Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Been a joke for a while that Europeans will go on about how racist Americans are but go from zero to hitler in the blink of an eye when you bring up roma.

I think that's more of a goon meme, like the idea that 'we' are constantly throwing bananas at black football players and think it's normal, just because some braindead Spanish football hooligan did that once. Some European countries have fairly small Roma populations, and many natives in those countries have no strong opinions on them. The people that do have opinions though, yeah, they're usually negative ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

חה חה! הם יצאו לגלוש בעונה שאין שלג.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I feel like I recognize the style. Dutch artist, right?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Sleep owns

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Phlegmish posted:

It's all dutch to me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Then again maybe they do, people also used to say "jewed" in pretty much the same context

This is exactly what caused Radium's departure and lowtax's first "taking my ball and going home" stepping back from the forums.

edit

Deogie is so wholesome

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, it’s dirkjan. Probably one of the most famous strips in the Netherlands.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Oh :barf:
I didn't need this on my mind.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

I think that's more of a goon meme, like the idea that 'we' are constantly throwing bananas at black football players and think it's normal, just because some braindead Spanish football hooligan did that once. Some European countries have fairly small Roma populations, and many natives in those countries have no strong opinions on them. The people that do have opinions though, yeah, they're usually negative ones.

Europeans are extremely not racist as long as they don't have to, like, look at or interact with or think about other races at all. so Europeans who don't know about Roma not being racist against Roma yet is definitely believable.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Europeans are extremely not racist as long as they don't have to, like, look at or interact with or think about other races at all. so Europeans who don't know about Roma not being racist against Roma yet is definitely believable.

Yup, same mechanism causing Vermont to be, like, extremely not racist compared to Mississippi.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Phlegmish posted:

Lol I watched it happen once on these very forums(i wanna say the poster was a Swede)

Someone mentioned the g word(few years ago when it wasn't gonna get moderated) and he spent a post going off, then was baffled when he got called on it because why would anyone care about them?

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

The Moon Monster posted:

generalisations about 'europeans' are foolish - but i will say we are doing PhD level racism while america is still struggling to push wooden blocks through the right holes

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

RFC2324 posted:

Lol I watched it happen once on these very forums(i wanna say the poster was a Swede)

Someone mentioned the g word(few years ago when it wasn't gonna get moderated) and he spent a post going off, then was baffled when he got called on it because why would anyone care about them?

Yeah I've seen that exact scenario play out many times over the years here:

American: boy euros sure are racist against this group of people I only just discovered actually exist, huh
Euro 1: actually euros aren't that racist against them
Euro 2: yeah nobody's racist against them because the stereotypes are true, they think it's okay to steal because of Jesus nails cross also dog poo and stealing babies and anyway that's why they are the untermensch"
Euro 3: yeah you guys just don't understand what it's like to deal with them
Everyone else: :stare:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

Yes, every time it comes up there is some American going 'ah but I knew an exchange student from X who talked poo poo about them', and I completely believe that, my point is just that it's not a big 'thing' or topic of conversation here. I can't remember the last time I ever talked about the subject of Roma except with my parents, who are refined intellectuals just like I of course am. Well, I guess I knew a guy back in college who once complained that he got scammed by them. I suppose you could say it's a bad thing that the discrimination isn't being highlighted.

Seems like this track always leads to the embarrassing goon pissing contests about who is the least racist and most enlightened, except when being racist in some way is also linked to being cosmopolitan and diverse in some way, which we definitely are, and we definitely have problems and I hate my country but you guys are still worse, etc. It's just played out and trite. The world is not simple.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, every time it comes up there is some American going 'ah but I knew an exchange student from X who talked poo poo about them', and I completely believe that, my point is just that it's not a big 'thing' or topic of conversation here. I can't remember the last time I ever talked about the subject of Roma except with my parents, who are refined intellectuals just like I of course am. Well, I guess I knew a guy back in college who once complained that he got scammed by them. I suppose you could say it's a bad thing that the discrimination isn't being highlighted.

