Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

It is definitely “Umbrella Academy but not poo poo and things actually happen”

Things happen in Doom Patrol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ok I’ll give it a shot. You’ve sold me.

And I never watched Umbrella Academy either, but after seeing it described as “Wes Anderson’s X-Men” a few pages back my interest in that is piqued as well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Things happen in Doom Patrol?

A hell of a lot more than Umbrella Academy, that’s for sure. Like I didn’t think there would be a show with worse Netflix bloat than the lesser Marvel Netflix shows, but they beat them by a long way.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Ok I’ll give it a shot. You’ve sold me.

And I never watched Umbrella Academy either, but after seeing it described as “Wes Anderson’s X-Men” a few pages back my interest in that is piqued as well.

That.....couldn’t be less accurate. That’s an awful description.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 10, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What are you on about

Umbrella Academy is very much "Wes Anderson presents The X Men", to the point that it seems very deliberate

Specifically, it's "Royal Tenenbaums But They're the X Men".

And it's great :colbert:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s not like the CW Arrowverse shows at all. It’s very funny and adult and weird. And not funny in that Legends of Tomorrow “lol xD so random” way

precision posted:

There's an episode about a teleporting, sentient, genderqueer street, and it's incredibly touching

Yeah, this is my problem with the show.

It's a Grant Morrison cover band, one that's really committed to doing a good job but is honestly pretty mediocre. There's good stuff there, because they're jamming with Grant Morrison's tunes, but they're a bit obvious about it, and a bit too pleased with themselves.

Diane Guerrero is a bit too flimsy to portray all the alters she needs to, and some of her stuff is pretty melodramatic and the drug stuff is very 90's. Cliff and Larry consistently read more as cardboard than as people -- they're like puppets. The only characters that consistently work for me are Rita and Cyborg. So yeah... I've fallen behind this season too...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

Diane Guerrero is a bit too flimsy to portray all the alters she needs to

Wow, couldn't disagree more on this point. The first episode with Karen is amazing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And I very much take issue with the implication that the sentient genderqueer street was "lol random" because it was not that at all, it was completely sincere and touching because the street was a manifestation of a desire for genderqueer acceptance and was not played for laughs at all

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

And I very much take issue with the implication that the sentient genderqueer street was "lol random" because it was not that at all, it was completely sincere and touching because the street was a manifestation of a desire for genderqueer acceptance and was not played for laughs at all

100% this.

precision posted:

What are you on about

Umbrella Academy is very much "Wes Anderson presents The X Men", to the point that it seems very deliberate

100% not this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Danny is the best character on the show.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

TheAardvark posted:

I watched through 9 or 10 and I just remember they started mining the hell out of the Bible for more angels and demons and poo poo. I liked up through 5 a lot but I got real bored of that, when what drew me to the show in the first place was the huge varieties of monsters. I would watch 15 seasons of it as a pure MOTW show in a heart beat.

I watched until the season where they brought the mom back to life because undoing the inciting incident of the entire show felt like the point where they were really out of ideas. And this was after they brought the dad back (in his young adult form because Jeffrey Dean Morgan was too big a get to have back as a regular character again), killed Death, and had a grim reaper tell them point blank that they weren't going to be bringing them back from the dead anymore because that had already happened so many times.

Also they had a season where God was on earth and was played by the show's creator and the reason God had been absent from the world and plunged the angels and demons into a war to usher in the apocalypse was because he was off making the show Revolution. Also it turned out that all along God was a joke character who was introduced years earlier as an excuse to make jokes about the show's fandom by having Supernatural be a series of novels in their world.

This was years after they had a season where the big bad were Leviathans that escaped from purgatory. Like almost every monster in Supernatural it took the form of a regular person with contact lenses and/or an occasional CGI overlay. The Leviathans' CGI effect was black oil, and they were weak against Borax because it's a cleaning product that breaks down oil. Speaking of oil, the leader of the Leviathans is a billionaire who is friends with George W Bush and Donald Trump and is using corn syrup to turn the population of the world fat and docile so he can more easily harvest them for food. Also his name was Dick and they made a bunch of dick jokes.

Supernatural ruled and we were blessed to have it and to have it for so long. We're probably never going to have another show like it again: a genre show that isn't an adaptation of an existing IP or created by an algorithm or tries to elevate itself by Saying Something. Just two brothers, a car full of guns, one hotel set, and a whole bunch of Canadian actors in colored contact lenses.

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

Almost Human popped up on IMDB tv a while back, and I gotta say I’m surprised at how well the show holds up. Aside from the usual fox fuckery with episode order it’s pretty solid and if it dropped on Netflix or Amazon as a new series with just about everything as it was I’d see it getting more seasons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

precision posted:

Chill, I'm queer and not one of the brokebrained lot who think that gives them an automatic free pass to be atrocious human beings. I was gonna be more specific about pointing out that I can applaud inclusivity but still find it shallow, but I think people mistake nuance for pre-emptive defensiveness, hiding a guilty conscience or whatever.

