Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rinkles posted:

holding an event in the middle of a scandal is gonna be kinda uh... uncomfortable

2020 is one big scandal, there are no good timings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

RichterIX posted:

I finished tlou2 last night and idly wandered into the subreddit for the game because I hate myself and hoo boy, I don't think there's a single positive post in there or even any discussion of the game, it's 100% just "Neil Cuckmann" memes and nitpicky missing the forest for the trees bullshit. I don't think the game was perfect but it was really good and to see people "Last Jedi" it is a bummer.

The r/thelastofus subreddit is actually pretty positive. I think you went to the one titled thelastofus2 which yeah is a hate Reddit

Ps The Last of Us 2 and Last Jedi both rule

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I legit don’t trust anyone who doesn’t like Last Jedi

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Escobarbarian posted:

I think the frustrating thing for me was the perception that "it just undoes everything from the Force Awakens". Watching them back to back it's incredible how much of a direct sequel it is that builds upon everything from TFA to actually make an exciting sequel that isn't just a retread. The "undoes" are just exciting, and good thematic twists.

Meanwhile the one after, TROS is the one that actually retcons and insultingly ignores everything in the precious movie

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Escobarbarian posted:

What if I am simply unaffected by it?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Rinkles posted:

holding an event in the middle of a scandal is gonna be kinda uh... uncomfortable

I don't know why they don't just cancel it and release a statement along the lines of we're having a conversation right now blah blah blah.
The timing and circumstances are a hundred times worse than anything even Blizzard could pull off.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They're doing what we on the internet call "posting through it"

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I don't know why they don't just cancel it and release a statement along the lines of we're having a conversation right now blah blah blah.
The timing and circumstances are a hundred times worse than anything even Blizzard could pull off.

https://youtu.be/ZkKBjeWWDcU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TLJ was loving terrible, much like basically anything that holds the Star Wars name that isn’t one of the 3 actual Star Wars movies, a 90’s video game, or Rogue One, the one Star Wars offshoot thing that amazingly wasn’t bad (but SW fans didn’t like for some reason because they’re super dumb)

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

About how much longer do I have left of the main story in Days Gone if I'm a few missions into the Crater Lake militia group? I have TLOU2 coming in the mail sometime this week so that's going to take precedence, but I'd like to to wrap up the story of Days Gone before moving on if at all possible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

TLJ was loving terrible, much like basically anything that holds the Star Wars name that isn’t one of the 3 actual Star Wars movies, a 90’s video game, or Rogue One, the one Star Wars offshoot thing that amazingly wasn’t bad (but SW fans didn’t like for some reason because they’re super dumb)

It’s because Rogue One has incredibly boring and lovely characters with no personality, hth

It looks nice though

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I think the frustrating thing for me was the perception that "it just undoes everything from the Force Awakens". Watching them back to back it's incredible how much of a direct sequel it is that builds upon everything from TFA to actually make an exciting sequel that isn't just a retread. The "undoes" are just exciting, and good thematic twists.

Meanwhile the one after, TROS is the one that actually retcons and insultingly ignores everything in the precious movie

TROS is an tediously-draining film experience to sit through, and one of a rare few movies I don't think I could ever bring myself to sit through again. JJ is not subtle with the retcons either with things like Luke's lightsabre being somehow restored, or Rey's Parents going from "actually nobody and just assholes" back to "they became nobodies to hide themselves like TFA hinted at, woooOOOOooohhh, mYSTerY booOoooXXxx", to the point it's downright petty rather than in service of the story. It's also just brutally unfunny and predictable throughout; Oh no, there's simply no way R2 keeps a backup of 3PO's memory. Who's up for wacky "I've never done THIS before" and "Who are you?!" cliche amnesia jokes for half an hour?

Oh no, Chewie!.... was on the other transport, instead of providing a practical lesson in the dangers of tapping into the Dark Side of the Force to achieve your means... :nallears:

Evil Canadian posted:

Shadow of the tomb raider is a very solid game, but yeah the plot is... not great.

Like what was even the point of Trinity going around the world doing all their stuff, when the whole point was to reshape the world with this mayan stuff? Why send teams to Siberia if that's your endgame? How does someone born in a lost to time hidden primitive village become the leader of a global illuminati group?
Also they kill all the lead trinity people off camera in the end in a throwaway piece of dialogue near the end.

Tomb raider Trilogy are fantastic games, but the story is def the weakest aspect. That said Shadow kinda finishes with a clean break from that stuff, so whatever comes in the future can start fresh at least.

A lot of Shadow of the Tomb Raider reads like the developer are just loving done making those games. Half the upgrades are just flat purchases, and the ending just powers through both murking the Trinity council and taking out Konstantin ignominiously by a secondary character before Lara can get any actual revenge or closure. Just so she can get to that final boss quicker and get the goddamn game over with once and for all.

"There, she's in her study, has defeated Trinity and officially the Tomb Raider. We're done, you're done, we're out. PEACE :flip:"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

star war bad

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
new controller issue: first I thought it was a bad micro USB cable, but my other controllers don't have this problem. When I connect the controller for charging, it lights up yellow but almost immediately dims. I have to spend a minute or more setting the angle just right for it to keep charging, and it seems to be getting worse each day.

I know micro USB can be finicky, but I hope it's not permanently damaged. This was the DS4 that was in the best condition; only one without stick drift.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Star Wars has a higher power level than Jiren, the last post on the internet before the sun explodes and kills us all will be about Star Wars.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

veni veni veni posted:

Fallen Order and The Mandalorian were both very good tho

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I liked Journey to the Savage Planet a whole lot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SirSamVimes posted:

Fallen Order and The Mandalorian were both very good tho

Fallen Order is just aggressively okay for me. The combat badly needs a rework, because it has some very bad habits like enemies snap-pivoting to turn at you while mid-windup on special attacks rather than letting you actually dodge properly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

veni veni veni posted:

The Christmas Special was incredibly underrated, I agree.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Rinkles posted:

new controller issue: first I thought it was a bad micro USB cable, but my other controllers don't have this problem. When I connect the controller for charging, it lights up yellow but almost immediately dims. I have to spend a minute or more setting the angle just right for it to keep charging, and it seems to be getting worse each day.

