real bad when the ref wasn’t looking? A misdemeanour out of the ring that cost you dearly? Whether you couldn’t afford the cost for a cleric or the experience was too close to death for your comfort, you had to quit.

C. I was caught in a scandal - It was a moment of weakness, or perhaps of calculated avarice but something you did forced your early retirement in disgrace. Maybe you were caught using illicit enhancements, throwing fights for money, or being a little too foul happy for the House’s liking, or something else entirely. By all accounts you shouldn't have been able to rejoin, but after the other things that came to light with the fall of the House, your indiscretion slipped through the cracks.

D. I had to give it up - Something happened beyond your control, or perhaps you did it knowingly. Maybe a bad experience in the ring made you reconsider your priorities, the sudden passing of a relative required you to drop everything to deal with the fallout, or perhaps you just decided it wasn’t working out and you needed a career change. You left with the assumption that you wouldn’t be able to come back.

E. Write in - Something very specific you had in mind? Put it down.

3. My career would have ended there, but I took the chance to run my own stable for…

A. Glory - You’re in it to hit the big time, the fame and fortune that was in your grip slipped away the first time, you’re not about to let it happen again. When you were given the opportunity to run your own stable you leapt at the opportunity to prove you could do it, whether you were chasing your glory days or still felt like you had something to prove you’re in it to land yourself a spot in MMA history.

B. Payback - When you got the offer originally you weren’t really all that interested, you were past that life after all. Until you saw who else had taken the offer, someone who had wronged you in the past. With an opportunity to show up your nemesis like this who wouldn’t take the opportunity? And if on the way you put yourself in the history books before they could, even better right?

C. Money - Despite everything that could have been said about it, the MMA scene was lucrative. Whilst before Clan management was something only those with big money could get into, with the revival underway and the new rules for Clan rosters in place you have an opportunity to strike it rich if you play your cards right. Being in it for the money is not a bad thing on its own after all.

D. Boredom - You just couldn’t be rid of the itch, the glory of the octagon was exhilarating and your life outside of it just wasn’t doing it for you. Given the opportunity to do something you had found interesting or appealing you took the chance, it wouldn’t matter to you if you didn’t become the champions of champions but you’re here to be part of the greatest show on earth.

E. Write in - What’s your reasoning, is it for the orphanage you were raised in? Did the sun tell you to do it? Write in here.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

1: G. Halfling
2: C. I was caught in a scandal (Busted for running and participating in an extensive fight-fixing ring)
3: E. Write in (Redemption - We're goin' legit)

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

(UPDATED: We actually have a clan now)

MONTH 4 - YEAR 1220

Clan Teeny Kobolds
Clanhouse: The Residence of his Grace Emir Farad
Current Roster: 4/10 (Heavyweight Division)
Rostered Fighters:

Ginsung Duskmoon (Orc) | Grappler: Earth-fighting / Dance of Death | Record: 1-1-0 0 DQ (W-L-D)
Mardor Danxic (Dragonborn) | Grappler: Mer-wrestling / Paura | Record: 2-0-0 0 DQ
Oshyn Kingfisher (Triton) | Grappler: Earth-fighting / Aehamar | XP: 10 | Record: 2-0-0 0 DQ
Traubon Steelfist (Hill Dwarf) | Striker: Tss'Ulatasss / Mageslayer | Record: 2-0-0 0 DQ

Documentation
Current Cards and Tournaments
Current League Fighters
Detailed Teeny Kobolds Fighters

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 6, 2020

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

(Reposted from Remora's thread)
UPDATE: Copher venues added to the venue list.

The House of Spirit

The House of Spirit is a generations-old institution in the city of Goresbergh, the most prestigious unarmed combat championship in the entire world. The most promising unarmed fighters from around the world come to Goresbergh in the hopes of being crowned the House Champion, and perhaps one day joining the ranks of the Eternal Champions - and they need someplace to sleep and train while they make their dreams come true. That’s where you come in. As a manager, you have facilities and experts in Goresbergh to turn raw fighters into polished prospects.

At least it was, until a lot of problems and the Great Fixing Scandal of 1219 that occurred resulted in the almost complete collapse of the league proper, with an almost herculean amount of effort required the House was moved to it's current home of the cosmopolitan trade city of Copher, with the intention that if the league could be proven viable again to reestablish the old house in Goresbergh.

Dramatis Personae

:catholic: Poppy Merribuck ,The Master of the House: Formerly the Shepherd of the House, as the new Master her responsibilities have almost doubled from having gained control of the house after its initial lurch.
:psyduck: The Shepherd of the House: The current Shepherd is studious and well studied Aasimar with a head for numbers and a desire to keep any conversations short and to the point.
:science: The Herald of the House: A short and wiry human, the Herald of the House is responsible for making fights happen.
:cop: The Guide of the House: The House employs several, but the Guide is responsible for the long-term health of every fighter who steps into his arena. Any decision to end a fight early is his, and it is unimpeachable.
:eng101: Oswalt Porridgepot: A reporter on House-related issues for Brutality Magazine. Mostly sticks to write-ups of House events.

In addition, the House currently has a bank of twenty judges to draw upon. They come and go. Each night, three are selected, and they all have their own biases.

:agesilaus:: Leshanna Selevarun. A former House Champion, Leshanna is partial to her fellow elves.
:banjo:: Myria Underfoot. A bard, she is partial to Faereisliesen fighters, ground-dancers, and Dance of Death stylists.
:angel:: Baramiel. An aasimar priest, he is partial to practitioners of both Aehamar and Laikat.
:devil:: Kali Laughter. A retired tiefling master thief, she is partial to both tieflings and aasimar - mostly because her “charity” infuriates Baramiel.
:clint:: Torbera Lutgehr. A dwarven paladin, she is partial to practitioners of Duchess and Lyssae.
:chef:: Ander Cherrycheeks. A renowned halfling chef, he is considered an impartial judge.
:geno:: Wuni. A goblin politician who reportedly involves herself in the House’s affairs as a hobby, she is considered an impartial judge.
:niggly:: Orryn Silverthread. A gnome mage, he is partial to practitioners of Rithad.
:ninja:: Vadania the Spry. A drow who ostensibly retired from a lucrative career as a jeweler, she is partial to practitioners of Zhauraj, Nightstalker, Moonlight, and Umbranox.
:reject:: Arnold Alder. A wizened old wizard, he is a great believer in seniority.
:zombie:: Quarethon of Pyraxtallinost. A dragonborn lich, he is partial to practitioners of Eijixsjir and Sjir Darastrix.
:jebstare:: Shulali. A yuan-ti warlock, she is partial to practitioners of Tss’Ulatasss.
:smug:: Aramil Horineth. An elven silversmith, he is partial to practitioners of CORIMDA and Paura.
:wooper:: Caspian. A merfolk sage, he is partial to mer-wrestlers and druidic earth-fighters.
:mil101:: Chrola. A kobold who retired from the Dwarven Free Companies, she is partial to Akor-rin, Gentle Art, and Mageslayer stylists.
:ironicat:: Endless Reflection of the Musing Glades. A tabaxi traveler who has semiretired to Goresburgh, he is considered an impartial judge.
:orks101:: Throkk. An orcish barbarian, he is partial to practitioners of Khaanukh and the Way of the Warg.
:smaug:: Gurgorrhim. An ancient green dragon who self-nominated to his position as a judge, he is partial to kobolds and dragonborn.
:eng101: Gimmert Ungart. A dwarven sorcerer, he is partial to his fellow dwarves.
:shobon: Agatha Butler. A human doctor, she is usually very forgiving towards the losing fighter.

Venues

The House will hold its events in varying locations. A non-comprehensive list follows.

Goresbergh Locales

Anthe’s Glade: A dryad named Anthe maintains a place of power near the city, and fortunately for the House, she enjoys nothing more than watching humanoids hurt each other. The House cleans up after the event, and in exchange, she doesn’t kill anyone.
The Badlands: Sometimes, the House just doesn’t want to use any of its money or influence arranging a venue for an event. In those cases, they trek out to a spot on the nearby scrub plains, set up the cage, and let anyone who wants to watch figure out their own seating arrangements. The atmosphere at a Badlands event is decidedly laissez-faire, but often other entertainment companies get in on the action and turn it into a multi-day carnival.
The Blight: The Blight is the local slum, and although many well-to-do spectators won’t be seen there, the rent is cheap and the seats are good. The House has a standing arrangement with a few landlords to put a cage in one of the wider streets, with bleachers put up on the adjoining rooftops. Just watch your purse.
The Boneyard of Wee Jas: The local cemetery. Wee Jas’s priests have a long-standing arrangement with the House “in the pursuit of knowledge”. An amphitheatre at the centre of the cemetery is padded and fenced in, with seats looking down into the ring.
The Burgher’s Manor: The house of the local lord. Goresbergh is ruled by a semi-hereditary noble called the Burgher, who lives in a manor he couldn’t possibly hope to use all of. Sometimes, the House makes a donation to the Watchman’s Ball, and coincidentally, the Burgher decides he would love to have a night of spectacle in his massive courtyard. One wing of his house has been semi-permanently converted to bleachers for these (and similar) events.
Central Theatre: During the slow season, Goresburgh’s Central Theatre will sometimes lease its space to the House. The cage is half in the orchestra pit so the judges can get around the back of it, but the seating is the cushiest around, and the House makes a mint off the opera boxes.
Dock 14: The Thieves’ Guild has donated occasional use of their waterfront warehouse on Dock 14 to the House as part of a ... settlement for past inconveniences. Best not to inquire, really, just enjoy the fresh fish kebabs and the rafter seats.
Drut Ruins: A canyon about half a day’s travel outside the city used to be a city, and the walls of the canyon still have buildings carved into them. Local laws prevent permanent occupancy, but as far as the House is concerned, it’s a free stadium for those willing to make the trek out.
Grundurth's Grip: Grundurth the Long Grasp has for the longest time been the proprietor of the 'Goblinoid Pugilist Society' an all goblinoid league that allows even bugbears to compete. As part of a deal made by the House for more Goblin and Hobgoblin fighters, he lets the House use the great cave arena that his clan carved with their own hands for occasional matches, for those who don't mind watching the sport in a cave filled with goblinoids.
The House Garden: For truly special events, the House maintains a picturesque garden on its grounds. These events are usually an invitation-only affair for a single, special fight.
Lop Island: Out in the local Whitecliff Harbor, there is an island with a permanently open portal to the Elemental Demiplane of Rabbits. The House, through some local druids, has negotiated use of part of the island every now and then for their use. Just don’t try to snack on any of the local wildlife - the dire buns have been known to take down mindflayers.
Pelor’s Cathedral: From time to time, the priests of Pelor can be persuaded (usually with money, sometimes with favors) to open their expansive cathedral for especially large and important events. An event put on at Pelor’s Cathedral has certain expectations around it.
Razhag's Grotto: When Razhag is not calming the waters around Whitecliff Harbour for matches hosted there, he is in his coral lined palace that lies behind a great waterfall. On some occasions when he's feeling generous (or bored) he will part the waterfall with his power to allow a ring and stands to be set up in his grotto, surrounded by a myriad of aquatic life and lit by bio-luminescent plant-life. It's a picturesque locale, if a little on the damp side.
The Temple of Kord: The god of athleticism, the priests of his Goresbergh temple are always willing to lend the House a space for a night. The seats aren’t very good, but the atmosphere must be experienced to be believed.
Whitecliff Harbor: On rare occasion, the House will hold an event out on a rented raft in the middle of Whitecliff Harbor, with seating aboard chartered galleons and a friendly marid named Razhag to keep the raft steady. The House doesn’t like going to this much trouble, so it’s usually to spruce up an event that they don’t expect a lot of people to want to see in a more traditional arena.

Copher Locales

Azure Plaza: Within the Noble Quarters of Copher stands the Azure Plaza, an artistically arranged stage made as a dedication to the wife of a past Shah made out in what was her favourite colour. Due to the exclusive nature of the Plaza it has been reserved solely for special events.
Brokekeel Coast: The famous red sandstone cliffs of Copher overlook the many broken and ruined remains of countless ships that crashed ashore amongst this wrecker's coast. An agreement with the local Corsairs allows events that take place here to proceed without too much bother, with stands erected from the recycled timbers of old warships and food provided by local fishermen.
Copher Grand Arena: Once the an architectural marvel of its age and the centre of entertainment in Copher, the arena has since fallen into disuse from a movement away from gladiatorial combat sports. The arena is currently being restored for use by the House for grand tournaments.
Ghassen's Fist: Between two mountains at the only route between the lands surrounding Copher and the unexplored lands to the north stands the great fort of Ghassen's Fist, a massive fortification that has not seen a lot of use recently. The Royal Guard as such allows the use of its great training grounds for MMA events.
Goldust Caverns: The Goldust Caverns were once a source of great wealth for the city of Copher, until it breached a hole into the Elemental Plane of Earth and upset the Dao that inhabit it. Now as a part of very delicate pact a blood sacrifice was demanded, but they didn't say how much or how it was supposed to be acquired. Having multiple fighters beat each other up seems to suffice.
Hazrad's Folly: Hazrad The Black once boasted that his wealth was so great that he could raise an island from the sea itself. The small artificial archipelago near the coast is the result of his hubris when he ended up bankrupting himself in the process, but it does make for a very scenic locale for a match.
The House of Serenity: There is no Guild of Assassins in Copher, they do not operate out of this temple to an nameless God of Death. They did not agree to allow the use of this space for matches for training purposes. Don't ask about the shadowy figures in the rafter seats.
Mount Arriat: The great mountain of Arriat was supposedly the location where the first people of the world made landfall after an unknown disaster wiped the old world clean. The pilgrim tent city at the foot of the mountain makes for a very popular and fairly cheap location for matches.
Royal Amphitheatre: The open air Royal Amphitheatre of Copher rivals only the Goresbergh Central Theatre for popularity amongst all strata of society. It's layout and structure makes it ideal for larger House events as a result.
The Sirocco: The pride of the Copher Grand Navy is this gargantuan warship made from the combined efforts of Dwarfen and Gnomish shipwrights, it has enough space on it's deck for multiple tiers of bleachers alongside of the arena itself. However due to its design being a state secret, it is only permitted for special events with more easily monitored spectators.
The Spice Market: Copher is first and foremost a trade city and thus it's the collection of Souqs, Bazaars and other smaller shops make it the largest outdoor market in the world. The cheaper seats made available to this venue are compensated by the massive variety of food, drink and other side shows put on by the merchants.
Temple of the Eight Winds: High in the Skyshield Mountains up many flights of steps is a flattened plateau and a temple open to the sky, it is said this is where the eight cardinal winds are said to blow to. For those who can make the trek the experience of combat thousands of feet above sea level has very little comparison.
The Undercity Pitstop: When Copher originally started digging out what would later become it's fairly modern sewer system, it accidentally discovered the ruins of an old city that it had built on top of purely by coincidence. Since then the 'Undercity' has grown into a diverse community of Gnomes, Dwarves and other races that prefer to live Underground, the Pitstop in particular is the large communal gathering area used for many events there.
Zaid Botanical Gardens: The Scholar Zaid the Greenthumb was said to be the first natural scientist in the world at large, cataloguing a large myriad of plant-life around the world before funding the building of these gardens. The seats there are quite literally homegrown and only requires the attention of a few gardeners to maintain. Not recommended for those who suffer from hay-fever.
The Ziggurat of the Endless: The pitch black marble structure of the Ziggurat has long been used as a landmark to navigate by in the desert, and yet no one actually knows who built it. The Lich that currently inhabits it as his home certainly isn't telling, but he has after some almost certainly legendary levels of negotiation from the House allowed for its use as a sporting venue. Eternity is very dull after all, and he got a free permanent box seat out of the arrangement.

