Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Grandia's voice acting isn't good per se, but it is for the most part pretty spirited and charming. A ton of the attack barks are still drilled into my head over twenty years after I first played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

multijoe posted:

Grandia's voice acting isn't good per se, but it is for the most part pretty spirited and charming. A ton of the attack barks are still drilled into my head over twenty years after I first played it.
I haven't played Grandia, but I feel the same about the sequel.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Which is a shame. WA1 was great, and the western setting is both unique for games and has loads of style.
The music, especially the main theme, is doing a HUGE amount of heavy lifting on the "western setting" in 1, iirc.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
WA1 has some really nice spritework. The 3D is really, really rough but I have such a soft spot for that game. Even though the models suck they really tried to do things with the lighting in battles and I thought that was the coolest thing. For my money, it's one of the better games of the generation, jank aside.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wild arms 1 is the least overtly western-styled but that mostly manifests in having a couple more castles and slightly more jrpg-esque locales, at most its setting is pretty much the twilight years of the standard idea of medieval fantasy and its story deals with otherworldly science fantasy monsters in a similar way to how the later games do

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I loved the poo poo out of the first three Wild ARMS games, then never actually played the others.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

star ocean 2

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Commander Keene posted:

I haven't played Grandia, but I feel the same about the sequel.

SKYE TAKE FLIGHT

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

multijoe posted:

Yeah say what you will about the quality of the VA but it definitely hits the 90's saturday morning anime nail right on the head

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

jimmydalad posted:

My gosh, Grandia’s voice acting is really... something. I guess it’s a symptom of early JRPG localisation but man it’s rough but hilarious. Not Chaos Wars level though.
I sincerely love it. Sue especially has some really good delivery, and it reminds me of cheaply dubbed cartoons in a very good way. Really fits the entire kids show vibe the game has going.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zereth posted:

The music, especially the main theme, is doing a HUGE amount of heavy lifting on the "western setting" in 1, iirc.

No denying that. The music definitely hits those notes. It helps when the world map theme is lifted straight from ecstasy of gold.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kirbysuperstar posted:

SKYE TAKE FLIGHT

this but lunar games for me. say what you will about working designs' management but their VAs were great

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wd didn't work on any grandia games though...

i wouldn't say anything negative in particular about wd's vas themselves but their direction sucked

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Having Ghaleon guzzle a bunch of milk so he sounded extra throaty for his death scene was good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the problem is that they had to direct voice acting for games other than lunar and it turns out they did not know how to direct voice acting for games other than lunar

what works for a goofy jrpg doesn't work so well for a weird contemplative rail shooter, and still doesn't really work for a goofy jrpg with a villain who's supposed to actually be nuanced if you just direct him the same as a goofy hammy bad guy

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Absolutely

It was fine for Popful Mail I guess but uh, most everything else..

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

free hubcaps posted:

star ocean 2

I think this was the first JRPG I ever played :allears:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

bentacos posted:

I loved the poo poo out of the first three Wild ARMS games, then never actually played the others.

Yeah, i forgot to make a big effort post review on 3 when I went through them earlier, but janky translation of 2 aside I really love WA 1-3. WA1 occupies a very large space of the nostalgia center of my brain and I could probably never get tired of it.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Kind of all three! Mostly the first though. CS1 had a massive cliffhanger but before it came a sense that you reached the end of a story and there was just another one starting. CS3 is effectively entirely buildup but with zero satisfaction, including a last boss which feels entirely perfunctory.

I knew it was going to have a To Be Continued but it's like ending Empire Strikes Back when Luke gets his hand cut off instead of after they escape from Cloud City. I don't mind the ending being a bit of a downer but I'd like if it was an actual ending.

lol, I think its by far the worst part of the game. Even worse than you said. Like ending in between vader saying I am and your father. There's cliffhangers and then theres ending the story mid final conflict with no resolution at all.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
My first ever JRPG I remember playing was Final Fantasy X-2. It is little wonder I turned out to be gay.

In other news, I’m loving Grandia. I’ve learned to really enjoy the cheesy voice acting and it has this childlike, earnest enthusiasm and joy that I’m not sure games have really been able to capture recently. Also, the battle system is great and I’m surprised how much I enjoy the Final Fantasy 2-ish method of using spells and weapons to level them up. It’s making me widen my pool of spells that I would use that I’d normally ignore. Stuff like Yawn for Sue would be things I’d normally pass over in other games but in this game it’s invaluable for levelling alone.

I’m not sure Grandia 2 will be as good, but I’ve really been surprised by the gem that is Grandia.

Though Feena teasing/possibly being flirty with Justin is giving me a mixture of “awww” and “ewww” because I can’t tell Feena’s age and I’m hoping it’s not a pedo thing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

There's only a year between them

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Grandia 1 is the pinnacle of the JRPG :colbert:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's only a year between them

Ok, awesome. I enjoy Feena and her interactions with Justin. Honestly, the main cast is pretty good so far. Not sure how I feel about the 3 female stooges.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

jimmydalad posted:

I’m not sure Grandia 2 will be as good, but I’ve really been surprised by the gem that is Grandia.

