Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

ShakeZula posted:

In Odyssey I got really sick of the same 2 or 3 songs over and over again.

There are 12. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Nevermind I'm back in this rules. Their absence in Odyssey was felt especially after how great they were in Origins.

Here's also hoping for a return of the loading screens where your guy is running through code

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I don't think there's a single rear end Creed with a plot I would call good, but the best of them manage to move things along with compelling characterisation.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
After watching the ACG video, I'm down. I never played any assassin creed game besides Odyssey and loved it. The theme and all that was great. Some quest were annoyingly spread out but I really.enjoyed my time running around like a murderhobo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

After watching the ACG video, I'm down. I never played any assassin creed game besides Odyssey and loved it. The theme and all that was great. Some quest were annoyingly spread out but I really.enjoyed my time running around like a murderhobo.

yeah. there was a very shadow of mordor/war to the fights in odyssey which i liked. and vahallah seems to be doubling down on that.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Valhalla seems to be drifting even harder away from the stealth aspect of the series, from what I've seen. Have they mentioned stealth much at all?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Dapper_Swindler posted:

unity and odyssey didnt do them. which was dumb. i hope the vahallah ones are as surreal as origins.

I am counting those weird backstory flashes from unity, so I’m not sure if those officially count or not. It was mostly a way to put in backstory in a game that had about 3 developed characters at best

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Oh dear me posted:

There are 12. :eng101:

Tell that to my crew :colbert:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Has this GameStop article from yesterday posted here?

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla Will Have Almost No Side Quests
The flow of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla involves “world events” in place of traditional side quests.

Speaking to GameSpot just before Ubisoft Forward, narrative director Darby McDevitt explained that “world events” are included in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, but the traditional side quest is “almost nonexistent.” There are longer story arcs to complete as part of the main questline, but extra activities you complete will happen more spontaneously and won’t necessarily be quests you have to seek out.

Aha haha this means the world is still full of the Three Kinds Of Camp, but they didn't bother to create any thin justification for your character to go there because Vikings.

e: I'm sure they're trying their best, but this is still an ubisoft open world game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

Valhalla seems to be drifting even harder away from the stealth aspect of the series, from what I've seen. Have they mentioned stealth much at all?

Yeah, it popped up in one of the newer preview videos, and it actually seems to have a somewhat greater role compared to Odyssey. Basically you'll end up being able to sneak into English towns and cities where guards will attack you on sight if they realize you're a viking. It also reincorporates some of the social stealth of the earlier titles, like being able to blend into moving groups of travelers or pretend to be busy eating some food.

Edit: Here's the video I was thinking of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdzcijLhQV8&t=206s

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it popped up in one of the newer preview videos, and it actually seems to have a somewhat greater role compared to Odyssey. Basically you'll end up being able to sneak into English towns and cities where guards will attack you on sight if they realize you're a viking. It also reincorporates some of the social stealth of the earlier titles, like being able to blend into moving groups of travelers or pretend to be busy eating some food.

Edit: Here's the video I was thinking of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdzcijLhQV8&t=206s

english guard, pointing at eivor like donald sutherland in invasion of the body snatchers: "that one's bathed and their hair is combed! IT'S A VIKING!!"

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm gonna be honest, I was pretty "eh" until a few days ago when I started watching videos. I'm in. The combat looks fluid and good, it doesn't look like I'm gonna have to worry about switching weapons simply because my axe is level 28 and I'm in level 30 enemy land, and a big open map is my jam. Let me wander around and discover stuff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ash1138 posted:

english guard, pointing at eivor like donald sutherland in invasion of the body snatchers: "that one's bathed and their hair is combed! IT'S A VIKING!!"

"She's too well coiffed! Get her!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Saxophone posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I was pretty "eh" until a few days ago when I started watching videos. I'm in. The combat looks fluid and good, it doesn't look like I'm gonna have to worry about switching weapons simply because my axe is level 28 and I'm in level 30 enemy land, and a big open map is my jam. Let me wander around and discover stuff.

yeah, it sounds like they are sorta taking the division approach and giving you a couple core weapon types and such that you can upgrade.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Ah yes the authentic feeling of sailing with my boat crew and hearing one just one person sing.
In modern English no less.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Yeah, kinda disappointed that it was in english.

It couldn't have been less authentic if she'd slapped a tape into the radio embedded in the prow.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Eh, the odyssey songs also sound suspiciously like whaling shanties. I mean, it's consistent.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lexorin posted:

Yeah, kinda disappointed that it was in english.

