Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

Typical Tesla owner.

My roof leaks, the screen doesn’t work, the bumper is falling off, the paint has turned from purple to pink.

Great car though. God bless Tesla.

South Park should do another episode in a similar vein of the Prius episode. Except it’s just shitbox Tesla’s rolling down the road falling apart and people defending the company no matter what.

Tesla owners are the new VW owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Why are we posting people's photos here? loving weirdo

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

Typical Tesla owner.

My roof leaks, the screen doesn’t work, the bumper is falling off, the paint has turned from purple to pink.

Great car though. God bless Tesla.

South Park should do another episode in a similar vein of the Prius episode. Except it’s just shitbox Tesla’s rolling down the road falling apart and people defending the company no matter what.

We get it, you don’t like Tesla

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

Is this better or worse than Jeep owners?

MomJeans420 posted:

I think this is the bumper catching a deep puddle rather than filling up with water, is this one of the older Tesla issues or just someone being stupid?

https://twitter.com/loganjamal815/status/1281711653550198785?s=20

Yuns posted:

Picking up the Model 3 today during what is forecast to be a rainstorm. With my luck the Tesla will leak but just enough that I lose my mind and try to rationale it as condensation. Fingers crossed.

:discourse:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is this better or worse than Jeep owners?

all brand stans are the same

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Do they make Calvin peeing on a Tesla logo stickers yet? Because I’ve got a business idea.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Hdip posted:

But, I am also considering a Kia Niro EV. It's slightly smaller so that will make carrying surfboards more annoying. Those 4 inches in trunk space make a difference. I suppose I'd have to get a rack for when we take my car to the beach with my two kids under 8. Does anyone with a Niro know if even a boogie board will fit in the back with both seats up?
Niro EV owner here. I'll take a picture of my cargo area with my usual work week loadout. First how my dad and I usually set it up with a seat down to show you the amount of crap we haul, then again with the seat up.

As someone who knows nothing about surfing, what kind of surfing do you do?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

We get it, you don’t like Tesla

No man the company is so good. Not being propped up as a stock meme or given extensive tax breaks by the government to stay afloat no no no this is all high quality stuff, have you heard about autopilot? It’s a great new feature where you can shove an orange into your steering wheel and the car drives itself, wow, talking about it just makes me want to reserve a cyber truck, where’s my $100....

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 11, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Picked the Tesla Model 3 up. It looks satisfactory. Panel gaps are even. Stuff is mostly aligned well though not absolutely perfect. there is one area in which 2 panels join where one is just a bit higher than the other. Not super obviously so but you can see and feel it on close inspection. Spouse was pissed and incredulous when she found out that you need to use the touch screen in order to open the glovebox. Acceleration is excellent. Steering feels a little weird to me in standard mode.

edit: Had a weird screen going blank moment when parked on a call just now. No idea if that is a bug or a feature.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 11, 2020

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'd bet that's a fair representation of the Tesla experience. 95% of what you hear is 5% of what's happening. If you look for something, you'll probably find it, but for most people its only the stuff you'd find without looking that would raise the alarm. It reminds me of the type of people that would buy and return Nintendo 3ds' at different stores until they got one where the top LCD was from the "correct" screen manufacturer.

This is not to say that Tesla's QA is good or or even adequate. Just that: 1) as always, the extreme cases are the loudest and most circulated. 2) the typical quality is very likely "good enough" for most buyers. Maybe this reflects poorly on the buyers, but hey, their satisfaction is all that matters. The quality is definitely worse than a comparably priced Audi or Lexus or whatever people think people are cross shopping Teslas with, but I think there is a large swath of Tesla's audience for which this is the most expensive car they've ever bought, not because they can't afford it, but because the things that make other cars cost that much aren't what they're into. They could have afforded a car of that price, but they're not car people, and the differences between an IS and a Corolla were never justifiable. It's the same attitude that got people to switch from just getting whatever phone their carrier was offering as "free" that renewal cycle to willingly spending $1000 on whatever was presented to them as the newest. It's a lifestyle purchase, and feel free to debate whether or not that's a dumb thing, but it's the reason Tesla is selling these things even though other companies have cars with rain resistant paint and all the seats bolted properly. For most people, it just has to drive and exist as what their mental image of it was, and like Tesla or not, the vast majority of the cars do that much.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 11, 2020

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Yuns posted:

edit: Had a weird screen going blank moment when parked on a call just now. No idea if that is a bug or a feature.

lol welcome to the club

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

Even if GM had a totally competitive long range EV it would still struggle to sell because of a lack of charging infrastructure. Tesla isn't dominating the US EV market because of features or quality, or even range on a single charge, they are dominating because of the supercharging network.

