Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Goddamn I love Shia Labeouf. I hope he gets remembered for the genius he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

BonoMan posted:

Goddamn I love Shia Labeouf. I hope he gets remembered for the genius he is

One of those people who is also both undeniably, impressively dedicated to his craft, and also seemingly one of the most insufferable jackasses I hope to never interact with

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, I can get behind an artist if they want to do a big crazy dumb move like that for no reason. Like, power to you I guess, that's a (somewhat) respectable commitment to your craft. But it seems suuuper dumb and disrespectful to get a massive cholo tattoo if that isn't your actual background.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

feedmyleg posted:

New Seth Rogen movie about a guy that was brined in pickles for 100 years and woke up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBC0pTh6GDM

Looks fun, but leans on the drama more than I was expecting/hoping. Reminds me of the 50/50 film's tone.

Well, this looks certainly better than I expected from the description.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Accretionist posted:

Well, this looks certainly better than I expected from the description.

Eh, looks about as bad as I expected. Which is pretty bad.

Except the Jonas Salk joke. That one landed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

Also 50/50 was amazing.

Then again, the Disaster Artist was not amazing.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Halloween Kills has been pushed back a year but we get a little teaser.

https://twitter.com/TheHorrorMaster/status/1280909962810585089

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

One of those people who is also both undeniably, impressively dedicated to his craft, and also seemingly one of the most insufferable jackasses I hope to never interact with

A friend of mine interacted with him when he was doing that live video protest thing in Queens. Says he was a nice but quiet guy. Shy. Which is pretty lol.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

clown shoes posted:

Halloween Kills has been pushed back a year but we get a little teaser.

https://twitter.com/TheHorrorMaster/status/1280909962810585089

Does the world really need an IMAX release of a fuckin Blumhouse movie?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Does the world really need an IMAX release of a Halloween movie that involves John Carpenter?

Yes. Very yes.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Dillbag posted:

By the time movie theaters reopen, you'll take anything.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vagabundo posted:

Does the world really need an IMAX release of a Halloween movie that involves John Carpenter?

Yes. Very yes.

Yeah Halloween in a proper imax sounds great fun.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

clown shoes posted:

By the time movie theaters reopen, you'll take anything.

But they are open again. In New Zealand. And showing stuff ranging from Jojo Rabbit to Disney/Pixar films to O Brother Where Art Thou? and Blood Simple. :smug:

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 9, 2020

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love me some John Carpenter, just check the av. I just don't know if I need to see a claustrophobic serial killer chase film on a two story screen.

I mostly have issues with Blumhouse and the way he treats and pays his crews. If you're shooting a movie that's pegged to make a big theatrical return and have a fuckin IMAX release you can shoot union and pay your crew properly.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

We do need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OlUgXN-T84

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dillbag posted:

I love me some John Carpenter, just check the av. I just don't know if I need to see a claustrophobic serial killer chase film on a two story screen.

I mostly have issues with Blumhouse and the way he treats and pays his crews. If you're shooting a movie that's pegged to make a big theatrical return and have a fuckin IMAX release you can shoot union and pay your crew properly.

I don’t think anyone’s making big off a 2-5 million movie.

But if it makes cool genre that most people outside A24 aren’t making....game

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Sorry, I don't mean to derail this into an anti-Blumhouse rant. I don't have any qualms with the quality of their pictures and I'm all for good stories from smaller studios that can compete with the juggernaut tentpole superhero dreck out there. I can only speak for the comments I've received from experienced post-production crews that a lot of people don't want to work for them because of the pay vs. how they're overworked (frequently non-union, not paid for overtime, compressed schedules, etc).

A lot of Blumhouse movies are making 10-20x their budgets back at the boxoffice, which is a huge profit in the industry. With those kinds of returns they can afford to spend a bit of extra money on workers' salaries and more reasonable schedules, but they don't.

source

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Dillbag posted:

I think you’d want the score in IMAX surround sound, though

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm not sure I 100% understand the premise of She Dies Tomorrow but the trailer is strangely riveting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcMFjCPkP3M

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm not sure I 100% understand the premise of She Dies Tomorrow but the trailer is strangely riveting.

I like this!

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Gotta admire NEON's commitment to its neon aesthetic.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

flashy_mcflash posted:

I’ve heard good things about this and the director (Amy Seimetz) has been in some fun movies and directed for some TV shows.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’ve heard good things about this and the director (Amy Seimetz) has been in some fun movies and directed for some TV shows.

