Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pmchem posted:

The only, repeat only, viable option for internet in my area is comcast cable.

I'm looking to dump cable TV but will still be using comcast internet. This presents some challenges. We'd like to keep live MSNBC, CNBC, and ESPN. Some other TV channels like VH1 (don't ask) or HGTV would also be welcome. The rest of our big screen viewing is split across streaming services such as Hulu, Prime, or Netflix. I also get NFL Redzone in the fall, which isn't available on a lot of pure streaming services (or costs a lot).

Is there a cost-effective way for us to dump cable TV? Comcast's standard+ channel package is ~$50/mo on top of bundled internet, and almost every live-TV surrogate that I see is at least that much (usually more).

I want to give less money to comcast but I don't see an obvious play here.

There is no viable alternative right now, especially if you want the main ESPN channels. With all the streaming services seeming to increase their prices while cutting out channels, cable TV appears to be the only sensible option from a cost perspective. It's why I ended up ditching streaming services and going back to an Internet+TV package from Comcast.

One thing you may want to do to reduce the added fees and "rentals" is to purchase your own devices. I have a DOCSIS 3.1 modem I purchased to avoid the monthly modem rental. I have a CableCard and an HD HomeRun PRIME for TV which gets rid of the box rental. I have a lifetime PLEX Pass, so I don't need to pay the fee for DVR services. The HomeRun device will support 3 simultaneous streams. I use the Channels app on Apple TV to watch my cable shows and the PLEX client to watch DVR stuff, however neither Channels nor PLEX will be able to tune in encrypted channels. This means no premium channels (HBO, Starz, etc...) or Bravo. You also will be unable to access On Demand that way on your TV. The only way is through their Xfinity TV app which at this time in only available on Roku and Samsung TVs. You will need to use their mobile client (phone or tablet) or your computer for premiums and On Demand.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
ESPN costs providers around $9 per month per subscriber so you’re unlikely to find any cheap packages that include it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Has anyone here used IPOP tv as a streaming service? My sister is asking (she thinks it will have the Marquee network for cubs games) but I cannot find much information on what channels they offer.

https://ipoptv.net

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Has anyone here used IPOP tv as a streaming service? My sister is asking (she thinks it will have the Marquee network for cubs games) but I cannot find much information on what channels they offer.

Looks like some scammy bullshit to me, op.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Looks like one of those hacked channel sites people put on fire sticks.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
Does anyone have experience with the HDHomeRun beta app on Roku devices? I've only been able to dig up a little bit of info about it. From the sounds of things it supports DVR playback/Live TV now? (Sounds like DVR scheduling needs to be done elsewhere, though.) Is the quality/experience tolerable?

We currently are signed up for YTTV but we very rarely watch and primarily use our PBS/Netflix subscriptions. The price hike and how little we use it has inspired me to look at other options. We would still like access to network television (for NFL/local news, etc). I feel like we could supplement OTA with temporary subscriptions for the sports that we will sometimes watch (MLB, Olympics - if that kind of stuff ever is on TV again) and pick up a decent attic-mounted antenna/Scribe Duo for ~$250. We have a Roku Ultra and our network is all hard-wired, so local bandwidth should be good.

The other option would be to use something like Channels with our iPhones/Airplay - which ultimately might end up being a little cheaper. Maybe the experience is better, too?

pocket pool fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 11, 2020

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

the HDHomerun apps are...not good.

So far in terms of best usability i've tried it's been Android TV > Kodi > Plex > HDHomerun

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

This is a pirated IPTV service. You sign up, they give you a .m3u playlist file and you put it into some IPTV app on whatever device you're using. The fact that give you access to XXX PPV channels and support is only done through Discord or Telegram is always a dead giveaway.

You're welcome to try it out (especially with these rising prices) but be aware it will unexpectedly disappear one month so only pay as you go, don't pre-pay for 2+ months in advance.

How the heck did your sister hear about this anyways? Was it through a FB or Instagram ad? That's how my mom ended up randomly buying a hacked Kodi box.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

She is a huge Cubs fan and in a Cubs forum, some guys said that this service had Marquee tv.

I knew it sounded fishy but I could not find too much info about it.

Thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

She is a huge Cubs fan and in a Cubs forum, some guys said that this service had Marquee tv.

I knew it sounded fishy but I could not find too much info about it.

Thanks!

Yeah like it’s $6.99 a month. I say do it and if they cut and run you aren’t out much and if someone else has had luck with it :shrug:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Photex posted:

the HDHomerun apps are...not good.

