Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Sleeveless posted:

Disney's starry-eyed atomic age futurism rules and I wish that was a part of their history that they returned to with their media as often as they do with their fairy tale fantasy and down-home Americana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ-T5VEueW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwA7c_rNbJE

hahahaha we live in a failed plague state that is now an open-air prison as well
:smith::hf::smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Palm Springs: it was a rom com, I don't understand why people are arguing the minutia of it. the movie was not ever trying to be accurate. the grandma being in on it was a one off joke and the goat was a goat. don't treat a rom com like a sci fi movie, it won't ever work out

E: that being said, it was a great movie

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
JK Simmons is fuckin amazing in it

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
technically the c4 would disappear as well as whatever it blew up too, so it should get harder and harder to do as more and more explosives disappears! Also makes people thing randy was in the loop as well?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
in this 300 page dissertation, we will dissect whether or not Lucy should have remembered Henry during 50 first dates.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My wife and I finished the second season of Bojack Horseman. It was pretty great all throughout, but the last few episodes were incredible. I think they saved their first use of the word "gently caress" for that one scene and they couldn't have done it at a better time. Wow. Also as a runner, I connect deeply with the old dude's mantra of "it gets easier every day. But you gotta do it every day, that's the hard part."

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

TheAardvark posted:

in this 300 page dissertation, we will dissect whether or not Lucy should have remembered Henry during 50 first dates.

Recursive Discursiveness: The Deontological Underpinnings of Darla’s Relation to the Dive Bar as a Safe Space.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Apparently Ozark got picked up for a final season like two weeks ago? First I’m hearing and I’m looking forward to it.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/film-tv/a33097251/ozark-season-4-release-date-news-cast-spoilers/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Slamhound posted:

Apparently Ozark got picked up for a final season like two weeks ago? First I’m hearing and I’m looking forward to it.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/film-tv/a33097251/ozark-season-4-release-date-news-cast-spoilers/

Fuckin' A

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Agents of Shield is having way too much fun in the time traveling shenanigans and I'm loving it. This week's 80s episode is amazing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

My wife and I finished the second season of Bojack Horseman. It was pretty great all throughout, but the last few episodes were incredible. I think they saved their first use of the word "gently caress" for that one scene and they couldn't have done it at a better time. Wow. Also as a runner, I connect deeply with the old dude's mantra of "it gets easier every day. But you gotta do it every day, that's the hard part."

BoJack drops one f-bomb a season and it’s always perfect

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I felt like it was the first season to stick the landing. :shrug:

the thing is, i don't actually mind any of the events of the ending. the way everything plays out is pretty much fine.

the ending is just structured in a really bizarre way that i didn't really appreciate. if they'd started the last episode by going through the 1989 stuff linearly and then the 2019 sequence with Son of Jingles, it would have worked about a thousand times better. as it stands, it feels a bit like...

I dunno, the best comparison I can make is if you saw Empire Strikes Back and were all-in on that cliffhanger, with the Rebels at their lowest point and etc... and then you go see Return of the Jedi and the opening text crawl basically just tells you "the Rebels are gonna win, Vader and Palpatine are hosed." it feels like they were almost deliberately deflating the dramatic tension they had achieved up to that point, and given they did a really, really good job with that in the first place, that annoyed me.

Davros1 posted:

I've only watched a few AHS, but I thought 1984 was the best of the lot. Asylum sucked.

see this is at least a mildly weird take to me, because Asylum and 1984 are basically my two favorite seasons simply because they're the ones that go the absolute most buckwild insane

and even then 1984 didn't quite get to "somehow managing to fit aliens and Literally Anne Frank into a story about an asylum" levels

e: like, the good seasons of AHS are the ones where if you try to describe any given plot beat in detail out-of-context, it's going to sound like you're writing a bizarre shitpost.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2qEhGeLb6A

Iconic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So it turns out that Law & Order: Hate Crimes isn't dead yet, but is getting punted over to Peacock.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

True story, I wrote a lovely college essay about this scene.

Scene's classic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man, Making It is so darn wholesome

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just finished the new season of Unsolved Mysteries and thought each episode was fantastic. The hour long format lets them take time setting up the crimes and telling the stories instead of how they used to chop episodes up into 2 or 3 different stories. The one about the French family might have been my favorite, although the one with the kid who probably got killed by a bunch of racist hillbillies was good too. That guy who left his friend at a party an hour from home with nobody else there hosed up that night for sure but man, having to carry that for the rest of your life has to suck :smith:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BoxrecGrey/status/1279215739459776512

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Day one watch for sure. I love trash movies.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Does Disney+ have those 50s Goofy shorts where it's like an instructional video parody?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gaunab posted:

Does Disney+ have those 50s Goofy shorts where it's like an instructional video parody?