She's awesome, really can't wait to see what she did with full creative control (writing and directing) on this.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

flashy_mcflash posted:

That looks really good!

Also, I keep forgetting what that classical piece is called. Help?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Carthag Tuek posted:

That looks really good!

Also, I keep forgetting what that classical piece is called. Help?

"Lacrimosa" by Mozart.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So is just every character a former guest star from somebody else's HBO vehicle

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mierenneuker posted:

"Lacrimosa" by Mozart.

Ta! :)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mierenneuker posted:

"Lacrimosa" by Mozart.

Sure, beat me to the punch naming, like, the ONE piece of classical music I can actually name.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

thrawn527 posted:

Sure, beat me to the punch naming, like, the ONE piece of classical music I can actually name.

Pretty sure you can also name the piece in that very first trailer for Godzilla: King of Monsters :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVDtmouV9kM&t=81s

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Just because Ocean's 11 is a classic doesn't make its theme song classical music.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

Pretty sure you can also name the piece in that very first trailer for Godzilla: King of Monsters :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVDtmouV9kM&t=81s

God drat shame the movie couldn't live up to the trailer.

GrandpaPants posted:

Just because Ocean's 11 is a classic doesn't make its theme song classical music.

:negative:

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Proteus Jones posted:

God drat shame the movie couldn't live up to the trailer.

Man after how well Skull Island hit its tone and how great some of these shots are I was so sure this was going to be a slam dunk, a departure from the nothingness that was the 2014 'Zilla and a great build to the eventual showdown with Kong.

Holy cow was I wrong. Haven't been burned by a trailer that hard since... Pirates of the Caribbean 3 I think

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Ibexaz posted:

Man after how well Skull Island hit its tone and how great some of these shots are I was so sure this was going to be a slam dunk, a departure from the nothingness that was the 2014 'Zilla and a great build to the eventual showdown with Kong.

Holy cow was I wrong. Haven't been burned by a trailer that hard since... Pirates of the Caribbean 3 I think

That movie was strange. I quite enjoyed all the Monster scenes, but every single scene with human actors was written so bad I felt almost insulted.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kanonvandekempen posted:

That movie was strange. I quite enjoyed all the Monster scenes, but every single scene with human actors was written so bad I felt almost insulted.

Yeah, some of the scenes were visually stunning, but they were let down by the movie's... everything.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

kanonvandekempen posted:

Yeah, turning what did be a worldwide catastrophic event into some dumb Kyle Chandler family drama was a colossal misstep. Nothing about the human storyline worked, even with pretty good actors involved. Someone should release a cut where it's just the monster stuff.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah, turning what did be a worldwide catastrophic event into some dumb Kyle Chandler family drama was a colossal misstep. Nothing about the human storyline worked, even with pretty good actors involved. Someone should release a cut where it's just the monster stuff.
I feel like that is what makes it the most Toho of the American adaptations - a random family who is coincidentally at the center of every kaiju attack. i think there are multiple Godzilla movies where "random Dad" pitches the correct plan to scientists and they go along with it. All we're missing is the plucky reporter. :D

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

People kept complaining that the angry dad died too early in the 2014 movie, so this time you get Kyle Chandler screaming for two hours. Be careful what you wish for and all that.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I haven’t seen Godzilla 2, but I do feel obliged to point out that while I love Bryan Cranston, I find Kyle Chandler is about as interesting as drywall. Like, he’s entirely capable, just interchangeable with any other bland middle aged white guy actor out there. And that’s not even because of Breaking Bad, I wanted him to go full Hal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Godzilla 14's humans were boring and bland to the core. KOTM's humans were better conceived but more poorly executed. G14 is clearly a better film, but KOTM taps into why I like monster movies more—that it gets super weird with the lore and just goes nuts with its scale of destruction and sci-fi concepts. It's more a guilty pleasure than '14, but both films have their merits. Neither of them are necessarily "good" in the traditional sense, but that's also true of about 95% of Godzilla movies.

Godzilla movies are kind of like Star Trek shows/movies: the new one is always the worst one until it's later accepted for its merits. The detractors aren't necessarily wrong, they're just less willing to accept the good with the bad until something new comes along to hate on and gives it some contrast.