I know micro USB can be finicky, but I hope it's not permanently damaged. This was the DS4 that was in the best condition; only one without stick drift.

MicroUSB is so poo poo, I've had a lot of devices over the years with bad microusb slots, especially mobile phones. Both my galaxy s 2 and 3 had microusb slots that failed to charge within a year; I haven't touched samsung phones ever since. My first PS4 controller had the exact same issue. Had a USB wifi receiver with the issue some years ago. The list goes on. So now whenever the latest and greatest gimmicks come out and they use microusb, I cringe a little.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Started chapter 6 of Death Stranding last night, I swear I saw it coming form a mile that they would take Lou off me at some point and I don't know know if it was just perfect timing or what but I almost reached out grasping toward the screen saying No Deadman you monster!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Started chapter 6 of Death Stranding last night, I swear I saw it coming form a mile that they would take Lou off me at some point and I don't know know if it was just perfect timing or what but I almost reached out grasping toward the screen saying No Deadman you monster!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjvjmpKmMUc

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Star wars is bad but last jedi was the only one that tried to do something different by someone who understood the name and noted we didnt need the rehash bullshit and not wank off fans and thus the only good one in 30 odd years.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah and the fan base absolutely hated it lmao

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah and the fan base absolutely hated it lmao

Of course. They’re star war fans, which is not part of living a happy life.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Vikar Jerome posted:

Star wars is bad but last jedi was the only one that tried to do something different by someone who understood the name and noted we didnt need the rehash bullshit and not wank off fans and thus the only good one in 30 odd years.

Only in the most superficial sense because everything was just reset to Rebels vs. Empire, forever. Dialogue does not define action, you have to look at the story The Last Jedi told, and what it told was the same narrative we've seen in every other movie.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
only saw the first of the 2 most recent star warses and didnt see the 3rd cause the first 2 were so bad. the first is just stupid callbacks and shoehorning in characters and poo poo to rehash stories from 40 years ago. the second tried to subvert and deconstruct star wars but in the laziest and shittiest ways imaginable. since this is the video games forum, the best piece of star wars media is KOTOR 2 because it actually subverts player expectations through the story and deconstructs and exposes contradictions in a lot of the star wars mythology but in a way which is consistent with the films and other media and makes those other stories more interesting. KOTOR 2 is terrific however, it is not available on the Sony Playstation 4 video game console unfortunately.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Can’t wait for Ghosts of Tsushima to come out to get rid of everyone racing in here with their opinion of popular IP of the week.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rise of Skywalker is legit worse the prequels. Maybe not worse than Clones but 100% worse than Revenge of the Sith, debatably worse than Phantom Menace.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's time to accept that Star Wars was never very good. Empire was okay.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rad Valtar posted:

Can’t wait for Ghosts of Tsushima to come out to get rid of everyone racing in here with their opinion of popular IP of the week.

can you BELIEVE the voice acting in this subquest??

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

can you BELIEVE the voice acting in this subquest??

People kept making fun of the English Sekiro VA and I'm like... wait people play the game about Samurai and Shinobi, set in 1500s Japan, with default Japanese VA in a language other than Japanese

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

People kept making fun of the English Sekiro VA and I'm like... wait people play the game about Samurai and Shinobi, set in 1500s Japan, with default Japanese VA in a language other than Japanese

some people like to understand the words that are being said without needing to read subtitles

I like foreign language subbed movies, but for some reason in games it doesn't work for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rad Valtar posted:

Better than lovely movie chat

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

It's time to accept that Star Wars was never very good. Empire was okay.

I can watch the old trilogy even with its faults but I'm not THAT bored to watch the prequels and surely the new ones felt all 'eeeeeeh' for me. The three years I've been slowly watching a lot of Star Trek and while it has a lot of filler episodes, the wider scope with the different series and characters make up for at least an interesting watch.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s ok everyone, the shittiness of the movies can’t hurt you anymore, we have Mando and Baby Yoda now, that is Star Wars now, Star Wars fine.... shhhhhh that’s a good baby

Star Wars, much like the Lord of the Rings, was a very cool and special property 40 years ago and proceeded to age very poorly the more modern sensibilities we apply to it and the longer we look at it the more fascist, racist, and classist it becomes.

I’m stoked for Sushi Ghost! I’m gonna beat TLG this week and probably work through the intro on my HZD playthrough while I wait for it.

I started Shadow of War on Brutal and while it is certainly fun to zoom around Middle-Earth just being a douche-bag mind-control demon... I have never had a game pull my pants down and shame me so hard. I must’ve ambushed, surprised, assassinated, or murdered by a spear thrown from off-screen 2-dozen times before I realized “Oh I have to play through the story missions before I am strong enough to do anything or fight anyone.” I think my 1st Nemesis was level 23 when I was level 3 leaving the first zone.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

SirSamVimes posted:

some people like to understand the words that are being said without needing to read subtitles

I like foreign language subbed movies, but for some reason in games it doesn't work for me.

I put subtitles on in games even with the english audio track cuz I can read the dialogue a lot quicker than the characters can speak it!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Movie subtitles are one thing, but I don't really see the point of playing a 50+ hour game in a language you can't understand. Games like Shadow of the Colossus which have maybe 25 lines of spoken dialogue are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
look at this fool who’s never played a yakuza game