Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Unohana did the drat thing and got the hell outta there, didn't even take the time to explain her bankai. She knew where that arc was going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean a key thing in that bit is that cool peak of her powers Unohana had actually lost to baby Kenpachi, who subconsciously suppressed it. A KEY moment in the ruining of Kenny.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
There was that Swordsmith in the sky who had a sword that was so sharp that you couldn't even put it in a sheath because it would split it in two and I can't help but think that it would've been better to have just given that to Ichigo or Kenpachi, or even Yoruichi or Soi Fon much earlier on and not just have people dying for no reason.

But a lot of the issues in the last arc can easily just be chalked up to his editors saying "Alright, wrap this poo poo up, this is your last arc" and when Kubo was dragging his feet on that they said "You have this many chapters left, end it"

Kubo would've better as part of a team

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

TheHan posted:

Unohana did the drat thing and got the hell outta there, didn't even take the time to explain her bankai. She knew where that arc was going.

I just wanted to see a blood-soaked fightjunky marriage proposal. :negative:

RealFoxy posted:

There was that Swordsmith in the sky who had a sword that was so sharp that you couldn't even put it in a sheath because it would split it in two and I can't help but think that it would've been better to have just given that to Ichigo or Kenpachi, or even Yoruichi or Soi Fon much earlier on and not just have people dying for no reason.

The smith used it himself, and immediately killed some top tier Wandenreich (Viking, Sniper, Askin). It didn't matter because Ywach resurrected them, though.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

kubo wrote sword manga: the swordening from start to finish without ever actually knowing anything about swords or swordplay.

Excuse me what about Kenpachi's big moment of "actually you can swing a sword stronger if you hold it with 2 hands"?

Also this is the Spinoff I want most; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryY_GW1hzxw

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 11, 2020

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

But a lot of the issues in the last arc can easily just be chalked up to his editors saying "Alright, wrap this poo poo up, this is your last arc" and when Kubo was dragging his feet on that they said "You have this many chapters left, end it"

Kubo would've better as part of a team

If it were just Kubo's problem, the Filler Arc Crew could have managed to come up with some decent stories in bleach's setting.

Instead they did things like having a whole arc where the villain's ability was to totally neutralize shinigami powers which, while a little contrived, would be a good way to make the original karakura krew relevant for an arc. And then ichigo beats the villain singlehandedly by swording harder.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
The Goldens etc were always really good.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Schubalts posted:

Unohana training Kenpachi by killing and reviving him until he managed to win was pretty metal. Shame that was the only thing she got to do, instead of like, having them go on a murder spree together against the Wandenreich.

True, that owned. But I will go to the grave swearing her Bankai was some random and unexplained poo poo.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

a lot of the issues in the last arc can easily just be chalked up to his editors saying "Alright, wrap this poo poo up, this is your last arc" and when Kubo was dragging his feet on that they said "You have this many chapters left, end it"

This happened to toriko but that madman made gold out of it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that wasn't actually what happened to bleach, though. bleach ended because kubo was deathly ill and no longer physically capable of doing a weekly manga.

everyone thought it had been canned because bleach had been so bad for so long and was only getting worse, but it wasn't true.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I watched Bleach up to like episode 40 while it was still airing and would catch the episodes every week and was extremely in to it. A big part of that was OP1 selling me on a show that didn't exist but I still have some nostalgia for that OP and am kiiiinda curious to see what happens afterwards

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
watching op1 of bleach and then never reading or watching anything further from it is absolutely the ideal bleach experience.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In my head it’s really good

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
For all my gripes, I still really love Bleach for what it’s done and what it could’ve been. I would never recommend it.

Schubalts posted:

I just wanted to see a blood-soaked fightjunky marriage proposal. :negative:

Kenpachi and Unohana did have the best chemistry of any of the canon couples.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Terror Sweat posted:

This happened to toriko but that madman made gold out of it

Will we ever get another Toriko anime?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Not without my approval

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I watched Bleach up to like episode 40 while it was still airing and would catch the episodes every week and was extremely in to it. A big part of that was OP1 selling me on a show that didn't exist but I still have some nostalgia for that OP and am kiiiinda curious to see what happens afterwards

I am entirely on board for Kubo's next work to just be a slice of life about a group of punk friends who dress in snazzy outfits.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The SS arc was a good arc damnit.

Just stop reading/watching once Aizen beams up to Hueco Muendo.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Monaghan posted:

The SS arc was a good arc damnit.

Just stop reading/watching once Aizen beams up to Hueco Muendo.

