Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'm enjoying Xanadu a little, the combat is pretty simple but fun, it reminds me a little of a simpler devil may cry, with a few persona elements and TOC3 graphics and characters, decent Falcom soundtrack too. Worth the 12$ to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I really liked Tokyo Xanadu's cast, it's well worth the 12 bux

But also play Xanadu Next if you never have, that game owns

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Xanadu is definitely worth the $12 even if the editing drops further and further off a cliff as time goes on.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Does anybody have a picture of that Japanese relationship chart from CS3 or CS4 that had like, every single woman pointed at Rean?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Apparently Bleublanc is in CS3 and I failed to notice.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
A friend of mine is playing CS3 right now while I play Sky SC and when I mentioned Bleublanc he was like "oh that guy! Yeah he shows up in this game too." So yeah he's definitely there.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I recall him being mentioned, but showing up? Not as far as I can tell. Unless he was in disguise.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
He could just be hiding in plain sight again, like how his amazing disguise in Cold Steel was just him not wars ring his mask

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I went through my screenshots and found him. He's masquerading as a quest npc and besides sending you on a fetch quest, the only hints he drops are being flamboyant and saying you look familiar. So you're not really supposed to notice.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 10, 2020

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I missed him entirely. Looking it up you can find him on the Coastal Road in Lamare, apparently on the Sunday. He is operating under the pseudonym Aleister.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Of course right after getting the Trails series on steam, someone just showed me a completely out of context scene involving a character named Shirley and a female knight in Cold Steel 3, and... uh...

... please tell me I don't have to deal with a lot of that in the Sky series

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You dont have to deal with a lot of that in Cold Steel, either. Its one off joke that is never referenced again.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

MechaX posted:

Of course right after getting the Trails series on steam, someone just showed me a completely out of context scene involving a character named Shirley and a female knight in Cold Steel 3, and... uh...

... please tell me I don't have to deal with a lot of that in the Sky series

there's another scene like it in one of the Crossbell games but aside from that, no.

it's entirely absent from the Sky games

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Speaking of Shirley, her English VA always sounds like she's talking too loud and it really adds to the bloodthirsty psycho vibe.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Little Miss Warcrimes

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
The game has a very interesting idea of what a joke is it that’s the case, but if it’s only twice across a couple hundred hours of RPG-ing, I’ll deal with it

I definitely do not like that character at all now, though

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Trails is really good at making you at least tolerate things you hate. Duvalie for example is my least favorite character archetype of them all, and I still love her a lot.

On another note, I'm playing Zero now that my burnout is over and Zero is infinitely worse at the "Protags can't win a single fight" thing than CS2 is. CS2 was a bunch of highschoolers getting beat by the strongest force on the planet. Zero is PROFESSIONAL POLICE getting beat by faceless mooks and monsters.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MechaX posted:

The game has a very interesting idea of what a joke is it that’s the case, but if it’s only twice across a couple hundred hours of RPG-ing, I’ll deal with it

I definitely do not like that character at all now, though

You're not meant to, she's a villain. An unhinged one at that.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah those Shirley bits suck, she's only in Ao and CS3 out of the first 8 games though.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

MythosDragon posted:

Trails is really good at making you at least tolerate things you hate.

I keep coming back to the fact that Sky has gotten me invested in the Estelle/Joshua romance and not hating it despite the fact they're adopted siblings. I would normally despise that in just about anything else. Between that and the fact that I like Olivier despite him being an archetype I usually find tiresome at best, Falcom's character writing can apparently get almost anything past me.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

MythosDragon posted:

Zero is PROFESSIONAL POLICE getting beat by faceless mooks and monsters.

yeah it owns

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I went through the divertissement section of CS2 again now that I've finished the crossbell games and wow everything makes so much more sense now. wonderful, wonderful context!

