Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Begemot posted:

Hollow Knight and Bloodstained are really on two opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to metroidvanias. Like, literally HK is a great Metroid-style game whereas Bloodstained is the successor to all the open-world RPG Castlevanias.

They're both great games and achieve what they're aiming for perfectly.

A big way that they're polar opposites is that Bloodstained just throws in everything and the kitchen sink - there are tons of weapons, spells, summons, passives, etc to collect and level up, and a whole lot of ways to become overpowered. It comes at the cost of some things being pretty unbalanced and the level of polish not being great, but it has its appeal. Hollow Knight on the other hand is like an exercise in minimalism, with a tiny number of elements that fit together much more deliberately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, if you don't have pressure, you have no reason to make mistakes, and gently caress up failure spirals are what make Shipbreaker's campaign fun imho. Sandbox is better for chill podcast poo poo.

Don't agree with this tbh. Games like dark souls don't need a timer to pressure you to make mistakes, neither do the majority of puzzle games. The challenge should be in the gameplay itself. Instead of using a timer to create pressure, why not make the act of shipbreaking itself more challenging. Ramp up the complexity of the ships to create tension. Or have mini 'timers' in each ship like depressurisation or reactor meltdowns that you can overcome, rather than just slapping an arbitrary blanket '15 minutes and you're done' timer. It just feels lazy to me.

I'm glad that they've given the option to turn it off though, that's cool.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Hollow Knight is a game that was obviously made with great love and care. I absolutely cannot stand paying it though and will never get the cult-like devotion it bred on the internet.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Oldstench posted:

made with great love and care. [...] the cult-like devotion it bred on the internet

Answered your own question I think. It looks unique, there's a lot of lore buried in the details, most of the characters are very memorable both in appearance and personality, and (most of) the bossfights are polished to a mirror sheen. Even as I gradually came around to playing the game in general, the bosses were emphatically the parts where I went "yesss, this is what the last hour or three was leading up to". Which is probably why the entire last content update was a fuckhuge masocore hardmode series of marathons of remixed bosses.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I haven't played Hollow Knight yet but "cult-like devotion" seems very exaggerated, if the fanbase is anywhere near the levels of games like Animal Crossing or Undertale then it has to be a very underground cult.

Large numbers of people praising and talking about a game they like is fundamentally good and cool, in any case. Plenty of cynicism and making GBS threads on things on the internet as it is.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Aphex- posted:

Don't agree with this tbh. Games like dark souls don't need a timer to pressure you to make mistakes, neither do the majority of puzzle games. The challenge should be in the gameplay itself. Instead of using a timer to create pressure, why not make the act of shipbreaking itself more challenging. Ramp up the complexity of the ships to create tension. Or have mini 'timers' in each ship like depressurisation or reactor meltdowns that you can overcome, rather than just slapping an arbitrary blanket '15 minutes and you're done' timer. It just feels lazy to me.

I'm glad that they've given the option to turn it off though, that's cool.

I’m not talking about games like Dark Souls. I think the timer works fine in context of Shipbreaker. It’s arbitrary, but it works. It’s only there to make you rush that little bit more to get everything done at the end of a shift, instead of having to go back just to do two minutes of quick work.

Ambaire posted:

Some of us have mental issues that make 'gently caress up failure spirals' cause psychological damage and decreased sense of self worth. I should know.. this is me sometimes.

I get that. You’re still going to encounter those with no timer if you make one little slip though, so maybe Shipbreaker just isn’t for you in that case. Car Mechanic Sim does pretty chill tear downs plus repairs with little to no pressure, highly recommend it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1281785285764775941

For reference the original PS2 release sold barely 100,000 units.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Japanese game devs: Still shocked that releasing their games on PC makes a fuckload of sales.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Most definitely don't reach Persona levels but yeah, that situation has changed at an incredibly fast pace. It's not many years ago that JRPGs on the PC were practically unheard of.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Persona 4 Golden has sold 500k copies on Steam.

For comparison's sake, the original release of Persona 4 sold about 400k combined between Japan and the US. Persona 4 Golden, for the Vita, later shipped around 700k copies worldwide including digital downloads.

Pretty good for a game that's been out for a month with no huge discounts.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Good, hopefully this leads to more Steam ports of Atlus games. Give us SMT too, not just Persona.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

for all the money Valve gets, their office looks stunningly bad as a workplace.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Det_no posted:

Persona 4 Golden has sold 500k copies on Steam.