...Look Around You?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm guessing they meant Goofy as in Goofy.

The "Let's Go Fly a Kite" one was one of my favorites.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Well I'm sold

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When do we get Snakes on a Money Plane?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

oh jay posted:

I'm guessing they meant Goofy as in Goofy.

The "Let's Go Fly a Kite" one was one of my favorites.

You're correct. Those animated 50s instructional video parodies are my favorite. If D+ has those then I'm buying a subscription.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

New Star Trek animated show. I think we've gone full circle because it looks like it's taking inspiration from The Orville?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3RkBKedKWw

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

New Star Trek animated show. I think we've gone full circle because it looks like it's taking inspiration from The Orville?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3RkBKedKWw

The Orville did not create parodying Star Trek. The Showrunner has had a history of making fun of Trek tropes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What else is there besides Orville and Galaxy Quest? I feel like those things only exist because of Star Trek.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

What else is there besides Orville and Galaxy Quest? I feel like those things only exist because of Star Trek.

An incredibly famous SNL skit for one.a

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Pigs in...SPACE!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Open up HBO Go on my Fire TV and there's a message saying the app will no longer be supported on Fire after July. Hoping that means HBO Max made a deal to get on the device I find out they didn't and Peacock won't be on the app either.

I don't love this part of the streaming era. Gonna have to get used to chromecasting from my phone more.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Been watching The Travellers this weekend and it just struck me how much like Future Man it is.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm also noticing more and more poo poo that can't be bought on Prime at all, which is very frustrating since I preferred renting movies/buying TV shows to signing up for more services, but it's just not an option anymore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheAardvark posted:

I'm also noticing more and more poo poo that can't be bought on Prime at all, which is very frustrating since I preferred renting movies/buying TV shows to signing up for more services, but it's just not an option anymore.

Yeah it kind of blows. I regret buying so many Amazon devices because when they hike the price of Prime again I'm ready to bail.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

STAC Goat posted:

Open up HBO Go on my Fire TV and there's a message saying the app will no longer be supported on Fire after July. Hoping that means HBO Max made a deal to get on the device I find out they didn't and Peacock won't be on the app either.

I don't love this part of the streaming era. Gonna have to get used to chromecasting from my phone more.

it's why I just went back to :filez: and Plex. I still pay a bunch of cash a month subscribing to all the major streaming services, but there isn't one device where I can watch them all so gently caress em.

Let me just pay for this poo poo and play it on my medium of choice and leave all the politicking and market positioning out of it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Been watching The Travellers this weekend and it just struck me how much like Future Man it is.

I’ve been watching it and liking the main plot but all the 21st century side plots are obnoxious. We never spent more than five minutes with the people before they got brain hijacked and the stakes are “the future of humanity” so we have zero reason to want Grant’s marriage to work or whatever when it turns out that maintaining a cover has virtually no bearing on the plot. The only person who understands her role in the 21st is Grace, who gives zero fucks about moody high schoolers

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I do wish I could centralize.

At this point, I pay for Hulu, Netflix, Spotify, and HBO. $40/month total.

I should probably do that Hulu/ Spotify bundle, but I don't want to have to create a new Spotify. I've been using the same Spotify account for *checks notes* jesus, 12 years now, and it has a really good handle on what I like now

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hulu/Spotify doesn't work anymore. I canceled my Spotify, then immediately realized I wanted to watch a bunch of stuff on Hulu and tried to restart it to no avail :sigh:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Kindle Fire came out almost a decade ago, Amazon's strategy of stubbornly locking their hardware down to proprietary storefronts that they own hasn't really been a secret. Also the inverse, I can't get Twitch on my Roku TV because their dumb slapfight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

I’ve been watching it and liking the main plot but all the 21st century side plots are obnoxious. We never spent more than five minutes with the people before they got brain hijacked and the stakes are “the future of humanity” so we have zero reason to want Grant’s marriage to work or whatever when it turns out that maintaining a cover has virtually no bearing on the plot. The only person who understands her role in the 21st is Grace, who gives zero fucks about moody high schoolers

Yeah, the worst episode by far was the one after a big event, where everyone was just maybe going to chill in the past forever now. Will and Grace guy's home story is the worst, when he breaks protocol to save his wife, I rolled my eyes so hard. She's not your wife and literally every step of your mission would be better and easier with her gone. The woman who wound up with the baby too, another case of opportunities to ditch the kid and get it to a real parent and out of the way of the mission lol. I totally get not wanting to leave baby in hands of abusive bastard cop*, but like, there are other services and while none are perfect, all of them are better than "being raised by body-jacking futureghost on constant life or death missions."

*Speaking of the cop, can anyone spoil it for me if he dies or gets brainjacked at least? I really, really, need to see him die.