Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Yes it's indeed common.

It's been said many times already but the only statistics that will be significant is going to be to total increase in mortality, and this is where you will see how much countries have been underreporting or plainly trying to hide the truth.

It seems like the decrease in economic activity will probably lower death rates (from, like, commuting or workplace injuries I guess) as well so any uptick will be visible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Schadenboner posted:

It seems like the decrease in economic activity will probably lower death rates (from, like, commuting or workplace injuries I guess) as well so any uptick will be visible?

It was already visible at the start of the pandemic, when countries were in lockdown, so it's very likely going to be visible on yearly figures.

e: this is of course for countries were Covid was allowed to run free. When the pandemic is slowed down through adequate measures, death rates go back to normal or lower indeed.

But those numbers will be the one we can rub in Trump's face when he will try to claim US response was great.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 11, 2020

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Mithaldu posted:

I still wonder what makes the difference in mortality rate. 1.8% is preposterously low.

I suspect that a lot more american docs mark dead people as covid, based on symptoms, than israel.
Might depend on the area. I know nothing about medicine or doctors in Israel, but a common line amongst denialists here in the world's largest leper colony is that hospitals are overreporting cases in order to get more funding.

Meanwhile, sadly, nothing seems to budge the true chuds. I was hoping that once they themselves got sick or people they know died, they'd come around. But many of them just aren't. The name of the game is now to double, triple, and quadruple down. :negative:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Every heart attack listing for cause of death is kinda circular reasoning when the primary diagnostic criteria for death is "prolonged lack of heartbeat", no?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

shame on an IGA posted:

Every heart attack listing for cause of death is kinda circular reasoning when the primary diagnostic criteria for death is "prolonged lack of heartbeat", no?
Likewise, since every dead person has stopped breathing, why report "respiratory arrest"? :smug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Death from natural causes (one naturally dies when stabbed seven times in the back, thrown out a window, and left face-down in the Ankh).

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

"Injuries incompatible with life" is an odd but perfectly descriptive phrase

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
A friend works at a popular bar in a particularly fratty part of town here. The owner has been a real rear end in a top hat by not making people wear masks, distance or limiting capacity the last few weeks.

They just posted that they’ll be shutting down for the safety of their employees. I messaged her about it and she said they’ve had more than 5 cases pop up in the staff and that the owner wasn’t even going to close until the entire workforce decided together that they weren’t coming in.

Owner needs to be shot out of a cannon.

Unionize.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rolo posted:

Owners need to be shot out of a cannon.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Rolo posted:

Going to guess that the owner made sure that he was practicing social distancing and was safe.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
nvm

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Zugzwang posted:

Might depend on the area. I know nothing about medicine or doctors in Israel, but a common line amongst denialists here in the world's largest leper colony is that hospitals are overreporting cases in order to get more funding.

Meanwhile, sadly, nothing seems to budge the true chuds. I was hoping that once they themselves got sick or people they know died, they'd come around. But many of them just aren't. The name of the game is now to double, triple, and quadruple down. :negative:

I kind trust the world average and german numbers are reliable enough, tho maybe i'm biased.

Also yeah, the psychological bullshit will hopefully keep many researchers busy.

Rolo posted:

A friend works at a popular bar in a particularly fratty part of town here. The owner has been a real rear end in a top hat by not making people wear masks, distance or limiting capacity the last few weeks.

They just posted that they’ll be shutting down for the safety of their employees. I messaged her about it and she said they’ve had more than 5 cases pop up in the staff and that the owner wasn’t even going to close until the entire workforce decided together that they weren’t coming in.

Unionize.
:black101:

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Are you worried about storing your mask in your pocket? Do you think your life would be improved by a lovely plastic wallet to store your mask? Then Mask Guard may be for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnglJnbl5Hk
This costs :20bux: I have no idea what the point is, because if your pocket is full of pocket sand or old cigarette butts or whatever this thing won't even keep it clean.

