Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I saw the trailer for lower decks and thought to myself "well it can't be any worse than star trek: picard," and then I remembered that I thought to myself "Well it can't be any worse than Stark Trek: Discovery" after seeing the initial trailers for Star Trek Picard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Clearly we just need to wait for the next horrible Star Trek thing to make us appreciate that Lower Decks isn't the worst thing they've ever done, is what I'm hearing.

I never got to see the trailer before it was yanked so I guess I'll remain blissfully ignorant.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Martytoof posted:

Clearly we just need to wait for the next horrible Star Trek thing to make us appreciate that Lower Decks isn't the worst thing they've ever done, is what I'm hearing.

I never got to see the trailer before it was yanked so I guess I'll remain blissfully ignorant.

I'm not letting you get away that easily, this one isn't blocked in Canada either so don't even try that excuse.

https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahanTM/status/1282368838894411776

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Looks fine

I have no idea what the gently caress any of you were expecting from "animated Trek comedy"

Character humor doesn't really work in montage form unless you already know the characters

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Clearly we just need to wait for the next horrible Star Trek thing to make us appreciate that [insert newest Star Trek here] isn't the worst thing they've ever done, is what I'm hearing.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Argo buggy (yes, THAT ONE) - check
Smol dick - check
Orion in crew in 2480 - check
Wrong registry position - check
Wrong hull construction - check
Stupid posterior joke - check
Cat-like Pulaski - check
Battle bridge on a non-separable starship-check

we're doomed.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
TNG sucks!

*DS9 premiers*

DS9 sucks, why can’t it be as good as TNG?

*VOY premiers*

Voyager sucks, why can’t it be as good as DS9?

*ENT premiers*

Enterprise sucks, we need something other than Berman Trek!

*DIS premiers*

Hey Enterprise was actually pretty good.

*PIC premiers*

This is awful, when’s Discovery coming back?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

HD DAD posted:

TNG sucks!

*DS9 premiers*

DS9 sucks, why can’t it be as good as TNG?

*VOY premiers*

Voyager sucks, why can’t it be as good as DS9?

*ENT premiers*

Enterprise sucks, we need something other than Berman Trek!

*DIS premiers*

*PIC premiers*

This is awful, when’s Discovery coming back?

I am happy to confirm this is not the case and DS9 remains the only good not TOS-Trek

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HD DAD posted:

*DIS premiers*

Who ever said this

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK I watched the trailer.

It’s a comedy cartoon set in a Star Trek universe. That was about what I expected. I am guessing it’s not meant to be canon so I’m sure there aren’t actually guys sitting naked at stations or people getting hearts pumped by hand on starships or whatever so I’m trying to appreciate it for what it is.

It was fine. Maybe a little heavy on the WACKY stuff which really annoyed me about shows like Final Space and Rick and Morty, which this seems to have in its DNA so I dunno, maybe that doesn’t bode well but I can see myself enjoying this and getting bored with it rather than outright hating it.

THIS AIN’T YOU GRANDMA’S STAR TREK *rips shirt*

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

skasion posted:

Who ever said this

Yeah as close as I've seen is "in retrospect, Enterprise had its moments"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

Who ever said this

HD DAD is probably this forum's biggest and most ardent Enterprise supporter.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm in the 'compared to STD and Picard, Enterprise looks better' camp, but it certainly isn't good.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Peachfart posted:

I'm in the 'compared to STD and Picard, Enterprise looks better' camp, but it certainly isn't good.

Yeah, it's like bragging about being the toughest guy at a Depeche Mode concert.

If I get a chuckle and a couple good Trek-y episodes out of it, I'll be happy. Hell, the TOS cartoon tackled some pretty heady ideas in a couple eps as I recall.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Enterprise was never bad

It was just a letdown of our expectations

It's "ok"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I was sad we didn't get to see more of Manny Coto's Enterpise. And I genuinely liked the production design and their take on a pre-TOS look, akiraprise complaints be damned.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The biggest problem with Enterprise was that it was the same reheated concept that Voyager was with a slightly different setting, which was that same as TNG was with a slightly different setting.
The second biggest problem was most of the crew were boring, forgettable and one-dimensional.
But I guess it was actual star trek so it had that going for it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Timby posted:

HD DAD is probably this forum's biggest and most ardent Enterprise supporter.

I will happily wear that badge, gently caress it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Peachfart posted:

The biggest problem with Enterprise was that it was the same reheated concept that Voyager was with a slightly different setting, which was that same as TNG was with a slightly different setting.
The second biggest problem was most of the crew were boring, forgettable and one-dimensional.
But I guess it was actual star trek so it had that going for it.