For comparison's sake, the original release of Persona 4 sold about 400k combined between Japan and the US. Persona 4 Golden, for the Vita, later shipped around 700k copies worldwide including digital downloads.

Pretty good for a game that's been out for a month with no huge discounts.

If this doesn't cause them to port SMT 4, I don't know what will.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This raises a very good point, which is that Sega should announce the PC versions of Yakuza 3-6 :argh:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 11, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Kanfy posted:

Most definitely don't reach Persona levels but yeah, that situation has changed at an incredibly fast pace. It's not many years ago that JRPGs on the PC were practically unheard of.

It's mostly do to the three pillars of:

Dark Souls
Recettear
Trails in the Sky

Each of these games severely over-performed to the point of radically changing each companies release trajectory. Dark Souls needs no explanation. Recettear was a hit that sold over half a million copies and near single handily made the Japanese indie dev scene turn their heads to release their games for the Western Market. Trails in the Sky's PC release convinced Falcom to release the rest of the trilogy on PCs and learn that they could branch out beyond focusing on one single platform.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Jerusalem posted:

This raises a very good point, which is that Sega should announce the PC versions of Yakuza 3-6 :argh:

They are 100% working on them, but it'll take a bit more time. The latest Yakuza game will come first.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Blattdorf posted:

They are 100% working on them, but it'll take a bit more time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkJBFHs2cRQ

But I know, I know. I'm just so eager to finally get to play them :smith:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Jerusalem posted:

Can't believe it's more than a year since Kiwami 2 came out on steam.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Man games that abbreviate to BB are just cursed.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oldstench posted:

Hollow Knight is a game that was obviously made with great love and care. I absolutely cannot stand paying it though and will never get the cult-like devotion it bred on the internet.

It's just a very very very good game, op

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

imo it's weird to describe people liking a critically acclaimed game as engaging is cult-like behaviour but that's just me

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hollow Knight is my game of the decade last year and this year.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'll believe "cult-like devotion" when I see a motherfucker comparing Hollow Knight to Schindler's List

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One thing I really like about Hollow Knight is that it is great, and I think more games should consider that as a goal to aim towards. :hmmyes:

Can't wait for Silksong.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Hollow Knight is the Dark Souls 2 of Metroidvanias

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

I'll believe "cult-like devotion" when I see a motherfucker comparing Hollow Knight to Schindler's List

That's just not a fair comparison for Schindler's List

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I haven’t played Outer Wilds yet, but I feel like what many people loved about that game is what I loved about Hollow Knight. There was just an absurd amount of fun places to explore and secrets to uncover. And because of how it forced you to learn the map (if you didn’t want to sacrifice a pin slot) I was way more engaged with it than most other games where I just fall back on navigating by mini-map.

And then also it controlled really well, looks great, has an amazing soundtrack, had crazy launch support, it’s cheap as poo poo for being so long etc etc. Its absolutely one of the best few games of the last decade for me.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

to anyone confused about why people like hollow knight, I present this video (DLC boss spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JWQ9KjwPyE

And that's not even getting into all the other things that make the game wonderful like the massive world you can get lost in, the sense of discovery and exploration, the actually really good story, the likeable characters who all seem to be going on their own journey through the world, the way that it balances a tone of cute/melancholy/spooky, just everything about this game is wonderful.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 11, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's mostly do to the three pillars of:

Dark Souls
Recettear
Trails in the Sky

Each of these games severely over-performed to the point of radically changing each companies release trajectory. Dark Souls needs no explanation. Recettear was a hit that sold over half a million copies and near single handily made the Japanese indie dev scene turn their heads to release their games for the Western Market. Trails in the Sky's PC release convinced Falcom to release the rest of the trilogy on PCs and learn that they could branch out beyond focusing on one single platform.