Seems like this track always leads to the embarrassing goon pissing contests about who is the least racist and most enlightened, except when being racist in some way is also linked to being cosmopolitan and diverse in some way, which we definitely are, and we definitely have problems and I hate my country but you guys are still worse, etc. It's just played out and trite. The world is not simple.

Nobody's treating this like a contest and we're all aware of the complexities of the world. We're just going "wow this is a thing that happens huh" and you're going "not all Europeans"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Nobody's treating this like a contest and we're all aware of the complexities of the world. We're just going "wow this is a thing that happens huh" and you're going "not all Europeans"

Europe actually is just a collection of countries and diverse beyond the epic goon memes about it, and far, far, far beyond 'wow these people 3,000 km away from us say pop instead of soda', and I still get annoyed when some European dumbshit is going on about how people in loving Seattle or wherever are probably dragging black people behind their pickup trucks, because they know nothing about the US other than general impressions and repeating what they've heard others say.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah I've seen that exact scenario play out many times over the years here:

American: boy euros sure are racist against this group of people I only just discovered actually exist, huh
Euro 1: actually euros aren't that racist against them
Euro 2: yeah nobody's racist against them because the stereotypes are true, they think it's okay to steal because of Jesus nails cross also dog poo and stealing babies and anyway that's why they are the untermensch"
Euro 3: yeah you guys just don't understand what it's like to deal with them
Everyone else: :stare:

there was a post someone made along the lines of
european: we aren't racist like americans
anyone: roma
european: *skin melts away, revealing adolf hitler*

which perfectly reflects a scenario which occurred multiple times when i lived in europe

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

weird that voldemort is the only one with a nose

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

By popular demand posted:

חה חה! הם יצאו לגלוש בעונה שאין שלג.

ככה זה ישראלים, ראו דיל לאלפים והלכו על זה.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Absurd Alhazred posted:

ככה זה ישראלים, ראו דיל לאלפים והלכו על זה.

Tru dat.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Absurd Alhazred reported for antisemitism

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Phlegmish posted:

Europe actually is just a collection of countries and diverse beyond the epic goon memes about it, and far, far, far beyond 'wow these people 3,000 km away from us say pop instead of soda', and I still get annoyed when some European dumbshit is going on about how people in loving Seattle or wherever are probably dragging black people behind their pickup trucks, because they know nothing about the US other than general impressions and repeating what they've heard others say.

Not all Europeans do this. I know at least a dozen people who haven't made unflattering assumptions about Seattle.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Phlegmish posted:

Absurd Alhazred reported for antisemitism

פחחחח

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Also to loop this back to Weird Al he isn't above apologizing for including offensive words when you call him out

https://nationalpost.com/entertainment/music/weird-al-apologizes-for-offending-with-spastic-lyric-in-word-crimes-parody

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Not all Europeans do this. I know at least a dozen people who haven't made unflattering assumptions about Seattle.

:jerkbag: shut up Eurotrash with your #NotAllEuropeans, I knew a Bulgarian exchange student 15 years ago who said some really bad things about Roma, don't remember what it was but it definitely wouldn't fly over here

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LOL

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I think that's enough on this subject. Back to comics.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
This is a dumb derail.

As the possessor of both an EU and US passport I can say with authority that Europeans and Americans possess their own unique constellations of bigotry.

All of this pales in comparison to Asian on Asian hatred.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Free Market Mambo posted:

This is a dumb derail.

As the possessor of both an EU and US passport I can say with authority that Europeans and Americans possess their own unique constellations of bigotry.

All of this pales in comparison to Asian on Asian hatred.

It's not as bad as Slav on Slav hatred.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well that's all well and good but Jon is going to gently caress Garfield jesus christ!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Really want to see the garfield minus garfield version of this.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well that's all well and good but Jon is going to gently caress Garfield jesus christ!

It's already happened, there's no point to dwell on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Honestly, I always thought the dog cum Garfield was a bit of a stretch, but this one, I can absolutely believe that it is implied that Jon will have sex with his cat (like that tweet).