Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

I'm not sure where anyone is getting the argument of "kill all antagonists" from. All I want is for the game to treat it's own stakes with even a modicum of respect. Like maybe the people that are trying to advance a plan to genocide a country and bring ruin to the entire world shouldn't be treated like your drinking buddies that you have a minor difference in ideology with. God knows there's no shortage of non-antagonist characters in the cast that can be used to bring moments of levity.

Bland fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think Sky also handled it better with regards to Richard, who starts SC in prison and is only given a chance at having a civilian life again after putting his life on the line to protect the royal family.

Meanwhile after Azure Arios is back to his regular Bracer duties apparently with as far as we know zero delay following KeA's rescue despite being complicit in numerous civilian and CGF deaths, and of course hiding Guy's murderer for years.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

Yeah, that's the correct way to write a story.

The issue isn't "kill all baddies," it's "i want to write a story about wars and complicated issues but only grampy Tim will die because otherwise it'll be sad." Only the good guys see any repercussions for their actions, it feels like, and that's loving bizarre. I feel like the series can't decide if I should dislike the villains or think they are infinitely cooler than the people trying to keep any sort of peace. I will concede Bleublanc, but I also don't remember him having a reputation as someone who just wants to beat up and kill people. You are fighting killers, people whose job it is to murder for money, and in one scene you have people talking about how awful it is to be one and in a ton of others these mercs are the strongest and coolest and they can punch your robot to death, probably.

Prisons exist. You don't HAVE to kill the bad guys. But jesus, take some of them out of the game. They eclipse your party at every turn and never see any comeuppance. I mean hell, in hindsight I'm still shocked with what happened to Weissman. That poo poo wouldn't fly in Cold Steel, I say.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I agree with both Nate and Endorph.

Being pals with the bad guys is awesome, but if they want to be redeemed, punish the poo poo out of them. Though obviously not prison, how about putting kick me onto their backs, an "I did something wrong" board around their necks, and have them wear a pig snout for a few months.

It's pretty obvious that Ouroboros has a greater good plan though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I go back and forth on it. There are days where it doesn't bother me, and there are others when I'm just scratching my head wondering why the hell would you write in a civil war in the first place.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Everyone is redeemable, even for literal war crimes. That's why Obito is the coolest guy ever.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Because it was already mentioned before you had to do the jump to 3D is probably the correct answer. CS is absolutely amazing at 3D, but It probably would have been hard for them to get everything down while also putting the games out in a timely manner to keep the cash flowing.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Shinjobi posted:

I go back and forth on it. There are days where it doesn't bother me, and there are others when I'm just scratching my head wondering why the hell would you write in a civil war in the first place.

There's definitely a dissonance between the stories Falcom want to tell and the tone they want to establish. It's not like having a team of antagonists that are jovial rascals is an inherently bad idea, but just keep things relatively light-hearted if you're going to do that. You can't have it both ways.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Punishment does nothing to dissuade further crimes and thinking so is a symptom of the american imperialist psyche.

Jokes aside I definitely agree that the series should be willing to at least cut a few characters loose every now and then, its a little too in love with its characters, but at the same time after decades of JRPGs and anime and such that kill off characters literally at the most interesting point in their arcs (how often have you seen a villain be redeemed, go through a big shift in their thinking, then get killed off five minutes later in a heroic sacrifice?) I'd much rather this. And it's not like the series is giving you a false bill of goods, its always been this way. The whole point is that every single person in the game has their own story, goals, and path in life - their own trail, as it were. The NPCs don't have frequently updating dialogue just for kicks, its to help that theme. This includes the antagonists, but its obviously hard to express that in a video game where most antagonistic forces are met with combat without fifteen cutaways to them (whichd get equally tiring and feel equally juvenile), hence palling around with them in downtime scenes.