HAhahahahahaha. No they are dominating the market because they created a trendy decent product that doubles as a cheapo go fast car. I mean yeah they've also convinced people that only they have the infrastructure and no one else does. There's very little truth to that anymore but people keep pretending it's still true.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 11, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Duck and Cover posted:

I mean yeah they've also convinced people that only they have the infrastructure and no one else does. There's very little truth to that anymore but people keep pretending it's still true.

Name another EV that displays live status of the nationwide HVDC charging network in-dash. poo poo, most of the non-Tesla charging networks can’t even do that in their individual apps, because they’re not monitored at all.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I think the point he’s trying to make is that there’s going to be a tipping point where if ev’s are going to be as ubiquitous as they say, that it will be no different than going to a gas station.

There isn’t going to be “Tesla specific” charging stations. You plug in your car and charge, so at that point who cares if you have a “live display” of charging locations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

True, but one's gonna have to happen before the other, imo. Nobody's going to build out charging density analogous to gas stations unless there are a poo poo ton of EVs, and there isn't going to be enough EVs to justify it if people can't get over their unjustified range anxiety. Nevermind the fact that going to a fast charger is a once a month (maybe) activity rather than the once a week activity that going to gas stations is. (provided home charging is available).

Duck and Cover posted:

I mean yeah they've also convinced people that only they have the infrastructure and no one else does. There's very little truth to that anymore but people keep pretending it's still true.

Truth doesn't matter, only customer perception does. "Check your map" vs "Check these three apps and look at recent check-in reviews" goes a long way for consumer confidence.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Name another EV that displays live status of the nationwide HVDC charging network in-dash. poo poo, most of the non-Tesla charging networks can’t even do that in their individual apps, because they’re not monitored at all.

Mercedes EQC. From multiple networks actually. But not all of them. And as for the user experience of plug-and-pay, Fastned in the Netherlands does that over CCS if you register and Ionity does it to the EQC and perhaps the e-Tron. All these things are very good, and obviously inspired by Tesla, but nowhere near Tesla's volume in any way, shape or form. Duck and Cover going "people keep pretending it's still true" is obviously wrong and shows obvious ignorance. It's the kind of weird baseless bluster you could describe as Trumpian gaslighting but it seems odd when he has no Trumpian power, nobody wants his favor and he has nothing to gain.

I mean, he even gets a moderate commentator doing "well actually what he really means" interpretations in Nitr0

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

RZA Encryption posted:

True, but one's gonna have to happen before the other, imo. Nobody's going to build out charging density analogous to gas stations unless there are a poo poo ton of EVs, and there isn't going to be enough EVs to justify it if people can't get over their unjustified range anxiety. Nevermind the fact that going to a fast charger is a once a month (maybe) activity rather than the once a week activity that going to gas stations is. (provided home charging is available).

Truth doesn't matter, only customer perception does. "Check your map" vs "Check these three apps and look at recent check-in reviews" goes a long way for consumer confidence.

All these things. I very rarely use the supercharger network, but having it available (and knowing that the next one is not only there, but functional during a road trip) is what allows me to have an EV as an only-car.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So hi EV thread. This thread has been rebooted once before and is still one of the worst threads in AI. It generates more reports and complaints than the entire rest of AI combined. This is not good. So lets talk about what we can do to make this thread better! Do I need to enforce no musk chat with probations? Does there need to be a rule that pointless badge making GBS threads/defense is banned unless you can actually make a well reasoned post to actually debate the topic? Just gas this thread and not allow it to ever be made again? Would it be worth it to limit future iterations of this thread to discussions of actual EV ownership and have discussions of overall brands and such in its own thread or in the new car thread?

I want to hear from ya'll. If you don't feel comfortable posting your views in the thread for others to see, you can just PM me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I guess start with what kinds of complaints are coming in.

Is it "HEY THIS GUY DOESN'T STAN MUSK" or "Yeah this person implied owning a Tesla facilitates pedophiles" or like The Sicilian bumbling in every quarter going "lol Muskailures just dropped 50k more into my TSLA portfolio riding big on that sweet 8MILLION DOLLAR PAYDAY, suck it shortrounds"?

Tesla, by nature of Musk and their recent QA difficulties, is likely to be a little divisive for a while. I don't really see a change for that any time soon.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A very good moderator timeout. To be fair to this thread, or should I say, to ask for repentance for this thread, which poo poo I cannot deny having cast parts of, Tesla is making large parts of this world lose their poo poo anyway.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

I guess start with what kinds of complaints are coming in.