I plan to go through CS3 again before IV comes out but I think it's time for a long break because god I'm burnt out atm

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MythosDragon posted:

On another note, I'm playing Zero now that my burnout is over and Zero is infinitely worse at the "Protags can't win a single fight" thing than CS2 is. CS2 was a bunch of highschoolers getting beat by the strongest force on the planet. Zero is PROFESSIONAL POLICE getting beat by faceless mooks and monsters.
IMO Zero and especially Ao are the ones where this is less of an issue honestly, yeah they get shown up pretty early but that's more meant to highlight the gap between the CSPD and the Bracer Guild and the fact that the SSS are all rookies. They pretty quickly come into their own and are more able to get stuff done, helped immensely by Lloyd being just about the only competent cop besides Dudley.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You're not meant to, she's a villain. An unhinged one at that.

It's this.

Shirley is the closest thing I've seen outside of the D∴G cult and Weissman this series has to EVIL. (That I can prove. I get some upsetting vibes from Rufus sometimes.) I'm not sure how much of Shirley's character is a joke. I'm operating under my personal ongoing assumption that Duvalie turns in/after game 4, so I have to figure "The society employs people like Shirley", figures into her equation.

unimportantguy posted:

I keep coming back to the fact that Sky has gotten me invested in the Estelle/Joshua romance and not hating it despite the fact they're adopted siblings. I would normally despise that in just about anything else. Between that and the fact that I like Olivier despite him being an archetype I usually find tiresome at best, Falcom's character writing can apparently get almost anything past me.

When they were introduced to one another goes a long way to making this on the "Yeah, all right" side of the line instead of the "Oh, that's just loving gross" side that Elise can't get out of.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 10, 2020

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nate RFB posted:

IMO Zero and especially Ao are the ones where this is less of an issue honestly, yeah they get shown up pretty early but that's more meant to highlight the gap between the CSPD and the Bracer Guild and the fact that the SSS are all rookies. They pretty quickly come into their own and are more able to get stuff done, helped immensely by Lloyd being just about the only competent cop besides Dudley.

And when it's done this way it's perfectly fine. I have no problem when it's clearly used as a measuring stick of your party's progress and relative strength. I didn't really notice the issue in CS1, I noticed but was willing to ignore it in CS2, by CS3 even if it's mostly done to the new Class 7 I am burned out on it.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Nate RFB posted:

It happens at least 4 times just for fights.

Arios Prologue against a blob
Zeit Chapter 1 against dogs and goons
Estelle and Joshua Chapter 2 against a faint spamming gorilla of death
Arios Chapter 3 against a crocodile.

Being a rookie police officer is still a few tiers above being a high school student. Lloyd specifically already finished his Thors equivalent.

I think its pretty obvious to hold someone with a career to higher standards than someone who's still in school, much less when they're struggling with things that high school students never had much of an issue with.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 10, 2020

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Is talking about CSIV (w/ spoiler tags obviously) kosher ITT? I kind of want to add on to the Shirley discussion with stuff that happens there but the sensible part of my brain is telling me to hold my tongue on the game until the western release. I imagine most people wouldn't even want to read anything spoiler tagged anyway.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MythosDragon posted:

It happens at least 4 times just for fights.

Arios Prologue against a blob
Zeit Chapter 1 against dogs and goons
Estelle and Joshua Chapter 2 against a faint spamming gorilla of death
Arios Chapter 3 against a crocodile.

Being a rookie police officer is still a few tiers above being a high school student. Lloyd specifically already finished his Thors equivalent.

I think its pretty obvious to hold someone with a career to higher standards than someone who's still in school, much less when they're struggling with things that high school students never had much of an issue with.
The only ones that I feel are in spirit of the issues present in Cold Steel are the two Arios ones IMO, Zeit IS part of the SSS after all and the cadence of the Estelle/Joshua scene really doesn't make them better than the SSS, just that they got the drop on the monsters and needed a way to show off as a means of character introductions.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Bland posted:

Is talking about CSIV (w/ spoiler tags obviously) kosher ITT? I kind of want to add on to the Shirley discussion with stuff that happens there but the sensible part of my brain is telling me to hold my tongue on the game until the western release. I imagine most people wouldn't even want to read anything spoiler tagged anyway.

imo the catch-all falcom thread should be a place where you can discuss all their games, though I will be skipping your incoming spoilered post

e: I mean, up until a few months ago we didn't have access to competent english translations for the crossbell games, and it never bothered me that people were discussing the game ITT so long as unmarked spoilers weren't all over the place

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 10, 2020

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Bland posted:

CS4 Is it about the story trying to redeem her? Cause yeah, that was pretty stupid after how much how of an unhinged psycho she was in Ao.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Idkbutlike2 posted:

CS4 Is it about the story trying to redeem her? Cause yeah, that was pretty stupid after how much how of an unhinged psycho she was in Ao.