Striking Styles

Aehamar (Striking): A formerly-secret style taught in certain activist churches, aehamar is an aggressive close-quarters fighting style using the “eight weapons” of fists, elbows, knees, and feet. Clinch-fighting is common, but long-range kicks are taught as well. Aehamar practitioners consider mercy to be an unfortunate accident that happens to other people.
Barak-rin (Striking): “The way of strength”, a traditional dwarven martial art so prolific it’s barely considered an art at all. Barak-rin might best be described as “the greatest hits of bar brawling”, an art noted for its heavily improvisational style and emphasis on one-hit solutions. Barak-rin champions are especially noted for their defensive techniques and strong guards.
Bondtzi (Striking): “The Great Leap”, bondtzi is a tabaxi style focused on controlling distance - moving in and out at will while denying the opponent the ability to change distance. The style’s attacks are much less effective if your hands lack claws, but the general ethos is applicable for anyone.
CORIMDA (Striking): The martial art of elven marines, CORIMDA was developed by common enlisted consensus from the results of innumerable bar brawls and cathouse fights, with help from opposition reports courtesy of elven shore patrol, and was formally adopted by the Elvish Foreign Legion. It emphasizes close-quarters fighting, with heavy use of elbows and knees. CORIMDA is supposedly an acronym, but nobody is willing to say what it stands for.
Dance of Death (Striking): A style by bards, for bards, the dance of death is almost exclusively a kicking style. Hands? Hands are for lutes. You’re not plucking anything with your legs, use those instead. Arm movements in the dance of death are almost purely defensive, but it turns out a kick from someone who would do a jig from sun-up to sun-down is not a joke.
Duchess (Striking): At one point, Duchess was named after an actual duchess, but that name has been lost to history. Duchess is the favored fighting style of many paladins. It features a strong, wide stance that makes for powerful punches, but loses a lot in the kicking and takedown defense departments. Duchess fighters also have strong guards and typically substitute a strong sense of balance for takedown defense - meaning they can hop on one foot and hit an opponent who is trying to take the fight to the ground.
Eijixsjir (Striking): “The Scroll of the Bloody Claw”, Eijixsjir is bareknuckle (scaleknuckle) boxing for dragons. The biting attacks don’t translate well for most species, nor do the various set-ups for breath attacks, but there’s nothing quite like Eijixsjir for wading in and putting fist to face all day long. The downside is that a lot of its defensive techniques assume that you possess a thick layer of scales.
Ekolanukh (Striking): An orcish clan of knights single-handedly originated this one-on-one school of honorable fisticuffs, emphasizing positioning and strong defenses to wear an opponent out and set up a knockout punch. Unfortunately, in most practical situations, anyone coming to blows with an orcish knight is not interested in an honorable resolution, and ekolanukh floundered in the discourse of combat until finding a place at the House of Spirit and similar enterprises.
Faereisliesen (Striking): The elven art of stage combat, “art-killing” is surprisingly effective when you stop pulling your blows. Its focus on acrobatics is not always productive, but it usually makes for an entertaining sight, and faereisliesen fighters generally have exceptional energy levels.
Jarghalaur (Striking): “Idiot’s Gift” is not a dwarven style, despite the dwarven name and outlook. The central idea of Jarghalaur is that whatever you think your opponent thinks you might do - don’t do that, do literally anything besides that. Jarghalaur is difficult to employ well, since “normal” strikes like “punches” are considered to be things you shouldn’t do, but doing a handstand and kicking your opponent in the face is considered excellent form. Most successful jarghalaur fighters instead simply add the catalog of strange, unnecessarily athletic maneuvers invented over the style’s lifetime to the established list of successful martial strikes and use all of them, but “pure” jarghalaur fights are a truly bizarre spectacle.
Khaanukh (Striking): “Style” is a strong word, but khaanukh is the word given to the combat style taught by most modern barbarian circles. Its emphasis is on an unending slew of all-or-nothing strikes, which is both easy to plan for and difficult to defend against - knowing the strike is coming and being able to do anything about it are worlds apart, and it turns out that being a one-trick pony is only a problem if the trick isn’t good enough.
Kherek-nor (Striking): The gobbish school of fighting, kherek-nor assumes that you will lose, and the true victory is in doing as much damage as possible to your opponent before the inevitable. Its fatalism has certain advantages - for example, a kherek-nor champion has effectively given up on the concept of fear.
Lyssae (Striking): A variant of Duchess, Lyssae fighters prefer a tighter stance and a looser, more eclectic approach to striking, mixing punches up with elbows and hammerfists. Lower-body movements still do not feature very much, but knees are often employed as a takedown defense where a Duchess fighter would not. Lyssae also has a number of techniques for striking off of one’s back.
Paura (Striking): The elven “path of peace”, paura is more of a method of meditation than a martial art, but paura monasteries have developed a defensive style that is now synonymous with it. Paura emphasizes outmaneuvering an opponent and breaking their stance, and places value on a single accurate strike to a vital location than simply hammering away at your opponent.
Rithad (Striking): The name is an untranslateable utterance - Gnomish has a word specifically for shouting after you’ve hammered someone in the wedding tackle without warning. Rithad fighters specialize in using minor illusions to set up their attacks while evading their opponents.
Sjir Darastrix (Striking): The “Scroll of Dragons”, sjir darastrix is a collective term for dozens of kobold martial arts based on the movements of dragons and dragon-like beings. The most currently popular is Bahamut-style, but the Chroma and Deathscale schools aren’t far behind. The common heritage of these styles include high activity rates, an emphasis on precision and economy of movement, and excellent footwork.
Thousand Cuts (Striking): Thousand Cuts is a martial art based around pure speed. Move faster, hit faster, dodge faster, win faster - if you hit an opponent three times for every time they hit you, you’re probably okay. A Thousand Cuts double-jab is a thing of beauty.
Tss’Ulatasss (Striking): Yuan-ti “mirror-fighting” is actually a mental technique. The style focuses on getting into the mind of an opponent and anticipating not only their movements, but their thought process to arrive at their movements. Fighting a tss’ulatasss master, it is said, is like fighting your own mind. Most practitioners favor a highly eclectic approach to their attacks.
Ulimaanze (Striking): The “noble art”, ulimaanze is the flagship martial art of the Gray Company, an international consortium of “differently abled paladins”. Allegations of war crimes, smuggling rings, extortion, and state-level bribery schemes follow the Gray Company constantly, but never seem to make it anywhere. Their style is more of a way of thinking about fighting - namely, how do I bend the rules to my advantage without actually breaking them? A common slogan of ulimaanze practitioners is “it’s only a crime if you get caught.”
Umbranox (Striking): Umbranox is a common sight on city streets, being a collection of street-fighting techniques built for the common thief and cutpurse. The focus of the style is on maintaining range and avoiding grappling attacks, with the eventual goal of escape. In most competitions, fleeing the arena is considered a forfeit, but being able to prevent a grappler from executing their game plan is a valuable skill.
Way of the Open Hand (Striking): At one point, the Way of a Open Hand was a coherent style, the go-to method of dispensing hand-to-hand pain for anyone from anywhere. That has not been the case for a couple of centuries now. Everyone who could find something to improve on, did so, and what was once a respected juggernaut in the martial arts world slowly became a many-faced gibbering mouther with no coherent philosophy whatsoever. Fortunately, the core philosophy is still there no matter how much you pile on top of it, and the core philosophy is “go fast, kick rear end”.
Way of the Warg (Striking): The Way is a style of fighting taught by totemic barbarians and druids, with an emphasis on body strikes. The Way has twelve (or so) relatively distinct “animal styles” underneath it, and a Way fighter switches between them as needed. Need a little more mobility? Try eagle style. Only one opponent standing? Maybe give bear style a chance. Fight not going so well? Gazelle style is here for you.

Grappling Styles

Akor-rin (Grappling): “The way of valor”, a constructed martial art taught by the Dwarven army. It emphasizes clinch grappling and takedown maneuvers, with preference given to fast and aggressive limb disablement. Akor-rin also emphasizes positioning in the clinch, the better to let your buddy hit your opponent in the back with a handy axe, but this is not typically relevant in nonlethal competition.
Alhion (Grappling): A fighting style of devilish origin, alhion teaches swift and automatic redirection of an opponent to set up a deathblow. Alhion champions have nigh-unstoppable throws and trip attacks, and are equally difficult to take to the ground. Stopping power is a problem in competition, since the classic alhion finishing move involves a rapier, but modern alhion practitioners are having a vibrant conversation on acceptable substitutes.
Earth-fighting (Grappling): Druidic earth-fighting is a semi-performative martial art used for non-lethal dispute resolution, entertainment, and exercise in many druidic circles. Blows to the face and broken bones are considered poor form, but whaling on someone’s liver and choking them unconscious are perfectly acceptable, and fights end when one fighter gives up or is unable to stand.
Ground-dancing (Grappling): Developed and favored heavily by halflings, ground-dancing is an evasive and acrobatic style based around nullifying attacks until the opportunity for a limb-lock presents itself. Halflings know better than to try to fight an entire opponent perhaps four times their size, but fighting a single limb is generally workable if you’re fast enough.
Laikat (Grappling): A celestial school of ground-fighting, the name is a word in a divine language that loosely translates to “no you will not”. It focuses on positional dominance over setting up specific attacks, giving it a reputation as an extremely patient style. Getting to the ground is generally accomplished through headlong, charging takedowns.
Mageslayer (Grappling): Mageslaying is a clinching art designed around a single purpose: kill the caster. Mageslayers use body blows and strangles to rob the mage of their ability to speak, limb breaks to remove their ability to make gestures, and eye gouges for... well, that’s just something mageslayers do for themselves. It does have to be cleaned up to be used in competition, but “no-nonsense” does not even begin to cover the mageslayer’s approach to combat.
Mer-wrestling (Grappling): The ancient mermish art of positional wrestling, mer-wrestlers have few tools for finishing a fight, but many ways to make an opponent wish that they weren’t in one - or at least that they could spend more of it on their feet. Mer-wrestling traditionally takes place entirely submerged, and fighting the added density of water makes fighting on land nearly relaxing by comparison. Above sea level, the real danger of fighting a mer-wrestler is gravity - eventually, you’re going to land on something that’ll break.
Moonlight (Grappling): An urban variant of Nightstalker, Moonlight fighters use more clinch-range strikes and limb attacks, but preserve the emphasis on quiet finishes. The primary difference is that Moonlight teaches “the Approach”, a system of fighting your way inside an alert opponent’s guard in the shortest possible amount of time, to secure a finishing hold.
Nightstalker (Grappling): A ranger-centric school, Nightstalker is as much a collection of stealth techniques as it is a fighting style. A Nightstalker fighter seeks to get into clinching range, and end the fight quietly and decisively, with a dizzying array of highly specialized chokes. Limb attacks are clearly the style’s lesser priority.
The Gentle Art (Grappling): It goes by many names, but when the town guard puts your face into the gutter, they’re almost certainly using some flavor of the Gentle Art. It’s a positional grappling style designed to gain control over the arms, ideally on the ground. Getting to the ground is generally accomplished with trips and throws rather than takedowns, but the Gentle Art has some excellent thoughts on the single-leg. The acceptability of a genteel elbow to the face varies by jurisdiction, but is generally “all right, as long as you don’t get too crazy”.
Zhauraj (Grappling): Drow tunnel-fighting. The real focus is on clinching, not so much on groundwork. Zhauraj fighters have a real advantage working against the cage, but a certain weakness in that small knives are not permitted in most competitions. It also loses a lot of its real-world applicability due to its emphasis on fighting opponents with unusual numbers of limbs.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 18, 2020

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
1: H. Hobgoblin
2: B. I was injured. (Wounded by an illegal move. My opponent was disqualified and I "won" but was unable to ever fight again)
3: E. Write in (Salvation - I'm going to give poor hobgoblin kids an opportunity to make something of themselves that isn't evil -- drugs, raiding, service to a warlord, etc)

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
F Goblin, those who took their short stature as a joke soon regretted it
A Retired, near top of the league and respected
D Can't keep a good goblin down too long...

They called him the Spider....

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
NDD

We are a Triton Prince, 6th in line to the throne. All our older siblings disappeared on campaign and so we were called home in case we were needed to take the throne if our Mother died. Luckily, one older sister returned in triumph, having escaped her captors and enacting revenge.

Now? We are again throneless and bored. The dryland fights shall keep us entertained until we are called upon again to rule under the waves

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
FCD

Goblin. Got in a scandal. Bored now.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
LCD

Bored, Scandalous Cat

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

We are Iluya Jadescale, female full-blooded Yuan-ti pureblood.

1 - O : We fought for the Order of the Emerald Flame, the sole non-goblinoid in Sandy Ravage's little horde, and were too drat good to be kept down.
2 - B : A perfidious dark cleric managed to hide that one of our opponents had become a wight, and we were badly drained before the judges caught on and had him torn to shreds.
3 - B : Vengeance will be ours.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 6, 2020

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
1: J: Kobold.
2: B+C: Accidentally fell into own trap.
3: E: We just like violence, like, a whole lot.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Thank you for everyone who jumped on board for this so far, tabulating all the votes we have our final point of view character is

A Goblin, (2 Votes, one more than all the other options)
Caught in a Scandal (4 Votes)
Came back due to Boredom (4 Votes)

His name will be Grugtik, and with that, we can begin

The three year prologue

“I coulda been something, you know? Big shot featherweight champ, master of my craft, all the fame and fortune at my fingertips, and it was all there right at my fingertips ready for the taking. But err, I had a ‘clever’ idea.”

“See I had a handful of fellas under the same stable as me and a rival stable, and we kinda thought that for all the blood sweat and tears we were pouring into this sport we weren’t getting quite the resounding successes as some of the other combatants in the heavyweight or middleweight divisions were, real stingy on the little guys the House could be at times and we were all a little brassic as a result, so we made to cut a deal.”

“Put on a performance, make sure we get some guys to the finals of the tournament, one for their lot, one for our lot, split the prize pool between the winners and leave it at that. We made sure to keep the numbers small to ensure that this little scheme of ours went off without a hitch, we made sure that everyone was clear on who was gonna lose to who and that under no circumstances were we gonna try and make this go longer than we needed it to.”