Is it "HEY THIS GUY DOESN'T STAN MUSK" or "Yeah this person implied owning a Tesla facilitates pedophiles" or like The Sicilian bumbling in every quarter going "lol Muskailures just dropped 50k more into my TSLA portfolio riding big on that sweet 8MILLION DOLLAR PAYDAY, suck it shortrounds"?

Tesla, by nature of Musk and their recent QA difficulties, is likely to be a little divisive for a while. I don't really see a change for that any time soon.

The complaints are "hey, this thread is loving toxic and no discussion can happen without either side throwing poo poo" which is a very valid complaint. Also, if the sicilian is popping up in this thread, report him so I can hit him for posting in a thread he's banned from, tia.

And yeah, there's legit reasons to discuss tesla's QA issues, but that seems to be 60% of what this thread does. Except instead of discuss its mostly shitposting in either direction with a couple posts trying to actually discuss.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I would say that the thread should be restricted to talking about past/present/future concept/consumer EVs, charging infrastructure, and real world experiences with either. Talking about QA issues you have encountered is fine, posting every tweet about soft paint or autopilot crashes probably not.

Definitely disallow any sustained discussion of company stocks and CEO drama. I don't care about finances, there are threads for that for people who do. Let's just talk about cars that can plug into the wall.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I can see that. I'm guilty of it too because a few pages back Bum the Sad wouldn't shut the gently caress up about their delivery delays.

Would it help if there was an EV/Hybrid reccommendation thread and then the EV Discussion thread? I know I'd be upset if I popped in to get an opinion on an Ioniq or a Bolt and it got drowned in a sea of Teslahate.

Part of what might get the thread stuck is that EV news moves slowly. The Mach-E is probably the newest thing to be interested in, followed by the VW slate that won't be around for a few years.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 11, 2020

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Probate whoever is hitting the report button.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

So hi EV thread. This thread has been rebooted once before and is still one of the worst threads in AI. It generates more reports and complaints than the entire rest of AI combined. This is not good. So lets talk about what we can do to make this thread better! Do I need to enforce no musk chat with probations? Does there need to be a rule that pointless badge making GBS threads/defense is banned unless you can actually make a well reasoned post to actually debate the topic? Just gas this thread and not allow it to ever be made again? Would it be worth it to limit future iterations of this thread to discussions of actual EV ownership and have discussions of overall brands and such in its own thread or in the new car thread?

I want to hear from ya'll. If you don't feel comfortable posting your views in the thread for others to see, you can just PM me.

I'll start.

It's "y'all" not "ya'll"

Honestly this thread doesn't seem that bad, there are some posts making GBS threads on Tesla but thats because they're the biggest automaker in that space. The generation of reports and complaints doesn't by itself make a thread bad.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A good old school SA rule would be "Elon drama is bannable, no warning. If you're not sure what you're posting is Elon drama, it's probably Elon drama".

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You could split off a thread exclusively to quarantine Tesla/Musk shitposting, and ban discussion of Tesla in the general EV chat (i.e. I could post check out this new anodeless battery Tesla has, so we can talk about the tech, but probe anyone that Kramers in to go "it'll suck 'cause it just goes in lovely TESLAS!!!" or "it'll be awesome because it's going in Musks godmobiles!").

It's tough, because this thread has a lot of good info, it was hugely helpful to me while I was buying my Leaf, but without Tesla I'm afraid it'll die, because it'll just be Leaf owners chatting about how many bars they have left on their poorly engineered battery packs.

I'm still at 12!

Again, it's unfortunate that Tesla is both the undisputed leader in EV manufacturing in the Western Hemisphere, and a roiling shitshow of politics.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It doesn't seem to result in a lot of probations though. While across the internet there is a tendency of some Tesla fans to be a bit cultish (like getting Rich Rebuilds video removed from youtube), it seems like the Tesla fans here take everything in good stride and acknowledge their new car may have issues (a number of the posts have been from people who recently purchased a Tesla). I think QC issues come up a lot because you have a company with a flamboyant leader (he just told the SEC to suck his cock on Twitter) and a market cap that values them as being worth more than multiple other major manufacturers combined, then you add in grandiose statements by Musk like "1 million robotaxis on the road by the end of 2020" and of course people want to bring things back a little closer to reality. If this was a struggling mom and pop shop I don't think people would be nearly as interested in the various issues. People have been very open with Bolt/Volt issues etc while still thinking they're great cars.