Monster Hunter World also did really good numbers compared to past entries, though I don't recall how much of that was specifically down to PC.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I just realized I never finished Bloodstained or Hollow Knight, even though I quite enjoyed both of them. I just kind of petered out near the end on both. Hollow Knight is definitely more difficult if that matters. If you are the type of person that likes experimenting with zany powers and weapons Bloodstained has a ton of it. Really, Bloodstained plays a lot like SotN so if you liked that you should enjoy Bloodstained. The soundtrack is not nearly as good (which is ok, SotN is one of the best video game OSTs of all time imo). Bloodstained also has a specific part of the game that was extremely annoying for a lot of people to figure out to continue and usually required looking it up online.

e: Also if you find it fun to 'farm' stuff for rare drops or to make your character or items more powerful Bloodstained has that gameplay loop which I don't really recall from Hollow Knight (money is different, you can farm that in both). You don't really have to do it very much to get far in Bloodstained, but it is kind of fun making lots of various super weapons and powering up abilities if you are into that sort of thing.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 11, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kanfy posted:

I haven't played Hollow Knight yet but "cult-like devotion" seems very exaggerated, if the fanbase is anywhere near the levels of games like Animal Crossing or Undertale then it has to be a very underground cult.
Yeah, I mean, I really love that game and think it incredibly good and well-made, especially for an indie creation, but "cult-like devotion" is really not what I'd call the way people talk about it.

I also wouldn't shout at anyone for disliking it or pointing out its weak spots, so maybe I'm simply not devoted enough. Definitely looking forward to Silksong, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SirSamVimes posted:

She also has a ridiculously cute signature.

She does :3:

I did the stealth segment of the second level, and that was a lot of fun too! I'm glad the devs pivoted away from the '90s 3D Collectathon that the first world seems to represent - they're much better at... whatever the hell's been going on since

we waaaant to diiiiee

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SirSamVimes posted:

to anyone confused about why people like hollow knight, I present this video (DLC boss spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JWQ9KjwPyE

And that's not even getting into all the other things that make the game wonderful like the massive world you can get lost in, the sense of discovery and exploration, the actually really good story, the likeable characters who all seem to be going on their own journey through the world, the way that it balances a tone of cute/melancholy/spooky, just everything about this game is wonderful.

The actual exploration and platforming is a complete miss for me in that game, despite the beautiful audiovisual aesthetic - I've bounced straight off the game several times already. But this boss fight? This boss fight is something I could really get into, if I could be bothered to get there!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
OK sorry - "cult-like" is the wrong way to put it. It's just that I've come across several instances of people getting borderline hostile when discussing the (IMO) various weaknesses of the game. That's where I'm coming from.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Ciaphas posted:

The actual exploration and platforming is a complete miss for me in that game, despite the beautiful audiovisual aesthetic - I've bounced straight off the game several times already. But this boss fight? This boss fight is something I could really get into, if I could be bothered to get there!

For me it was kind of the opposite. I loved the exploration and jumping about the really beautiful environments and stuff, but the game kept interrupting it with loving awful boss fights. It seemed like the bosses were designed for a slightly faster, stronger player character than the one I had, and they all had way way too much health. Just beating my head against a wall that was between me and all the really cool bits of game I wanted to look at.

It felt like yet another game where the devs wanted to make a hard game because that's cool, but totally hosed the difficulty curve and teaching mechanisms that actually allow hard games to be fun.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Oldstench posted:

OK sorry - "cult-like" is the wrong way to put it. It's just that I've come across several instances of people getting borderline hostile when discussing the (IMO) various weaknesses of the game. That's where I'm coming from.

It happens with every game but most of the time is a problem with people saying "This game is bad" instead of "i don't like it". If people say a game is bad without explaining why then people who like the game will try to defend it. If the poster explains why he thinks it's bad then it's easy to see if he really doesn't like the game or it's just one of the multiple goons with bad opinions about games in general.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cool, I guess it's only a matter of time for a P5 port. It helps that P4 was priced right for an older game, too. $20 was a steal for a it, which convinced me, and probably a host of other people, to buy it without waiting for a sale.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Oldstench posted:

It's a massively popular game, "several instances" of all kinds of takes feels like a statistical inevitability.

Also by all accounts it's a title which challenges the player in various ways, and much like with say the Souls series, those tend to have certain aspects which lead to more jagged takes between people as you have some who are purists about [punishing mechanic x] being the very irreplaceable essence of the game and non-fans who think [punishing mechanic x] is the very antithesis of fun and ruins the whole thing.

Most would land somewhere inbetween, but when you have a lot of people you also obviously get more people with extreme takes and those always tend to float to the top on the internet.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 11, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It says in North America only, world-wide it sold a lot more than 100,000 units. Persona is a pretty big and popular series these days, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

mycot posted:

Man games that abbreviate to BB are just cursed.

please tell me the bloody boobs dev isn't cancelled too.

gently caress