“Then someone on our side, not gonna name names, decided that when they seemed to have a leg up in the match that he wasn't gonna take no falls when he could win the whole thing right there and then, a win where he was after all would guarantee him a very nice cash prize for his pockets. So he beat the crap out of the guy he was supposed to lose to and took first place in that bracket with everything that would entail. And suddenly whilst their guy took the fall in their match against me, their guy who they were expecting to get into the finals got knocked out early and wouldn’t get any money for his troubles, and boy they got real pissed about us stiffing them like that.”

“Things got out of hand at that point, one thing led to another and suddenly our little indiscretion was picked up by the House and, well let’s just say the Master of the House forgives a lotta things but collusion ain’t one of those things no siree. The rival stadle fighters got off with a fine and a suspension, as did the guy who screwed the pooch because he blabbed first, and I ended up fired and barred from competing and that was the end of that. Except after that incident the House began looking at the activities of various fighters and the management of bigger stables outside of the stadium a little more closely, the little match fixing scandal we got involved with made them start thinking about where else it could be, and it turned out there was a hell of a lot of more of that going on than even I expected.”

“The thing that ultimately ended the league itself was the discovery that for the past two to three years or so the heavyweight division, the House’s biggest money maker was just being fixed by a collaborative effort between the three biggest stables. That it was almost entirely a sham from the bottom up thanks to these three big stables practically collapsed the entire league in on itself overnight, the entire season ground to a halt and the authorities of Goresbergh got involved in at the time was the biggest criminal investigation the league had ever been a subject of.”

“As it stood, I got off lightly.”

The two week prologue

Miles down the road from the gates of Copher, a single coach trundled along the well beaten path towards the city. It’s dwarven driver had been doing this for years, he’d carried all kinds of cargo and all kinds of people to all kinds of places in his time. But no one quite like the crew that was currently crouched over a folding table inside.

The first one, a Kobold called - and he assumed this was his name because that’s what the others called him - Skaugren, he looked like a druid with all those furs and leathers but he was a little weird. Spacey was the word that came to mind, when one of the other two passengers asked him there always seemed to be a long pause before he’d finally answer, and he had the smell cave fungus around him.

The second one, one of the goblins that he actually got a card from when he was first hired for this trip, he’d stuck it somewhere in his lunchbox without thinking about it too much about it as he pawed for it, before pulling it into his vision Winston Reginald Owlsley III, Hedge Fund Wizard. Why some sorta topiary wizard was out here in the desert of all places was beyond him, maybe he was working at the botanical gardens or something. He had a sort of thin reedy voice and liked to drop big words into the conversation, talked a lot about money to the Spacey Kobold and the Other Goblin in the coach.

The third one, the other Goblin had just called himself Grugtik. He had walked up a few days before, pushed a sack of gold pieces into his hand and told him ‘all the way to Copher mate’. From the way he acted to how the other’s talked to him he looked like the brains of this outfit, and right now he seemed to have a mild argument.

Boredom?” Said Winston the Hedge Wizard incredulously. “You mean to tell me you sold off nearly everything you had, moved to Copher, and hired us full-time to join the House with you, because you felt like it?”
“No no.” Said the Goblin he recognised as Grugtik. “I said I was bored of Day Trading and wanted to do a different venture, you know that whole diversify your portholes thing you said I should do right?
Portfolios! At no point in the well wrought advice I gave you did I suggest you had to rip up everything you had root and branch and move to an entirely new city spontaneously!”
“Well I already know what I’m here for, got one of schemy-atticks for financial success in the ring of watching folks beat each other up for money.”
“You are seriously gambling your wealth on an enterprise that has only just come into being a few weeks ago? Mister Skaugran!”

Winston had since learned from his dealings with the Kobold, that if you just rattle what you say to him like you were talking to a normal person, you’re just going to get a confused ‘What?’ from him. The trick he found was to get his attention first, then ask the question.

Then 5 seconds later right on cue “Yeah?”
“You aren’t seriously on board with this plan too are you? Do we even have a place to live?”
A pause for a moment then he spoke slowly as to not jumble his words. “Well like, Grugtik said, he gots some places that we can like, chill, you know?”
He whipped back around to Grugtik at that answer “What? When were you going to-”
Grugtik raised but a single finger, and layed out a few papers. “I might not be the sharpest spoon in the toolbox but I am occasionally capable of making some decisions. Now check this out if we are seriously going about this not like a bunch of walters, we’re gonna need enough space to a bunch of folks in and the training equipment we right need. So run this by me smart man.”

1. “Where are we going to build our Clanhouse?”

A. The Giant’s Shadow
Winston: “...This is just a picture of a blank spot near Copher’s walls.”
Grugtik: “Not just any blank spot, a blank spot in Copher’s big tent city just outside the walls! It’s practically free real estate right? Free space, close to the city, easy to expand-”
Winston: “We are going to be potentially carrying a lot of money and a lot of belongings and you want to build our business in a semi-legal settlement outside of the city itself. That doesn’t seem entirely secure.”

B. The Ornery Winkle
Winston: “This is a fishing trawler.”
Grugtik: “House boats are very fashionable I am told. I know it looks a little rough around the edges but we got all this nice beach space, a little place to dock it, enough hammocks for a full crew. Hey maybe we could even move it to some of the venues!”
Winston: “You do know this region has a very notoriously calamitous rainy season right? And you want us to live on a boat in a period where not even the hardened fishermen here go out to sea willingly?”

C. 7th Company Barracks
Winston: “Alright you’ve lost me on this one, the military would let us stay here?”
Grugtik: “Ssssssort of, it’s more like these buildings in particular don’t see much use ever since they moved most of the army out of the capitol. So we can rent a barracks space and make use of all the facilities the army had here.”
Winston: That sounds reasonable, But…?”
Grugtik: “We’d have to share, I know we’re not the only Clan in the making that want a space there, so it wouldn’t be all for our use only.”

D. N.44 King’s Passage, 6th floor.
Winston: “I recognise this picture it’s from the brochure you gave us, specifically the one about the spice market.”
Grugtik: “Yes but it was the best image of this building here I could find, it has two floors of this nice penthouse and the roof to ourselves right on the doorstep of where I heard the House is setting up it’s offices. And it’s right next to the market so no problem for getting food and stuff.”
Winston: “Yes perhaps the most noisiest, active place in the entire city that is active almost 24 hours a day and it’s still a flat at the end of the day, we have to sleep in here with however many fighters you want to hire?”

E. The Residence of his Grace Emir Farad
Winston: “Please tell me you didn’t buy an entire villa in the Copher Noble Quarters”
Grugtik: “Of course not.”
Winston: “Good-”
Grugtik: “I rented it.”
Winston: “What.”
Grugtik: “It’s super roomy, lots of beds, lots of facilities and it’s self catering so we don’t gotta pay servants or anything, we just gotta remember it’s not exactly our property and as long as we don’t fall flat on our face with and don’t make as much money as we expect to this we should be able to pay the rent.”

The debate continued as the coach slowly pulled up to the city as the day progressed towards night. Eventually they’d come to a decision and that would be where the wheels of planning would start.

The 30 minutes prologue

A lot of things happen in two weeks, a lot of dotted lines signed, rules read, money changing hands. Mostly done by Winston, much to his mild consternation.

Winston had found himself in a small beachside bar, waiting for his boss slash friend and the Kobold to show up and, well unfortunately he was crunching the numbers after paying the amount for their new property, signing off on some of the new training equipment and it wasn’t great for what Grugtik told me he wanted to do.

Over a slightly watered down Mojito (A little too much ice for his case but he didn’t want to interrupt the barman as he was making it) and a few little skewers of fried meat (that were very good for the price) he was figuring out how to break the bad news to Grugtik when he caught the smell of damp cave mould and dust and without turning his head said

“Good Evening Mister Skaugren.”
“Hey man, it’s like super cool the way you know it’s me before I talk and stuff.” The Kobold after a few tries clambered up onto the high chair across from Winston. In his claws were clutched a thick wad of papers, with little tiny bookmarks between them. “So like I did that thing Grugtik told me to do.”
“Which was?”
“Find cool cats for the stable but I only found two Tabaxi.”
“I don’t think that is what-”
“I mean i found a bunch of other people too but I got like 30 guys who I think could join.”
“Yes I’ve heard, but I feel like I’ve stumbled into a mild issue on that front.”
“Yeah?”
“We can only afford four combatants, and that’s not all.”

He looked at the papers in front of him, one was a printed copy of the updated Rules for the House of Spirits that he had been flicking through during the course of his stay in Copher. The other is the final set of forms they were signing to become an official Clan.

“From what I can gather from these regulations they’re really clamping down on the number of fighters a Clan can have at a time, the maximum limit is 10 which to be fair is what it was at the start before they increased the numbers a little. But what’s different now is that they are also restricting the clans by Weight Category. Meaning we can only have 10 fighters and in a single weight category.”

“Yeah I figured it was gonna be something like that.” Said the voice of Grugtik right on the opposite side of Skaugran and Winston. Winston leapt with a mild start, Skaugran who had already noticed him showing up and said nothing did not.

“When did-”
“About five minutes ago actually, I just went to the bathroom first.”
“Well, I’ve looked over the stats and, it’s not great, I think with the funds we have left after the gym rental, training supplies, membership fees and leaving enough left for emergencies we can only afford-”
“Four fighters? Yeah that was a deliberate move on my part.”

Even Skaugran turned to look at him at that statement. “I mean bro not to sound like I did a lot of work for nothing really but, the impression I got from checking around was that like, most of the other stables were going for like five, six, even seven or eight fighters.”
“Yes I know a lot of fighters would mean more chances to advance, but do you remember that little itty bitty teeny bit about the draft process in the rules? The Clan bidding for the least amount of fighters picks first” He rubbed his hands together at this, this had been his plan from the get go. “So, I figured, if we’re in this set without the real big money to swing around here, why don’t we bet for quality rather than quantity and go from there.”

He looked at Skaugran and beckoned to the sheets he had laid in front of him. “Pass ‘em over let’s see who we’re working with. Ten each right?”
“Yeah Grug, I asked around, followed my gut and stuff got about ten fighters of those weight categories.”
“Sound, let’s start from the top then.”

2. Which Weight Division are we going to commit to first?

A. Featherweight Division

The Featherweight Division covers fighters of naturally shorter races rather than solely being weight based, it includes Kobolds, Gnomes, Goblins and Halflings

Grugtik flicked through the files, after a few moments he turned to look at Skaugran. “Not that I do not appreciate your work but, I noticed a lot of Kobolds here, more than half of these are Kobolds in fact.”
“Well I mean, I guess I had more luck talking with other Kobolds I guess?”
Not one Halfling was interested?”
“They always seemed really nervous when they talked to me, don’t know why.”

B. Middleweight Division

The Middleweight Division covers fighters under 185lbs, it is a broad category that includes Aasimar, Dwarves, Elves, Humans, Tabaxi, Tieflings, Tritons, and Yuanti

Grugtik sifted through the files in front of him, his eyes widened a little at some of the stats in front of him. “Skaugran have you been talking to Gray Company boys?”
“Yeah man, a few of them were like, super on board with joining.”
“Yeah I’m kinda noticing that, there’s not a single Dwarf or Human on this list. In fact a lot of the really common races in this size category aren’t on this list.”
I did get two elves though so it’s not as though I was avoiding them or anything.”

C. Heavyweight Division

The Heavyweight Division covers fighters above 185lbs, it includes primarily Dragonborn, Orcs and Hobgoblins, but also includes some Aasimar, Humans and Yuanti, and very occasionally some Dwarves, Tabaxi, Tieflings or Tritons
Grugtik scanned some of the first few statlines and whistled under his breath. “I know this is the Heavyweight Division but these are some heavy duty lads, the defence factor on a lot of these boys is super high, like look at this guy he’s got one that’s 140! That’s higher than anyone I knew when I started out.”
Skaugran rubbed the back of his neck. “I tried to see if some Dragonborns would join but they didn’t seem all that keen on us being a ‘smaller’ stable. Except one. Most boys that were interested though were Greenskin folk, like Orcs and Hobgoblins and the like.”
“Annnd I see we’ve managed to find way more Humans and Dwarves here that we expected, no one can say we aren’t inclusive at least.”

Winston cleared his throat. “There is actually one more matter we should discuss, I was waiting on you for this one Grugtik.”

3. We still need to name our clan, what are we going to call ourselves?

Grugtik wiggled his fingers a little at this, “I’ll admit I had some ideas but couldn’t find the time to sit down and roundtable it, you know?”
“Well” Said Winston, reaching into his back pocket and producing a small book. “From what I gathered typically Clan names go along the lines of a descriptive Adjective, and then some manner of object like an Animal or Object, you know like Smoke Jaguar or Coiled Serpents.”
“More of a suggestion than a guideline though man” Skaugran interjected. “I mean back in our day we had all sorts we had like, Slamonomicon and The Golden Hoard and The Dick Kickers.”
“I don’t believe that last one.” Winston said incredulously.
“No he is in fact right, that was a name. But for the sake of avoiding any legal argybargy we should probably not pick a name someone else already had. They didn’t exactly disappear after the House went under for the first time.”

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 11, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

EC we want quality, not quantity. So good living to entice the best fighters to go with our small stable and make it heavyweight to make sure the fight purses are BIG

Let's be the Teeny Kobolds for the funny factor

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
1. C Barracks seem like a nice middle ground, compared to pros/cons of the other choices
2. B Middle Weight sounds more interesting to me than wrangling kobolds or orcs.
3. Gru's Finest

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Slaan posted:

EC we want quality, not quantity. So good living to entice the best fighters to go with our small stable and make it heavyweight to make sure the fight purses are BIG

I'm down with all of this.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Slaan posted:

All of this.

Quality not quantity. And if we're a goblin, I'd like to make a preference for hobgoblins.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

EC with the lone Dragonborn he's probably got something to prove.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Glad to see this is running again, even if in a different form.

Slaan posted:

Sounds good to me!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

With our votes tallied, we are very firmly set on the Residence of His Grace Emir Farad as the location of our new stable, Teeny Kobolds as our Clan name (which if you don’t mind I am changing slightly to Clan Teeny Kobolds) and have committed to the Heavyweight Division to start out with. Onward, we’re nearly there to the fighting we have to get the intro out the way first!

Late Evening, Copher Grand Arena

The day of the announcement had arrived, whatever preparation Grugtik and the newly named Clan Teeny Kobolds needed to be done had been done, it’s paperwork filed away and their new ‘gym’ had been furnished (With a mild bump over the inclusion of sandbags on the patio veranda as it ‘clashed most unpleasantly with the aesthetics’, which was resolved with a little paint.) Now all they had to do was wait.

All three of them had arrived early to the function, it wasn’t really done to be late to your own Clan’s draft after all. Skaugren had parted ways with them at the VIP doors to go muddle in with the crowd instead, Winston and Grugtik took their time and advantage of the free bar that was on offer until it their turn for the draft, the Heavyweight Division would be drafted last of course and they weren’t too bothered to see who got picked for who in a division they weren’t going to enter.