It's almost impossible to separate Tesla from Musk but we don't have a lot of posts about the upcoming Solar City lawsuit etc in here, it does seem to mostly focus on the cars.

RZA Encryption posted:

I would say that the thread should be restricted to talking about past/present/future concept/consumer EVs, charging infrastructure, and real world experiences with either. Talking about QA issues you have encountered is fine, posting every tweet about soft paint or autopilot crashes probably not.

We don't know the rate of QC issues for Tesla, but there's a bit of a goon in the well situation where we all talk about painting in a tent, then someone in this thread gets notification that their Model Y shipped from the factory with ridiculous paint issues. I get that it can be repetitive, but it doesn't seem hypothetical and nitpicky either.

angryrobots posted:

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 11, 2020

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Elmnt80 posted:

Does there need to be a rule that pointless badge making GBS threads/defense is banned unless you can actually make a well reasoned post to actually debate the topic?

angryrobots posted:

Ola posted:

A good old school SA rule would be "Elon drama is bannable, no warning. If you're not sure what you're posting is Elon drama, it's probably Elon drama".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

RZA Encryption posted:

Definitely disallow any sustained discussion of company stocks and CEO drama. I don't care about finances, there are threads for that for people who do. Let's just talk about cars that can plug into the wall.

Yeah, honestly, just swinging one way or the other into True Believer territory or Religiously Opposed for one brand (while it's mostly Tesla, I am sure once Volkswagen starts hitting mass production of the ID.X series we'll get them for VW too) is where the thread usually gets bad. I agree that if we expunged Teslachat it'd pretty much gut the thread unfortunately as EV news can be slow, but sustained discussion of one mfg or another inevitably brings things out that way. It almost feels like trying to read EV news site comments sometimes where someone has financial interests in Tesla's success/failure.

Ola posted:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I've been reading and posting on SA for literally 20 years and can't fathom why this thread would be getting reported. What discussion is being suppressed by the regular posters? As someone who is new to EVs, I'd been discussing my EV ordering and delivery experience with some bemusement. I obviously don't hate Tesla because I bought one but I'm not a Tesla evangelist and am constantly amazed at how oddly they run things. I hadn't realized that this chat was too low S/N for this thread or is not what was intended by AI EV chat.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 11, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I reported the guy who posted somebody's pic to try and own them, because what the gently caress is that kind of creepy poo poo. Get bent

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Legit criticism or discussion of Tesla or other brands is fine but there has been a lot of shitposting. I don't really care if people like my choice of car but someone posting garbage like all "Tesla owners are idiots" is childish bullshit that should be probated. The "best car I've ever owned" poo poo is getting old too.

I don't think Elon chat ever goes anywhere productive either.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Finger Prince posted:

Tesla owners are the new Austin America owners

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Elviscat posted:

It's tough, because this thread has a lot of good info, it was hugely helpful to me while I was buying my Leaf, but without Tesla I'm afraid it'll die, because it'll just be Leaf owners chatting about how many bars they have left on their poorly engineered battery packs.

I'm still at 12!

Im still at 8! but the dealer has my car for a month!

(They didn't get off their rear end until two days before my wife left for the inlaws for a month, and I am away for site work every week until the job is done)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

There's a BMW thread, a Mercedes thread, a Mazda thread, a Jeep thread, etc. Tesla has 4 models in production, soon to increase. Time to make a Tesla thread. If it means this thread moves slower, that's fine, but it would actually be helpful instead of just tesla/anti-tesla flame wars. If people want to know about/shitpost about Teslas, they can go into the tesla thread. If they want to know if the Niro will hold a dog kennel, if they need an upgraded electrical panel for charging their Prius prime, or want to talk about the latest exciting 1000 mile vaporware render, this would still be the thread for that.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Tesla thread is a good idea. The EV thread should still include relevant Tesla news though.

And electrical questions should go to the DIY electrical thread where the majority of goon electricians post.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

angryrobots posted:

Tesla thread is a good idea. The EV thread should still include relevant Tesla news though.

And electrical questions should go to the DIY electrical thread where the majority of goon electricians post.

Can I post about Tesla solar panels here still?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
As a non EV owner I am interested in this thread to keep up on new EV/PHEV models coming out along with info/reviews from current owners. It’s been quite good for that overall!

Figure I will be getting a new vehicle in the next 2-3 years or so, and would really like to get an EV of some kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Actually yeah, having a dedicated Teslachat thread would probably be good. General EV news and various model crosstalk can go here.