Like there's maybe three villains total who are treated like typical antagonists in the whole series, and heck, even Osborne gets tons of backstory dumps and scenes where hes interacting with people in a relatively normal way, and Weissman practically gets more screentime in 3rd than he does in 2nd, plus has his backstory expanded on.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

One of my favorite weird tonal villain moments is at the end of CS3 when Osborne blows up Olivier's airship and you get shots of all the other villains wincing like they don't think that was a good thing to do. These are the same villains who are at that moment trying to help summon an evil god who will plunge the world into violence and chaos.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 12, 2020

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

It's just occurred to me that (III+IV spoilers) Cedric is actually my favourite antagonist in these games because he's just such a little loving poo poo to the party that I'm always hyped to dunk on him. It's one of the few occasions where you get to knock someone down a peg and it's acknowledged, it's genuinely refreshing.

Bland fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 12, 2020

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Bland posted:

It's just occurred to me that (III+IV spoilers) Cedric is actually my favourite antagonist in these games because he's just such a little loving poo poo that I'm always hyped to dunk on. It's genuinely refreshing

I hate this post.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

MythosDragon posted:

I hate this post.

In my defence that's more a statement on how I feel about all the other antagonists.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
(CS3 and CS4) I actually think Rufus is my favorite CS antagonist. The dude is a jaded rear end in a top hat from a woefully corrupt and adulterous family who stopped giving a poo poo ages ago and is on Mr. Ishmelga's Wild Ride just to see how much him, Osborne, and Alberich can upend Erebonia and the rest of Zemuria. In that regard, I think he displays the most agency of any antagonist in the arc and is subject to neither all the curse-related nonsense nor Ouroboros' nebulous plans.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Idkbutlike2 posted:

(CS3 and CS4) I actually think Rufus is my favorite CS antagonist. The dude is a jaded rear end in a top hat from a woefully corrupt and adulterous family who stopped giving a poo poo ages ago and is on Mr. Ishmelga's Wild Ride just to see how much him, Osborne, and Alberich can upend Erebonia and the rest of Zemuria. In that regard, I think he displays the most agency of any antagonist in the arc and is subject to neither all the curse-related nonsense nor Ouroboros' nebulous plans.

I hate this post too.

So I guess I agree, cuz I want to turbo dunk on both these nerds and never see them again.

Osborne is my favorite, the man legitimately terrifies me and the entire series basically exists as buildup for him, regardless of his reasons for doing anything.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 12, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really hope CSIV is better than CSIII because man CSIII lost me on so much stuff.

I am a huge sucker for redeemed villains so I don't mind that too much but it does feel weird to me how much of a pass people get for some things. This isn't even just on the villain side though, even on the 'good guy' side nobody appears able to hold a grudge for more than ten minutes. There is very little room for conflict among the protagonists even in the way that Jusis and Machias had in the first game. I don't want constant sniping or anything but Ash stood out because he was willing to be an rear end in a top hat sometimes but in a way that often made sense. I am absolutely okay with characters redeeming themselves or changing their nature but I want to genuinely feel like there is some sense of who they are in their responses to violence. Jaegers are supposed to be these feared mercenaries who are considered dangerous and ruthless but most of the time they seem to shrink away from the idea of violent acts in any way more serious than "maybe knock someone down", even when someone else is committing them.

It also undercuts the plot because there is supposed to be this idea that Erebonia is unnatural in this nature but honestly everyone there is insanely chill and calm 90% of the time, even the people who are fighting each other. This stands out a lot compared to CS1 and CS2 where you genuinely had more of a sense of anger from people who have been wronged or feel they have been wronged. The game feels frightened of making any character possibly unsympathetic unless they are a cackling madman and sometimes even that is an act. No, Georg, no matter how many times you say it it's super frigging obvious that you didn't kill Angelica, to the point even the characters are aware of it, and they're either going to find her locked up or she'll be wearing an Evil Mask like Crow was for a bit.

The massive undercutting of New Class VII really sucks. In theory they are a fantastic group for the upcoming events A Crossbell native struggling to preserve her identity in the wake of a conquest, a failed royal guard who finds himself in direct conflict with his prince, a literal weapon being used by the enemies, a secret mastermind working her own plan behind the scenes and the third survivor of the country's hidden atrocity are excellent choices for a group that finds themselves in conflict with the nation around them but they basically don't get any time to shine in the game. And *two* of them being kidnapped and rendered unconscious before the endgame really blows.