The one for storing cloth masks costs 35 dollarydoos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xstak66bu90

This is a few pages back, but a ziplock bag does the same thing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'd look for one with the "Front Toward Enemy" they have on Claymore mines but:
1. I'm afraid it might get me on a list or something
2. I'm pretty sure that it would be in paint or something and would therefore be unsafe to face it inwards, towards the real enemy

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

There is a well defined process for establishing cause of death.

Coding and classification of causes of death in accordance to the ICD - Centers for Disease Control - https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/ppt/nchs2012/LI-14_MININO.pdf

It's also complicated because every death involves a sequence. Flu or influenza is a generalized category and specific and identifiable illness (like covid-19) are entered separately because their have different presentation, co-morbidities etc which are important to epidemiology and analysis.

There is specific guidance on COVID-19

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/vsrg/vsrg03-508.pdf

I wouldn't be surprised if chud-minded doctors or some states healthcare apparatus put pressure to misreport, but also once at max capacity the CoD reporting procedures likely become more fragile and/or more easily influenced too..

stump collector
May 28, 2007

butt dickus posted:

Just went to the grocery store in my red state (Kansas) and everyone had a mask on, whereas during previous visits it was around 30%. Thank you Governor Kelly!

Im a pretty big fan of Kelly. I am in Johnson county and people are extremely masked up for the most part. A teacher at my old higgh school nearly single handedly was responsible for several infections and hundreds of contact cases because their kids play sports. Pretty dumb! But they had probably under ten cases a couple weeks ago so they are still doing better than they could be.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
There's a robotics conference in Las Vegas I've been interested in, currently scheduled for the last week of October. What are the odds that, at that time, conditions would be such that traveling there would be not a terrible idea (though if it looks like they would be, the conference would probably go virtual anyway)?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Mithaldu posted:

I still wonder what makes the difference in mortality rate. 1.8% is preposterously low.

I suspect that a lot more american docs mark dead people as covid, based on symptoms, than israel.

It's because the cases is growing so quickly, deaths are going up, but the people dying caught it 3-4 weeks ago. Deaths is a lagging indicator.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cockmaster posted:

There's a robotics conference in Las Vegas I've been interested in, currently scheduled for the last week of October. What are the odds that, at that time, conditions would be such that traveling there would be not a terrible idea (though if it looks like they would be, the conference would probably go virtual anyway)?

p < 0.05

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Cockmaster posted:

Very high, we don't have this under control and don't seem willing to do another lockdown which would be required

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Rolo posted:

Unionize.

This is happening everywhere. Guaranteed there are stories from every single town in the country. I know of two restaurants that fit that description of behavior exactly here in a small city in the SW corner of Louisiana.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

The Glumslinger posted:

It's because the cases is growing so quickly, deaths are going up, but the people dying caught it 3-4 weeks ago. Deaths is a lagging indicator.

Afaik the mortality rate depends on how well the health system functions and would only be influenced by being completely overloaded.

Israel:

USA:

Italy:

Germany:

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 11, 2020

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Cockmaster posted:

Multi billion dollar sports leagues are gearing up to not have fans in arenas for the next ~1.5 years.

There is no good reason to be in enclosed areas with large numbers of people outside of emergency circumstances.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Multi billion dollar sports leagues are gearing up to not have fans in arenas for the next ~1.5 years.

There is no good reason to be in enclosed areas with large numbers of people outside of emergency circumstances.

THE EMERGENCY CIRCUMSTANCES ARE COMING FROM INSIDE THE ENCLOSED AREA WITH LARGE NUMBERS OF PEOPLE! GET OOOOUUUUTTTTT!

:ohdear:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
So how many friends has everybody lost due to people just not taking this poo poo seriously?

I'm at like six hard 'friendship cancellations, ' and a lot more question marks, right now.

So many people I thought were cool who now eschew masks, go out to bars and parties, go see movies in theaters, claim that it's a hoax, openly state they'd rather people die of covid than keep the economy closed, etc while telling me I 'shouldn't be so uptight' and that they can't believe I'd 'let politics' get in the way of a friendship.

