Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Do you love going into a dungeon and being stung to death by subterranean bees? Grabbing treasure and running for your life? Being an rear end in a top hat to a goblin? Mapping? Join me for a delve into classic published dungeons from 1974 to today.

People have designed a whole bunch of dungeons over the years in the RPG world, and it’s time for us to try a bunch of them out! Starting with B2: Keep on the Borderlands, let’s get together to play through a mix of modern and classic dungeon crawl modules and then talk about what worked and what didn’t

Next Session: Tuesday 7/14 @ 6:30PM EST
Current Module: B2: Keep on the Borderlands

How: Voice chat, probably via Roll20
System: Into the Odd. It’s an extremely streamlined and smart D&D-like, where explaining the rules and making characters takes about 5 minutes total. Free rules available here)
Who: 4-6 players, with an emphasis on drop-in play. Show up for whichever sessions want without penalty
When: Once a week, at a date and time that will be chosen once we have a few interested players
What: Various dungeon crawl modules from across the decades, starting with the Caves of Chaos (B2)
Why: I usually run my own custom designed settings, but I have a ton of collected modules from over the years that are burning a hole in my pocket. Also, I’m working on a dungeon of my own for eventual publishing, and am hoping to do some ergonomics research on module usability

B2: Keep on the Borderlands (also known as the Caves of Chaos) is probably the most iconic D&D module ever written, originally published over 40 years ago in 1979. It (and the rest of the B line) was meant to be an introduction to new GMs into how to properly create and run open ended dungeons, and is chock full of conflicting factions that the players can attempt to Yojimbo their way through. It’s not a setting you can mindlessly hack and slash your way through, but it is one rife with opportunity for clever PC bullshit. I’m confident you’re all up to the task.

Once we’ve completed B2, we’ll try to mix it up a bunch. There are some really cool modern setting books like Scenic Dunnsmouth, which uses playing cards to help you simulate a Lovecraftian cult overrunning a remote village, A Wizard, where a classic visit to a wizard’s tower ends up being not what it seems, and Hot Spring Island, a tiny super-dense hexcrawl on a tropical island. There are other classic D&D modules, ranging from the rest of the B line, to hyper-deadly tournament dungeons like Tomb of Horrors, to mostly forgotten Judge’s Guild modules to be picked at random. There will probably even be times we just pull a wildcard and run a randomly selected One Page Dungeon. Let’s see what’s out there, what’s good, and what’s weird!

Anyone who wants to is welcome to play, regardless of experience level. Just let me know beforehand by posting here or PMing me!

OtspIII fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

--Reserved Post For Additional Info--

Feel free to roll up a character now, if you're interested. Chargen rules are available here. All you need is your name, hp, three core stats, your starting items, and a one-sentence description of who the character is.

Optional Tweak: if your rolled stats suck you can flip them. Just take every stat and subtract it from 21 to get your new stat. So, if you have Str: 6, Dex: 11, Wis: 9 you would end up with Str: 15, Dex: 10, Wis: 12. Make sure you do this before you get your item kit, though.

OtspIII fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 10, 2020

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

I'm in, unless the schedules don't align.

Donar has 2 things he trusts, his pistol, and his cigars. He used to trust his whip, but then he lost an eye.

Attributes Attribute Roll: 3#3d6 8 5 8
Going to use the reverse rules here (and swap my Will and Dex rolls):
Strength: 13
Dex: 13
Will: 16

Hit Points: 4Hit Points: 1d6 4

Pistol (1d6)
Whip (1d6)
Cigars

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah why not.

Attributes https://orokos.com/roll/824412: 3#3d6 12 6 10

Strength: 12
Dex: 6
Willpower: 10

Hit Points: https://orokos.com/roll/824413 1d6 1

Mace (1d6)
Throwing Knives
Arcanum

Arcanum: https://orokos.com/roll/824417: 1d208

8: Pain Sign: Target must pass a wil save or
lose d6 str.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 11, 2020

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Mykkel posted:

Donar has 2 things he trusts, his pistol, and his cigars. He used to trust his whip, but then he lost an eye.

I love this detail. I see he hasn't switched weapons, though.

ChaseSP posted:

Yeah why not.

Looking good!

Okay, so I also have a few people interested from off the forums! That means it's time to nail down dates and times.

From people I've talked to so far, Tuesday seems like the best fit, with Tuesday as a somewhat distant second choice. Probably 6:30PM EST, aiming for around 3 hours of playtime. Does that work for you two?

Oh, and since not everyone is going to have access to the Discord I'll do Zoom for audio, if people are okay with that. I have a pro account from teaching, and this is reasonably within my line of study, so we shouldn't have to deal with the horrible time limit the free version has

OtspIII fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 11, 2020

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

I can do this Tuesday at 6:30 I think. How frequent are you thinking of going? I have another obligation every other Tuesday.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

OtspIII posted:

I love this detail. I see he hasn't switched weapons, though.

I expect at some point in the story, Donar will look at someone and say, "Why'd you make me use the whip?"

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Alright, I have 4 people who have confirmed for 7/14 6:30PM EST, another 2 who have said they're interested but haven't confirmed they're available on that date, and 1 who's interested but won't be able to join for a few weeks. That's enough for me to nail down 7/14 as the date of our first session!

I've been brushing up on the module and it's pretty weird! There's a lot of cool stuff that I'm excited for people to discover!

Mykkel posted:

I can do this Tuesday at 6:30 I think. How frequent are you thinking of going? I have another obligation every other Tuesday.

That's somewhat up to the group--I'm defaulting to weekly, but once we have the starting group all together in voice chat we can feel out what's best for everyone. I bet we can figure something out

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Roll20 Link is live here: https://app.roll20.net/join/6780478/QoHrWA

We'll get set up on voice stuff using Roll20 as a launch point.

See you all tomorrow!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Good luck! I'm really excited to see how things go.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

So I've had a killer day at my job. I'm not going to be able to make the session, my apologies.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

No worries! We'll see you next time

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Session one was a blast! The team got horribly into debt via gambling in the Keep, then set out and got into a huge bloodbath with countless orcs. The brave heroes were eventually forced to flee, chased by 7 orcs, but were beset simultaneously by a gang of 6 hobgoblins. They sprinted to refuge in a random cave entrance and fell painfully into a hidden pit trap, which closed behind them, hiding them from their pursuers. Unable to find their human quarry, their pursuers turned on each other (attracting the wrath of kobolds and giant rats in the process), and the PCs nursed their wounds while listening to a great bloodbath taking place above their heads. The session ended with them still trapped in the pit, now seemingly at the mercy of the kobolds.

All in all, an above averagely successful delve! The next session is scheduled for the usual time, Tuesday 7/21 at 6:30PM EST. See you there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Actually, I'm going to pull the plug on this for now. Calling the next game off