Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

sigher posted:

The old thread was by me:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551191

I was thinking about reviving it but the original threads never got much traction; I wouldn't mind doing it again if there's enough interest.

I'll vote for reviving it, I've enjoyed Space Engine for years but never knew there was a thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok this is cool as hell and I can definitely see a use case for VR in the future.

https://youtu.be/kiync9jFajE

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I think you should give it a shot. Between everyone being trapped inside and VR rekindling interest there might be more posts.

Luneshot posted:

I'll vote for reviving it, I've enjoyed Space Engine for years but never knew there was a thread.

Alright, well here's the thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932372

I'm going to have to mess around more in the game in VR so I can post a list of VR controls, but for anyone interested in sharing goon-taken screenshots feel free!

Isometric Bacon posted:

I've been waiting to see if they ever update that mod by adding motion controls.

I did play it, way back when, on the original Oculus DK2. I have a very fond memory of being stuck under a virtual desk, underneath my real desk, unable to move because that fucker was patrolling the hallways and I was too frozen up to move.

Sadly it looks like the author is too into MCC on PC or something to continue work, I haven't seen any updates for in since the last release which was over a year ago. :smith:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Ok this is cool as hell and I can definitely see a use case for VR in the future.

https://youtu.be/kiync9jFajE

Vive Wireless Kit uses similar tech. Having a non-proprietary solution would be nice but I don't think this is it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm happy to report that I've finally solved the latency problem. Was away for work so couldn't tinker with it, but it was a simple as connecting the ethernet cable to the dedicated router (and I still get internet without a hit to the speed). I'm now at 30ms and the difference is night and day. There is lag compared to the native quest, but it's very minimal and not janky at all.
The Longbow game (which has been my benchmark) now plays better than with link and the stock USB-2 cable and is sooo much easier.

Edit: I'm thinking I should buy Half Life Alyx now that it's on a 25% sale.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

Edit: I'm thinking I should buy Half Life Alyx now that it's on a 25% sale.

Yes you should. It’s good. It’s creepy as hell dragging zombies around lol

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

LLSix posted:

I'm slowly getting my VR legs, but I still can't play for more than a half hour with smooth movement. Has anyone gotten foot tracking locomotion working yet? Maybe that'll help.
Have a look at natural locomotion. When using it, you can move by holding one of your controller buttons and swinging your arms as if you were walking. It also support jumping in game by doing a real jump.

And if you really want to go all out, it even supports feet trackers.

And they have a free demo so you can try if it does it for you.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

MarcusSA posted:

Yes you should. It’s good. It’s creepy as hell dragging zombies around lol

I bought it. So far it's pretty drat cool and I've not even faced an enemy yet. Seeing combine soldiers in VR suddenly makes them much more intimidating.

Edit: Also giving the "battery pack" mod a go to balance and extend battery life.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 11, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kind of copycat even in the updates to the game, but hey, free content
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/hoxtxh/spin_mode_is_coming_to_synth_riders_on_july_16/

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Jeff was a right bastard in Alyx.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

doxxing is a bannable offence

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
I'm having no luck googling this so I'm hoping someone here can help - are there any VR video players that can lock the video to the center of the headset as opposed to the player being static and not moving with the head?

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Great Beer posted:

If that stopped you, I don't think you'll beat chapter 3.

Please tell me I've seen the worst after getting through the Northern Star hotel...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

General Probe posted:

I'm having no luck googling this so I'm hoping someone here can help - are there any VR video players that can lock the video to the center of the headset as opposed to the player being static and not moving with the head?

Maybe but I think you may find you really don’t actually want this, any time an app does this even for a little bit, it’s sickening, in my experience.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
It has to have at least a little 'stickiness' to it so it's not bouncing around with every minor head twitch. But I'm sure that's just as annoying as it constantly adjusts while you're watching.

I'm happy to move the screen with the controller and stick it there.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

General Probe posted:

I don't know of a specific video player app for that, but I use Desktop Portal for my overlay window purposes, and you can lock the overlay to your face so that it'll move around with your head, so if nothing else you could use a video player with a hideable GUI/window (such as Media Player Classic's "minimal" preset under View) and pin that window to your face.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Kashwashwa posted:

Please tell me I've seen the worst after getting through the Northern Star hotel...

mmmm you'll have a moment with chapter 7

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

General Probe posted:

Only one app I know of does this at all is the Netflix app when in void mode, and its such a shame. Every last media player needs to do it the way the netflix app does. The more directly you're looking at it, the slower it adjusts itself back to your view, but the further away the faster. So it you've laying back and moving your head around the little that you do, you can hardly notice it adjust itself, but if you turned and layed on your side it would slide over to meet your vision.