I know a lot of my smart friends who are taking this seriously are caught in between knowing the right thing to do but also not wanting to lose these other idiot friends, but seriously - gently caress anybody not taking this seriously. Ruining the country for their own petulant little temper tantrum.

To them I say: get hosed, you absolute pieces of human poo poo.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

So how many friends has everybody lost due to people just not taking this poo poo seriously?

I'm at like six hard 'friendship cancellations, ' and a lot more question marks, right now.

So many people I thought were cool who now eschew masks, go out to bars and parties, go see movies in theaters, claim that it's a hoax, openly state they'd rather people die of covid than keep the economy closed, etc while telling me I 'shouldn't be so uptight' and that they can't believe I'd 'let politics' get in the way of a friendship.

I know a lot of my smart friends who are taking this seriously are caught in between knowing the right thing to do but also not wanting to lose these other idiot friends, but seriously - gently caress anybody not taking this seriously. Ruining the country for their own petulant little temper tantrum.

None, my friends are smart enough to take this seriously, or at minimum, not broadcast their idiocy.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

In October covid will still be happening alongside cold/flu season and hamhanded school openings. There will be people out and about coughing and sneezing without masks but it's fine because it's probably just the cold that's going around. Also trump will have declared martial law and cancelled the election, so there will be widespread protests and skirmishes in the streets between patriots and orangecoats. It's going to be a real shitshow.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

shame on an IGA posted:

I remember where people were saying that one dead protester died because of heart failure. Like of course your heart is going to fail when your internal organ reduce into mush by a massive object hitting you at 50 km/h.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Friends are good so far. My (essential) company is taking increasingly stringent measures to protect people who must be in the office (some people do lab work/manufacturing), and hell, we have a new executive who even wears a mask when he's in his office by himself just to set an example. The break area is the only place people can be maskless since you kinda gotta take it off to eat, but we took out the vast majority of the chairs to prevent congregating and there's isopropyl alcohol wipes etc. around for sanitizing tables before/after use.

Relatives are a different story. One bought a house in south Florida (lololol) and his boomer parents are heading there to help him move, then flying back home. They'll "be careful" while they're there, but I don't think it's possible to safely get in a plane that has gone anywhere near Florida. Infection rates and passenger counts in planes being what they are, seems awfully likely that you'd be packed in an enclosed environment with at least one infected person around. My parents live near these folks and I hope they stay the gently caress apart for a few weeks after returning from America's penis.

At least people largely seem to have stopped the panic-buying of essentials around here, with the possible exception of sanitizing wipes.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

THE EMERGENCY CIRCUMSTANCES ARE COMING FROM INSIDE THE ENCLOSED AREA WITH LARGE NUMBERS OF PEOPLE! GET OOOOUUUUTTTTT!

:ohdear:

Also this is 100% correct too.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

I have a good friend who I have known for many years, but every time he talks to me he mentions how, "Isn't it weird that no one knows anyone who got covid-19?" and how wearing mask is "security theatre" like how folks used to talk about TSA.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Zugzwang posted:

Friends are good so far. My (essential) company is taking increasingly stringent measures to protect people who must be in the office (some people do lab work/manufacturing), and hell, we have a new executive who even wears a mask when he's in his office by himself just to set an example. The break area is the only place people can be maskless since you kinda gotta take it off to eat, but we took out the vast majority of the chairs to prevent congregating and there's isopropyl alcohol wipes etc. around for sanitizing tables before/after use.

Relatives are a different story. One bought a house in south Florida (lololol) and his boomer parents are heading there to help him move, then flying back home. They'll "be careful" while they're there, but I don't think it's possible to safely get in a plane that has gone anywhere near Florida. Infection rates and passenger counts in planes being what they are, seems awfully likely that you'd be packed in an enclosed environment with at least one infected person around. My parents live near these folks and I hope they stay the gently caress apart for a few weeks after returning from America's penis.

At least people largely seem to have stopped the panic-buying of essentials around here, with the possible exception of sanitizing wipes.

