Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah sticking with the insta-shield woulda been better than the homing thing. I've always hated it.
It would even make more sense in 3D given that increasing your jump’s hitbox can compensate for the greater demand for accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

New SRB2 patch with some sick Knux buffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHxUbX269IE

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I love SRB2 but the level design, even after the improvements, needs some work. So many levels aren't taking advantage of the slopes and momentum being fun, and instead leverage them as a challenge where the precision is hard to meet. The final zone is awful with the space segments too.

There are some really cool and fun level packs though, and alternate characters (like replacing the Thok with a double-jump) make the existing levels more fun, too. Junio/Toei Sonic is totally broken but fun to use!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Evil Eagle posted:

I should finally try this game. Looks like the Saturn Sonic we never got.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm glad they're finally moving on from that idiotic "nobody is allowed to go super except Sonic" rule they had

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Augus posted:

I'm glad they're finally moving on from that idiotic "nobody is allowed to go super except Sonic" rule they had

I'm surprised fans would "follow' that rule, maybe it was just a priority/dev time thing?

But yeah, I hate how Sega has determined "It Is Only Hedgehogs Who are Special."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

I'm surprised fans would "follow' that rule, maybe it was just a priority/dev time thing?

But yeah, I hate how Sega has determined "It Is Only Hedgehogs Who are Special."

Male Hedgehogs!

Anyway one of the really lovely people on Sonic Team Jr., Mystic, got kicked the gently caress out along with some other team members - and it seems there's been a creative shift as a result.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Oxyclean posted:

When did this happen? Did they forget Sonic 3K?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

Current creative edict from brand management - although Mania broke the rule too. It applies to the comics for sure.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

And Blaze the Cat apparently (though her form is officially called “Burning Blaze”).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think they've kinda decided that wasn't canon? Like I think Super Emeralds and all the forms related to it were declared non canon at some point (or a person at Sonic Team has had things to say about it?) I want to say something about this came up with regards to Sonic Mania.

The only characters to go Super since S3&K has been Sonic, Shadow and Silver. (e: With Mania being an exception?)

Like fuckin Shadow and Silver get to go super in their first appearance games, but my pals Tails and Knuckles get left in the dirt.
e:

Larryb posted:

And Blaze the Cat apparently (though her form is officially called “Burning Blaze”).
Ah fair, I totally forgot about that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oxyclean posted:

Nah it's a different lame justification from Sega's. One of the guys on the development team (who recently left) was very weirdly insistent about only Sonic being able to go Super and was extremely dismissive of anyone suggesting that Tails or Knuckles get Super forms. They had this whole weird argument that super forms invalidated what made the characters unique from each other and would not back down from this stance.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is this person unaware that Sonic 2K, 3K, and Mania exist or what?

Tails and Knuckles did get to join in during the final battle in Heroes but for some reason they were just given golden shields rather than proper Super forms.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

It happened in Sonic Heroes when instead of going super knuckles and tails got to follow sonic around in a bubble

DoctorWhat posted:

I love SRB2 but the level design, even after the improvements, needs some work. So many levels aren't taking advantage of the slopes and momentum being fun, and instead leverage them as a challenge where the precision is hard to meet. The final zone is awful with the space segments too.

I don't really agree, though they are fully remaking Egg Rock Zone for a future version. It feels so rewarding to get good as regular Sonic in this game

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Blaze is from an alternate dimension or whatever, she’s the “Sonic” of that place and thus is allowed a super form. Presumably, her edgy doppleganger, Ice Cold the Cat, and dopey telekinetic tagalong, Argentum the Cat, would also have burning forms.

What boggles my mind, is the utterly lack of fanmade sprites for Super Tails and Knuckles. I expected someone to make them for Mania within a month or two release, given its popularity with modders.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

What boggles my mind, is the utterly lack of fanmade sprites for Super Tails and Knuckles. I expected someone to make them for Mania within a month or two release, given its popularity with modders.

That might not be possible without getting deeper into the code? I would assume super knuckles and super tails aren't separate sprite sheets, just palette cycles of the original, so you can't replace the art without replacing the normal ones. I assume: I know the mania engine has proper cycling built deeply into it, so I can't imagine why they'd have a separate sheet.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 10, 2020

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Also that's just what Super Tails and Super Knuckles look like.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Augus posted:

That rule was a result of a tight-assed, elitist rear end in a top hat dev that was recently ousted, prompting the return of manu oldbies and more freedom in design.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Not just Mystic but a general hold belief as something in the ultimate design document for the game. Something which newer people in the dev team are realizing that maybe sticking to something over 15 years old stringently is maybe a bit absurd given the people behind it no longer even work on the game itself or are really connected to the community after moving onto their own path.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

thats cause eggrock zone 2 got no changes from when srb2 had no slopes other than removing some sections like the fbz boss or mini sonic. the mapper behind it has made progress with a new version but knowing him hes too much of a perfectionist.