“Can I jusht say?” Said Winston, he had turned a somewhat leery gaze at Grugtik, more leery than usual probably due to the drinks but even so. “Clan, Teeny Kobolds.”
“Yeah.” Grugtik nodded
“Really?”
“Yeah?”
Really?
“Okay look, I know it’s not exactly the most serious of names to fight under, but look at this way, we are the smallest Clan already, so most of the bigger groups aren’t gonna take us seriously anyway, so why not lean into it?”

Grugtik took a sip of his own drink, which in this case was just plain water. As much as he would have liked to make a good college try of the entire top shelf of vintage liquors that was on offer whilst the going was good, he had to put on a show of being upright and appearing sober when he made his own picks for the draft.

Winston still had his own misgivings though “Yeah but, Teeny Kobolds though. He wheedled. “If we’d gone with the Featherweight Division that’d be one thing cus we’d have lots then, but we only have one Kobold and he’s the trainer. We can’t put him in the Heavyweight ring, he'll get real squished like, yeah?” He tilted slightly off the seat, wordlessly Grugtik reached over and gently tilted him fully upright again.

“I wouldn’t be so sure about that, he might be slow on the uptake and probably toasted out of his mind but he’s a mean bugger in a fight, I’ve seen it, he froths at the mouth and everything... Hey in fact!” Grugtik snapped his fingers as the inspiration struck him, powered by good hydration and drink. “That’s just what we are, we look small and unassuming, but we’ll really poo poo up anyone who thinks our bite is as bad as our seemingly tiny bark.”

BONG!

’This is an arena wide message, the Heavyweight Division draft will begin shortly, followed by the announcement of this year’s summer tournament. May the managers concerned please report to the side entrance for the mandatory protocol briefing.

“Hey like, right on time man.” Said the suddenly present Skaugran looking very out of place in a very ill-fitting suit. “Woah that guy looks super blitzed, you want me to take him to his seat boss?”
“If you wouldn’t mind Skau, I’ve gotta make a good impression.”
“Tight, come on little dude, I got the good box seats and parked a whole fungal beast on them, we’ll have a good view of the show.”
“Whwait when you say a whole beast…” Winston started, before being shuffled away at Skaugran’s insistence.

---

For something that had looked lost to the sands of time only a few months earlier, the restoration efforts carried out by the House of Spirits had turned the shabby wind blasted Grand Arena into - if not the splitting image of - than at least a good gussied up fake of its former glory. The carpets had been relaid, the windows reinserted, the shade coverings knitted and the surrounding neighbourhood very thoroughly warned that if they tried to make off with any of it there would be examples made.

Poppy Merribuck beamed with pride on the inside, what had started out as seemingly an impossible task to revive the league properly seemed now thoroughly underway. It would have to prove it was profitable and that it could avoid the big scandals that were the downfall of the House previously, but setting up the league from the ground up in this new city had been the hardest part for the past three or so years of her work. This part? It was the least of her currently twelve concerns right now.

”Ladies and Gentlemen, I thank you for your patience!” Her voice boomed out amongst the arena, one part some classical opera training she had received as a child, one part the work of careful thaumaturgy in the background. “The progression of our fine fighters in the Featherweight Divisions and Middleweight divisions has been witnessed, our guest performance from the Brass Dragoon Band and Cirque du Lumiere have been greatly appreciated, but now we bring ourselves to the two events you have all been waiting for.

Thunder rolled overhead, or it seemed to, the crowd looked up but there were no clouds. Once again, careful thaumaturgy. “May I introduce first and foremost, the fighters of the Heavyweight Division!” The doors at the far end of the stadium boomed as old mechanisms pulled the massive bronze doors aside to the roaring cheers of the crowd and the booming of many drums arranged around the arena. Sixty-four fighters entered the ring, wearing the ceremonial togas and brass belts of the sport’s past (a slightly revised version anyway since they had technically fought naked back then), a mixture of men and women strided into the stadium flanked on all sides by all the Guides of the House responsible for the Heavyweight Division, a motley crew of dragonborn, orcs, and hobgoblins intermingled with the occasional human face, fin tipped triton ear, scaly yuanti hide and for the very observant, one set of horns belonging to the sole tiefling entrant.

They lined up in the centre of the pitch before Poppy’s Standee and came to a halt. The fighters and guides all gave the three traditional salutes as customary, first to the crowd; those who in their name they do battle, second to the ruling lord of the city, in this case the Shah of Copher; they who by their grace allows this martial event to take place within their lands, and finally to Poppy Merribuck, Master of the House; who by her hand will these august events commence and by her hand will end.

”poo poo poo poo poo poo” Poppy’s ears perked up at the little voice in her ear that only she could hear, it was tied to a senior guide back in the entrance where the fighters had emerged from. ”We’re supposed to have ten managers here but we only have nine. Some bugger is late and he’s supposed to come out 4th!”
”Proceed anyway” She thought back, surreptitiously touching a small bead on her bracelet to transmit the thought. ”If they miss their assigned spot that's on them.”

Sigh, that’s the problem with these traditional and grandiose ceremonies when there are this many participants involved, you’ll always get one who doesn’t follow the script and screws up somehow. Hiding her irritation with the skill of an actor, she continued onward.

“Now as is customary and as witnessed twice previously this night, the draft has been drawn by my hands and brought to this sanctified arena, we will announce the Clans and the Fighters that will join them. Come forth Clan Master of Clan Teeny Kobolds, Grugtik!"

The cheers of the crowd couldn’t quite drown out the small smatterings of laughter here and there to Grugtik’s ears. But that’s fine, let them laugh, they’ll be more blown away by his victories as a result.

’I remember being on the other end of this, how time flies.’ Grugtik thought, wearing the supposed ceremonial garb of old Clan warlords, striding forth with the banner of Clan Teeny Kobolds held proudly aloft in one hand, and a baton of office held in the other. ’When my old manager ‘Mister’ Nedrazeer entered the stadium during this ceremony, that was something special. Probably because he was a massive Lich and really scary at his full height and was carried in on a skeletal palanquin, but I’m not entirely sure I could pull that look off myself somehow.

Stepping past the two blocks of thirty-two fighters he made his way to the podium, up the small hidden step helpfully provided, to the thaumaturgy crystal at the top. He sheathed the baton, planted the banner in the provided stand, and pulled out the sealed envelope he had been handed before by the very seriously looking gentlemen guide. The edges were trimmed in gold leaf and had a wax seal bearing the ancient seal of the House, a bit pompous really but the pomposity was the point.

He opened it, speed-read the lines in front of him, and then raised his voice to the crystal.

I, Clan Master Grugtik, of Clan Teeny Kobolds declare to all present the following fighters under my banner.

1. Choose your fighters, you have to pick four

A. Vendon 'The Giant'
Male Heavyweight (Hobgoblin)
Grappling: Zhauraj/Barak-rin
Workrate: Moderate
Health: Good
Offence: 144
Defence: 140
Finishing: Bronze
Chin: Bronze
Heart: Silver
Signature: Suplex (0)
Experience: 10 (10 available)
Biography: It's often said by many MMA coaches that you can't train someone to be 7'0" tall. Vendon tried to do just that however and as he now stands a good head taller than most other races he considered it a success, unrelated to his sudden growth spurt as a young Hobgoblin. Currently he is now training himself to be 8'0" tall.

B. Urud Batcrusher
Male Heavyweight (Orc)
Grappling: Mer-wrestling/Corimda
Health: Average
Defence: 110
Signature: Salaverry (0)
Experience: 22 (22 available)
Biography: Despite the name Urud is actually the main beneficiary of the 'Bat Conservation Trust' for the protection of the native bat populations in Copher. Most orcs would be laughed at for such softness, but you don't laugh at one that can dislocate every single bone in your body.

C. Mardor Danxic
Male Heavyweight (Dragonborn)
Grappling: Mer-wrestling/Paura
Workrate: Maximum
Defence: 125
Signature: Cage Push (0)
Experience: 14 (14 available)
Biography: When this bronze dragonborn isn't slamming his opponents against the mat, he's slamming the big waves that crash against the Brokekeel Coast or pounding back ale and grilled meats along the seafront in Copher. In his eyes by combining work and play into one, the party never has to stop for Mardor.

D. Gagnog 'The Oaf'
Male Heavyweight (Hobgoblin)
Striker: Jarghalaur/Akor-rin
Health: Poor
Offence: 143
Defence: 105
Chin: Silver
Heart: Bronze
Signature: Elbow to Head (0)
Experience: 4 (4 available)
Biography: Gagnog the Oaf actually has a doctorate in classical literature at the Copher U, doing his thesis on lesser known goblinoid authors and is fluent in multiple languages. But 'The Oaf' was his ring name given to him as a joke when he first debuted, and annoyingly stuck after he won that match handily.

E. Fayyaad Lutgher
Male Heavyweight (Human)
Striker: Barak-rin/Akor-rin
Offence: 145
Defence: 105
Signature: Uppercut to Head (0)
Experience: 23 (23 available)
Biography: Fayyaad is what happens when through a series of strange circumstances you have a human baby raised by a family of Dwarves. He was fluent in Dwarven before Common, tried to grow his own beard out to be as long as his da's, and has an iron stomach hardened by straight dwarven ale and frequent exercise.

F. Zog Wolfslammer
Male Heavyweight (Orc)
Striker: Bondtzi/Alhion
Workrate: High
Offence: 146
Defence: 85
Signature: Hammer Fist (0)
Experience: 14 (14 available)
Biography: Some say that Zog used to be a savage devil slayer who could rip them to pieces with his bare hands, whilst others say he was raised in a forest by a pack of wolves to the point that he was more wolf than Orc. Yet those who meet him don't understand the meek Orc that stands before them, yet some observers have noted that the Zog out of the ring seems a lot different to the Zog in the ring, perhaps it's just a Kayfabe thing?

G. Ginsung Duskmoon
Female Heavyweight (Orc)
Grappling: Earth-fighting/Dance of Death
Workrate: Low
Offence: 143
Defence: 95
Signature: Salaverry (0)
Experience: 9 (9 available)
Biography: From the desert comes an unusual tribe of Orcs known for their flamboyantly graceful yet violent contact heavy dance routines as a method to settle grievances, without the need for spilling blood. Ginsung is one of the Orcs of this tribe and after winning her right to become a full adult in one of these fights, decided to take her dance battling to the upcoming MMA circuit in Copher.

H. Darcy Landown
Male Heavyweight (Human)
Grappling: Akor-rin/Kherek-nor
Offence: 142
Defence: 120
Signature: Trip (0)
Biography: Darcy used to be a sailor on a merchant vessel, until the ship he worked on was impounded in Copher due to being in possession of occult relics. Sooner than be caught up in a long investigation for possible cult membership, Darcy got off at port and decided that a job as a ring fighter is his best chance to avoid imprisonment whilst he was here.

I. Oshyn Kingfisher
Female Heavyweight (Triton)
Grappling: Earth-fighting/Aehamar
Offence: 145
Defence: 95
Signature: Kneebar (0)
Biography: Many lives are claimed by the fishing fleets of Copher every year, Oshyn is not one of those casualties as being both a Triton and Druid makes seafaring very easy, but after coming back from being tossed overboard only to find they assumed she was dead for the third time, she decided she needed a change of career. MMA seemed like a much safer alternative in comparison.

J. Traubon Steelfist
Male Heavyweight (Hill Dwarf)
Striker: Tss'Ulatasss/Mageslayer
Health: Poor
Defence: 125
Signature: Straight to Head (0)
Experience: 11 (11 available)
Biography: When asked what his training regime was, Traubon simply remarked that their family of carpenters were once too poor to replace a hammer that had broken, so he started hammering in and removing the nails with his bare hands instead. Afterwards he said this was a joke and yet they've seen him do just that as a party trick once or twice with his much scarred hands.

Tutorial, fighter stats posted:

"Wait what do most of these stats mean?" Don't worry I gotchu fam, there are some things below missing from the above sheets due to them not being important for now, but they will be included later. Quoted from Remora's thread, modified in places

Manager: Which Clan is responsible for this fighter. Fighters that have no clan will be managed by the Shepherd of the House.
Weight and Race: There are three weight classes recognised by the House: Featherweight (<100lb), Middleweight (100-185lb), and Heavyweight (185+lb). Generally there is no movement between weight classes, heavyweights as a rule are well over two hundred pounds, and featherweights are races that can’t really get bigger than eighty pounds or so. There are eighteen races: aasimar, dragonborn, drow, gnome, goblin, halfling, high elf, hill dwarf, hobgoblin, human, kobold, mountain dwarf, orc, tabaxi, tiefling, triton, wood elf, and yuan-ti.
Type and Style: Fighters are either Strikers or Grapplers, reflecting their primary area of emphasis. I put together a list of fantasy martial arts styles, because listening to arguments about real world style match-ups is something I don’t think is going to be super fun for the thread. There are 21 striking and 12 grappling styles, which are currently mechanically identical. Every fighter has a striking style and a grappling style.
Record: Wins, losses, draws, and disqualifications within the House of Spirit. Most every fighter good enough to make it in the House has a record elsewhere, but the House has a real “if you’re not here, you aren’t anywhere” perspective.
Workrate: Rated on a five-point scale: Minimum, Low, Moderate, High, Maximum. Workrate is how frequently a fighter is on the attack. A low workrate is not necessarily bad, if coupled with a high Defence. Likewise, a high workrate won’t deliver good results without a high Offence.
Health: Rated on a three-point scale: Poor, Average, Good. Health is a representation of how frequently a fighter suffers injuries in the ring. It happens to everyone, but some people more often than others. Injuries range in severity from virtually unnoticeable to life-threatening.
Offence: A numerical rating of how powerful a fighter’s attacks are. Starting fighters range from 139 to 148. Offence has no actual ceiling. Higher Offence ratings, generally, give better chances for favourable decisions and TKOs.
Defence: A numerical rating of how good a fighter’s defence is. Starting fighters range from 70 to 140, and theoretically maxes out at 240. Not all fighters are capable of achieving that level, and there will be a note when a fighter has achieved their maximum possible defence level. The higher a fighter’s Defence is, the more often they will block (or even counter) an opponent’s attacks.
Finishing: Rated on a five-point scale: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Legendary. Higher Finishing ratings mean that a fighter has a better chance of getting a knockout or a submission during a fight.
Chin: Rated on a five-point scale: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Legendary. A better Chin means it’s harder to knock a fighter out, but everyone has an off day.
Heart: Rated on a five-point scale: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Legendary. A better Heart means it’s harder to submit you, but it’s never impossible.
Tenure: How many years you’ve been in the House. If you finish a year with a Tenure higher than your Career Strength, it’s time to find another vocation. The Elvish Foreign Legion’s always hiring...
Career Strength: How long you’ve got to stay in the game. Things that can drop it: scandals, injuries, particularly bad losses. Things that can boost it: wins, awards, title fights. Starts at 10 by default.
Signature: Everybody’s got their special move. Here’s yours. The number at the end reflects the strength of your signature move - your signature move is always one of your strongest, but you can polish it further.
Experience: How much you’ve earned, and how much you have to spend. This is how you improve as a fighter.
Biography: Your story, as well as any awards you’ve earned.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 12, 2020

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Oh hey, a Jarghalaur practitioner. Easy first pick.

