Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DGNZnfKYnU

goatsestretchgoals has issued a correction as of 05:59 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The answer is have an adblocker with filter lists that eliminate the false grails.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Platystemon posted:

The answer is have an adblocker with filter lists that eliminate the false grails.

Only after you've spent at least eight months rigorously training in a vm to spot the actual link, otherwise you're weak and when all the adblockers one day fail- and they will- you will be eaten alive by the perfidious cossack.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Uber waltzed right in to australia because the cab 'app' was literally a webkit that opened the cab co. URL/contact with a list of phone numbers.

and yeah you book an uber it shows up 99% of the time. so many times i missed flights because the cabbie didnt like the fare he was going to get from my house (before uber existed)

there was a pretty strong cab monopoly in my state too which didnt help, so being able to book a guy that shows up, isnt a smelly rear end hole who mumbles into his phone the entire ride and has a nice model car and a free bottle of water or gum/mints (that was also initially cheaper than cabs) meant it got adopted super fast.

also cabbies would be at the cab rank lined up and wouldnt unlock the door until they asked where you were going, and would often tell you to get out if they didnt want to go where you were going - either because the fare wasnt worth it or the travel time would make them finish after shift change.

uber isnt great but its a fuckload better as a service than cabs ever were.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
ive never taken an uber or lyft or any rideshare

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Dreylad posted:

same, living in a place with functioning and accessible public transport feels p nice

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Subjunctive posted:

hmm.

https://www.taksihelsinki.fi/en/company/about-us/

it doesn’t sound like their drivers are employees, are you sure about that?

oh right yeah I guess i could've expressed that more clearly. before 2018 in finland, the entire industry was heavily regulated and individual drivers needed licenses whose number was determined by area, there was minimum and maximum prices per minute driven, and the taxi dispatch companies couldn't crony extra money from different drivers. so yeah, i guess they're not employees, they're all private contractors, but the uber company was basically completely controlled by the state wrt their policies towards the drivers.

endlessmonotony posted:

Hasn't been true since July 2018 when they "updated" the system to be compatible with Gig Job Hell.
and nowadays i really have no clue what actually changed except that taxi licenses are now unlimited in number and different taxis can ask for different prices and all the previous regulations still apply... in part? and uhh... yeah it's really confusing nowadays, but basically point is NATIONALIZE UBER

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

denmark said that our taxi safety regulations also apply to jitneys, so uber left lol

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Uber effectively loses money as it expands so pulling out of Denmark was probably one of its rare sound financial decisions.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Carthag Tuek posted:

denmark said that our taxi safety regulations also apply to jitneys, so uber left lol

Not before incurring a large fine, though. :lol:

gently caress Uber. The taxi situation isn't ideal by any means, but that poo poo needed to go.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

forgot about the fine :yeshaha:

e: but yeah, being a cabbie is a poo poo job :(

Carthag Tuek has issued a correction as of 16:10 on Jul 10, 2020

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Dreylad posted:

I get to be real loving smug with this too. I lived in the middle of nowhere and now I live in a city with drat good transit.

edit: I did try to use it once but the only place it would drop me off was at a gas station 2 and a half miles from my house, I don't get how people swear by that poo poo.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wfamPW3Eaw

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://autoblow.com/automoblow/

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not lovely, more like :krad: cyberpunk dystopia:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_q88bln34qH1xoyw8p.mp4

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

wtf is that thing

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

mysterious frankie posted:

Blue line to 82 would drop me off two blocks from my apartment, but it's also like an hour trip, as opposed to ten minutes that my company pays for.
Don't worry, Elon Musk is going to upgrade the Blue Line with a HyperLoop.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
At first I thought you meant the thin blue line and was thrilled at the prospect of Musk trying to "help" pigs.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
things gettin real lovely cyberpunk for gen z

https://twitter.com/hlntnr/status/1282768666547965954

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

What in the actual gently caress are they thinking

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

bike tory posted:

🤑

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Its a good time to be an IB student named Jared that plays lacrosse

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

redleader posted:

https://twitter.com/hlntnr/status/1282768666547965954

Ah, going down the Westworld S3 lovely cyberpunk dystopia pipe

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

bike tory posted:

that now's a good time to buy some support and goodwill from pricey private schools

the machine learning system didn't just predict students' grades based on the assignments they'd already done. it also factored in the grades of previous students from the same school. so just going to a school that typically produces a lot of high IB scores would cause your predicted IB score to be higher

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Main Paineframe posted:

that now's a good time to buy some support and goodwill from pricey private schools

the machine learning system didn't just predict students' grades based on the assignments they'd already done. it also factored in the grades of previous students from the same school. so just going to a school that typically produces a lot of high IB scores would cause your predicted IB score to be higher

lmao, tech bros shouldn't be allowed near anything.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
It really is the next logical step from a country that already has kids at increasingly young ages take standardized tests that determine the bands of future education open to them.
Why waste all that time testing individual students? Just let the black box spit out the results saying young fancy lads deserve the rule the world.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 00:38 on Jul 14, 2020

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

lomarf

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

That is so amazingly terrible it almost defies belief

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i mean, that's not too far off how it already works

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

bike tory posted:

"Hey I just watched this movie the other night, 'Brazil,' about how good it is to have algorithms run everything."

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tulip posted:

"Hey I just watched this movie the other night, 'Brazil,' about how good it is to have algorithms run everything."

I don't think it means the same thing when one of those ghouls says 'fancy a bit of necrophilia?'

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm imagining if trump decided he wanted to rant about needing more algorithms instead of covid testing and I hate my brain now

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Tubgoat posted:

At first I thought you meant the thin blue line and was thrilled at the prospect of Musk trying to "help" pigs.

Firing sleds full of cops out of rough hewn tunnels, 200mph, directly at the poor.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://atlasofsurveillance.org/

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

redleader posted:

lmbo there was article about this because some students got significantly worse scores than predicted, which meant that they actually didn't get accepted to university/med school
and the scores took so long to come out that the entrance exams had already happened

whatever they actually got worse score than they deserved, who knows, but was pretty big laughs that if they want to contest the scores, they have to pay several hundred dollars, there's no guarantee that it will do anything and they won't even get explanation for their score because the board doesn't know the reasoning for their scores either

also apparently for the first time ever their own self-evaluation/score expectation was fed in too so hopefully you gave yourself max score???

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
wanted to buy a copy of premiere for a project and lol

checked by default ofc :hmmyes:

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Delta-Wye posted:

wanted to buy a copy of premiere for a project and lol

checked by default ofc :hmmyes:

Where is that setting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Inceltown posted:

lmao, tech bros shouldn't be allowed near anything.

What aboiut a graveyard