Yeah, basically. It's so irritating how the game can't just let anyone be bad, you have to be friends with everyone, even the nutjob that tried to murder a civilian in Ao. When she randomly showed up to share some 40s with Rean and Fi in one of Fi's bonding events my eyes about rolled out of my head.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Bland posted:

Yeah, basically. It's so irritating how the game can't just let anyone be bad, you have to be friends with everyone, even the nutjob that tried to murder a civilian in Ao. When she randomly showed up to share some 40s with Rean and Fi in one of Fi's bonding events my eyes about rolled out of my head.

CS4 Oh god, I forgot about that stupid bonding event. It was a bonding event, right? Yeah, it is weird how CS3 and CS4 tries to rehabilitate the image of the Red Constellation from psychotic war criminals to somewhat professional mercenaries who are even okay with working with Zephyr. It's like, Falcom, didn't you guys set Zephyr and the RC up to be bitter rivals with polarized ideologies whose bosses fought each other to the death on a whim? What are these two jaeger corps doing drinking booze and singing kumbaya at Rutger's grave? It's way too saccharine given their history..

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
Oops. Ignore this post.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Idkbutlike2 posted:

CS4 Oh god, I forgot about that stupid bonding event. It was a bonding event, right? Yeah, it is weird how CS3 and CS4 tries to rehabilitate the image of the Red Constellation from psychotic war criminals to somewhat professional mercenaries who are even okay with working with Zephyr. It's like, Falcom, didn't you guys set Zephyr and the RC up to be bitter rivals with polarized ideologies whose bosses fought each other to the death on a whim? What are these two jaeger corps doing drinking booze and singing kumbaya at Rutger's grave? It's way too saccharine given their history..

It's one of my biggest gripes with the Cold Steel series (admittedly I have many); the constant undermining of tension and stakes by having almost every single villain act pally-pally with Rean (and him, by and large, reciprocating). The series has developed a bizarre aversion to conflict

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

I experienced this exact scene about.....30mins ago hahaha. I'm loooving Zero so far, it just feels like the right amount of chill jrpg I need right now. I got TOCS2 queued up next if I'm not feeling any burnout after finishing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Bland posted:

It's one of my biggest gripes with the Cold Steel series (admittedly I have many); the constant undermining of tension and stakes by having almost every single villain act pally-pally with Rean (and him, by and large, reciprocating). The series has developed a bizarre aversion to conflict

I am playing with action figures. Some of them are good guys, some of them are bad guys. The good guys have to win, even if the bad guys make it hard for them.

What's that you say? The bad guy action figures should be destroyed because they're bad and they've done bad things? Why would I destroy my own gaddang action figures, though?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

I am playing with action figures. Some of them are good guys, some of them are bad guys. The good guys have to win, even if the bad guys make it hard for them.

What's that you say? The bad guy action figures should be destroyed because they're bad and they've done bad things? Why would I destroy my own gaddang action figures, though?
Yeah, that's the correct way to write a story.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

literally do not understand why people would want villains to die, or to be treated like irredeemable garbage. the scene where rean is just palling around with ouroboros on their airship is the best scene in the series by a mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

literally do not understand why people would want villains to die, or to be treated like irredeemable garbage. the scene where rean is just palling around with ouroboros on their airship is the best scene in the series by a mile.

I think it's a pretty valid complaint that it lowers the stakes, even if I agree with you.

I guess it does make the treatment of someone like (Sky spoilers) Weissman have more weight but the rest can feel a bit silly.