CDIJ

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B
C
E
J

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

BGIJ

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

AGIJ. Great job on the thread so far!

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
AJEI

We got a max defense on the table. We gotta take that. A for a first choice by far.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

BGIJ

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

CFGI

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
CDIJ

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
ADIJ

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

I, Clan Master Grugtik, of Clan Teeny Kobold declare to all present the following fighters under my banner.

The clamour in the stadium built as Grugtik began to read off his drafted fights.

Traubon Steelfist.

”This guy here.” Grugtik had said the day before in that bar, pointing to the picture of a very grizzled looking Hill Dwarf. ”I’ve heard about someone who could drive nails into hardwood with his fists, is this the guy?”
”I kinda assumed it was a trick.” Skaugren had replied. ”And dude I saw him do it like he was pushing thumb tacks into a drywall, he’s the real deal alright”

Oshyn Kingfisher

”How about this one then?” Grugtik tapped on the sole Triton occupant in files they were pouring over. ”If she was a Fisherwoman before she joined the league where did she get her training?”
”Very likely whoever gave her the training as a Druid.” Winston interjected “And considering her profession probably got in a handful of fights in the process, the fishermen here I have heard have their own indie bare knuckle pugilism circuit. It’s a little more fast and loose than how the House seems to do it.”

Mardor Danxic

”A beach bum? Can we be sure he isn’t gonna drink on the job?” Grugtik asked, he knew that the league rules on non-performance enhancing substances in the ring were not overly stringent but still.
”Nah man I talked to him about it over some brewskis, he’s chill” Reassured Skaugran, pointing to the man’s previous records near the bottom of the page “And at his varsity college he was the Coastal Wrestling college champ. He’ll be a good fit for us trust me!"

And Gingsung Duskmoon.

”I keep reading this surname as Darkmoon, not gonna lie. Is there a Darkmoon tribe?”
”In fact I do believe there is one” Answered Winston, adjusting his glasses. ”But they aren’t native to this region. The Duskmoon tribe do occasionally do performances in the surrounding villages for money, it’s quite the spectacle. Toned down from the combat version of course.”
“So is her fighting style legit?”
“If she won her right to adulthood at her current age, I would almost certainly say yes.”

Taking up his banner Grugtik returned to his assigned position on the floor in front of the assembled block of fighters and quietly watched the rest of the proceedings play out with the other clans. He’d done it, the night had progressed, nothing bad had happened, he had drafted the fighters he wished to draft, it would have to take some sort of cosmic joke to ruin this good night for him at this point. It happened when the fourth clan came to announce its draft results.

“Come forth, Clan Master Wobble Timbers, of Clan Dread Wyrm

From the gate emerged a portly halfling carrying what looked like an incredibly gaudy banner, made to look like it was being clutched by a skeletal dragon. He too like the others before him bore the ceremonial garb of the Clan Master, but it looked like the size he had been given was a little too small for his frame, it strained against his movement as he hurriedly made his way to the Podium, the gaudy banner and the various ceremonial accessories rattling and jangling as his jogged.

Skaugran in the crowd with Winston, cupped his hands around his eyes to try and get a good look and clearly didn’t like what he saw. “Ahhh that ain’t good.” He mumbled to himself. “Grugtik is gonna be livid.”
“Ish err, who that?” Winston slurred, leaning over his shoulder to get a better look.
“Someone who we have a kinda sorta, history with.”
“That’s… Bad?”
“Well Grug is staring daggers into him as he’s walking to the podium, so I’m gonna say yeah kinda.”

When Wobbles stopped to catch his breath and began to read out his drafted fighters, he didn’t once turn to look at the burning sensation piercing the back of his skull. He didn’t look when he finished or when he took his fighters to their positions on the podium. Grugtik continued the gaze for a few seconds after he had already lost sight of him before giving it up.and turning his attention back to the rest of the draft.

And it was almost a perfect night.

---

When the last Heavyweight Fighter had been picked and the last few clans were decided, the stadium was cleared for the very last announcement of the night.

“We thank you for your patience Ladies and Gentlemen of Copher.” Poppy spoke, as around her a few dark clad stage assistance were preparing for the next and final part of the night.” On the stage rolled a large object covered in a scarlet cloth, three distinct spires could be seen under the covers, a few members of the crowd on the front row seats leaned in for a closer look.

“In this city that I have made my new home away from home I have learned much, the languages, the society, the people, the traditions. And I have learned the great winds that throughout this land, that carry the trade ships, that blow through the deserts and the mountains, and the names the people have given them.

“We have our fighters, we have our clans, but we do not have our champions. And that over the course of our debut season shall change. May I introduce to you all…” And on her signal the cloth was pulled away, revealing all to see three gilded and ornate belts and three huge trophies of varying size and one word amongst the base.

The Summer Maelstrom Gauntlet!” The crowd erupted at this, a team of wizards projected the image of the trophies and belts into the air for those in the stadium who couldn’t see them from their seats. The image faded away to be replaced with an 8 pointed compass that bore the tournament’s name.

“To decide our title belt holders for this first year, we will be holding over the next few months a series of eight qualifiers in various venues in and around Copher totalling 8 fights for each of the weight divisions, the winner of these qualifier tournaments will receive a handsome cash prize and a spot in the finals, held in this very arena for the title of Champion!

“For all of you in attendance we will be handing out information flyers on your departure from the stadium, and for all the managers in attendance, you shall be receiving the brackets and venues for round 1 later this week. And for one last thing for you all before we bring this show to the end with the traditional Urororzumi throat-singing circle, the first qualifier will be held in Copher’s very own Spice Market next Saturday, with special thanks to Omnivision for being able to set this up so quickly.”

“And now, for the traditional performance of ‘Dewdrops of Grungallagon’ by our in house choir.”

As the strange and ethereal tones of the performance poured into the night, Grugtik had met back up with Skaugran, Winston (Who was being carried by Skaugran at this point) and the rest of their fighters whilst the streets weren’t too rammed to make it home easily.

“Alright boys and girls.” Grugtik said, out of the ceremonial garb and back in his suit he had gone through the effort to get this far already. Now all he had to do was prove he deserved to be here.

“Let’s get to work.”

---

Thank you for bearing with the preamble, now we will begin Year 1/Month 1/Week 1 and enter the rest of the game properly.

Every month of the game contains an Events Phase, a Roster Phase, a Staff Phase, and a Fight Phase

The Event Phase is a random occurrence that happens this month in the City of Copher and the House of Spirits in general, right now as the league is starting up there will be some more standard events until I get the general swing of this down. Later I will be building a chart to roll on.

The Roster Phase, at the start of every month you may spend the experience your fighters have gained to train their stats. The amounts you gain and the cost of the items you spend it on are below.

Experience Costs and Amounts posted:

Lose a match: 1 point
Win a match: 3 points
Lose a title: 2 points
Win a title: 6 points
Win by KO/Sub: +2
Win by TKO: +1
Lose by decision: +1
Win a tournament: Varying depending on size and "difficulty", but the 64-man tournament coming up will probably award 7 points to the eventual champion and 3 points to the rest of those finishing in the top eight.

Increase Primary Style Offence: Varies based on Offence Rating, usually <5 points but specific amount is listed on each fighter, cost increases as you purchase more, increases your Offence Rating
Increase Secondary Style Offence: Varies, usually <10 points but specific amount is listed on each fighter, cost increases as you purchase more, increases your Offence Rating
Improve Defence: 15 points, makes it more likely you will entirely block an opponent's attack
Improve Countering: 15 points, makes it more likely you will counter an opponent's attack
Increase Finishing: 20 points, makes it more likely that you will score knockouts (for Strikers) or submissions (for Grapplers)
Increase Signature Power: 6, makes your signature move more powerful
Improve Chin: 10 for Strikers, 15 for Grapplers, makes you harder to knock out
Improve Heart: 15 for Strikers, 10 for Grapplers, makes you harder to submit

This would also be the time where you could sign up fighters for any new tournaments or exhibition matches that show themselves, but currently there are no other tournaments going.

The Staff Phase covers the efforts to build the roster, hire new staff, buy new equipment, and other such managerial activities. Right at this moment in time the options are fairly limited as Grugtik and the gang have already spent a lot of their starting budget to set up the Clanhouse, but later they’ll have the capital to start buying new equipment or hiring new staff and fighters to Clan Teeny Kobolds. Some of these actions may require the use of a dice roll. This will just be a straight d20 rolled by me, with modifiers adding or subtracting from the roll depending on the circumstance. Getting a rookie fighter to join your stable is easy, getting a major stable to part with their multiple heavyweight championship fighter not so much.

Right now the only available member for these activities is Grugtik himself, Winston is too busy managing finances and Skaugran is too busy training the new recruits to do any running around the city. He can do up to two actions in a staff phase, but his only available action for now is as follows.

Observe - In addition to fights that contain Clan Teeny Kobolds members, a Staff member may choose to watch one other fight in a month of matches per use of this action. The purpose of this is to identify the fighters taking part in the match, this is important as later on you will not be able to recruit fighters you haven’t first observed this way. Fighters against Clan Teeny Kobold members will be observed by default. The six fighters you did not vote for are also identified.

The Fight Phase is when we run through five weeks of fights before the end of the month, simulated in a modified version of the Full Impact MMA ruleset. Non-title fight matches contain three 5 minute rounds each made of 10 ‘turns’ and scored on the MMA points system, the winner is the fighter who
-Scores the most points at the end of the three rounds.
-Achieves a TKO on his opponent.
-Achieves a KO or TO on his opponent.
-Has their opponent DQ’ed due to a rules violation.

At the end of the battle both fighters will gain XP depending on how they did, and may lose or gain career strength depending on the nature of the win/loss. The fights that concern us or have been observed I will give a full write up for, other fights will be given a brief summary.

If you have any questions you can find me at the CYOA General Discord or Dogkisser's CYOA Discord under the #at-the-house-of-spirit channel

---

WEEK 1, MONTH 1 - YEAR 1220

Clan Teeny Kobolds
Rostered Fighters:

1) Ginsung Duskmoon (Orc) | XP: 9, Primary Offence Cost: 3, Secondary Offence Cost: 6 | Condition: Healthy | Morale: Good | Status: In Tournament
2) Mardor Danxic (Dragonborn) | XP: 14, Primary Offence Cost: 3, Secondary Offence Cost: 6 | Condition: Healthy | Morale: Good | Status: In Tournament
3) Oshyn Kingfisher (Triton) | XP: 10, Primary Offence Cost: 3, Secondary Offence Cost: 6 | Condition: Healthy | Morale: Good | Status: In Tournament
4) Traubon Steelfist (Hill Dwarf) | XP: 11, Primary Offence Cost: 3, Secondary Offence Cost: 6 | Condition: Healthy | Morale: Good | Status: In Tournament

-

Current Available Staff:

1) Grugtik (Goblin) - None

Available Actions: You have two available actions

>Observe - Observe a match from this week.

-

Current Events

>League Debut: A whole new league with a huge tournament to kick it off, at this stage there isn’t likely to be any shenanigans. Yet.

Documentation
Current Cards and Tournaments
Current League Fighters
Detailed Teeny Kobolds Fighters
Lore Index

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 14, 2020

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

:siren:VOTE TIME:siren:

I realise I may have not been entirely clear in explaining what you're supposed to do here in my rush to get the post out quickly, my apologies. We are currently in the Roster Phase and Clan Phase that requires that we do two things.

1) First, spend XP on the fighters if you so wish, with the costs and effects of the training listed above. Or, you can Let Skaugran Handle It and he'll use his best judgement to decide the training, if any.

2) Observe two fights. Put specifically which fights on this list in the Maelstrom Gauntlet tag under Week 1 would you like a full write up of rather than a brief summary and the final result apart from the fights that contain Clan Teeny Kobolds members? In addition you will also reveal the full stat line and biography of the fighters you are watching on this sheet here, and can attempt to recruit them later. You will not be able to recruit any fighters that you haven't watched in this manner.

There will be more options later but I don't exactly have a solid grasp down of how I wish to handle money and the purchasing of things yet so please bear with me, I am still mostly new to this.

(For the sake of simplification I've removed the Bracket Rearranging option for now)

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 14, 2020

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Let's let Skaugren handle it, and I have no strong feelings on observing any particular fights.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Let Skaugren handle it.

Show us the Jarhagular practitioner we should have signed.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Let Skaugren handle it.

Vendon the Giant.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Watch Klod the Rock so we know if he lives up to the name

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Skaugren can handle it.

Van the Impaler and Zhuzod Pridesaber

What can I say? West Ponente has a really good lineup this round.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Jossar posted:

Skaugren can handle it.

Van the Impaler and Zhuzod Pridesaber

What can I say? West Ponente has a really good lineup this round.

Agreed

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Roster Phase

>Let Skaugran Handle It “You got it boss.”

Traubon Steelfist - x3 Primary Style Offense, -9 XP
”Gotta good right hook that man, form ain’t the problem so much as the stoppin’ power. Let’s start with some core muscle training and see where we get from there”

Ginsung Duskmoon - Saving for Improved Blocking
”Gotta say I really like watching you do what you do but, they tend to go a bit harder on the bumps in this league but that’s okay, we can work on the defence and put the offense to work.”

Mardor Danxic, Oshyn Kingfisher - Waiting for Month 2
”Keep working on the basics my guy, I’ll get a feel for who you’re up against and go from there”

Staff Phase

>Observe (I would restrict this to two matches, but I will allow the extra one to go in on account of one of these matches being very short.)

>Archibold Fischer (Night Lotus) Vs Vendon The Giant (Dread Wyrm)
>Gagnog The Oaf (Dread Wyrm) Vs Tokul Farjek (King Cobra)
>Klod The Rock (Grizzly) Vs Arkog The Shrewd (Night Lotus)

--

Fight Phase, START!

Week 1 - North Tramontane Qualifiers, The Spice Market

After the simmering midday sun had passed and the day traders started to make their way for the night market stall owners, the crowds that were pouring into the great tent set up at the heart of the market for the show they had been promised. Tickets were first come, first serve, those who could not get one for the tent inside had to settle for the giant projected images displayed on walls and in local taverns of the event.

The Judges presiding over the event are :smug:Aramil Horineth, :devil:Kali Laughter and :banjo:Myria Underfoot.

After the Featherweight and Middleweight divisions had their matches it moved on to the Heavyweight division.

Match 1
Rohros Riptide of Clan Invincibles Vs Setzizhu of Clan Night Lotus
Round 1, 10 - 9 (53 - 48)
Round 2, DQ for Rohros Riptide
The match began with Rohros managing to secure an Armbar on Setzizhu but in the ensuing struggle seemed to have not secured his mouthguard properly as it fell out of his mouth. This caused him to play more cagey as a result but he still managed to secure the first round versus his Yuanti opponent via preventing her from being able to initiate her own submission holds, the score was 10-9 to Rohros.