I groaned out loud the first time I heard "hull plating down to 15%" Esp because it was airing roughly concurrent to New BSG, which showed that you could have a lot more of a visceral and compelling presentation of battle damage with unshielded ships duking it out rather than just making it a search-and-replace in unused scripts for "shields" health bar.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

HD DAD posted:

I will happily wear that badge, gently caress it.

Wholeheartedly supported. I'd wear it right now but the law blog tells me not to.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Bloop posted:

Enterprise was never bad

It was just a letdown of our expectations

It's "ok"

So A Night In Sickbay was okay, not bad?

Bold claim.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Torrannor posted:

So A Night In Sickbay was okay

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Torrannor posted:

So A Night In Sickbay was okay, not bad?

Bold claim.

Using TNG as the gold standard for Good Trek doesn't mean that Shades of Gray, Code of Honor, and Profit and Lace are good episodes

But actually I don't have a problem with A Night in Sickbay at all, there are far worse episodes of Trek

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

A Night in Sickbay is the type of episode that would be good as a breather/character hour on a show that was usually thrilling and dramatic.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Honestly the worst episode of Enterprise is probably Bounty, which was just an embarrassing excuse to make T’Pol go through Pon Farr, or Singularity, which didn’t make a lick of sense and was also boring as hell.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 13, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

No episode of enterprise is as bad as all of them

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hoshi Sexpest planet is my vote for worst

But genocide planet and every horny decon gel / psychic massage is next

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Wholeheartedly supported. I'd wear it right now but the law blog tells me not to.

Enterprise goons assemble.

DS9 is still my favourite Trek, but after that I'd rate TOS, TNG and ENT as equal 2nd place.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The main problem with DISCO is that it has few distinct episodes because they're doing the Prestige Drama thing

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Martytoof posted:

It’s a comedy cartoon set in a Star Trek universe. That was about what I expected. I am guessing it’s not meant to be canon so I’m sure there aren’t actually guys sitting naked at stations or people getting hearts pumped by hand on starships or whatever so I’m trying to appreciate it for what it is.

IDK if CBS has come out and said definitively that it's canon, but the showrunner has gone on record as saying it's supposed to be--"Within Lower Decks, there is a proper in-canon Star Trek show [...] It was important to me that if you know everything about Star Trek and you watch this show then it fits into canon and doesn't break Star Trek."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd think the canon is a square/rectangle situation—the events of Lower Decks aren't true for the rest of Trek, but the events of the rest of Trek are true for Lower Decks.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Edit: Wrong thread

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

feedmyleg posted:

I'd think the canon is a square/rectangle situation—the events of Lower Decks aren't true for the rest of Trek, but the events of the rest of Trek are true for Lower Decks.

And then there's that tribble breakfast cereal commercial, which nobody loving knows where the hell that goes, canon-wise.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Powered Descent posted:

And then there's that tribble breakfast cereal commercial, which nobody loving knows where the hell that goes, canon-wise.

gamma canon!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Bloop posted:

The main problem with DISCO is that it has few distinct episodes because they're doing the Prestige Drama thing

Also, that they don't bother to develop any characters except Michael. Who is still pretty badly developed.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Peachfart posted:

Also, that they don't bother to develop any characters except Michael. Who is still pretty badly developed.

Stares at you quietly crying

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crying every 5 minutes is a character trait, we swear

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Uncle Lloyd posted:

IDK if CBS has come out and said definitively that it's canon, but the showrunner has gone on record as saying it's supposed to be--"Within Lower Decks, there is a proper in-canon Star Trek show [...] It was important to me that if you know everything about Star Trek and you watch this show then it fits into canon and doesn't break Star Trek."

I’d be betting more that it doesn’t break Star Trek in that they’re going to follow the established canon and IF it does establish some canon, it’ll be referred to only in serious tones.

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah I this makes more sense to me.

Like in the next year, one of these zany cartoon ensigns will go talk about what a great captain Picard was, but in twenty years you won’t have anyone on [future serious Star Trek prestige show] referencing the wacky hyjinx of weird robot eye ensign or how Captain generic chestbumped his first officer or whatever that was. The exception for subtle fan service could always exist I guess.

Anyway, I’m not super pessimistic about it. Like it can’t be any less enjoyable than the stupid Disco time angel thing was so v:)v

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 14, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh gently caress now I want them to do a Trials and Tribble-ations type live action/cartoon mashup with TOS DS9 or TNG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

The Bloop posted:

Looks fine

I have no idea what the gently caress any of you were expecting from "animated Trek comedy"

Character humor doesn't really work in montage form unless you already know the characters

https://sfdebris.com/

It would be a good start. :)