So far in terms of best usability i've tried it's been Android TV > Kodi > Plex > HDHomerun

Channels on AppleTV is the absolute perfect Live TV-watching suite. Not a thing is wrong with it. It even manages to use my HomePods which is something YouTube can't/won't do.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Dumb question, but if I switch from "ATT Watch TV with HBO included" to "HBO Max" will the HBO app on my Roku still work? Or will it be broken by this Roku/ATT/HBO fight?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It will still work, you just won't get any of the MAX specific content.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Its worth it for the 5/mo off on the phone bill and the jump to 100gb in tethering I guess. Thanks.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Isn't this only true for another two weeks or so? I think HBO GO is not going to work on July 31st

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

HBO Go is being discontinued. HBO Now is going to be come just HBO.

One would presume that the Roku app would just become "HBO".

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Got it. They won't support cable logins unfortunately so that won't work for me since I get it through Xfinity.

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 13, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the cable login support was always through the HBO Go product which is being discontinued. Anyone that was subscribed to Now should presumably still be able to use it.

Nothing was said definitively though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, the cable login support was always through the HBO Go product which is being discontinued. Anyone that was subscribed to Now should presumably still be able to use it.

Nothing was said definitively though.

Anyone subscribed to "Now" was already converted to "Max" on the launch date.

Source: Had "Now" account that was automatically converted.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Correct but there is no Max app on Roku or Amazon

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Legit services: apps aren't on half the platforms, constant battles between carriers and networks so you might lose channels at zero notice, still bundling things together so you have to pay through the rear end, constantly inflating prices
Pirate providers: cheap as poo poo and has thousands of channels that mostly work fine even during high demand

CEOS: WHY DO PEOPLE STILL DO PIRACY? WE DON'T GET IT!?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

fordan posted:

ESPN costs providers around $9 per month per subscriber so you’re unlikely to find any cheap packages that include it.

Imagine getting $9/mo per subscriber for the past 4 months without any sports

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Astro7x posted:

Imagine getting $9/mo per subscriber for the past 4 months without any sports

Yeah. Dish reportedly told ESPN that they weren't going to pay the subscriber fees back in April; no idea how that worked out for them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pluto has a channel dedicated to replaying old NFL games, it's pretty neat.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

FCKGW posted:

Pluto has a channel dedicated to replaying old NFL games, it's pretty neat.

Yeah between old NFL games, the American Gladiators channel, the Impact Wrestling channel, and whatever old game shows are on Buzzr and Nickelodeon Games, that's close enough to sports for me

PGA also has a network on Pluto with condensed highlights of old tournaments, but they SPOIL WHO WON IN THE SHOW TITLE. Instead of "Tiger Woods wins 2000 Masters" I'd rather they just have condensed highlights of the final round of every tournament or something.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

nm wrong thread

FuboTV is still terrible for $65 gigantic dollars, its now worse than some cable TV deals

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

The Peacock early preorder special ends today.

$29.99 for a year of Premium ($49.99 normally)
$79.99 for a year of Premium Ad Free ($99.99 normally)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grant DaNasty posted:

The Peacock early preorder special ends today.

$29.99 for a year of Premium ($49.99 normally)
$79.99 for a year of Premium Ad Free ($99.99 normally)

29.99 isn't bad but why is it so hard for these companies to list all the poo poo I can watch? I go to the site and this is literally all they tell you...

quote:

What can I watch on Peacock Premium?
More to watch. More to binge. More of what you love.

Peacock Premium features thousands of hours of iconic shows and megahit movies plus full series episodes, next day airing of current NBC hits, Peacock Originals, premier sports, exclusives and channels you can only watch on Peacock.

Also ad free isn't ad free

*Due to streaming rights, a small amount of programming
will still contain ads (Peacock channels, events and a few
shows and movies)

Edit: What the hell does this mean??

Fast & Furious
Subject to availability windows.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

They do make it a pain in the rear end to find out what you're actually paying for.

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/peacock-launch-lineup-free-streaming-premium-1234706007/

Free:

- Movies: “The Bourne Identity,” “The Bourne Supremacy,” “The Bourne Ultimatum,” “Jurassic Park,” “Jurassic Park III,” “Tully,” “Phantom Thread,” “The Interpreter,” “American Psycho,” “The Matrix,” “The Matrix Reloaded,” “The Matrix Revolutions,” “The Blair Witch Project,” “The Mummy,” “Joe,” “Fletch,” “Fletch Lives,” “The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury,” “Fear,” “Psycho,” “Do the Right Thing,” “Howard the Duck,” “Billy Elliot,” “The Birds,” “Willie,” “Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas,” “The Last House On The Left,” “I Am Ali,” “In The Name of the Father,” “Lone Ranger,” “The Hitcher,” “Law Abiding Citizen,” “The Sting,” “What Dreams May Come,” “Fried Green Tomatoes,” “One True Thing,” “Gosford Park,” “Dracula” and “Dragnet.”