It works so fantastically I'll often put netflix on when i'm laying in bed watching to watch something before sleeping, even if theres nothing on netflix i want to watch, just because it works so well compared to manually adjusting the screen and having to have the controller on me. It is a constant annoyance no other player does this.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Shine posted:

I don't know of a specific video player app for that, but I use Desktop Portal for my overlay window purposes, and you can lock the overlay to your face so that it'll move around with your head, so if nothing else you could use a video player with a hideable GUI/window (such as Media Player Classic's "minimal" preset under View) and pin that window to your face.

This app did exactly what described I wanted, but i'm going to have to mess with the settings because:

Bad Munki posted:

Maybe but I think you may find you really don’t actually want this, any time an app does this even for a little bit, it’s sickening, in my experience.

This was my first experience with it, however

Tom Guycot posted:

Only one app I know of does this at all is the Netflix app when in void mode, and its such a shame. Every last media player needs to do it the way the netflix app does. The more directly you're looking at it, the slower it adjusts itself back to your view, but the further away the faster. So it you've laying back and moving your head around the little that you do, you can hardly notice it adjust itself, but if you turned and layed on your side it would slide over to meet your vision.

It works so fantastically I'll often put netflix on when i'm laying in bed watching to watch something before sleeping, even if theres nothing on netflix i want to watch, just because it works so well compared to manually adjusting the screen and having to have the controller on me. It is a constant annoyance no other player does this.

This is what I wish it were.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
After playing some Alyx and my wife getting super scared from Shattered Lights, having VD working to a satisfactory level really cemented the Quest as a great buy as we now have access to soo much more stuff, yet still have the option of wireless playing. I'm having a hard time imagining playing with a wire.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh neat, suddenly when starting my Index HMD, a second audio device shows up, that's not functional, and it gets selected, leading to no audio at all. Selecting the other one, I get audio with a shitload of crackling. What now?

--edit: Had to roll back auto-installed NVidia driver one release.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 12, 2020

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Me in half life:

Is that dead body a zombie?

Ok none of these dead bodies are OH gently caress

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I've been getting some really annoying stutter and jank in both Oculus and steamVR lately, and after almost throwing my PC through a window I made the accidental discovery that ALL of the performance issues go away if I simply de-focus the mirror output and have literally anything else open in focus. How in the gently caress does that even work?! The mirror is still rendering exactly what it was before, just with the taskbar and steamVR visible on the monitor, but the difference in Alyx was night and day in terms of smoothness.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

nightwisher posted:

I've been getting some really annoying stutter and jank in both Oculus and steamVR lately, and after almost throwing my PC through a window I made the accidental discovery that ALL of the performance issues go away if I simply de-focus the mirror output and have literally anything else open in focus. How in the gently caress does that even work?! The mirror is still rendering exactly what it was before, just with the taskbar and steamVR visible on the monitor, but the difference in Alyx was night and day in terms of smoothness.

Not VR but I noticed a similar thing happening with Control. The frame rate would half if I had both the TV and monitor on with screen mirrored. Turn the TV off and frame rate goes back to 60.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

General Probe posted:

This app did exactly what described I wanted, but i'm going to have to mess with the settings because:

This was my first experience with it, however

This is what I wish it were.

If you have a wmr headset you can make any window behave this way with the "follow me" command

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It has to have at least a little 'stickiness' to it so it's not bouncing around with every minor head twitch. But I'm sure that's just as annoying as it constantly adjusts while you're watching.

I'm happy to move the screen with the controller and stick it there.

Can't you do this in Big Screen? I haven't messed with it for a bit but I thought you could move the screen around in some of the rooms if not all of them. Pretty sure I used that to watch some movies in bed before anyway.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Brightman posted:

Can't you do this in Big Screen? I haven't messed with it for a bit but I thought you could move the screen around in some of the rooms if not all of them. Pretty sure I used that to watch some movies in bed before anyway.

You can even throw up a screen IN the theater mode to have a second screen anywhere you want as well. Heck its got lots of screen options.

If you're just low key watching movies, and doing minor desktop stuff, big screen rules.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Assuming I pick up a decent graphics card, is there any hope that a Haswell CPU won’t make me hate my life if I decide to run VRchat on a tethered Quest?

Rest of the PC is decent, lots of ram, lots of disk — I’d toss the i5 and pick up an i7 4790.. The PC itself has been powered on maybe a dozen times this year so I obviously don’t do enough gaming to warrant a whole upgrade, and I guess even a good video card and i7 upgrade would be hard to justify on an experiment, but easier to swallow than a whole refresh.

