Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I don't think it's actually IROC, correct? Just a thing that is like IROC kind of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

CBJSprague24 posted:

Smoke and Ray Evernham are bringing back IROC per Jayski, with a name change to SRX. Sounds like it will be a 6 race series to be held in the summer of 2021 on short tracks and CBS has signed on to air the entire series.

cool

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

kidcoelacanth posted:

I don't think it's actually IROC, correct? Just a thing that is like IROC kind of.

IROC was all superspeedways so yeah.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Always thought IROC was kinda badly executed. "Hey, let's take champion drivers from a bunch of different racing disciplines like stock cars and sprint cars and sports cars and Indy cars and shite and put them all in stock cars on 1.5 mile ovals and plate tracks and see who wins!" Should have thrown some dirt tracks and short tracks and road courses into the mix if they really wanted it to be interesting, but I suppose that wouldn't have made sense from a financial perspective.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I was phoneposting earlier and had only seen Jayski's post, but covered some of the details in Discord. It's planned on being quite similar to IROC in terms of format (12 drivers, identically prepared cars, random draw for cars), but with differences (6 races rather than 4) and the new name (SRX).

https://twitter.com/JennaFryer/status/1282658997473083397

quote:

Evernham doesn’t expect speeds to exceed 150 mph on half-mile tracks, and he listed Stafford Motor Speedway in Connecticut, Five Flags Speedway in Pensacola, New Smyrna Speedway in Florida, Eldora, Knoxville Raceway in Iowa and Terre Haute Action Track in Indiana as possible venues. Evernham would also like a road course and a modified oval on the schedule.

quote:

Evernham’s dream list includes Scott Dixon, Tony Kanaan, Jimmie Johnson, Gordon, Juan Pablo Montoya, Paul Tracy and short track racers and up-and-comers who have proven their skills but can’t get a break.

dennyk posted:

Always thought IROC was kinda badly executed. "Hey, let's take champion drivers from a bunch of different racing disciplines like stock cars and sprint cars and sports cars and Indy cars and shite and put them all in stock cars on 1.5 mile ovals and plate tracks and see who wins!" Should have thrown some dirt tracks and short tracks and road courses into the mix if they really wanted it to be interesting, but I suppose that wouldn't have made sense from a financial perspective.

IROC did run Richmond late in the going and the Daytona infield road course in its last season but, yeah, you're right. The problem for me was that there were too many drivers with stock car experience, which tilted things in their favor, though that didn't stop guys from other disciplines from winning; Al Unser, Jr. seemed to be competitive in IROC and Sebastian Bourdais and Danny Lasoski both won in later years. The lineups in the last season was heavily skewed toward NASCAR and ARCA (italics on drivers from any other discipline):

quote:

#1 United States Ted Musgrave NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series
#6 United States Mark Martin NASCAR Nextel Cup Series
#06 United States Sam Hornish, Jr. Indy Racing League
#8 United States Martin Truex, Jr. NASCAR Busch Series
#08 United States Scott Sharp Indy Racing League
#10 South Africa Wayne Taylor2
Italy Max Angelelli2 Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car

#11 United States Steve Kinser World of Outlaws
#12 United States Ryan Newman NASCAR Nextel Cup Series
#16 Italy Max Papis Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car
#17 United States Matt Kenseth NASCAR Nextel Cup Series
#20 United States Tony Stewart NASCAR Nextel Cup Series
#46 United States Frank Kimmel ARCA RE/MAX Series

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Terre Haute? Hell yeah im an hour away.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Did any of you guys catch the Dale Jr. Download with Mark Martin? Mark said a few interesting things about being at Roush that made me think he wasn't entirely happy there.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Elitist Bitch posted:

Did any of you guys catch the Dale Jr. Download with Mark Martin? Mark said a few interesting things about being at Roush that made me think he wasn't entirely happy there.

With my driving for work significantly reduced, I've only had the chance to hear the Ken Schrader podcast and the one where Dale talked about them scheduling the wrong Nashville track next year, but I have a short list of ones I want to hear and Mark's jumped straight to the top.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Elitist Bitch posted:

like what?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Basically said hes a cheap prick who wont pay for good people, just equipment, and that he knew he was making a lot less money than he could anywhere else.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

he was too cheap to pay a guy to fly his plane for him. checks out.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Basically said hes a cheap prick who wont pay for good people, just equipment, and that he knew he was making a lot less money than he could anywhere else.

I've always gotten the "Hitler could paint buildings but never quite paint people right" vibe from Roush, so yeah that tracks

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

It always amazed me how quickly Roush went from a powerhouse in Cup to complete irrelevance.

E- Jordan Taylor nearly had a ride for Mid-Ohio and the Glen last year and, if sponsorship pans out, may run the Cup road course race at Daytona.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 13, 2020

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

GD_American posted:

I've always gotten the "Hitler could paint buildings but never quite paint people right" vibe from Roush, so yeah that tracks

The Willy T doc has some poo poo that makes roush come off as a racist pile of poo poo, also.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

iwentdoodie posted:

The Willy T doc has some poo poo that makes roush come off as a racist pile of poo poo, also.