Thankfully my immediate family is taking this very seriously as are my closest friends, but I have a lot of friends from hs and college that just don't care and will openly tell you all about it. I guess I should say they are former friends because again, you ain't my loving friend if you think like that!

My work, don't even get me started. Wife has a immune system problem so I'm wfh, but holy poo poo the office is hosed. Masks are 'mandatory' but even mgmt doesn't always wear them, and we're 'essential' in a red state so RIP most of my stupid rear end coworkers who refuse to even get a flu shot.

AgentHaiTo posted:

I have a good friend who I have known for many years, but every time he talks to me he mentions how, "Isn't it weird that no one knows anyone who got covid-19?" and how wearing mask is "security theatre" like how folks used to talk about TSA.

Yeah, I had a couple of these. They aren't my friends anymore. gently caress them.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Ordered a pizza for pick up yesterday.

Went inside and there was a a whole rear end family of like 10 eating inside, multiple people eating in there, just sitting and talking as if we don't live in a Covid hot spot. None of them wearing masks of course.

I was in there only a few minutes on the edge of the restaurant waiting for my poo poo. I swear to God I hope I don't catch this just picking up a pizza. I hate Texas.

What are my chances catching this poo poo if I was a poorly ventilated room with that many people on the edge of the room while wearing a mask?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Cockmaster posted:

As we move into the flu season it's only going to get worse. If Trump is elected again, then probably 5 years minimum before any conferences could happen. And that's being optimistic.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Philthy posted:

As we move into the flu season it's only going to get worse. If Trump is elected again, then probably 5 years minimum before any conferences could happen. And that's being optimistic.
Anti-covid measures are also anti-flu measures. For example, Australia had 229 confirmed cases of the flu this past April, while they had 18,705 in April 2019.

Of course this will depend a lot on where you are. If you live in an :2bong: OPEN 'ER UP :2bong: red state, good loving luck.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 11, 2020

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Mithaldu posted:

Afaik the mortality rate depends on how well the health system functions and would only be influenced by being completely overloaded.

snip

Using the CFR as a death rate indicator is not a good idea. The discrepancy between countries alone shows that that data is worse than useless, it's actively misleading. 15% of people who caught COVID in Italy did not die, not even close, their figures represent more that their initial spike was early on in this crisis before mass testing was being rolled out. Thus their statistics are weighted heavily by more seriously ill patients who were hospitalised, and not diluted by the large amount of people who were sick and recovered without being tested.

Most scientists lean towards an IFR of around 1%, with regional variation based on age, healthcare availability and so on. If COVID had even a 5% fatality rate, we would be seeing something completely unprecedented in history, deaths would be into the millions and tens of millions.

e: unless you're talking Black Death, but still, it would be unprecedented in a different way

Jeza fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 11, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In March when it looked like the virus would spread to four-fifths of the planet within a few months, I considered that the Shaanxi earthquake’s record for deaths in a day might be broken after four and a half centuries.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

A friend of my partner's, a surgeon, is flouting mask regulations and arguing that our synagogue should open up without requiring masks. I didn't have a very strong positive feeling about him to start with...

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Jeza posted:

Most scientists lean towards an IFR of around 1%, with regional variation based on age, healthcare availability and so on. If COVID had even a 5% fatality rate, we would be seeing something completely unprecedented in history, deaths would be into the millions and tens of millions.
We have lots of time to hit the million+ mark, sadly, and we're already at 560k confirmed worldwide cases.

If the IFR is truly 1%, then we'll hit 1 million deaths with ~1/3 of the US getting infected. Not even factoring in anywhere else in the world, just ~1/3 of the US. Which is looking...not far-fetched at this point? :smith:

WrenP-Complete posted:

A friend of my partner's, a surgeon, is flouting mask regulations and arguing that our synagogue should open up without requiring masks. I didn't have a very strong positive feeling about him to start with...
What the gently caress. This kind of stupidity should cost him his medical license. You just know this idiocy isn't limited to the mask issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

WrenP-Complete posted:

What a mitzvah, truly a mensch.... :rolleyes: