Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

explosivo posted:

I'm not going to hate you for doing it but I never really understood the obsessive categorization of your game library, I just sort by most recent and work from the top :shrug:

I do have one category and it's a place where I can shove all the bundle trash I picked up that I'll literally never play. The rest of the stuff I generally have an idea of what I own and will just search by name to play it.

I kind of see the sorting as a game itself mostly, but it also makes me look at bundle mysteries and things collected over the years to see if it might interest me.
Think I've actually used the categories to find something I was in the mood for maybe once. Usually searching what I want to play by name as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Black Griffon posted:

Alright I did a Zachtronics thread. Feel free to hop in and correct me or post cool poo poo or something.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932334

To this day I have no Idea how I ever beat Spacechem on my own.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Steam Unpressurizer is pretty useful and I wish it still worked.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

someone (bunch of people itt) once said my sorting method was good

Zedd posted:

To this day I have no Idea how I ever beat Spacechem on my own.

I really ought to play more Spacechem. Since I started with Infinifactory, it's always been sort of in the backlog.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Heran Bago posted:

I kind of see the sorting as a game itself mostly, but it also makes me look at bundle mysteries and things collected over the years to see if it might interest me.
Think I've actually used the categories to find something I was in the mood for maybe once. Usually searching what I want to play by name as well.

That's totally fair. I guess I am not usually perusing my library to see what to play next most of the time due to the eternal backlog of games :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Verlet Swing: nausea simulator. first person swinging speed-run thing and holy moly that was a bad idea. uninstalled

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

OzFactor posted:

So in the end, what was the final verdict on Bloodstained? I consider Symphony of the Night one of my favorite games of all time, but I'm also one of those people who think Hollow Knight is the absolute pinnacle of the genre it created* and I'm not sure I could really enjoy playing something as floaty as SotN again. I took out my DS not that long ago and started Aria of Sorrow and after an hour thought "wow, was it always this boring?" So, addressing my fellow HK cultists: did you end up liking Bloodstained?

*Super Metroid is also one of my favorite games and I don't think we need to get into this

Bloodstained is literally a Castlevania game in all but name. It's at least as good as the DS titles.

For reference I did not like Hollow Knight.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Black Griffon posted:

Strange energy.... What's hidden in there? I see MSC, that's pretty strange energy for sure.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Black Griffon posted:

:hmmyes:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

punk rebel ecks posted:

Bloodstained is literally a Castlevania game in all but name. It's at least as good as the DS titles.

For reference I did not like Hollow Knight.

Hmm I don't know about all that, Bloodstained lacks the polish of the older games but its still a really great effort for a Kickstarted game.

For reference I really liked Hollow Knight

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

John Lee posted:

Yeah, the first level is IMO the worst by quite a margin. I was ready to give up, but every level past that has been rad, so :shrug:

It wasn't even bad, at all! At least to me - it was just a little dull to play the game in, even as I luxuriated in the aesthetics. The camera seems to give me a lot more guff there than at the hub, too.

I haven't finished the second level yet, not by a long shot, but it's already more engaging even if there's not much actual platforming, for some reason. Maybe it's the level gimmick.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 11, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hollow Knight is basically perfect and imo everyone who hasn't played it should play it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Sininu posted:

Strange energy.... What's hidden in there? I see MSC, that's pretty strange energy for sure.

I've got way more strange energy games due to the fact that I've yet to sort the majority of my stuff, but you get the idea.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Black Griffon posted:

I've got way more strange energy games due to the fact that I've yet to sort the majority of my stuff, but you get the idea.

You should put all of Ice Pick Lodge's stuff in there. If you don't have their stuff, go get it.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Ice Pick Lodge and ACE Team should team up and make a video game that enables us to transcend to the next level of existence

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm liking A Hat in Time area 2 a hell of a lot more than the first but I need a break from that forced accent. Off to area 3, Subcon Forest

[Brothers Grimm mood intensifies]

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

it appears hat kid is now contractually obligated to murder in the name of satan :geno:

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

SirSamVimes posted:

Hollow Knight is basically perfect and imo everyone who hasn't played it should play it.

I hated the knockback when you attack something, and hated even more that there was a trinket you could equip that negates it. Which means they knew people would hate it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

OzFactor posted:

So in the end, what was the final verdict on Bloodstained? I consider Symphony of the Night one of my favorite games of all time, but I'm also one of those people who think Hollow Knight is the absolute pinnacle of the genre it created* and I'm not sure I could really enjoy playing something as floaty as SotN again. I took out my DS not that long ago and started Aria of Sorrow and after an hour thought "wow, was it always this boring?" So, addressing my fellow HK cultists: did you end up liking Bloodstained?

*Super Metroid is also one of my favorite games and I don't think we need to get into this
What do you think of the GBA and DS castlevania games?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

StrixNebulosa posted:

having starscream's mug on my steam profile gives me great joy, so no

Not only have I never thought to do this, I’m also considering buying whatever transformers game to steal your idea

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FastestGunAlive posted:

Not only have I never thought to do this, I’m also considering buying whatever transformers game to steal your idea

If it’s one of the Cybertron games you’re SOL, Activision lost the rights so they’re no longer for sale. A shame, they were phenomenal.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
mounting extinct cheevo heads on your wall

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Bloodstained was great and it really scratched that Metroidvania itch. It was good enough that I beat it despite early Switch release jank.

And for reference, I have never played and barely know anything about Hollow Knight.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The trick with A Hat in Time is to realize that it's a Psychonauts game that, a bit confusingly, starts with a Mario 64 level. As I remember the game was originally sold on the premise of "let's bring back 90s 3D platformer collectathons :woop:" alongside Yooka-Laylee but apparently they pivoted almost immediately for whatever reason.

OzFactor posted:

That reminds me that they did a remake of Metroid 2, which I loved when I was a kid. It was lonely and weird and scary.

Sadly neither Metroid 2 remake really captures the atmosphere of the original. AM2R is a pretty fantastic game otherwise, though.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Battleborn in 2020 (servers close 2021): progress doesn't save properly, item grind is bugged, no one plays online.

On the plus side, the game is still wicked fun in bot mode. The average graphics technology finally caught up with the game and it's a dream to play on 60 fps/maxed out graphics.

Honestly, I hope the game will get a proper re-release for the new console gen.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, if you don't have pressure, you have no reason to make mistakes, and gently caress up failure spirals are what make Shipbreaker's campaign fun imho. Sandbox is better for chill podcast poo poo.

Some of us have mental issues that make 'gently caress up failure spirals' cause psychological damage and decreased sense of self worth. I should know.. this is me sometimes.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

You should put all of Ice Pick Lodge's stuff in there. If you don't have their stuff, go get it.

To my great shame I still don't own P2 or any other IPL games.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ciaphas posted:

it appears hat kid is now contractually obligated to murder in the name of satan :geno:

She also has a ridiculously cute signature.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I don't get Mindustry. Giving a tower defense game Factorio elements sounds like a grand idea, particularly when Factorio itself sort-of has elements of tower defense, but in practice it just immediately turns into "every single grunt enemy is going to ruin a piece of your conveyor network somewhere, ruining your entire setup", and if you survive to extraction everything is of course erased. This is excruciatingly unfun.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

OzFactor posted:

Bloodstained is significantly worse than Hollow Knight, it's nowhere near as tightly designed and the combat and platforming are consistently clunky no matter which of the million options you use. it's pretty linear as far as metroidvanias go so it didn't really come close to the more open exploration of HK. i haven't played any of Iga's Castlevanias other than SotN and it's not even as good as SotN. it's not terrible or anything but i have a hard time recommending it if

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm laughing at "not even as good as SotN"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I don't get Mindustry. Giving a tower defense game Factorio elements sounds like a grand idea, particularly when Factorio itself sort-of has elements of tower defense, but in practice it just immediately turns into "every single grunt enemy is going to ruin a piece of your conveyor network somewhere, ruining your entire setup", and if you survive to extraction everything is of course erased. This is excruciatingly unfun.

Yeah I felt exactly the same. I might try it again whenever they do that big update but I just couldn't get into it at all. I don't want to have to re-do the factory setup stuff from scratch over and over again instead of building one up over time to add complexity to it.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

lih posted:

but i have a hard time recommending it if

Oh no the critic police got him :commissar:

Bloodstained has an undeniable small-studio jank to it but for me that was mostly in the visuals. I thought it played perfectly fine for the most part, although you can tell they ran out of budget towards the end when designing the map. Perhaps the most damning thing about it to me is just that it's trying too hard to be Legally Distinct Castlevania in its plot and setting. None of the characters stuck with me at all (besides maybe O.G.), nor the story. Hollow Knight on the other hand I had kind of the opposite experience with: I adore the atmosphere and the oddball characters and the story is fascinating when you dig into it, you can tell the devs really loved making their world, but I bounced off it the first few times I tried to get into it. The exploration is open ended enough that you can end up missing multiple save points on your way to your death, and in my case I lost a couple thousand geo while trying desperately to get the hell back onto the known path to go buy the lantern which I needed to progress. That was a loving kick in the teeth. I like HK's design and aesthetic a hell of a lot more and the boss fights are (with a couple exceptions) phenomenally designed, but the actual process of exploring felt a lot smoother in Bloodstained.

I ended up finishing both games and liking them for different reasons, but it's the story and characters from Hollow Knight that have really stuck with me. Silksong and Deltarune are the only games I'm actively looking forward to now, whereas I couldn't really care less if another Bloodstained happens.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hollow Knight and Bloodstained are really on two opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to metroidvanias. Like, literally HK is a great Metroid-style game whereas Bloodstained is the successor to all the open-world RPG Castlevanias.

They're both great games and achieve what they're aiming for perfectly.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Edmond Dantes posted:

I really liked Exodus, but not as a Metro game. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great game, it just didn't feel... well, Metroy. And I don't mean the jump to open world in itself (although that may have contributed), just the overall mood of the game; the last level is the closest it gets to that 2033/LL feeling.

Definitely agree. Appreciate them for doing something different with the formula, but I think they went too much in the other direction by trying to make each open world level different from each other. You see this most in the Caspian level which might as well just be renamed Mad Max.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Bloodstained has a good map, which helps a ton with exploration. Hollow Knight makes you waste a badge slot to make the map usable at all, which you only get a very limited amount of.

Bloodstained has some jank, and the setting/story is a bit lackluster, but I didn't regret the time I spent with it. I'd be interested in what they do with a sequel (with hopefully a little bit larger of a budget).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Maybe my expectations were too high (the DS games are some of my fav of all time) but I was super burned by Bloodstained. I felt like most of the weapons and souls were worthless on a level that wasn't the case in the DS metroidvanias and I just didn't enjoy the boss fights or how the game looked visually much at all.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Spoke Lee posted:

Any good games come out aping Slay The Spire? Also how and Stellar Tactics and I Am Not A Monster?

Griftlands! :supaburn:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Det_no posted:

Bastard Bonds is good stuff, least a couple hours in. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it has some sort of HQ management system and that you can create custom characters that then might be found as recruitables within the game. I'm a little worried about lovely builds and accidentally gimping (heh) myself but so far, I'm really digging it. I only wish the character creator had a few more colors to choose from.
Too bad about the dev
https://twitter.com/GrisserBernard/status/1275232998913224705
https://twitter.com/Captaingerbear/status/639176795825283073

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Unlike Hollow Knight, Bloodstained is good. Both games are kinda ugly though

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I think Exodus is the weakest of the trilogy. It's a real good game but... eh. It's trying to be more like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but isn't willing to give up some of the more distinctly Metro elements either and the two don't mix quite as well as you think.

The initial longass load times and open world really killed my interest in Exodus after a fee hours, and I love the series.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 11, 2020