Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Do people usually hunt birds with rifles?

The AR-15 is actually a duck rifle first and foremost. That's why so many people own them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
https://i.imgur.com/LDwJh7o.mp4

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Milo and POTUS posted:

No, usually, you use a shotgun with birdshot to hunt birds. They may have been waiting for a deer to cross the shooting lane and instead the bird (a quail?) perched on the barrel of the rifle.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You can go through that thread or find them elsewhere but there's like a whole subgenre of deadly, creepy Disney ads.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'd hunt Canada geese with an anti-aircraft battery if they'd let me.

Used to have to drive/walk through this area to get to my childhood dentist's office so visits were doubly traumatic.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That's not so much "hunting" as obliterating

But same re: Canada geese

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The cops don't like it when you let your rear end out in public.

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs

Lobok posted:

You can go through that thread or find them elsewhere but there's like a whole subgenre of deadly, creepy Disney ads.

Its broad daylight here and im still legit rustled from the sound design. Guh.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Boba Pearl posted:

When I was younger no one had explained to me that raccoons were violent and viscious I had watched the raccoon Ghibli movie with the giant nutsacks and wanted to befriend a raccoon it ended up clawing the poo poo out of me and I had to get a rabies shot.

Schadenfreude on me I guess

Lol, rekt

Though I've never seen proof I've heard that the Canadian government has handed out brochures to Japanese tourists telling them not to gently caress around with the racoons because they're now quite as, uh, whimsical, as portrayed by cartoons.

E look at this diseased fucker

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Moon Slayer posted:

I'd hunt Canada geese with an anti-aircraft battery if they'd let me.

Used to have to drive/walk through this area to get to my childhood dentist's office so visits were doubly traumatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1exJGPZyhs

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Cocaine Bear posted:

Lol, rekt

Though I've never seen proof I've heard that the Canadian government has handed out brochures to Japanese tourists telling them not to gently caress around with the racoons because they're now quite as, uh, whimsical, as portrayed by cartoons.

E look at this diseased fucker

I've raised several raccoons and putting aside wild ones that don't want you anywhere near them mauling things is basically how they play. It's okay for them because they're super balls with fur but people are hairless and soft.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Guyver posted:

I've raised several raccoons and putting aside wild ones that don't want you anywhere near them mauling things is basically how they play. It's okay for them because they're super balls with fur but people are hairless and soft.

Something about how you wrote this makes it hard for me to parse exactly what you are saying here.

Are you saying they maul things as ‘play’ and are quite pleasant soft little bear/dog/cat hybrids?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

AlexanderCA posted:

Me and probably millions of others learned English from the subbed cartoons they used to show on TV. Sadly, nowadays everything is dubbed I believe. Unfortunately my watching batman did not leave me sounding like Kevin Conroy in English.

Oh yes. But I ended up with mostly British English spelling (on account of British-educated teachers) and mostly accented American English pronunciation (on account of popular media). Parse that!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Trabant posted:

Oh yes. But I ended up with mostly British English spelling (on account of British-educated teachers) and mostly accented American English pronunciation (on account of popular media). Parse that!

Congrats, you're fluent in Canadian.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Guyver posted:

what i'm hearing is they're basically cats

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Doc Hawkins posted:

what i'm hearing is they're basically cats

With weird little grabby pawhands

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Is that Genki Sudo?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I hope I post these in the right order.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Jul 12, 2020

Anachronasty
Apr 11, 2010

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

Imagined posted:

A work of art.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

No, usually, you use a shotgun with birdshot to hunt birds. They may have been waiting for a deer to cross the shooting lane and instead the bird (a quail?) perched on the barrel of the rifle.

That seems to be a female Sharp-Tailed Grouse, for the record.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Imagined posted:

very long meme

i enjoyed this very much. thank you.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Spaceballs

is a

bad movie

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
You are entitled to your opinion about a very lovable movie.

Yeah, the movie probably ain't great.

But it sure is lovable.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Spaceballs is not good. In many ways Spaceballs is the evolutionary link between Brooks' movies of the 70s and Airplane! which mutated the formula down and led directly to the scourge of Brooks and Neilsen's worse spoofs in the 90s and the plague of 00s garbage like Epic Movie... but it's still got enough classic spoof DNA in there to hold up. You have to be a pretty big grumpypants to not just let it be its own dumb self.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Edit NVM

The Merkinman has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Jul 12, 2020

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I legit gave myself a scare when I was walking home late one night and out of the corner of my eye I spotted some rounded object with stripes on the other side of a picket fence and my brain went "A RACCOON IS ATTACKING YOU!" and I leapt aside.

I live in a continent which does not have raccoons.
I'm not sure which continent you live on, but odds are good raccoons are on their way.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

bike tory posted:

Spaceballs

is a

bad movie

mind the walrus posted:

Spaceballs is not good. In many ways Spaceballs is the evolutionary link between Brooks' movies of the 70s and Airplane! which mutated the formula down and led directly to the scourge of Brooks and Neilsen's worse spoofs in the 90s and the plague of 00s garbage like Epic Movie... but it's still got enough classic spoof DNA in there to hold up. You have to be a pretty big grumpypants to not just let it be its own dumb self.

They got what they deserved.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

Moon Slayer posted:

Hell yeah

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Moon Slayer posted:

Seriously. What the gently caress

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

mind the walrus posted:

I am genuinely struggling to figure out a mindset where not only do you think both Spaceballs and Airplane! are bad movies, but you think Spaceballs! (1987) was an influence on Airplane! (1980).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Truly Brooks’ best film was his first, Dead and Loving It, and it went downhill from there

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

Moon Slayer posted:

sympathies for their genitals

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I am genuinely struggling to figure out a mindset where not only do you think both Spaceballs and Airplane! are bad movies, but you think Spaceballs! (1987) was an influence on Airplane! (1980).

Some folks really believe, or want to believe, that no one likes things and it's all performative

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Imagined posted:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

what an absolute unit

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I wouldn't say I dislike it but the only Brooks movie I'd seen before it was Blazing Saddles so there's no way I wasn't going to be disappointed.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Imagine living a life where you think spaceballs is so bad it breaks causality.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I think it's just an obtuse sentence. The evolutionary "and" is right before 'Neilsen'

"Spaceballs is not good. In many ways Spaceballs is the evolutionary link between Brooks' movies of the 70s and Airplane! which mutated the formula down and led directly to the scourge of Brooks and Neilsen's worse spoofs in the 90s and the plague of 00s garbage like Epic Movie... but it's still got enough classic spoof DNA in there to hold up. You have to be a pretty big grumpypants to not just let it be its own dumb self.'

E: nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I wouldn't say I dislike it but the only Brooks movie I'd seen before it was Blazing Saddles so there's no way I wasn't going to be disappointed.

Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are the hard ones to top for sure.

Space Balls is quite comfortably in the middle of the pack as far as his movies go I'd say. Equal with Men in Tights.

That still ranks it fairly high among movie comedies of its style though.