I got much more of a possessive, controlling baby kinda vibe (although I'm sure most everyone knows that about Roush) than an outright racist one from that movie, but yeah he did not come off too good at all.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 14, 2020

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

It always amazed me how quickly Roush went from a powerhouse in Cup to complete irrelevance.

There's always a reason why that happens, and it isn't just that Roush one day forgot how to manage a winning organization. More than likely dominoes that he couldn't replace began to fall as people got sick of his poo poo. If you're surrounded by other teams with owners that treat their employees better, you're going to have a hard time keeping talent. Kenseth and Edwards leaving Roush was stunning from the outside, but it speaks to the inner workings of the organization not being good.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1283127762962849792

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

A reminder that Jack Roush ran Yates out of business and bought their engine shop and still sucked.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/RPMotorsports/status/1283129141181603840

Five races. The text on the hood is going to be completely unreadable.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

kidcoelacanth posted:

https://twitter.com/RPMotorsports/status/1283129141181603840

Five races. The text on the hood is going to be completely unreadable.

All they had to do was put a dark outline around the text. It was someone's job to design this and they did a worse job than most iRacing painters' first try.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The difference between Roush's shop and the Hendrick shop is essentially between the Yankees and the Toledo Mud Hens. Not everything can be traced back to facilities, but drat. Some of it was incredibly obvious at first sight.

It was pretty neat that when you walk through the front door, the very first office on the left is Roush's. We went in on a very light traffic weekend and I was tempted to go in there and steal a stapler.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Well it was already announced monetarily so

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Wait, Brian Vickers' wife was a fixer for Epstein?

How long till one of the actual drivers gets popped (again.....) for sex pesting?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

maybe all his health problems were her feeding him crushed up glass or something

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/PlanBSales/status/1282770186144227328

They're not awful, but there's also no sense in messing with what isn't broken. This, however:

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/1283094108714786817

...sucks.

https://twitter.com/Nascarpixtures/status/1283009208577859590

:golfclap:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The 9 looks good, like they actually designed it with the number in mind and didn't just move the number and slap some sponsor decals in the empty space. The 48 looks pretty good too. The 4 is terrible.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

The side profiles make some of those number placements look hideous. Some of the car numbers are way too high, not set well against the sponsor, or not designed with a good livery around it.

The ones that hit all of those beats look just fine, though. I could live with this change once the design faux pas are ironed out.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Most of the 4 schemes have been terrible for a long time, number placement be damned.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

I wasn't watching last year so I was supremely unaware of the conditions under which Justin Haley qualified for the all star race:

Wikipedia posted:

For Daytona's Coke Zero Sugar 400, he qualified 34th. In the race, with around 30 laps to go, Austin Dillon and Clint Bowyer tangled, causing "The Big One". Haley, in 27th, narrowly avoided it and sneaked into 3rd. Race leader Kurt Busch and second-place Landon Cassill would pit under caution but Haley did not, inheriting the lead just before lightning struck near the race track, red-flagging the race. After hours of red flag conditions, the race was called, securing Haley's first Cup win in his third start and Spire's first win in their maiden season.[21][22] Since Haley was accepting points for the 2019 Xfinity Series, and was not competing full-time in the Cup Series, he would not be eligible for the 2019 Cup playoffs.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

oh yeah it was completely clownshoes lol

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

NBC's Peacock TV is live, and so is Dale Jr.'s Lost Speedways series. Looks like it's on the free tier, or at least episode 1 is.

https://www.peacocktv.com/

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Episode 1 was good. They might get my money for a bit, once they have a Roku app.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1283462474675580928

sigh

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

WindyMan posted:

The side profiles make some of those number placements look hideous. Some of the car numbers are way too high, not set well against the sponsor, or not designed with a good livery around it.

The ones that hit all of those beats look just fine, though. I could live with this change once the design faux pas are ironed out.

Maybe some teams are making them bad on purpose to try and convince NASCAR it is a bad idea? I actually don't mind it when it is done right but I don't like when the sponsor is bigger than the number. Like the #24, the A Axalta logo kind of dwarfs the number and makes it look weird. I like Dale Jr's take on the number being the only thing left of a driver's on track identity.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

bigbillystyle posted:

Maybe some teams are making them bad on purpose to try and convince NASCAR it is a bad idea? I actually don't mind it when it is done right but I don't like when the sponsor is bigger than the number. Like the #24, the A Axalta logo kind of dwarfs the number and makes it look weird. I like Dale Jr's take on the number being the only thing left of a driver's on track identity.

"Driving the number A24/24A, from Charlotte, NC..."

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bigbillystyle posted:

Maybe some teams are making them bad on purpose to try and convince NASCAR it is a bad idea?

lol they don't care nearly this much

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Elitist Bitch posted:

Episode 1 was good. They might get my money for a bit, once they have a Roku app.

Very, very good episode. The free tier is supposed to stay.... free... but we'll see.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
https://twitter.com/bpocky1/status/1283530520853458945

Bob, you're the hardest working man on Twitter

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

some hilarious driving from mcdowell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
BUBBA LET THE CHOPPER SPRAY