I was gonna say something more about how the street part was the part I found difficult and glib, like being a sentient neighbourhood is the single most interesting them about them, and I don't think that they did much with that idea. It just sort of sits there, to be honest.

I've seen good Cabaret-inspired episodes of television before (the best being the one in the second season of Good Behavior, I reckon). But I've not seen many about sentient locations.

But frankly I wrote that post while high and my original point got lost. Hence the way it now looks like I'm weirdly stigmatising the queer aspect as being monkeycheese randum, when clearly the episode goes to great pains to reject that reading.

Peace, you're good posters. Salut.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The penultimate episode of Blindspot was last night.

I am dragging myself across the finish line for this show, which ends on July 23rd.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Chill, I'm queer and not one of the brokebrained lot who think that gives them an automatic free pass to be atrocious human beings. I was gonna be more specific about pointing out that I can applaud inclusivity but still find it shallow, but I think people mistake nuance for pre-emptive defensiveness, hiding a guilty conscience or whatever.

I was gonna say something more about how the street part was the part I found difficult and glib, like being a sentient neighbourhood is the single most interesting them about them, and I don't think that they did much with that idea. It just sort of sits there, to be honest.

I've seen good Cabaret-inspired episodes of television before (the best being the one in the second season of Good Behavior, I reckon). But I've not seen many about sentient locations.

But frankly I wrote that post while high and my original point got lost. Hence the way it now looks like I'm weirdly stigmatising the queer aspect as being monkeycheese randum, when clearly the episode goes to great pains to reject that reading.

Peace, you're good posters. Salut.

Too late. You’re cancelled.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Gaunab posted:

How the gently caress did Supernatural last 15 goddamn seasons. I like the lighthearted episodes but jesus! Season 10 has been an entire season where barely anything happened and also introduced Rowena and Claire who are both just horrible. Then they add some stuff about Frankensteins in the last five episodes like that's the same thing as an overarching storyline. Yeah, yeah, it's schlock and what did I expect but I hit my limit and wanted to vent.

You can't stop now, what with season 11 containing the best episode of the show: ep 4, "Baby", which is told entirely from the perspective of the car. It's hilarious, touching, and has one of the best music cues of the whole show.

At this rate I wonder if we'll ever actually get to see the end of season 15. :(

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The most frustrating thing about post-S5 Supernatural is how they absolutely refused to work with what they had. Starting with the Men of Letters arc, Sam and Dean should have fallen back to advisory/supporting positions so they could bring in new regulars and try out new things instead of those awful, abortive spinoff attempts. A season of Garth and the Werewolves; a season of Jodi and the Wayward Girls; poo poo even that Chicago branch could have worked.

Jared and Jensen could have kept collecting checks while the show keeps soft-rebooting. It isn’t The Winchesters, it’s Supernatural. Run with it.

No I haven’t written any fan fiction so shut up.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Slamhound posted:

It isn’t The Winchesters, it’s Supernatural. Run with it.

I mean, they tried that twice and both times they were complete failures (Bloodlines is hands down the absolute worst episode of the entire show, yes even worse than Bugs). The entire show is built around the brothers, the core message is family. No Sam and Dean, no show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They are really owning the fact that it's all about the brothers in the final season to the point where it might get annoyingly meta for some people.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Umbrella Academy is very much not Wes Anderson's X-Men. I mean sure, they're quirky and drama driven but that's it. Visually it's very much not a Wes Anderson show and visuals is Wes' big thing imo

Tyler Whitney posted:

Almost Human popped up on IMDB tv a while back, and I gotta say I’m surprised at how well the show holds up. Aside from the usual fox fuckery with episode order it’s pretty solid and if it dropped on Netflix or Amazon as a new series with just about everything as it was I’d see it getting more seasons.

If only FOX would have let so many sci-fi shows live :smith:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, at least Fox can't hurt anyone anymore since they are pivoting to sitcoms, sports, and news.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Sirotan posted:

I mean, they tried that twice and both times they were complete failures (Bloodlines is hands down the absolute worst episode of the entire show, yes even worse than Bugs). The entire show is built around the brothers, the core message is family. No Sam and Dean, no show.
Maybe I expressed it wrong, but that’s kind of my point. The brothers should totally be a part, but in an overarching/wraparound role. The spinoffs were supposed to be their own things with little-to-no connection to the brothers.

Relegate the Winchesters to B-plots and let the B-cast take the MotW A-plots. Bring the boys back in for the season finales.

The spinoffs tried to replicate the existing structure instead of building from it.

Also, I’m thinking more of Wayward Girls which features Jodi and not Bloodlines which was pulled whole-cloth out of someone’s rear end. That was just terrible.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol do NOT watch this clip, it spoils an entire season and is delves heavily into the plot of the penultimate episode.