- Current TV Shows: The free tier will offer new episodes of NBC current season series one week after they air including “This Is Us” and “The Blacklist” plus sample episodes of Peacock Originals.

- TV Comedies: “30 Rock,” “Parks and Recreation,” “Saturday Night Live,” “Saved by the Bell,” “Punky Brewster,” “The Johnny Carson Show,” “The Carol Burnett Show,” “Real Husbands of Hollywood” and “Everybody Hates Chris”.

- TV Dramas: “Friday Night Lights,” “Downton Abbey,” “Parenthood,” “Monk,” “Heroes,” “Psych,” “The Game,” “Suits,” “Sacred Lies,” “Royal Pains,” “Battlestar Galactica,” “Columbo,” “Hunter,” “The Rockford Files,” “Dateline,” “21 Jump Street,” “Highlander,” “Leave It To Beaver,” “Munsters” and “Murder She Wrote”

- Reality TV Series: “Below Deck,” “Southern Charm,” “Chrisley Knows Best,” “Botched,” “Flipping Out,” “Million Dollar Listing New York,” “Pawn Stars,” “Storage Wars,” “Real Housewives of Dallas,” “Jay Leno’s Garage,” “Shahs of Sunset” and “Undercover Boss”.

- Reality Competition TV Series: “Top Chef Masters,” “Hell’s Kitchen,” “Hollywood Game Night” and “American Ninja Warrior Jr.”

- Kids’ TV Series: “Kong: The Animated Series,” “Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures,” “Fievel’s American Tails” and “Woody Woodpecker”

- Spanish-Language TV Shows: “Betty en NY,” “I Love Jenni,” “Reina De Corazones,” “The Riveras,” “Preso No. 1,” “Caso Cerrado,” “El Baron,” “El Chema,” “Larrymania,” “Perro Amor,” “Mi Familia Perfecta,” “Quien es Quien,” “Victoria” and “Donde Esta Elisa”

- Sports: Live sports in the free tier include four exclusive Premier League matches on July 15, coverage of the U.S. Open Championship and Women’s Open Championships, an NFL Wild Card Playoff Game in January 2021, and select events from the upcoming Tokyo and Beijing Olympics. In addition, Peacock Free will include on-demand replays of events like Triple Crown horse races, daily highlights from NBC Sports, and hundreds of hours of sports series, documentaries and films such as Tiger Woods Chasing History, 1968, I Am Ali, Dream Team, Being Evel, Feherty, Willie, and Peacock Originals Lost Speedways and In Deep with Ryan Lochte.

Premium:

- The full catalog of Peacock Originals including “Brave New World,” “The Capture,” “Intelligence,” “Psych 2: Lassie Come Home,” DreamWorks “Where’s Waldo?” and “Cleopatra In Space,” and  “Curious George”.

- All library series including “Two and a Half Men,” “Everybody Loves Raymond,” “George Lopez,” “Jeff Foxworthy Show,” “King of Queens,” “Superstore,” “Frasier,” “Cheers,” “House,” “The Affair,” “Yellowstone,” “Law & Order,” “Law & Order: SVU,” “Ray Donovan,” “Swedish Dicks” and “American Ninja Warrior”

- Kids’ series including DreamWorks “Dragons: Riders of Berk,” “Care Bears” and “Care Bears: Welcome to Care-a-Lot”

- Movies including “Shrek,” “Lone Survivor,” “Ted,” “Identity Thief,” “Children of Men,” “Charlie Wilson’s War,” “Forgetting Sarah Marshall,” “Frankenstein,” “Kicking and Screaming,” “Larry Crowne,” and “You, Me & Dupree”

- The premium tier will also provide earlier access to programming, including next-day access to new episodes of current-season NBC shows including  “America’s Got Talent,” “Blindspot,” “Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist,” ”A Little Late with Lilly Singh,” “Saturday Night Live,” “Superstore,” “Law & Order: SVU,” “Chicago P.D.,” “Chicago Fire,” “Chicago Med,” “New Amsterdam,” “Manifest,” “The Titan Games,” “Hollywood Game Night,” “World of Dance,” “The Kelly Clarkson Show,” “Access Hollywood,” “Days of Our Lives,” “Dateline,” “NBC Nightly News” and ”Meet the Press,” and Telemundo series including “100 Días Para Enamorarnos,” “Celia,” “Cennet,” “Enemigo Intimo,” “La Doña,” “Minuto Para Ganar” and “Noticias Telemundo”

- Exclusive access to “Late Night With Seth Meyers” and “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” at 8 pm ET will only be available on Peacock Premium when the shows return to in-studio production.