However during the second round Setzizhu managed to get him into a Peruvian Necktie very early and from that point he could not get enough space away from Setzizhu to counterattack, until in a bid to try and free himself he went for a deliberate eye poke and after being warned by the Guide in the ring attempted so again. The Guide having seen this ended the match there with a disqualification for Rohros Riptide, much to the consternation of the Clan Invincibles manager.

Setzizhu wins over Rohros Riptide via Disqualification due to ignoring the Guide’s instructions after 3 minutes 39 seconds of the second round.
Rohros Riptide: Career -4, Experience +1.
Setzizhu: Experience +3.

Match 2
Anemone Alagath of Clan Gold Hammer Vs Caerskan Promphaxoc of Clan Invincibles
Round 1, TKO for Caerskan Promphaxoc (26 - 55)
From the moment the bell sounded it seemed that Caerskan had almost complete control of the entire match from second one, after a few tests from either side a trip from Caerskan allowed him to get Anemone on the floor and kept her there almost the entirety of the round as he worked through various holds to force her to tap. Until the guide cut the round short just near the end and announced the result.

Caerskan Promphaxoc wins over Anemone Alagath via Technical Submission due to a Slam after 4 minutes 49 seconds of the first round.
Anemone Alagath: -1 Career, +1 Experience
Caerskan Promphaxoc: +4 Experience

Match 3
Ahla of Clan King Cobra Vs Khel The Vulture of Clan Flame Tiger
Round 1 – 9 - 10 (41 - 45)
Round 2 – 9 - 9 (41 - 57) (-1 to Khel due to foul)
Round 3 – 10 - 9 (47 - 33)

Round of of the competition began with Khel not being able to get in an onto Ahla, until he decided to take a considerable risk and went for an Triangle Armbar that would have given the yuanti a clear shot at his unprotected jaw had she gone for it, however instead it gave Khel the edge he needed to clinch the first round, the judges scored 9 - 10 for Khel.

The second round began with Khel utterly dominating Ahla through most of the fight in points and strikes, but during a Slam attack he had deliberately attempted to Fish Hook Ahla to cause further injury, but this was spotted by the Guide who deducted a point. This led to him ending the second round with a score of 9-9 despite being ahead.

In the third round Ahla managed to finally start her own offensive in earnest to go on the offensive and pushed Khel into a corner. Her defensive work is patchy in places as she still ends up taking a lot of shots head on from the Hobgoblin, but in the end her efforts prove just enough to barely beat the Hobgoblin out in points. After some mild confusion and deliberation amongst the judges the result was announced.

Ahla and Khel The Vulture draw after Three Rounds
Ahla: +2 Experience
Khel The Vulture: +2 Experience

Match 4
Dhamor Scalesplitter of Clan Thunder Hawk Vs Lordorim Shambastik of Clan Night Lotus
Round 1 – 9 – 10 (29 – 35)
Round 2 – TKO for Dhamor
Round 1 was almost all in the claws of Lordorim Shambastik as his fast in and out jabs and hooks kept Dhamor out of his space for any grappling attempts yet too close for him to utilize any of his stronger Dance of Death kicks in the process, clinching the round handily for the Dragonborn, 9 - 10

The second round looked to be much of the same performance, however a single miscalculation from Lordorim allowed for Dhamor to sprawl him onto the floor with a hardy kick, that finally allowed the Orc in to initiate a clinch, with a Leg Lock leading into a North/South Choke before the Guide stopped the round and called it there and then.

Dhamor Scalesplitter wins over Lordorim Shambastik via Technical Submission due to an North/South Choke after 3 minutes 43 seconds in the second round
Dhamor Scalesplitter: +1 Career, +4 Experience
Lordorim Shambastik: -1 Career, +1 Experience

----

Week 2, North-East Gregale Qualifiers, Ghassen’s Fist

Under the foreboding presence of the massive military fortress of Ghassen’s Fist, crowds had assembled from in and around Copher for the next Qualifier in the Maelstrom Gauntlet. Inside the massive gates the mustering area that could contain the Golden Legions had been cleared for this event with bleachers, stands and the Ring being prepared for the bouts ahead.

It was a much needed distraction for the guardsmen posted there, standing guard over the sole passage to the Dark Lands was an important but dull job, entertainment was few and far between and this proved to be the most excitement the Fort had seen in a while.

The Judges presiding over this event are, :ninja:Vadania the Spry, :angel:Baramiel, and :shobon:Agatha Butler

Match 1
Shog Ribslicer of Clan Gold Hammer) Vs Bhuv Fangbreaker of Clan Invincibles)
Round 1 – 9 - 9 (21 – 26, -1 Point for Bhuv due to Foul)
Round 2 – 8 – 10 (27 – 36, -1 Point for Shog due to Foul)
Round 3 – 9-9 (57 – 68, -1 Point for Bhuv due to a Foul)

In a match that was rather controversial, Shog Ribslicer and Bhuv Fangbreaker went at each other for the whole three rounds of the match and during the entirety of it committed at least three point deduction fouls between the two of them. In round 1 Bhuv in the process of attaining a clinch on Shog used a Head-butt on him to get him to loosen up enough to get it, but it cost him the point in the round, 9 - 9 for both fighters.
In the second round Bhuv managed to get a NS Choke that allowed him to keep Shog from getting any offense started of his own and gave him a commanding position. Shog eventually manages to break himself free from Bhuv with an illegal eye poke, but again, this cost him a point that resulted in him losing the round more than he had, 8 - 10 for Bhuv Fangbreaker.

In the final round after most certainly some words of encouragement and chastising by their respective coaches, Shog and Bhuv rose from their corners and at the bell threw themselves at each other with wild abandon in what proved to be the most active and violent round of the Month so far, scoring more than double their previous two rounds of points combined in the process. Bhuv came out on the better end of the exchange, however in the heat of the moment Bhuv smashed his head into Shog’s face that led him to being deducted a point before the end of the round. In the end Bhuv still edged out Shog by 2 points at 26 - 28 by two out of three of the judges, but both the Gold Hammer and Invincible coaches were brought to see Poppy at the end of the match and she did not look happy.

Bhuv Fangbreaker wins over Shog Ribslicer via Split Decision in the third round/
Shog Ribslicer: +2 Experience Round of the Month
Bhuv Fangbreaker : +1 Career, +3 Experience Round of the Month

Match 2
Zog Wolfslammer (Dread Wyrm) Vs Civnis Thunderhead (Gold Hammer)
Round 1 – 9-10 (39 – 55)
Round 2 – 9-10 (27 – 45)
Round 3 – 8-9 (16 – 29)

From the outset it looked like Civnis was the much better fighter and throughout that match it seemed to show, Zog managed to get a good few shots in the first round but come the second round Civnis had him firmly on the backfoot for most of that five minutes. In the third round after a double foul from both sides deducted points, Civnis had him on the ropes by a minute three and it kept him there until the bell rang.

Civnis Thunderhead wins over Zog Wolfslammer via Unanimous Decision in the third round.
Zog Wolfslammer: -1 Career Strength, +1 Experience
Civnis Thunderhead: +3 Experience

--

Meanwhile in the armoury

“You know of all the places I expected we’d be given to get ready for this, I kinda thought we’d have more space” Grugtik grumbled. They had been taking the time to get Traubon ready for his debut match. As Skaugran ran him through the pre-fight warm up, Grugtik and Winston were pouring over the pre-league record of his opponent. It turned out to be a lot more difficult than they anticipated for the simple reason that he had vanished off the face of the earth with a shipwreck.

Combatant Identified posted:

Giggung Jointcrusher
Manager: Clan Flame Tiger
Heavyweight (Orc)
Grappling: Nightstalker/Eijixsjir
Record: 0-0-0, 0 DQ
Offense: 141
Defense: 130
Tenure: 0 years
Career Strength: 10
Signature: RNC (0)
Experience: 4 (4 available)
Biography: Giggung had spent the past ten or fifteen so years of his life shipwrecked on a lost island where he learned how to live off the land, wrestle animals with his bare hands and has now returned to civilization to compete in the House of Spirits. When asked if the experience made him feel closer to nature, he remarked it merely reminded him why most of mortal civilization was spent trying to get away from it.

Winston, who had been pouring over the Orc’s records as a sailor turned to Grugtik. “You know I’ve been rather curious, how does the league find out about these things?”
“Beats the hell out of me, I mean they got what they know about me because I told em but sometimes you get bios that say they had secret identities or dark pasts or some stuff. You know the kinds of things you wouldn’t wanna tell anyone if they asked just off hand, I mean, unless they were just straight bullshitting it to make themselves look better than they actually are.”
A knock came at the door, an authoritative voice shouted through it, “Traubon Steelfist, your match is scheduled in 10 minutes please report to the Red Corner entrance for pre-fight checks.”
Grugtik shoveled the stuff back into his bag and hefted it over his shoulder as Traubon and Skaugran got up off the floor. “Alright ramblers, let’s get to rambling. We’re gonna go make a good first impression.”

--

Match 3
Traubon Steelfist of Clan Teeny Kobolds Vs Giggung Jointcrusher of Clan Flame Tiger

As Traubon and Giggung went to their respective corners, Skaugran and Grugtik had a little huddle to themselves.
“Alright Skau what’s the plan here?”
“Well, I told him to do as he usually does.”
“Which is?”
“Don’t get grabbed, wait for the opponent to drop his guard and thump him one.” Skaugran said frankly.
Grugtik thought about this and shrugged. “Yeah that was what I would have suggested, play to strengths and all, here’s hoping we get a win going forward.”
With all eyes on the stage, and Poppy Merribuck present to the proceedings, she observed the fighters in the ring. She raised her hand, the attendant next to her slammed the ceremonial gong and the round commenced.

Both fighters immediately rushed forward and stopped, circling around back and forth to try and find an opening in, a few errant jabs and swings from either side as they tested each other’s defences but no direct contact.
”Good, good” thought Grugtik, ”Don’t get try and bum-rush a grappler it’s a good way to get caught.”

Suddenly, Giggung leapt forward, his leg extending to kick out at Traubon’s head. He blocked the attempt but the movement now got Giggung into his space. Traubon threw out a quick jab but it was caught and he was brought to the floor by Giggung, transitioning into an Americana. Traubon resisted for a few seconds before managing to shove him off as the Guide moved in to break it up.

The moment he rolled away he caught a jab across the face that staggered him a little, but he used the opportunity to pull the same trick Giggung had used on him, grabbing the arm and yanking him forward to put his own chokehold on the Orc. As the Orc and Dwarf tousled between each other Giggung managed to overhead toss the Dwarf with his superior height off of him. Traubon managed to land deftly on his feet but the fight had been reset as a result.

But Traubon had been waiting, he burst forward, left elbow extended, right arm held back aiming directly for Giggung’s mid section. Such an easily telegraphed attack as that was blocked handily by Giggung, a glancing blow that left a little cut on Traubon in the process. But in the process of doing that, his arms were no longer protecting his face

Traubon’s right arm shot out like a loaded cannon and slammed into the Orc’s face like the fist of an angry giant. His nose crumpled with the impact as he hit the deck with a thud. Traubon quickly advanced to start laying into him but was stopped by the Guide before he took a step forward.

The Guide takes a few moments to check the body, stands up and calls it there and then.

Round 1 - KO for Traubon (7 - 13)

Traubon Steelfist wins over Giggung Jointcrusher via Knockout due to a Straight to the Head, after 2 minutes 42 seconds in the first round.
Traubon Steelfist: +2 Career, +5 Experience Knockout of the Night!
Giggung Jointcrusher: -1 Career, +1 Experience.

In the Red Corner Grugtik turned to Skaugran and received the high-five Skaugran had offered. “Hell yeah! Exactly as planned we got this!”
“Yeah man, but let’s, hold off on our great victory celebration until we can get past round 1, yeah?”
“Yeah I get it, brewskis afterwards?”
“Heck yeah we’re brewskis afterwards.”

--

Match 4

Ulam (Black Sabor) Vs Payax Clipoc (Grizzly)
Round 1 – 9 – 10 (30 – 44)
Round 2 – TKO for Ulam due to Cut
Payax had firm control of the situation in round 1, but right at the start of round two he was caught in a throw by Ulam and flung against the cage. After Ulam attained an Americana on Payax it was found the earlier impact had opened a bad cut on his head and the match was called in Ulam’s favour, so that Payax could be quickly treated for his injury.

Ulam wins over Payax Clipoc via Technical Submission due to a Cut at 48 seconds in the second round.
Ulam: Career +1, Experience +4.
Payax Clipoc: Career -1, Experience +1.

----

Week 3, East Levante Qualifier, The Royal Amphitheatre

By many in Copher it is said that the Royal Amphitheatre was one of the world’s oldest stages for performances dating back to before even the founding of the city of Copher itself. Granted, a lot of other nations and cities make the claim that they have the oldest theatre or oldest stage in the world too, but the Royal Amphitheatre is most certainly in the top 3.
Today its stage holds the arena for the East Levante qualifier, with a raised platform to house the judges, orderlies and assistance both rush to prepare the stadium for the influx as the mats are placed over the stage and checked for to ensure they are fitted properly.

The Judges presiding over this event are, :niggly:Orryn Silverthread, :reject:Arnold Alder and :agesilaus:Leshanna Selevarun.

--

Whilst Skaugran was getting Ginsung ready for her bout, Winston and Grugtik had taken an aside and a spot on one of the grassy hill sites to watch the projected match of Gagnog versus Tokul.

“Alright so hit me up here, Tokul or Gagnog who’s your money on?” He asked, passing a water canteen to Winston.
“I’m not much of a betting goblin Grugtik, you know that.” He swigged from it, capped it and handed it back as he thought about this. “I’d say Tokul only because Jarghalaur seems like a very strange style to bring into a mixed martial arts setting.” He tapped the papers in his hand as he said this, Grugtik looked over.

Tokul Farjek
Manager: Clan King Cobra
Heavyweight (Dragonborn)
Striker: Sjir Darastrix/Earth-fighting
Workrate: Minimum
Offense: 145
Defense: 115
Signature: Flying Knee to Head (0)
Experience: 17 (17 available)
Biography: As a musclebound, scarred and overall scary looking red dragonborn fighter, Tokul for no fault of his own looks like a brute. But he is in fact a dedicated family man, a dutiful husband, a loving father and a pillar of his small community that has an ardent and supportive fanbase on his own street.

“Hmmm, but you may be surprised at how effective it can be, or if not surprised then you might enjoy the spectacle.”

--

Match 1
Gagnog The Oaf of Clan Dread Wyrm Vs Tokul Farjek of Clan King Cobra

From the word go, both fighters flew at each other with the intention to bludgeon each other senseless. A flurry of blows with no space left for defence, Gagnog’s limbs whipped, snaked and sliced out at his opponent striking him from odd angles and vulnerable directions, leaping, rolling, sliding around his opponent as he did. But Tokul would not be phased, for every strike that landed; he returned one to the sender, compared to the flowing and constant motion of the Hobgoblin; he was a rock, he moved very little except to strike and keep Gagnog in his field of vision at all times and to strike out with precision to fend off attacks and deal telling strikes.