The repetition of plot twists also kind of hurts the game because it becomes clear how often they're going back to the same well. Half the cast has Evil Brothers/Fathers/Cousins/Whatever and Oh it turns out Alisa's dad was also alive and also evil the whole time, in fact he's best friends with Rean's also secret evil secret dad. made my eyes roll out of my head. It isn't just that plot beat though but the same archetypes repeated over and over to the point the game itself calls them out.

Also honestly everything CSIII does with romance is really weird and offputting. It soft-retcons Rean making any choice of a love interest in the previous game so instead Rean is written as having a Just This Side Of Romantic Relationship with pretty much any female character he meets but also none of them can confirm anything so you get weird half-scenes like that. That is in addition to the Rean Lust Field that makes 99% of the women in the cast want to jump his bones. In addition holy loving poo poo Cold Steel can you stop implying A) Incest/Psuedo-Incest and B) Significant age gap relationships involving teenagers are fun and charming? Especially if you can't give the characters any other personality due to your plot bloat. Elise and Agate suffer the most for this but it happens to so many characters it's bewildering. Jusis and Millium being Maybe Sibling Maybe Not?? was super gross especially because I didn't even read it that way until a character asked Rean about it.

Joshua and Estelle had some weird stuff but it helped that it was actually written in such a way that it was believable and both characters were in the same age range and the plot actually focused around them growing closer and bonding. CSIII just feels like someone has a very very specific fetish and wants to make sure it is included as often as possible. CSIII somehow felt more uncomfortably horny that the previous games, between all of that, Musse's gimmick, weird poo poo like the guy who demanded the female cast members step on him, and Shirley straight-up assaulting Duvalle. It's never exactly been a tame franchise in that regards but because everyone has so much less screentime the gimmicks overtake the personality. (Angelica suffers from this super hard)

I'm sure I'm kind of softballing some of CS1 and 2's issues here but honestly they held my engagement and attention really well, while CS3 just felt like a mess. I am really hoping that since CSIV is apparently the last game in the series that it really does resolve things in a better way. :smith:

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
I mean, compared to all other antagonists in CS4, those two and Osborne are part of a handful whose character writing wasn't a dumpster fire in that game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ImpAtom posted:

Jaegers are supposed to be these feared mercenaries who are considered dangerous and ruthless but most of the time they seem to shrink away from the idea of violent acts in any way more serious than "maybe knock someone down", even when someone else is committing them.
You haven't played Zero/Azure, right? I do wonder if to a certain extent they retooled their portrayal in Cold Steel after how malevolent they are there.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I really hope CSIV is better than CSIII because man CSIII lost me on so much stuff.

I am a huge sucker for redeemed villains so I don't mind that too much but it does feel weird to me how much of a pass people get for some things. This isn't even just on the villain side though, even on the 'good guy' side nobody appears able to hold a grudge for more than ten minutes. There is very little room for conflict among the protagonists even in the way that Jusis and Machias had in the first game. I don't want constant sniping or anything but Ash stood out because he was willing to be an rear end in a top hat sometimes but in a way that often made sense. I am absolutely okay with characters redeeming themselves or changing their nature but I want to genuinely feel like there is some sense of who they are in their responses to violence. Jaegers are supposed to be these feared mercenaries who are considered dangerous and ruthless but most of the time they seem to shrink away from the idea of violent acts in any way more serious than "maybe knock someone down", even when someone else is committing them.

It also undercuts the plot because there is supposed to be this idea that Erebonia is unnatural in this nature but honestly everyone there is insanely chill and calm 90% of the time, even the people who are fighting each other. This stands out a lot compared to CS1 and CS2 where you genuinely had more of a sense of anger from people who have been wronged or feel they have been wronged. The game feels frightened of making any character possibly unsympathetic unless they are a cackling madman and sometimes even that is an act. No, Georg, no matter how many times you say it it's super frigging obvious that you didn't kill Angelica, to the point even the characters are aware of it, and they're either going to find her locked up or she'll be wearing an Evil Mask like Crow was for a bit.