- Sports: Peacock Premium will also feature access live and on demand sports programming, including more than 175 exclusive Premier League matches for the 2020-2021 season; coverage of elite cycling events like the Tour De France from Aug. 29-Sept. 20, and La Vuelta from Oct. 20-Nov. 8; and more than 100 hours of WWE content coming in August 2020 including series “WWE Untold” and “Steve Austin’s Broken Skull Sessions,” and compilations like “John Cena’s Best WrestleMania Matches”

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grant DaNasty posted:

They do make it a pain in the rear end to find out what you're actually paying for.

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/peacock-launch-lineup-free-streaming-premium-1234706007/

Thanks for this. I'm really not sure its even worth the $2.75 a month for me.

These premium movies though... oof.

quote:

- Movies including “Shrek,” “Lone Survivor,” “Ted,” “Identity Thief,” “Children of Men,” “Charlie Wilson’s War,” “Forgetting Sarah Marshall,” “Frankenstein,” “Kicking and Screaming,” “Larry Crowne,” and “You, Me & Dupree”

My S/O loves the real housewives BS and I'd totally pay for that but they only have the one season? So weird.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MarcusSA posted:

My S/O loves the real housewives BS and I'd totally pay for that but they only have the one season? So weird.

Network executives launch a half-baked streaming platform? Shocking!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Network executives launch a half-baked streaming platform? Shocking!

I know right?

If they included bravo I'd pay $5 a month no question.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's hard to know what's there until the thing actually launches. The most you miss out on is $20, but I'm sure there will be trials at first.

What is good is they are apparently launching with 4k HDR support (though haven't said on what platforms). That's more than I can say for HBO Max right now which costs over double per year.

I really would have loved to see next day streaming of Syfy stuff, but then again there not much actually ON Syfy anymore.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just found this out while trying to see if it was on Android TV. So I won't be buying the $29.99 version now.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/peacock-tv-release-date-apps-price-and-what-to-know-about-the-nbc-streaming-service

Throughout May and June, NBCUniversal announced a series of devices (the full list can be found below), and even revealed that Android and Android TV users get free Peacock Premium until Oct. 15, 2020.

In terms of app integration, Peacock TV will grace all of Apple's hardware, and it will be "fully integrated with the Apple TV App."

In summary, here's the list of where Peacock will stream on July 15:

Android
Android TV
Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD
Google Chromecast
Comcast Xfinity X1
Comcast Xfinity Flex
Apple iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
LG Smart TVs
Sony PlayStation 4
Microsoft Xbox One S and Xbox One X
Vizio SmartCast TVs
During its initial rollout Peacock is available within Comcast devices that customers already own, including X1 and Flex hardware.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

We're living in strange times when the easiest way for me watch someone's new streaming service is on my cable box, but here we are...

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Looking at the offering for Peacock, I have two questions:
1) Does this mean that shows like This is Us will be taken off of Hulu (also, have they discussed exclusivity with other services like Netflix?)

2) Is one of the paid offerings that you get to watch Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers at 8pm so you do not have to stay up? If so, my mom would totally pay for that because she loves those shows but cannot stay up all the time.

Also, no Roku app means that I do not even wonder about this.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Generally the networks continue to do whatever makes them the most money, even if it means giving exclusivity to other services. Sometimes it makes more sense to get paid billions by netflix to run the office instead of putting it on your own poo poo. It's counter-intuitive in a way because you'd think NBC poo poo goes onto NBC poo poo, but they are only launching their own service to make money and gently caress, free money is free money.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MorrisBae posted:

Yeah between old NFL games, the American Gladiators channel, the Impact Wrestling channel, and whatever old game shows are on Buzzr and Nickelodeon Games, that's close enough to sports for me

I recently discovered the American Gladiators channel. I can't figure out why on my TV I can't access it on demand, but on my phone I can view every season on demand and watch it in order.

MarcusSA posted:

29.99 isn't bad but why is it so hard for these companies to list all the poo poo I can watch? I go to the site and this is literally all they tell you...

Also ad free isn't ad free

*Due to streaming rights, a small amount of programming
will still contain ads (Peacock channels, events and a few
shows and movies)

Edit: What the hell does this mean??

Fast & Furious
Subject to availability windows.

I assume it's like Hulu where even if you get the Ad Free version, there are certain shows like Gray's Anatomy that show a single 30 second ad before the show starts. But who knows

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Peacock tried their hardest to rip off Pluto's binge channels but fell super short..they don't even have a Law & Order binge channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They also have yet to launch their Android or Android TV app and are "working on it."

Library on Peacock is pretty poo poo and I'm noticing a lot of the big name movies like "The Matrix" say they only have 16 days left to watch yet the site doesn't have an expiring category to let you know all the stuff that may be going away.

If you strip out all the Syfy original movies from the list, the movie libray would be very bare bones. Perhaps they should have waited to launch until they actually had streaming rights back to their universal catalog?