After 4 minutes both fighters were starting to be worn down from the effort, Tokul saw an opening in the erratic defences of Gagnog and with one leg forced in to stop his motion he whipped around and smashed the back of his scaly claws across his jaw and sent him to the floor. Tokul had a chance to get on top of him and tried to lay some punches in, right before the bell rang. The judges scored that round 10 - 9 in Gagnog’s favour.

The second round began at a much slower pace with both fighters catching their breath back from the intense first five minutes. It looked as though apart from a few tests nothing much was happening, until suddenly Gagnog went straight for the kill and brought his elbow to Tokul’s temple around for the KO attempt. Tokul took the elbow head on and stumbled back, but righted himself just before Gagnog leapt forward for the follow up. He attempted to grapple onto the Dragonborn, but only managed to grasp hold of and pull hard on his horns instead, a foul whether it was by accident or not but it was unseen, and he received a hammer fist across his jaw for the troubles when he wouldn’t let go, before getting hit with a ducking uppercut that shot the mouthguard out of his mouth entirely. Gagnog wisely decided after a stern warning from the Guide to back off to better protect his jaw.

Tokul managed to get Gagnog in a Suplex attempt and slammed him to the mat, using the position to attempt the mount but Gagnog’s Jarghalaur training has a lot of techniques to fight from your back with. When he dropped onto the Hobgoblin, he received a heavy hook to the head aided by Tokul’s own weight that loosened up one of Gagnog’s arms, giving him just enough wiggle room to connect the Elbow Strike for the second time that match. Tokul soldiered past enough to throw down a few more strikes, but it allowed Gagnog to force his way off the floor and land two more clean shots - a hammerfist from above and an uppercut to his jaw - onto the Dragonborn, and one partially deflected second uppercut before the bell rang for the second time. Orryn and Leshanna both gave Gagnog 10 - 9 scores, but Arnold Alder dissented and gave his own score of 9 - 10 to Tokul.

With a spare mouthguard inserted for the final round, Gagnog once again tried to lead the offense, but Tokul was ready. He deflected the flicking chop that came out from Gagnog and let Gagnog take hold of his leg to bring him to the mat, but as he fell he brought up his other leg around with the momentum and delivered a hard kick right to the Hobgoblin’s flank. He threw out some stomps to try and wind Tokul enough for the full mount but the Dragonborn managed to force him off and gave just enough space to deliver one of his signature flying knees to the face. Gagnog stumbled back, it gave Tokul just enough run up for a second knee right behind him but Gagnog put his arms out in front to cushion the blow slightly before it landed fully.

Finding himself dangerously close to the edge of the cage Gagnog flicked out a quick hook whilst trying to guard himself from more knees, but didn’t account for Tokul grabbing the arm and pulling him down to meet his knee head first. After giving him a few licks of hard scaled knee against the cage he threw him back to the centre of the arena and chased after him. But Gagnog rolled as he landed and as he came up he suddenly whipped up and slammed his elbow into Tokul’s head for the third time this match. But this time Tokul was ready and as it came towards him he deliberately leaned into it to shorten it’s travel time whilst driving his own elbow into the Hobgoblin’s stomach. His scales slightly nicked the Hobgoblin across the midsection and drew blood whilst Gagnog’s follow up Lunging Hook got him stumble forward into Gagnog to pull him into a guard.

They struggled for dominance with Gagnog throwing uppercuts for all it was worth off his back, whilst Toruk managed to hoist him up and deliver to him one last knee to the head before the guard broke off. Both fighters retired to a safe distance, probing, circling, anything to make up a little more difference in points, but before someone could move, the third and final bell was sounded.

The results were announced one by one. 47 - 44 points, 10 - 9 from Orryn Silverthread, 46 - 44 points, 10 - 9 from Leshanna Selevarun, it was looking like it was going to be a unanimous decision for Gagnog. And then Arnold held up his score; 45 - 49, 9 - 10, Arnold Alder denied Gagnog’s clean sweep!

Round 1 – 10 – 9 (68 – 58)
Round 2 – 10 – 9 (44 – 38)
Round 3 – 10 – 9 (47 – 44)

Gagnog The Oaf wins over Tokul Farjek via Split Decision in the third round.
Gagnog The Oaf: Career +1, Experience +3 Fight of the Night!
Tokul Farkej: Experience +2 Fight of the Night!

But for the complaints between the judges at Arnold’s decision they could not deny that it was the best fight of the night so far, it would need some spectacular showings from the last three matches to top it after that performance!

--

Match 2
Roc The Aged of Clan Thunder Hawk Vs Darcy Landown of Clan Dread Wyrm
Round 1 – 9 – 10 (36 – 41)
Round 2 – TKO for Roc the Aged via Cut
Darcy managed to get a tight lead over Roc in the first round, however during the second round he went to ground in the first few seconds in a way that allowed Roc to take control. In the end when Darcy managed to give himself a bad cut when he attempted a Foul against Roc The Aged and the guide called it there and then.

Roc The Aged wins over Darcy Landown via Technical Submission due to a Cut after 3 minutes 21 seconds of the second round
Roc The Aged: Career +1, Experience +4.
Darcy Landown: Career -1, Experience +1.

--

Returning to the Grove, Grugtik and Skaugran confirmed the ‘game plan’ with Ginsung a few minutes before her first match.

“Alright Ms. Duskmoon, first fight in the league, how are you feeling? Nervous, excited?”
Ginsung nodded, and gave one sort of sideways thumb and one thumbs up. That was one thing they’d found about her was that she didn’t like to talk much.
“More excited than nervous, good to know. Clear on the rules? Especially about the no eye gouging, fish hooking, or low blows side of thing?”
She gave an ‘okay’ symbol, and nodded assuredly.
“Sound. Then are you ready to kick several kinds of arse?”
For this, she pounded a fist into her palm.
Noice. Well actions speak louder than words as they say, so let’s mosey.”

As they made their way to the arena, Winston shuffled on over and showed Grugtik the details of the fighter they were up against.

Francine Ang
Manager: Clan Flame Tiger
Heavyweight (Human)
Grappling: Nightstalker/Lyssae
Defense: 80
Signature: Cage Push (0)
Experience: 22 (22 available)
Biography: Francine got where she was today because she had a habit of writing down what happened in every single match she took part in. Every loss, every win, every draw, she made notes, cross referenced previous similar match ups and resolved to learn from her mistakes and avoid the same traps. It has certainly worked thus far.

--

Match 3
Ginsung Duskmoon of Clan Teeny Kobolds Vs Francine Ang of Clan Flame Tiger

As the crowd filtered back in from their break and the judges returned to their seat Grugtik got the impression that they were a little bit restless at this point. After all they had gone from, the best match of the month so far to, a fairly mediocre affair that was cut short due to an injury.

“Don’t be concerned with whether we can follow that match up my guy.” Skaugran chipped in, seeing the expression on Grugtik’s face. “Just focus on the whole winning thing, we can aim for style points when we make it to the finals right?”
When You’re that confident?” Queried Grugtik, tilting his head a little.
“I mean, If I don’t have confidence in the guys and gals you put under my care, I’d be a bad coach right? Anyway, eyes up, they’re entering the ring.”

Grugtik however couldn’t help but feel a little nervous though. After all whilst Ginsung had experience fighting in her clan’s set of rules against others of her exact same style, she’d never once set foot in another arena like this. Her opponent had however, very frequently as a matter of fact, she’d almost certainly thought the kinds of erratic freewheeling opponents from the Jarghalaur and Dance of Death fighters.

The bell sounded and the match began with Francine immediately barrelling Ginsung to the floor in the Kimura attempt. Ginsung struggled against it, but her training made her extremely flexible, rearing her leg to knee Francine across the jaw and get her to drop the clutch; and when she tried to force her back down to the ground by sweeping out her legs as she rose she got another hooking kick across the cheek for her trouble before she abandoned the clinch. Rolling off the floor and back onto her feet, Ginsung got back into her natural rhythm but didn't seem to try and press the attack. ’Come on, hit her!’ Growled Grugtik from under his breath, maybe a little more audibly than he liked because he got a disapproving glance from Skaugran.

She tried out for the armbar as she suddenly wheeled forward but Francine fended it off, before kicking her straight in the gut to halt her movement and bearing down on top of her to force her to the floor, pushing down with all her body weight and executing an americana to prevent her from too much movement. Ginsung however had practiced how to escape these with the others, she wiggled her self under Francine until he core was just past the human’s and then levering with her legs, pushed herself off the floor a little before throwing Francine off of her and onto the map with a thump. She had freed herself for a moment but when she got to her feet Francine was back, sweeping her off her feet and onto the floor once again. This time she tried an armbar, closed guard, right on top of Ginsung so she couldn’t leverage her flexibility. Ginsung was able to force her way out throwing her weight to one side to roll on top of Francine, but as she tried to move up Francine swept her leg around in front of her throat and attempted to choke her out with the gogoplata, reacting just in time by grabbing the foot that attempted it. With a few more seconds before the round end, Ginsung went for the Tap, with the foot in hand she moved her way crosswise over the human and tried throwing fists in her head for all it was worth, the classic salaverry, but as her opponent took those shots the bell rang out and both fighters returned to their corners. 9 - 10 to Francine Ang from across the judges.

Grugtik had hoped up his side of the corner when Ginsung returned to it. “What was that?” He probed, with all the hand-waving gestures of mild disbelief that accompanied it. “You can’t win a match if you don’t push the offensive.”
Ginsung rather calmly, took out her mouthguard, turned to Grugtik and replied “Rhythm.” It was a rather plain statement but, from someone who didn’t talk often it attracted notice.
“Huh?”
“When you dance, you dance to the rhythm of the other, or you step on the feet.” She stretched her arms a little and cleaned the spit off her mouthguard. “Now I grasp, I will go and win. Watch.” She put the mouthguard back in and returned to the ring for round two.

Ginsung bounced on her feet a little waiting for the gong, Francine returned to her position, the plan she had got her this far, she didn’t see any reason to change it now. The gong sounded, Francine rushed forward low to the ground to get that first grab and position control again. And suddenly lept back as a foot, stomped down right in front of her own and attempted to sweep her right off her feet. Francine stumbled, but Ginsung was right there sliding under her, bowling her off her feet and into Ginsung’s arms. Ginsung initiated the Kimura, Francine dug herself into the mossy mat beneath her and pulled herself out, and seeing the position when they both got to their feet grasped the Orc and started to shove her bodily towards the cage. Yet right as they got close to it Ginsung threw her legs up and used the cage wall for leverage to push Francine to the ground and get the second Salaverry as they fell.

With more time to work Ginsung threw fists at anywhere she could reach, when Francine tried to wiggle her way out, Ginsung switched positions and kept herself on top, when Francine tried to move her legs in for a triangle armbar, Ginsung’s flexibility allowed her to slip in and get her own. Two simultaneous triangle armbars would not hold and the Guide broke them up, but Francine couldn’t find her footing before Ginsung was right there yet again. Sweeping her off her feet and onto the floor, grabbing her leg and subjecting the human to a hard kneebar she was gaining back that ground. Francine could work her way out of it, she could still keep the match going, but every time she got up Ginsung brought her down again and when she got out of that clinch she took a full on kick to the jaw that sent her stumbling. She tried to stand, and couldn’t. She tried to get up and full forward hands. Ginsung kept her distance and right there and then looking between her and her opponent, the Guide called it.

Round 1 - 9 - 10 (27 - 43)
Round 2 - TKO for Ginsung Duskmoon (34 - 12)

Ginsung Duskmoon wins over Francine Ang via Technical Knockout due to Strikes after 3 minutes and 43 seconds in the second round.
Ginsung Duskmoon: +1 Career, +4 Experience
Francine Ang: -1 Career, +1 Experience

Grugtik couldn’t believe what she just saw happened, from being almost manhandled in the first half to just utterly dominating her opponent in the second. Skaugran could though, he leaned in and consoled him. “Have a little faith in your talent, they might just surprise you when you trust them."

--

Match 4
Bamon Beastcleaver of Clan Grizzly Vs Dhojud Bonedagger of Clan Invincibles
Round 1 – 9 – 10 (30 – 45)
Round 2 – 9 – 10 (26 – 41)
Round 3 – 9 – 10 (21 – 29)
If there was one thing that could be said about this mostly tepid match, it was that Bamon could not get in on Dhojud for most of the fight no matter what he did. He even resorted to some very risky moves to try and get in that could have ended the fight for him there and then had Dhojud countered. He did manage to partially close that gap in the third round but by then it’s too little too late.

Dhojud Bonedagger wins over Bamon Beastcleaver via Unanimous Decision in the third round.
Bamon Beastcleaver: -1 Career Strength, +2 Experience
Dhojud Bonedagger: +3 Experience

----

Week 4, South-East Sirocco Qualifier, The Undercity Pitstop

Out of the evening heat and in the cool confined of the City Within The City, the Undercity Pitstop had found itself with more pedestrians then it had seen in nearly 10 years. They had been spending the past few months in particular making areas of the Undercity a little more ‘surface dweller friendly’, bigger doors, higher ceilings more plentiful light sources, and in the Pitstop’s main bar some lighter ales that wouldn’t leave some of the more delicate drinkers catatonic after a few pints.

They had tried to keep the solid stone floor where the ring had been set up for traditions sake, but the polite but firm insistence of Poppy Merribuck to avoid any cracked skulls had won out and a few layers of tatami mats had been laid out across the floor. The carved stone stands had stayed however, the Gnome Tailors were making a killing selling seat cushions around the arena after all.

The Judges presiding over this event are, :eng101:Glimmert Ungart, :wooper:Caspian, and :zombie:Quarethon of Pyraxtallinost.

Match 1
Ulfgar Durthane of Clan Gold Hammer Vs Iaus Trust of Clan King Cobra
Round 1 – TKO for Ulfgar Durthane (54 – 16)
Some notes had been made about the match but, it was clear that Ulfgar had firm control over the entire match from the word go, Iaus Trust managed three actual attacks that landed against the Hill Dwarf and spent the rest of the time taking shots full on before the Guide called it.

Ulfgar Durthane wins over Iaus Trust via Technical Knockout due to strikes after 4 minutes 26 seconds in the first round.
Ulfgar Durthane: +1 Career, +4 Experience
Iaus Trust: +1 Experience

Match 2
Zorbroth Timtar of Clan Black Sabor Vs Orolon The Razor of Clan Night Lotus
Round 1: DQ for Orolon The Razor (7 - 9)
A very match short match that has nonetheless caused a bit of a stir, Zorbroth around one minute thirty seconds into the match was wide open for an attack, but the Guide motioned to stop moments before Orolon took a swing and immediately disqualified the Hobgoblin for ignoring the Guide’s instructions, to the outcry of Orolon and the Night Lotus Clan Manager. There was a bit of an uproar from the fans for that decision that delayed the start of the next match for a few minutes

Zorbroth Timtar wins over Orolon The Razor via Disqualification due to Ignoring the Guide’s Instructions after 1 minutes and 50 seconds in the first round.
Zorbroth Timtar:: Experience +3
Orolon The Razor: Career -4, Experience +1.