It couldn't have been less authentic if she'd slapped a tape into the radio embedded in the prow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB01Mqiuru0

i am sure some will be in norse/early english.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Should have gotten Heilung.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah I'm hoping they actually meant 'denser' and not like, a larger land mass because yikes

Same. I'll take a lake that's a mile deep over an ocean that's all but a few inches in depth any day.

Alhazred posted:

Plot twist: That kitty is Jörmungandr.

Bonus :haw:

Also look at this kitty tucked in on your ship

:kimchi:

Edit:

exquisite tea posted:

Should have gotten Heilung.

Agree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpv261r01Eg

Edit 2:

Sandwolf posted:

You can still stealth bases and forts if you want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2vINdTUB6k&t=39s

Beeb fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 14, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wonder in what entry they'll give us a character creator

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Wonder in what entry they'll give us a character creator

i think this one does somewhat.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
oh must have missed that

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think this one does somewhat.

You'll be able to draw on their face maybe. I understand why in a cutscene heavy format they avoid it, and especially in a series vaguely about lineages. Witcher would have been a laughing stock if 90% of the youtube footage featured some epic win shrek bobble head clownshoeing its way around the lands. I guess that stuff is fine in a proper RPG like fallout where the scenes focus on the other person's reaction to your actions, not your reaction too.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Oh dear me posted:

I'm not in the industry, but the idea that Ubisoft would hire more quest writers if only they sacked some landscape artists seems dubious to me. They're wildly different skills, and given how many games with small maps have awful quests, blaming Odyssey's imperfections on its generous map seems strange.

I think the theory is that you reduce the total number of sidequests and spend more time on each one, then scatter the smaller number of quests over a smaller land area to achieve the same 'density'.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

I only liked Odyssey because they didn't go ham with the immersion breaking real world crap, so I hope this isn't annoying and overblown. I just want to run around in cool settings murder hoboing, other games in this series struggle to hold my attention.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I’ve never played an Assassin’s Creed, and know barely anything about it aside from some very suspect lore concerning DNA and some goofy fights I saw that looked fun and dumb, should I play Origins or Odyssey?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sinten posted:

I’ve never played an Assassin’s Creed, and know barely anything about it aside from some very suspect lore concerning DNA and some goofy fights I saw that looked fun and dumb, should I play Origins or Odyssey?

They're both extremely solid games and the general response when this comes up is go for the one whose setting/PC more interests you.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sinten posted:

Sure. Just know that they play pretty different from all the pre-Origins games and have all the bloat of a modern Ubisoft game.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Mantis42 posted:

Sure. Just know that they play pretty different from all the pre-Origins games and have all the bloat of a modern Ubisoft game.

You say that like AC2 isn't bloated as hell

So many feathers and footraces...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I wasn't trying to deny it. Ubisoft open world syndrome has been a thing for a long time now.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Wolfsheim posted:

You say that like AC2 isn't bloated as hell

So many feathers and footraces...

Outside of the feathers I don't think AC2 was too bad about it. Going back to the old controls for some stuff does take some getting used to though.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Im finally getting around to playing Origins after playing the poo poo out of Odyssey when it came out. Are there any must-have skills or some decent guides around for them? All the poo poo I can find through Google is the rushed poo poo that game websites pushed out like 2 days after release.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

bike tory posted:

Im finally getting around to playing Origins after playing the poo poo out of Odyssey when it came out. Are there any must-have skills or some decent guides around for them? All the poo poo I can find through Google is the rushed poo poo that game websites pushed out like 2 days after release.

Use the bird to fly to every region and get the exploration exp for it when you are allowed to leave the tutorial zone. Couldn't do this in Odyssey, but worked in Origins.

sfmarine7
Aug 26, 2004
hey, how's it going
I feel like the modern day stuff could be moved forward through 2-3 cutscenes over the course of the game and that's it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sandwolf posted:

you can wear a hood

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sinten posted:

origins then oddyssee

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

echinopsis posted:

origins then oddyssee

Yeah, this is the right answer. They are both great, solid as hell games. But Odyssey built on Origins, so playing them backwards will definitely feel like you're moving in the wrong direction. Mostly because you are. (Even if, plot timewise, you wouldn't be, but lol the plot between games in these games.)

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'd recommend picking one because they're both very similar so going through one right after the other will get repetitive

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

bike tory posted:

If recommend picking one because they're both very similar so going through one right after the other will get repetitive

Yeah especially if you plan on playing Valhalla since it doesn't seem like it's a huge leap away from those two. Two of those games in consecutive years was a lot (even though I thought they were both great!), but trying to binge three in one year would be madness.