Grandia II is roughly as good as the first game. I prefer the first but I think a lot of people prefer the second. It's basically more of the same. Some things are done better in I and some are done better in II.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think Grandia has the more charming cast and scenario, but Grandia 2 has a better combat system and the story is still a fun romp. 8f you want a fun 90s jrpg adventure you can't go too far wrong with either one imo

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I can't decide if I like DQ11 or not...I think I'm mainly playing for the cute enemy designs and fun (if variable quality) voice acting. I just finished Galliopolis and I hope the actual gameplay becomes a bit more challenging/interesting. This is my first DQ game so I don't really know what to expect.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chas McGill posted:

I can't decide if I like DQ11 or not...I think I'm mainly playing for the cute enemy designs and fun (if variable quality) voice acting. I just finished Galliopolis and I hope the actual gameplay becomes a bit more challenging/interesting. This is my first DQ game so I don't really know what to expect.

It doesn't. The game is really easy and even if you have hard mode on, it's still mechanically the same except the numbers are much bigger. iirc the switch version changed how many bosses get 3 actions per turn on hard mode to try and remove some of the RNG of just have someone die in a single boss turn.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i recommend having your entire party on auto (yes even hero) if you don't already. it's a pretty chill time running through the game that way. the battles don't ever become particularly interesting besides some bosses.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Atelier Meruru is so good. I feel kinda bad with how I bounce off Totori so much when Totori's my fave protag, but luckily she's a big feature in the game even if it's just to carry your rear end in battle.

I think I'm gonna miss the games with deadlines. Lydie and Suelle is nice and all but it gates all the good stuff with DLC, while in Meruru, you can actually achieve good equipment just by exploring. Anyway, I just really like this game!!

edit: oh wait nevermind this is the worst game why doesn't this keep track of endings when totori does

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 13, 2020

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I picked up Breath of Fire 4 on the PS3 store and the game is such a delight :allears:

Look at these pixels

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
BoF4 is very good. They don't make sprite work like that anymore and it makes me sad

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man those are gorgeous.

I don't think I've ever played a breath of fire game, is there any particular one that I should start with? I think there's one on the snes switch thing..

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

WaltherFeng posted:

BoF4 is very good. They don't make sprite work like that anymore and it makes me sad

You can really tell the difference between professional sprite work and indie spritework.

Quality pixel art is very few and far in-between these days.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Man those are gorgeous.

I don't think I've ever played a breath of fire game, is there any particular one that I should start with? I think there's one on the snes switch thing..

just bof4 and maybe dragon quarter, for the love of god don’t subject yourself to any others

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Man those are gorgeous.

I think 1 and 2 are both on their online subscription. They're both good games, but both products of their time. 2's translation is near nonsense at times though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

just bof4 and maybe dragon quarter, for the love of god don’t subject yourself to any others

3 is better than Dragon Quarter :colbert:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Man those are gorgeous.

The SNES ones are dinosaurs with constant random encounters and minimal fetchquesty plots, unless you're a real fan of that era they're hard to recommend.

BoF3 is the first one worth playing now imo, its a little slow and still has a lot of fighting but its the first one with a coherent plot and the 2D sprites / 3D environments still look pretty nice.

BoF4 is a classic, its still got a bit of a meandering pace but the plot goes places and graphically it really is late-era PSX firing on all cylinders. If you were only going to play one Id definitely make it this one.

There's also Dragon Quarter on the PS2 but thats a huge departure from the tone and aesthetics of the other games, being a post apocalyptic dungeon crawler in a subterranean labyrinth with a permanent corruption meter that kills you when it reaches 100% and a NG+ system designed around dying multiple times before you can reach the true ending. Its not a bad game on its own terms but it really isn't a 'breath of fire' game outside of being able to turn into a dragon

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean. there's plenty of great pixel art these days. comparing 90s capcom sprite artists to indie devs is like comparing metal slug to contra, yeah one of them looks insanely better than the other but these were also made by collectives of sprite artists so talented that the fact they all got assembled to make what they did in itself is incredible and even lots of other examples of games with great sprite work in the same era can barely match up

and then capcom just kinda splintered them all immediately in the 6th gen while all of the members of nazca vanished into the night rip

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think 1 and 2 are both on their online subscription. They're both good games, but both products of their time. 2's translation is near nonsense at times though.
do not play breath of fire 2 snes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The Colonel posted:

i mean. there's plenty of great pixel art these days. comparing 90s capcom sprite artists to indie devs is like comparing metal slug to contra, yeah one of them looks insanely better than the other but these were also made by collectives of sprite artists so talented that the fact they all got assembled to make what they did in itself is incredible and even lots of other examples of games with great sprite work in the same era can barely match up

Exactly. Big budget pixel art doesn't exist anymore. Indie devs can make something that looks great, but typically once they have a sizable budget they move to hand drawn.