The massive undercutting of New Class VII really sucks. In theory they are a fantastic group for the upcoming events A Crossbell native struggling to preserve her identity in the wake of a conquest, a failed royal guard who finds himself in direct conflict with his prince, a literal weapon being used by the enemies, a secret mastermind working her own plan behind the scenes and the third survivor of the country's hidden atrocity are excellent choices for a group that finds themselves in conflict with the nation around them but they basically don't get any time to shine in the game. And *two* of them being kidnapped and rendered unconscious before the endgame really blows.

The repetition of plot twists also kind of hurts the game because it becomes clear how often they're going back to the same well. Half the cast has Evil Brothers/Fathers/Cousins/Whatever and Oh it turns out Alisa's dad was also alive and also evil the whole time, in fact he's best friends with Rean's also secret evil secret dad. made my eyes roll out of my head. It isn't just that plot beat though but the same archetypes repeated over and over to the point the game itself calls them out.

Also honestly everything CSIII does with romance is really weird and offputting. It soft-retcons Rean making any choice of a love interest in the previous game so instead Rean is written as having a Just This Side Of Romantic Relationship with pretty much any female character he meets but also none of them can confirm anything so you get weird half-scenes like that. That is in addition to the Rean Lust Field that makes 99% of the women in the cast want to jump his bones. In addition holy loving poo poo Cold Steel can you stop implying A) Incest/Psuedo-Incest and B) Significant age gap relationships involving teenagers are fun and charming? Especially if you can't give the characters any other personality due to your plot bloat. Elise and Agate suffer the most for this but it happens to so many characters it's bewildering. Jusis and Millium being Maybe Sibling Maybe Not?? was super gross especially because I didn't even read it that way until a character asked Rean about it.

Joshua and Estelle had some weird stuff but it helped that it was actually written in such a way that it was believable and both characters were in the same age range and the plot actually focused around them growing closer and bonding. CSIII just feels like someone has a very very specific fetish and wants to make sure it is included as often as possible. CSIII somehow felt more uncomfortably horny that the previous games, between all of that, Musse's gimmick, weird poo poo like the guy who demanded the female cast members step on him, and Shirley straight-up assaulting Duvalle. It's never exactly been a tame franchise in that regards but because everyone has so much less screentime the gimmicks overtake the personality. (Angelica suffers from this super hard)

I'm sure I'm kind of softballing some of CS1 and 2's issues here but honestly they held my engagement and attention really well, while CS3 just felt like a mess. I am really hoping that since CSIV is apparently the last game in the series that it really does resolve things in a better way. :smith:

just quoting to say I agree with all of this. from what I heard, CS4 is even worse tho, so that's something to look forward to. I really feel that sky handled it much much better. cold steel at this point is a drat soap opera. "remember this character who's dead? actually they're alive and evil!" it's happened like 50 times at this point. wouldn't be surprised if in cs4 it turns out otto the market manager was the real big bad guy.

@endorph, I just totally disagree with your ideas on how the antagonists are dealt with. There are no consequences to anything at all in CS, especially compared with Sky. by the end of Sky 2, 5/6 of the ouroborous members are out of commission / dead, and it really contributes to the feeling that your party actually accomplished something and changed the world, whereas changing them into villains of the week totally took away any sense of build up in CS. At CS at this point it's been 3 games and the only people to face any consequences are some random rear end nobles nobody cares about.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

I experienced this exact scene about.....30mins ago hahaha. I'm loooving Zero so far, it just feels like the right amount of chill jrpg I need right now. I got TOCS2 queued up next if I'm not feeling any burnout after finishing.

Zero is probably my favorite of the games in the series.

I agree with all of this; New Class 7 being good and interesting just makes things even worse (I like Ashe a lot in particular). And Cold Steel in general goes way too far with the harem stuff. Zero/Ao have a male protagonist with some love interests, but it's within reason and doesn't reach the completely ludicrous levels of the CS games (and Randy, the other male party member, has his own love interest). I'm pretty sure that the number women in love with Rean is in the double digits and encompasses quite possibly literally every prominent female character under the age of 30 who isn't one of the members of the Sky/Crossbell parties. I'm struggling to think of a single exception to this.

In general I feel like the CS games started to lean heavily into fan-service, and because it likely improved their sales numbers I really doubt the trend is going to stop. CS4 is considerably worse in the ways you mention - CS3 at least gives a pretty decent amount of focus to the new class 7 folks, and I really liked Yuna as a new second protagonist. I also really liked Randy having a somewhat prominent supporting role. These good elements kind of make the bad stuff feel even worse, because you can easily imagine how the game could be much better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

You haven't played Zero/Azure, right? I do wonder if to a certain extent they retooled their portrayal in Cold Steel after how malevolent they are there.

Yeah, I really want to but haven't yet. (Well and cs3 spoiled most of the plot points) but that is a bit disappointing.

And if CS4 is worse that is super disappointing.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Trails... is a superhero story

The stakes keep getting higher and higher but the writers won't let anyone get killed off because they know people like almost everyone

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

The only thing worse than not killing anyone off, is killing people off badly. And well, that's 90% of it, so I take minimal issue with avoiding it like the plague. Trails hasn't fallen there yet, but eventually it will if it does it often, and character's like Cassius will be the most likely sacrifice, and I'm not letting go of that Mustache. Plus CS was hinting at reviving the dead from CS1, so its not really an issue. Just gotta retire some of the characters that won't have much of any role in the future, like Elliot when Rean isnt the protag anymore. Imagine the poor artist of the final final game and having to draw 500 designs if they really keep this up.

I know I'm a broken record but it keeps being brought up, I find Crossbell to be a lot worse with its harem aspects than Cold Steel is. Rean is just a desirable dude who happens to be famous and a professional counselor, barring like Alisa under the Nord sky, he's never just ended up straight confessing to a girl..... Like Lloyd has done to Rixia, Ellie, Tio, Fran, and Noel in half of Zero while having vague feelings for Cecile. Randy offered to teach Lloyd pickup lines when I took him to Chapter 3's finale, and the girls reacted like he was trying to start the apocalypse, and I dont blame them, Lloyd's Falcom Gakuen portrayal where he hits on a spaceship is almost entirely canon. I also have a friend who's going through Ao and sent me a screenshot that says Lloyd rubbed sunscreen on 4 or 5 of the girls, and so far CS has never gone anywhere near that. On the number aspect, well, Rean travels across a huge country rather than stays in a single town, so it checks out. Bonding did ruin the chances for others to develop romantic relationships, but to be fair, Gaius X Linde is the best potential ship I see, so I don't think it effected too much.

Also did anyone here seriously want High schoolers to consistently beat Ouroboros? Cuz that'd just annoy me. Sky's cast is mostly bracers, several of which are high ranking and thus capable professionals, with backstories with those snakes too, so winning made sense. Cops are also professionals and thus have higher standards, Half of the 6 people I know in the SSS are basically dead weight when it comes to comparing to combat specialists, but 2 of the others can make up the slack so it'll be a reasonable win if they fight people like Walter and Renne, but like Mcburn? Lol no.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I just beat CS3 and holy loving poo poo that cliffhanger.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MythosDragon posted:

Also did anyone here seriously want High schoolers to consistently beat Ouroboros? Cuz that'd just annoy me. Sky's cast is mostly bracers, several of which are high ranking and thus capable professionals, with backstories with those snakes too, so winning made sense. Cops are also professionals and thus have higher standards, Half of the 6 people I know in the SSS are basically dead weight when it comes to comparing to combat specialists, but 2 of the others can make up the slack so it'll be a reasonable win if they fight people like Walter and Renne, but like Mcburn? Lol no.

If I have to fight _____ multiple times throughout the games and my fights have absolutely no bearing on the following cutscene, don't actually make me go through the fights. You fight McBurn twice in CS2, with both fights being thrown away due to whatever followed by super duper cool cutscene, and then it happens again in CS3 but at least the super duper cool cutscene is typically a party member telling you to go on ahead. Why am I fighting this dude at all if I will never, ever, ever, ever come even close to beating him? Stop wasting gameplay on unsatisfying crap.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

If I have to fight _____ multiple times throughout the games and my fights have absolutely no bearing on the following cutscene, don't actually make me go through the fights. You fight McBurn twice in CS2, with both fights being thrown away due to whatever followed by super duper cool cutscene, and then it happens again in CS3 but at least the super duper cool cutscene is typically a party member telling you to go on ahead. Why am I fighting this dude at all if I will never, ever, ever, ever come even close to beating him? Stop wasting gameplay on unsatisfying crap.

Honestly it would just be nice if a boss fight felt like it had any impact on the enemy. It feels like no matter how much drama and buildup and how tough the enemy is supposed to be post-fight your characters are always breathing heavily while the villain seems entirely unharmed and snarks about maybe getting serious.

Like they don't need to die but it would be really nice to see them on the wrong foot for once? Maybe forced to retreat in a panic or realizing they are overwhelmed and need to back off or... really anything but standing there smirking before they teleport away.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
God I can't imagine how utterly unsatisfying it'd be to have no bosses at the end of CS2.

Or if the towers in Sky were just four dungeons and four cutscenes.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

God, yeah. Imagine if the end of CS2 was unsatisfying. Scary thought.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I really want to but haven't yet. (Well and cs3 spoiled most of the plot points) but that is a bit disappointing.
FWIW I was in the exact situation where I had played CS3, then moved on to Zero/Azure, and they still wound up being my favorite Trails games by a significant margin. I honestly think it's less of an issue for having played CS1/CS2 first but the Crossbell chapter in CS3 did take the wind out of my sails a little bit in Azure when the relevant twists happen.

MythosDragon posted:

Cops are also professionals and thus have higher standards, Half of the 6 people I know in the SSS are basically dead weight when it comes to comparing to combat specialists, but 2 of the others can make up the slack so it'll be a reasonable win if they fight people like Walter and Renne, but like Mcburn? Lol no.
The SSS straight up beat Arianrhod. Like no caveats, knee hits the mat. It's also probably the hardest boss fight in the franchise and if you lose the story does move on, but you absolutely can do it.

MythosDragon posted:

I know I'm a broken record but it keeps being brought up, I find Crossbell to be a lot worse with its harem aspects than Cold Steel is. Rean is just a desirable dude who happens to be famous and a professional counselor, barring like Alisa under the Nord sky, he's never just ended up straight confessing to a girl..... Like Lloyd has done to Rixia, Ellie, Tio, Fran, and Noel in half of Zero while having vague feelings for Cecile. Randy offered to teach Lloyd pickup lines when I took him to Chapter 3's finale, and the girls reacted like he was trying to start the apocalypse, and I dont blame them, Lloyd's Falcom Gakuen portrayal where he hits on a spaceship is almost entirely canon. I also have a friend who's going through Ao and sent me a screenshot that says Lloyd rubbed sunscreen on 4 or 5 of the girls, and so far CS has never gone anywhere near that. On the number aspect, well, Rean travels across a huge country rather than stays in a single town, so it checks out. Bonding did ruin the chances for others to develop romantic relationships, but to be fair, Gaius X Linde is the best potential ship I see, so I don't think it effected too much.
Did you just, exorcise the Ymir onsen story beat from CS2 or how the entire freaking game opens up re: Rean/Alisa?

IMO it's perfectly fine to have harem hijinx, they can be funny. With Crossbell I think it toes the line of being more endearing than anything else because Lloyd is largely unaware and because of the smaller cast size it's more believable that someone like him would get closer to the female cast. I also think that Crossbell gives a little bit more nuance to its development from the bonds, there are some that wind up feeling rather platonic and the more romantic ones (well, mostly Elie) fell like natural extensions of the story proper.

With Cold Steel there are so many more options and it winds up feeling watered down and unfocused, and some relationships that I just don't think the story puts in the legwork to make land as believable in the first place.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 12, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't mind the Rean harem stuff in CS1/2, CS3 got a bit goofy with it. That said I think the games would be stronger if they had just gone with Alisa and Towa as the only romance options. They're clearly the only two they have any interest in taking seriously. That way you could dedicate some time to actual alternate scenes depending on who you're with, and CS3 could have even opened with a bioware-esque 'which one did you date again' kind of question.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

and CS3 could have even opened with a bioware-esque 'which one did you date again' kind of question.
I wanted the scene from Witcher 3, shot for shot.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ao definitely asked "hey uh which one did you pick?" so it's not like it's a new idea for the series.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cyouni posted:

God I can't imagine how utterly unsatisfying it'd be to have no bosses at the end of CS2.

Or if the towers in Sky were just four dungeons and four cutscenes.

There is payoff in Sky, though. You get better, and you beat people. Yeah, there is one antagonist who is the coolest ever and super strong and he comes back at the last second to do a cool thing, but they don't try to deny that you beat his poo poo in. Cold Steel the only progress you see is

1)This fight was a waste of time
2)This fight was kinda interesting but still nothing serious
3)I am still holding back but now my enemy power boner is beginning to go wild

They have denied you any semblance of "drat, y'all got me" with the exception of Duvalie--oh wait, nevermind, they immediately handwave her loss away with her having run from another country and she's kinda tired. Cool, thanks, what am I even doing here?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I will say that at least CS3 tells you up front if the boss battle is unwinnable by making the 'win' condition explicitly only reducing them to 70% or 40% health, so you don't try and hail mary through your inventory to scrape out a win only to get instakilled.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
As far as TCGs go Vantage Masters is pretty brain dead, but because I'm wary that the game might throw some bullshit at me are there any specific cards I should have in my deck when I deal with Rutger?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Blyx is OP pls nerf

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BearDrivingTruck posted:

As far as TCGs go Vantage Masters is pretty brain dead, but because I'm wary that the game might throw some bullshit at me are there any specific cards I should have in my deck when I deal with Rutger?

If you're worried, he gives you the option to play with a replica of his own deck, so there's no advantage. Also a double spoiler I guess if you're really worried: he loses on purpose, although not if you throw the game yourself.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Tesseraction posted:

If you're worried, he gives you the option to play with a replica of his own deck, so there's no advantage. Also a double spoiler I guess if you're really worried: he loses on purpose, although not if you throw the game yourself.

Don't you have to use your own deck for max AP?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

I don't mind the Rean harem stuff in CS1/2, CS3 got a bit goofy with it. That said I think the games would be stronger if they had just gone with Alisa and Towa as the only romance options. They're clearly the only two they have any interest in taking seriously. That way you could dedicate some time to actual alternate scenes depending on who you're with, and CS3 could have even opened with a bioware-esque 'which one did you date again' kind of question.

Honestly I would add Emma to that list. She isn't as blunt as Alisa and Towa but all of her scenes with Rean are significantly more blunt than most of the others. Her max bonding scene with Rean is really obvious.

Otherwise yeah. It would be way less obnoxious if it wasn't everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I actually totally agree with making it just towa or alisa. Beyond that, I think the biggest problem in cs is the enormous cast of main characters. they're simply not good enough writers to pull it off. They're recycling tropes within the same game. horny guy with a dark past, extremely horny lesbian who doesn't respect boundaries, person you thought was dead but is now back and evil. Smaller casts give them the ability to focus more and actually give depth to characters. I'm not saying have a meteor hit and wipe out 2/3rds of the cast (although that would be pretty funny) but it's just ridiculous at this point.

Perfect example (cs3 middleish) that train scene where claire says rean's like her brother and that makes him sexy and sarah says reans like her dad and that makes him sexy and they all kiss was so absurd almost to the point of parody. I've watched literal porno premises that are more subtle than that.