Just watch the the 1st ep and if the excellent cinematography, meta narration, out there plotring, and spare but effective characterization isnt for you, then fair enoigh.

Croatoan posted:

Umbrella Academy is very much not Wes Anderson's X-Men. I mean sure, they're quirky and drama driven but that's it. Visually it's very much not a Wes Anderson show and visuals is Wes' big thing imo

If only FOX would have let so many sci-fi shows live :smith:

Umbrella Academy's writing is abysmal and its a crying shame that a comic that spent so time being inventive and intelligent was adapted into the morose yelling hour spiked with the occasional nonsensical dance montage.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Slamhound posted:

Maybe I expressed it wrong, but that’s kind of my point. The brothers should totally be a part, but in an overarching/wraparound role. The spinoffs were supposed to be their own things with little-to-no connection to the brothers.

Relegate the Winchesters to B-plots and let the B-cast take the MotW A-plots. Bring the boys back in for the season finales.

The spinoffs tried to replicate the existing structure instead of building from it.

Also, I’m thinking more of Wayward Girls which features Jodi and not Bloodlines which was pulled whole-cloth out of someone’s rear end. That was just terrible.

But what if I want more Sam and Dean not less. :colbert:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Sirotan posted:

Well I’ve written some fanfiction...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Then I have good news!! There's plenty of erotic incest fanfic out there just for you :confuoot:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Then I have good news!! There's plenty of erotic incest fanfic out there just for you :confuoot:

What did I just now say?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Umbrella Academy's writing is abysmal and its a crying shame that a comic that spent so time being inventive and intelligent was adapted into the morose yelling hour spiked with the occasional nonsensical dance montage.

Shame this is too long for a thread title

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

What are you on about

I am so hyped for Umbrella Academy S2. I didn’t expect to like the first season but I gave it a shot and was completely hooked. The actor who plays 5 is amazing, in flashbacks he plays a kid really well, and in the present day stuff he completely sells the whole “60 year old with post apocalyptic ptsd” thing.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Far be it from me to disparage fanfiction (lmao) but fans make the worst writers

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/GovBrewer/status/1281437190115872770

Well just throw former governor Jan Brewer on the getting the wrong moral message from Breaking Bad pile

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'm super late to the game but season one of punisher is actually really great y'all were right. Is season two as good?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Croatoan posted:

I'm super late to the game but season one of punisher is actually really great y'all were right. Is season two as good?

It’s not as good but it’s miles ahead of any of the Netflix Marvel stuff that was coming out around then.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GovBrewer/status/1281437190115872770

Well just throw former governor Jan Brewer on the getting the wrong moral message from Breaking Bad pile

To be fair we've been doing nothing but half measures in this country

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Croatoan posted:

It's a little odd but still great.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Gonz posted:

The penultimate episode of Blindspot was last night.

I am dragging myself across the finish line for this show, which ends on July 23rd.

I'm about 5 episodes behind at this point, but I am also planning to finish it. Blindspot was never a great show, but it's a solid as hell action show, and the quality has never really dipped.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Shageletic posted:

The comic was pretty rough though. The structure wasn't very solid but the ideas got through well enough if that makes sense.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A funny thing about Doom Patrol is that it was originally supposed to be a spin off of Titans and they show up in s1 with most of the cast but a different actor for Chief.

Then Doom Patrol started up and it didn't match at all with what they showed in Titans. It wasn't until the CW Crisis ended that they explicitly stated that Titans and Doom Patrol take place in different universes.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I remember reading that Cyborg was introduced in Doom Patrol first to "mature into" the role he'd have on Titans. The split of the universes makes me wonder if they're ever going to have (a) Cyborg show up on Titans.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

Only watched the first two episodes but if I May Destroy You holds up this quality then its easily going to be one the best and most relevant shows of 2020. Except, you know, it wasn't so prescient as to include a worldwide pandemic as a plot device.

I've seen the first three episodes (for anyone wondering it's BBC/HBO so it's definitely aimed to have 'the goods.') It absolutely nails the bad-stuff-happens/life-continues-despite-the-bad-stuff, and how people embrace the bad stuff with an almost humorous disdain for themselves and everything, comedic and tragic (but not stage-play tragic, more the despair of life.) It's also incredibly dense in material, a 30 minute episode feels like you've lived.

I feel like either it or me won't be able to keep up with it, which is a loving tantalizing proposition from a show.

Edit: I make it sound like a drama, which it is, but it's also funny as gently caress because life is funny, but it's not a "dramedy."

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TheAardvark posted:

I remember reading that Cyborg was introduced in Doom Patrol first to "mature into" the role he'd have on Titans. The split of the universes makes me wonder if they're ever going to have (a) Cyborg show up on Titans.

According to the show he had his accident when he was 18. And I guess he meets the Doom Patrol at 24. So him hanging out with the Teen Titans is the superhero equivalent of the dude who graduated high school five years ago hanging out in the high school parking lot after school.