I just re-watched it recently and I’m starting to think... was it?Out of the invasion team only Ichigo and Uryu have anything substantial to do, lots of meaningless conversations between side characters who don’t do or contribute anything small or large later on, a lot of the background art that isn’t particularly creative and kinda a precursor to the empty backgrounds that came after.

It has cool and creative fights but the majority of them go to Ichigo. I kept finding myself wanting to skip ahead to the cool parts because so much of it was just... bland and most of that cool stuff is loaded into the backhalf of the SS arc.

Honestly the detective stuff at the start of the series was just much better. It was funny and you really had time to let the characters breathe, with cool action sequences in between all of it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

I want to start a podcast called Drinking Bleach were I review the anime in like 5 episode chunks along with the applicable manga chapters.

I can't stop thinking about this idea and I'm going to start it next week (ish)

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Ikkaku's Bankai loving sucked balls. May as well throw his sword away and start again with a new one, which I don't remember ever having been touched upon as something?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Tousen had two swords, or something to affect? It was never super clear but he did take his dead friend's sword and had two shikai. Mayuri also completely remade his bankai into a form 100% identical to its original after Uryuu exploded it and then later completely modified it into a new bankai in the Blood War.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Ten swords ten bankais, its not like the incompetent shits at soul society have anything better to do

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Zanpaktou rules always seemed like they were supposed to be cosmic set-in-stone stuff except for all the times they didn't make any sense

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

I want to start a podcast called Drinking Bleach were I review the anime in like 5 episode chunks along with the applicable manga chapters.

I've already been doing a bleach recap pod and we'll be onto soul society next week.

https://tvtuners.transistor.fm/

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Ishida blowing up Mayuri's bankai should have killed him, Stand-style.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I do feel like damaging someone's zanpakuto should have damaged them in kind. Maybe *gasp* it would've added actual tension to battles.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I do feel like damaging someone's zanpakuto should have damaged them in kind. Maybe *gasp* it would've added actual tension to battles.

There's a wonderful physicality to early Bleach that just gets completely lost later on.

Ichigo becomes a Shinigami by being impaled. Urahara's training involves spiritually starving him until the chain on his soul comes to life and starts eating itself. Many of the early Hollow enemies actually physically injure the protagonists and limit their mobility, like those spikes from the plant-ghost that Inoue fights.

Then you fast-forward a couple hundred chapters and it's just energy projectiles and people no-selling attacks with their bare bodies as far as the eye can see.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's a wonderful physicality to early Bleach that just gets completely lost later on.

Ichigo becomes a Shinigami by being impaled. Urahara's training involves spiritually starving him until the chain on his soul comes to life and starts eating itself. Many of the early Hollow enemies actually physically injure the protagonists and limit their mobility, like those spikes from the plant-ghost that Inoue fights.

Then you fast-forward a couple hundred chapters and it's just energy projectiles and people no-selling attacks with their bare bodies as far as the eye can see.

Really the strongest arc of it was the very beginning when it was like early YYH but with swords.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Stairmaster posted:

I've already been doing a bleach recap pod and we'll be onto soul society next week.

THANKS FOR STEALING MY IDEA! (j/k thats awesome!, I will give it a listen!)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also how zanpaktous were originally things like having a chain spear that you could assemble and disassemble at will, with the special power of 'has some ointment in the hilt'

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I always thought he put the ointment there himself, and wondered about the implications.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Ikkaku's Shikai was sick. It basically just turned into a halberd but he used it with so much style.

And then his Bankai was some kind of giant...whatever the gently caress that was with a literal "gotta charge it up" meter and I'm just here going "ok" like Saitama.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that wasn't actually what happened to bleach, though. bleach ended because kubo was deathly ill and no longer physically capable of doing a weekly manga.

everyone thought it had been canned because bleach had been so bad for so long and was only getting worse, but it wasn't true.
I have to give credit to Kubo for running it on as much of his terms, for as long as he could. Mayuri fighting a giant hand for a dozen chapters, which is where the announcement of the cancellation fell, was perhaps the worst possible combination of words to be spending climactic time on, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I think the blood war is a lot more self-aware than people give it credit for. Or I guess, Kubo always wanted to have his cake and eat it too. I don't know. I just know I remember every single plotbeat in a way my mind glazes over the Naruto war, a series I had much deeper ties to.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The bleach uncyclopedia article is a nice little time capsule
https://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/Bleach

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

I'm a couple episodes in and the volume is super uneven, and sometimes when it switches speakers I can't hear what people are saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

SalTheBard posted:

I can't stop thinking about this idea and I'm going to start it next week (ish)

I found another podcast with the concept so it seems 2020 is the year of bleach.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/chugging-bleach-1-episodes-1-5/id1459979848?i=1000479283558

I think there is space for 3 bleach podcasts.