--

Meanwhile

Over by the bar whilst they waited for that big scene to quieten down, Winston was sharing a drink with Skaugran as they looked at the bracket in front of them. “I understand that Grugtik wanted us to make some observations about Vendon and Klod for him for possible recruitment later, but why did he not want to come himself?”
“He said he had some matters to take care of, but, I would reckon more that he didn’t wanna bump into Wobbles here or something.”
“Really? He dislikes him that much?”
Skaugran looked at the stone ceiling for a few moments, carefully considering how he wanted to phrase the sentence in his head before saying. “I don’t think it’s all the way anger at, Wobbles, though it’s totes there. I think it’s more that he reminds him of that whole, scandal that happened.”
Winston had hung around Grugtik enough to know exactly what the ’scandal’ was, he decided not to pry more at that “He feels guilty about it?”
“Well he ain’t exactly proud of it. Never met someone who was proud of being caught cheating.” He downed the last dregs of his drink, passed it over to the bar man and notioned for Winston to follow.
“Now let’s see what we’re working with.” He said, pulling out some documents.

Archibold Fischer
Manager: Clan Night Lotus
Heavyweight (Human)
Grappling: Nightstalker/Eijixsjir
Offense: 144
Defense: 135
Signature: Omoplata (0)
Biography: Archibold Fischer cut his teeth on the rough and tumble Fisherman's Guild pugilism circuit, which has a few less rules and reservations about fighting dirty than the House does. He has of course promised very faithfully that he will not engage in any skullduggery, tomfoolery, shenanigans or foul play whilst he fights under the House's banner.
“Well he’s certainly got the stomach for it, he’s just a little behind Vendon in the defense department. We already have Vendon’s file so it will be interesting to see how this shakes out.”

--

Match 3
Archibold Fischer (Night Lotus) Vs Vendon The Giant (Dread Wyrm)

At the sound of the Gong, the match commenced with Archibold attacking first, and Vendon moving very calmly and purposely, blocking his strikes and deflecting his grapples, until very suddenly he lashed out and slammed Archibold across the temple with the tip of his elbow. Archibold stumbled back and hit the deck as Vendon got the clinch in.
He managed to get a hold of Vendon’s leg and attempted to bring him to the ground with it as Vendon got a hold of the necktie. It looked like then and there that it was going to be broken up by the guide in a few moments as neither side could progress their hold.

Then, Vendon stood up exposing his midsection to Archibold. He saw his chance; he balled up his fist and threw a punch. But Vendon tensed up the second the punch came out, he slammed into his abs and suddenly there was an audible Crrk.
Skaugran who was in the position had a few of Archibold’s face as it moved quickly from annoyed frustration to momentary confusion and then extreme pain as he hit the deck, clutching at his hand and swearing most profusely.
Winston leaned in. “Did… he just break his hand hitting Vendon?”
A moment of confusion amongst in the ring was cleared when the Guide waved it to the Judges and beckoned for the on call Clerics to come into the ring.
“Oh wow.” Skaugran concurred. “He actually did.”

Round 1 – TKO for Vendon The Giant (6 – 8)

Vendon The Giant wins over Archibold Fischer via Technical Knockout due to a ‘Cut’ after 1 minute 51 seconds of the first round.
Archibold Fischer: Career -1, Experience +1.
Vendon The Giant: Career +1, Experience +4.

--

“Well that just happened.” Skaugran reached back into his bag and pulled out two more bundles. He handed one to Winston. “Take at this one for a moment.”

Klod The Rock
Manager: Clan Grizzly
Heavyweight (Hobgoblin)
Grappling: Mageslayer/Barak-rin
Defense: 95
Signature: Kneebar (0)
Experience: 26 (26 available)
Biography: Klod The Rock insists his name comes from being harder than a rock and tough to break. His trainer said it was more because he was a hard headed moron who despite his natural talent was slow to learn anything. The truth is very likely somewhere in the middle of these two statements.

“Idiot but talented, cool.” Said Skaugran, making some chicken scratch notes in a piece of paper. “What about his opponent?”
“Well, he’s a Rogue. Or used to be.”

Arkog The Shrewd
Manager: Clan Night Lotus
Heavyweight (Hobgoblin)
Striker: Eijixsjir/Ground-dancing
Defense: 100
Signature: Haymaker to Head (0)
Experience: 17 (17 available)
Biography: Arkog was a rogue who couldn't cut it in the adventuring business. It wasn't so much that he was a bad rogue, more that when you are nearly six and a half feet tall and built to match it is very difficult to be 'stealthy'. And when you found that just knocking the guards out with a swing was easier than trying to sneak past them it rather defeats the point of stealth in the first place.
“I’ve noticed that Clan Night Lotus seems to have type in places, have you?” Winston said looking at Skaugran.
“Well let’s find out, the next match should be starting soon. Perhaps it will be a closely matched battle of brains versus brawn.”

--

Match 4
Klod The Rock of Clan Grizzly Vs Arkog The Shrewd of Clan Night Lotus

It wasn’t.

Moment one as the Gong was sounded it looked like a normal match for the most part, Klod managed to get a grapple onto Arkog and threw him to the floor, Arkog fought his way out of it and managed to get his own triangle armbar on Klod whilst they were grappling together on the floor.

Then for just a moment after the Guide had broken them up and they’d begun testing again, Klod dropped his guard for just a moment and received a fist to the gut for his trouble and blew the wind out of him. And then Arkog, for want of a better term, started to beat seven kinds of crap out of him; he did not let up on Klod for a moment between the back fists across his temple and the lunging hooks to his sides and body.
Klod managed to catch the hook as it hit his gut to try and make some grapples happen but all that it did was let Arkog from a position over the Hobgoblin to start hammer uppercuts into his face and body like he was trying to get money from him.

In the end after one final strike left him sprawled and gasping on the floor the Guide broke it up and looked to the judges for confirmation. It was a very fast decision.

Round 1 - TKO for Arkog The Shrewd (14 - 47)

Arkog The Shrewd wins over Klod The Rock via Technical Knockout due to Strikes after 2 minutes and 40 seconds of the first round.
Klod The Rock: +1 Experience
Arkog The Shrewd: +1 Career, +4 Experience

(1/2) (Yeah it was extremely lengthy apologies)

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

(2/2)

Week 5, South Ostro Qualifier, Zaid Botanical Gardens

The sun glinted through the great glass dome of the Botanical Gardens as slowly but surely the flowers of the mid afternoon began to close as the evening and night blooms began to open. In this normally quiet and serene garden, was the raucous activity of impending combat and spectacle.

Amongst the usual staff of the House’s Guides and the Guardsmen to keep the peace were a small but important contingent of druids on the staff. They were members of the Circle of Zaid, whose sole responsibility was the careful tending of these gardens and the rare species that occupy them. They were at this current time carefully weaving a cage of vines and moss from the surrounding landscape over a natural mat of mossy ground. It was a sort of compromise, as the House had insisted on mats but unlike the owners of the Pitstop, the Circle would not budge on allowing mats to cover the ground and prevent sunlight from reaching plantlife on the ground, and the moss was comparably softer when compared to the traditional tatami mats.

The Judges presiding over this event are, :clint:Tobera Lutgher, :jebstare:Shulali, and :orks101:Throkk

Match 1
Gad Sorrowslayer of Clan Flame Tiger Vs Mall Deathspear of Clan Gold Hammer
Round 1 – 8-9 (-1 Point each due to fouls) 60 - 62
Round 1 – TO for Mall Deathspear (13 - 14)
The two Orcs went at each other all out with barely any defence attempts, so much so that they threw in a couple of cheap shots in the heat of the moment in the first round, with the momentum slightly in favour of Mall.
The Match was brought to an end in the second round, where Gad Sorrowslayer attempted a flying knee which connected, but Mall used the momentum and the helpfully provided leg to execute a textbook Flying Pull Guard into an Ankle Lock, which forced Gad to tap after a few seconds of wrenching.

Mall Deathspear wins over Gad Sorrowslayer via Submission due to Flying Guard Pull at 1 minute and 48 seconds in the second round.
Gad Sorrowslayer: -1 Career Strength, +1 Experience
Mall Deathspear: +2 Career Strength, +5 Experience Submission of the Night!

Match 2
Muhzall Coldgouger of Clan Grizzly Vs Yawyn Alroth of Clan Flame Tiger
Round 1 – 9-10 (39 – 44)
Round 2 – 8-9 (37 – 53, -1 point each due to fouls)
Round 3 – 9-9 (30-33, -1 point to Yawn to due to a foul)
For most of the fight both of the fighters were neck and neck with Yawyn pulling ahead in the scraps in a lot of the instances. However the performance of the fighters found itself heavily marred by the seemingly large amount of fouling that went during the matches, particularly in the 2nd and 3rd rounds committed by Yawyn Alroth. It was these fouls that caused the Judges to give their final results as a Split Decision rather than a unanimous victory.

Yawyn Alroth wins over Muhzall Coldgouger via Split Decision after Three Rounds.
Muhzall Coldgouger: +1 Experience
Yawyn Alroth: +3 Experience

Match 3
Glardan The Bold of Clan Night Lotus Vs Paggam of Clan Gold Hammer
Round 1 – 9-10 (35 – 50)
Round 2 – TKO for Glardan The Bold (53 - 32)
In the first round the fighter’s went at each other, but Paggam’s Arm Triangle at the start of the match managed to open a cut in Glardan, which he very ruthlessly targeted for the rest of the round, allowing him multiple shots in the process.However once the cut was treated between rounds, Glardan came back with a vengeance, forcing Paggam on the back foot and ultimately clinching his victory in the last few seconds of the round.

Glardan The Bold wins over Paggam via Technical Knockout due to strikes at 4 minutes and 53 seconds in the second round.
Glardan The Bold: +1 Career, +4 Experience
Paggam: +1 Experience

Match 4
Sitlenen Silt of Clan Thunder Hawk Vs Wides de Montfault (Gold Hammer)
Round 1 – 9 – 10 (29 – 41)
Round 2 – DQ victory for Wides (25 – 49)
The first round had a lot of big swings from both sides that ultimately didn’t hit anything, but the fact that Wides hit Sitlenen more than he missed allowed him to win that round as a result, but it went especially wrong for Sitlenen in the second round. It was much the same with Wides having most of the control over the fight, but in the closing minute of the second half Sitlenen’s attempts to free themselves from a Triangle Choke with an illegal headbutt maneuver caught the attention of the Guide, and after being cautioned proceeded to do it again, resulting in his disqualification.

Wides de Montfault wins over Sitlenen Silt via Disqualification due to ignoring the Guide’s instructions at 4 minutes 19 seconds in the second round.
Sitlenen Silt: Career -4, Experience +1.
Wides de Montfault: Experience +3.

----

WEEK 1, MONTH 2 - YEAR 1220

Clan Teeny Kobolds
Rostered Fighters:

1) Ginsung Duskmoon (Orc) | Grappler: Earth-fighting / Dance of Death | Condition: Healthy | Morale: Great | Status: In Tournament
2) Mardor Danxic (Dragonborn) | Grappler: Mer-wrestling / Paura | Condition: Healthy | Morale: Good | Status: In Tournament
3) Oshyn Kingfisher (Triton) | Grappler: Earth-fighting / Aehamar | Condition: Healthy | Morale: Good | Status: In Tournament
4) Traubon Steelfist (Hill Dwarf) | Striker: Tss'Ulatasss / Mageslayer | Condition: Healthy | Morale: Great | Status: In Tournament

--

Events Phase: Zero Tolerance

At the beginning of the week, Master of the House Poppy Merribuck made a public letter longside private letters sent out to the varying Clan Masters in the league.

“As we reach near the end of the first round, and the beginning of the second round I wish to thank all those involved for their displays of martial prowess, the Guides who worked in the arena, the spectators who came to watch the fights, the owners of the various venues that allowed us to host this tournament and most of all the Clans and their fighters for providing the show.”

“However, there is a rather pressing matter that needs to be addressed.”

“Though most of the matches carried out the past month were clean and honourable fares borne solely on skill alone, there was a frankly unacceptable number of matches in which the rules were blatantly disregarded and actively broken through the course of the month, we have recorded at least, 3 disqualifications and 10 deductions from illegal moves in the span of 20 matches. I will not tolerate any further flagrant disregard of the rules from this point onward.”

“Furthermore, I will remind the various clan managers, coaches, trainers and the fighters themselves that ignorance of the rules is not an excuse for breaking them, and that the House will not tolerate cowboys and mavericks who assume that they don’t apply to themselves. If you are not aware of the rules, read them for yourself or ask for them to be explained to you, we will be enforcing harsher punishments from this month forward.”

“As related to this message, I have decided that the winner of the draw match between Ahla and Khel The Vulture shall be Ahla of Clan King Cobra. May this be a lesson that there will be no easy victories from cheap shots under my roof.”

“That is all”

--

:siren:Vote Now!:siren:

Roster Phase

1) Ginsung Duskmoon (Orc) | XP: 13, Primary Offence Cost: 3, Secondary Offence Cost: 6
2) Mardor Danxic (Dragonborn) | XP: 14, Primary Offence Cost: 3, Secondary Offence Cost: 6
3) Oshyn Kingfisher (Triton) | XP: 10, Primary Offence Cost: 3, Secondary Offence Cost: 6
4) Traubon Steelfist (Hill Dwarf) | XP: 7, Primary Offence Cost: 3, Secondary Offence Cost: 6

>Spend Experience Or Let Skaugran Handle It.

--

Staff Phase
Funds: 9z

We have money now? posted:

The House will give payouts to clan equal to the experience of the fights any clan members take part in, bigger fights will give bigger payouts, a more famous clan has the position to negotiate for bigger purses but as of now you are dealing with almost entirely rookie fighters so there will not be a lot of money.

>Purchase: Spend funds to buy stuff. (This is a bit of a placeholder but I will leave one option here)

-Buy The Villa (100z) - Right now though you operate out of Emir Farad's villa, it is still very much his villa, you cannot make any expansions to the number of fighters or other facilities until you buy it from him outright.

>Observe: Choose two fights to watch, you will identify the fighters participating

West Ponente Qualifiers, Round 1
-Ile of Clan Thunder Hawk vs Zhuzod Pridesaber of Clan Flame Tiger
-Weaken of Clan Thunder Hawk vs Van The Impaler of Clan Grizzly

(These fights have two votes each you can suggest different fights if you so wish. I will reiterate there will only be these two extra fights because this took a helluva lot of writing)

Documentation
Current Cards and Tournaments (Updated!)
Current League Fighters (Updated!)
Detailed Teeny Kobolds Fighters (Updated!)
Lore Index

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 18, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

In think we should hold off on experience purchases for now so we can shore up our fighters based on later matches for extra flexibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Hold off on experience