Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Anybody else watch Terrace House? It's on Netflix and there are about 5 million episodes of it and I've been watching it to help me fall asleep. Something about the mostly pleasant conversations in a language that I do not understand is so soothing. Also sometimes you see hilarious poo poo like the guy that cried when people ate his meat (beef). Overall I approve of this mild and slightly quirky television series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

im gonna check it out thanks dix

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I only know of this from the ProZD sketch, which I will edit into this post once I find it

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1LNrzr8JzM
is this accurate?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Also I guess it may never come back, i just found out from the tviv thread on japanese shows that apparently one of the former cast members committed suicide, partially because of lovely people on social media. So that sucks for many reasons!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Cubone posted:

I only know of this from the ProZD sketch, which I will edit into this post once I find it

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1LNrzr8JzM
is this accurate?

Haha yeah that's pretty much accurate. Now i have the theme stuck in my head lol

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dixville posted:

Also I guess it may never come back, i just found out from the tviv thread on japanese shows that apparently one of the former cast members committed suicide, partially because of lovely people on social media. So that sucks for many reasons!

that’s how i learned of the show’s existence

kinda killed my enthusiasm to watch

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Dixville posted:

She was loving amazing, and when it all happened, it was a serious gut punch. I adored the show, but after hearing about how much producer manipulation there is and online poo poo the people living in the house, I just don't think I can watch it anymore even if it does come back.

All that said, if you're gonna watch it, you must go through all the hoops necessary to watch the first version of the show, because there will never be a group that rad.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

SamBishop posted:

She was loving amazing, and when it all happened, it was a serious gut punch. I adored the show, but after hearing about how much producer manipulation there is and online poo poo the people living in the house, I just don't think I can watch it anymore even if it does come back.

All that said, if you're gonna watch it, you must go through all the hoops necessary to watch the first version of the show, because there will never be a group that rad.

what kind of manipulation? i've seen every terrace house season but never went into online fan stuff about it

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

R.L. Stine posted:

what kind of manipulation? i've seen every terrace house season but never went into online fan stuff about it

I'd imagine the typical reality tv thing where there's both heavy editing, people specifically selected to have friction, and coaching so segments make for better tv. Then you have a fanbase that watches and thinks that's the real people and in this case harass the people from the show.
Like how people used to threaten and were mean to the actress who played Skylar on Breaking Bad, only slightly less insane because the audience is sold on 'this is really this person, and they did bad things to these other people you've never met, but your brain thinks are your friends'

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

prefer Gurovu Hausu

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Insulated kaidan*

*Translator's note: kaidan means stairs

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

R.L. Stine posted:

In the past couple of weeks, Hana's mom has started to share some of the text messages that she'd sent and conversations that happened in the days leading up to her suicide, and has formally lodged a complaint against Fuji TV and Netflix with the BPO. The whole "costume incident" thing was entirely manufactured, to the point where the producers were telling her to slip Kai, and she ended up knocking off his hat instead.

Kai, too, has said that the producers were trying to goad him into doing some pretty messed up stuff like grabbing Hana's boobs when they were on that trampoline date, which he refused to do.

This is in addition to some past cast members like Lauren Tsai explaining how the shooting schedule worked where they were told not to talk to the other housemates when the cameras weren't around so they'd have stuff to film.

Basically the whole "there is no script" intro is a lie, and it sounds like it was really heavy-handed this season - possibly because it was just, frankly, a pretty boring season for the most part. It's too bad, too, because it did seem like it was potentially going to turn around once that surfer dude showed up. That seems to be the key to pulling a season out of a rut: just bring in a chill surf dude.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

SamBishop posted:

That seems to be the key to pulling a season out of a rut: just bring in a chill surf dude.

Guy is the all-time Terrace House MVP, slightly edging out even Seina. The Aloha State season was very watchable and enjoyable from the moment he arrived until the moment he left, and absolute trash at all other points.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Anyway, I’ve been watching through the new season at a leisurely pace and just arrived at the episode where the girl who ends up killing herself comes in. She seems really charming; it’s very sad.

2020 was really a cursed season, between the suicide, Tokui having to leave the panel in disgrace because of his tax evasion, and having to shut down production because of Corona.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm not watching this racist show

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

General Dog posted:

Guy is the all-time Terrace House MVP, slightly edging out even Seina. The Aloha State season was very watchable and enjoyable from the moment he arrived until the moment he left, and absolute trash at all other points.

Anyway, I’ve been watching through the new season at a leisurely pace and just arrived at the episode where the girl who ends up killing herself comes in. She seems really charming; it’s very sad.

2020 was really a cursed season, between the suicide, Tokui having to leave the panel in disgrace because of his tax evasion, and having to shut down production because of Corona.

Seina is the nuclear option, brought in when even a surfer can't fix things, and she's still my favorite just because of how much drat fun she is (and she seems capable of dishing out really thoughtful advice when she's not slamming bottles of wine), but yeah, Guy was the one bright spot in Aloha State. It helped that he seemed pretty talented too, and whenever there was competition footage, it meant getting to hear that goofy cover of Santeria, so hey.

This season was just insanely weird. Once Tokui had to leave, a major dynamic that kept the panel from getting a little too mean-spirited was lost. It's crazy to think how much he contributed to the heart of the show, and without him and You doing their long-winded re-enactments, a lot of the panel reactions were just lacking.

It's a shame this show ended the way it did. It was such a fixture for so many years for my roommate and I, and even if it did come back, I just can't in good conscience watch it anymore. It doesn't help that there's really nothing else like it out there to scratch the same itch.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't know why they chose to start two seasons in a row with an absolutely clueless baby boy who nobody likes in the cast (talking about Yuudai in OND and Ruka in 2020). They're dead on arrival as romantic interests, which contributes to house-wide stagnation on that front, and while they do generate some drama, it's not compelling, it's just annoying.

I do think there's a good chance Ruka was playing up his own weirdness to some extent (either on his own or at the producers' behest) just for screen time, but even so it was a tiresome, flimsy gimmick. (I know, turn on my monitor, etc.)

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

SamBishop posted:

In the past couple of weeks, Hana's mom has started to share some of the text messages that she'd sent and conversations that happened in the days leading up to her suicide, and has formally lodged a complaint against Fuji TV and Netflix with the BPO. The whole "costume incident" thing was entirely manufactured, to the point where the producers were telling her to slip Kai, and she ended up knocking off his hat instead.

Kai, too, has said that the producers were trying to goad him into doing some pretty messed up stuff like grabbing Hana's boobs when they were on that trampoline date, which he refused to do.

This is in addition to some past cast members like Lauren Tsai explaining how the shooting schedule worked where they were told not to talk to the other housemates when the cameras weren't around so they'd have stuff to film.

Basically the whole "there is no script" intro is a lie, and it sounds like it was really heavy-handed this season - possibly because it was just, frankly, a pretty boring season for the most part. It's too bad, too, because it did seem like it was potentially going to turn around once that surfer dude showed up. That seems to be the key to pulling a season out of a rut: just bring in a chill surf dude.

that's hosed up lol. I wonder if the meat incident was real

Han-san 4 life

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

R.L. Stine posted:

that's hosed up lol. I wonder if the meat incident was real

Han-san 4 life

My theory is that the Meat Crime was real and happened organically, and that the producers have been pulling strings trying to re-capture the magic of that moment ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The edit they gave ukulele virgin guy from Aloha State was one of the cruelest, funniest things I've ever seen.