ChaseSP posted:

Not just Mystic but a general hold belief as something in the ultimate design document for the game. Something which newer people in the dev team are realizing that maybe sticking to something over 15 years old stringently is maybe a bit absurd given the people behind it no longer even work on the game itself or are really connected to the community after moving onto their own path.

i literally only heard about this like a couple days ago. cant believe hes finally gone lol

e: also i finally got around to playing the latest srb2 last week or so. its insane watching the progression of architecture in this game. i dont know if anyone remembers 1.08 CEZ1 and 2 cause holy drat those sucked. some rooms were just cubes with repeating brick texture and crawlas. things finally kinda look like the places theyre supposed to.
and with mystics departure i wonder if we can all finally put Aerial Garden Zone behind us. what a tedious boring pile. i dunno why he liked that one so much, i recall there being better stuff in The Mystic Realm

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 10, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Evil Eagle posted:

Goddamn does OpenGL mode look better than software rendering what with the way stuff in the distance doesn't turn into shimmering pixel static.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Blaze gets around the rules by bringing her own set of emeralds.

Also in regards to homing attack chat I'd love to see a 3d sonic with an emphasis on sonic's spin attack. I'm imagining something that woks a little like the Drill from Drilldozer, IE: a button that curls and spins sonic when held, a separate button to reverse spin direction and another button to 'rev up'. If you spin into an enemy you can rev up to bust through them and keep going or reverse the spin to do more damage and bounce backwards. Maybe also a system that allows you to target the next enemy while you're spinning through your current target. Also bring back rolling down hill as your primary means of getting speed but uncurled sonic can do parkour.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

ArfJason posted:

and with mystics departure i wonder if we can all finally put Aerial Garden Zone behind us. what a tedious boring pile. i dunno why he liked that one so much, i recall there being better stuff in The Mystic Realm

Like half the reason AGZ has been kept purely because of it being a cool testbed for how massive you could make maps in 2.0 compared to the previous version, also AGZ is infact a fun map to play through.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nah AGZ actually sucks poo poo and it's gonna go in probably the next really big update. There's a thread about it on their forums and basically nobody is defending it.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

AGZ owns.
As part of The Mystic Realm.
In 1.09.4.
In which you could save at any time.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

it was also four separate acts back then, and had permanently killable flying assholes instead of infinitely respawning flying jerks

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Salvage the assets, build new version from scratch? Or is there nothing unique enough to be worth it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The theme is nice and the assets it has are probably usable, but there isn't actually very much there. It's just room after room of grass and pale stone bricks, arranged in increasingly lovely jumping puzzles.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Well yes, considering they seem to want to remake and remaster 1+2 endlessly, and ignore 3 and all the mechanics of 3 and any levels and music from 3. And an official repackage of 3 hadn't ever been done since uh... 1999?

I feel like Capcom has the weird obsession with MM2 over 3 as well.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bodyholes posted:

Well yes, considering they seem to want to remake and remaster 1+2 endlessly, and ignore 3 and all the mechanics of 3 and any levels and music from 3. And an official repackage of 3 hadn't ever been done since uh... 1999?

I feel like Capcom has the weird obsession with MM2 over 3 as well.

Feels like that’s more due to rights issues with the music but who knows.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Sonic fans would absolutely throw a fit if Sega rereleased Sonic 3 with a new soundtrack for basically all the iconic poo poo in it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

MegaMan 2 is like leagues better than 3 tho

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

MegaMan 2 is like leagues better than 3 tho

wrong!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wouldn't say leagues. They're both equally good imo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Despite being the best 3D sonic "Robo Blast" is such a bad name.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

yeah, well, they're shackled to a decision made by a 12 year old 23 years ago

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

love pouring myself a massive glass of sunny delight and just....BLASTIN robos

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

Despite being the best 3D sonic "Robo Blast" is such a bad name.

Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

ChaseSP posted:

Sonic fans would absolutely throw a fit if Sega rereleased Sonic 3 with a new soundtrack for basically all the iconic poo poo in it.

I know I don't speak for everyone but I'd be down for that. Especially if they used the PC/prototype music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

S3&K was released on Steam within the last decade, so music being a huge obstacle seems unlikely. Still, I think most people would be fine with like, Tee Lopes or someone doing replacement songs where needed.