I don’t even know enough about modern gaming setups to know if that’s a stupid question or not, so :ohdear:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Finally finished my first attempt at a VR animation after ~7 months of rendering, figured I'd post it here. Youtube compression damages the quality a good deal from the 8GB version I have loaded on my Quest but it's still not too bad. If anyone wants a higher quality version I might be able to make a torrent or split it up and upload it to a file sharing site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VopvuduBZTM

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Finally finished my first attempt at a VR animation after ~7 months of rendering, figured I'd post it here. Youtube compression damages the quality a good deal from the 8GB version I have loaded on my Quest but it's still not too bad. If anyone wants a higher quality version I might be able to make a torrent or split it up and upload it to a file sharing site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VopvuduBZTM

I would be super interested in seeing the HQ version!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

hhhat posted:

Me in half life:

Ok none of these dead bodies are OH gently caress

The pistol reflex sight was a godsend for that. Sweep the room and any sleeping zombies will still have their headcrab glow.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BisbyWorl posted:

The pistol reflex sight was a godsend for that. Sweep the room and any sleeping zombies will still have their headcrab glow.

God dammit

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ephori posted:

I would be super interested in seeing the HQ version!

I think you'll need to install their app, but you should be able to download the mp4 with this link:

https://mega.nz/file/cMdQ2AjQ#xeBpiMDZyE0Nmcy8gte6K7auELu5O2U_HlgdY-NPrrQ

Not sure if there's a limit on how many people can download that and if it will drain my account but whatever. If you can't access it I'll try something else.

That's running at a max bitrate of 200MB/s which the Quest seems to play without issue, I couldn't detect any more hitching than with the 100MB/s version I tested. It's a bit hard to tell if something is jittery because the Quest is struggling to maintain smooth playback or if it's just framey from running at 30fps. Probably going to be making my next one at 60fps so hopefully that eliminates some of the issues present in this one.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Assuming I pick up a decent graphics card, is there any hope that a Haswell CPU won’t make me hate my life if I decide to run VRchat on a tethered Quest?

Rest of the PC is decent, lots of ram, lots of disk — I’d toss the i5 and pick up an i7 4790.. The PC itself has been powered on maybe a dozen times this year so I obviously don’t do enough gaming to warrant a whole upgrade, and I guess even a good video card and i7 upgrade would be hard to justify on an experiment, but easier to swallow than a whole refresh.

I don’t even know enough about modern gaming setups to know if that’s a stupid question or not, so :ohdear:

I tried using oculus link on an i5 4460/16gb ram/gtx 1050ti and it was unusable - constant tearing/stuttering on even very low settings.

Moved to a 3600x (same gpu and ram amount) and stuff is playable now, but still on low Res.

That doesn't really answer your question beyond 'you're gonna need a pretty decent graphics card either way to have things not be a blurry mess so start there', but you might need to do the cpu too.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I know this isn't really PC chat but I'm on a GTX 970 with 16 GB Ram, both of which are outdated - but also my CPU is an i5 from 2011. I've been steadily upgrading this PC in pieces but do you ever get to a point where you go gently caress it new PC time because too many pieces are the bottleneck

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I know this isn't really PC chat but I'm on a GTX 970 with 16 GB Ram, both of which are outdated - but also my CPU is an i5 from 2011. I've been steadily upgrading this PC in pieces but do you ever get to a point where you go gently caress it new PC time because too many pieces are the bottleneck

IMO you are probably getting close to that point.

Like new video card and CPU are gonna be $400 (ish) and the CPU is gonna be what like 4 gens behind?

Sure its probably gonna cost 800(?) to build a new PC but its going to last you another 8 years or so.

M2 drives and stuff are going to be the new hotness for games and stuff from what I've been reading so you'll see some good speed boosts by getting a MB with a slot for one.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I tend to do a CPU upgrade every other GPU upgrade, so my old PC was a CPU the same as yours with a 1080ti
It ran pretty much everything really, from Elite to iracing, it handled everything OK, I had 16 gb ram too, so it's pretty similar.
Because my upgrade cycle this time meant new CPU I now have a Ryzen 3900 and a 2080ti and yes it is better, but not like a night and day difference, my son has my old PC now with the CV1 and he plays Robo Recall, Lone Echo, Fallout 4 VR and other stuff with no issues at all.

If you go beyond a 1080ti the that CPU you'll see bottlenecks anyway, but if you threw a 1080 in your PC I think you'd be pleasantly surprised, I upgraded because I am a nerd, not because I had to
M.2 is nice to have and I do like it, but again it's not like a huge difference between the ones I have and an SSD

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
A new cpu is going to cost you a new mobo, which means replacing ram since your ddr3 wont work with newer mobos.

basically an upgrade now will be a new pc anyway, apart from hdd, case and power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WirelessPillow posted:

A new cpu is going to cost you a new mobo, which means replacing ram since your ddr3 wont work with newer mobos.

basically an upgrade now will be a new pc anyway, apart from hdd, case and power

Only if you buy Intel :v:.

Get a AMD Ryzen mobo and CPU if you do upgrade. You're gonna get a processor that's functionally as fast as its Intel equivalent at any model for a much cheaper price. The Intel stuff'll often have bigger numbers in benchmarking, but nothing you'd actually notice in everyday use. The CPU sockets are more standardized too, so you can actually upgrade a CPU without necessarily needing a new mobo as well.