Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Kly posted:

i got mass effect 1 during the sale because ive heard so much praise for the series but never played it. i still enjoy old bioware games like KOTOR so i figured i wouldnt mind some old game design.
i was wrong. the ui and combat was better but holy moly the dialogue and VA seemed so much worse than any other bioware game that was released earlier. fortunately the main story was mercifully short.

should i even bother with ME2 next time its on sale?

ME2 is the best one of the series. The writing is less clunky and the characters are real good. But tbh I don’t think any games in the series have aged well from either a story or gameplay perspective. ME2 has some cool moments though. Also butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Can't believe Kojima made me create a new Steam category

that game where you write notes of encouragement to other people is a strand game

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Kly posted:

i got mass effect 1 during the sale because ive heard so much praise for the series but never played it. i still enjoy old bioware games like KOTOR so i figured i wouldnt mind some old game design.
i was wrong. the ui and combat was better but holy moly the dialogue and VA seemed so much worse than any other bioware game that was released earlier. fortunately the main story was mercifully short.

ME2 is probably the best! I don't know if I'd call it a big step up writing wise, but the game structure does do some interesting things with the plot, especially at the end of the short campaign. Given how you feel about the first game and how you don't seem that invested in the story/characters, I'd say only get it if it's dirt cheap and only if there's a chance you'd play it almost immediately.

That said, there's a chance you already have it if you're on Origin. I believe they gave it out at some point in the past few years.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

anyone who wants
Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Game of the Year Edition
or
Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide
quote me with your steam profile

also this is maybe Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
0R2VK-HYN5K-JA9XB

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The voice acting is way, way better in ME2.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Kly posted:

Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide
quote me with your steam profile

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Monkeyhuouse/ Please and thank you!

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Kly posted:

You should play Mass Effect 2. If you buy it as a discount and just hate it quote this post and I’ll see if I can make it up to you.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Fallom posted:

that game where you write notes of encouragement to other people is a strand game

Demons Souls now canonically a Strand game

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pretty obvious that the souls games would be strandies

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
ME2 is definitely the best Mass Effect. It's not ME3 so it can tell its own story without having to stick the landing of the trilogy and wrap up all the continuing side plots, and it's after ME1 which meant they could take what worked from ME1's gameplay and trash the rest (which turned out to be most of it). It's also quite ballsy in that in spends the entire game building up how your final mission is basically suicide, and then actually means it. Obviously you still win in the end, but the amount of Bad poo poo you can make happen in the final sequence is kinda staggering for a triple-A game.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kly posted:

Are you playing as FemShep or GuyShep? GuyShep VA is so many leagues worse than Jennifer Hale I cant even be bothered to learn his name.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Can someone help me to get into Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night please? This game seems like awfully my jam, and I absolutely love Hollow Knight & similar Metrovanias, but this game's combat feels incredibly light & floaty. Like there's no weight to my attacks. Granted I haven't even got past the 1st level, so any cutoff point that the game improves or something?

Bear in mind that I'm totally new to the series, so there may be something that I'm missing.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Shrecknet posted:

Are you playing as FemShep or GuyShep? GuyShep VA is so many leagues worse than Jennifer Hale I cant even be bothered to learn his name.

This is exactly what I was going to post. There are still some clunky moments with FemShep, but the whole game is light years better that way.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

srulz posted:

Can someone help me to get into Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night please? This game seems like awfully my jam, and I absolutely love Hollow Knight & similar Metrovanias, but this game's combat feels incredibly light & floaty. Like there's no weight to my attacks. Granted I haven't even got past the 1st level, so any cutoff point that the game improves or something?

Bear in mind that I'm totally new to the series, so there may be something that I'm missing.

some of the weapon types feel leagues better than others, and the game gets much better when it stops taking 5-10 hits to kill everything. that said, the basic feel doesn't change much even if the later areas are a lot more interesting. it's absolutely not a bad game, i liked it quite a bit, but if it's not clicking for you before the refund limit, it likely won't at all.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

srulz posted:

Combat is supposed to feel that way. You have MegaMan levels of control over your movements in the air and on the ground, you aren't doing anything wrong. Judicious use of the scoot-dodge is the key

srulz posted:

It's the first game in the series.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The only Bloodstained weapons I particularly enjoyed using (aside from a couple of special weapons with unique attacks) were whips. They have a big, satisfying arc, but are very slow to use unless you attack in the air so you cancel their recovery as you land. It gave me just enough to do during combat that it kept things feeling dynamic. Then later in the game I transitioned to just blowing everything up with magic.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Triarii posted:

The only Bloodstained weapons I particularly enjoyed using (aside from a couple of special weapons with unique attacks) were whips. They have a big, satisfying arc, but are very slow to use unless you attack in the air so you cancel their recovery as you land. It gave me just enough to do during combat that it kept things feeling dynamic. Then later in the game I transitioned to just blowing everything up with magic.

Eugh, I hated the whips in that game, katanas were the way more fun. Had some good techniques too.

I would say the weapons don't feel quite as good as the DS Castlevanias, though. It's hard to translate that immediate, kinetic feel from the 2D sprites. The biggest flaw with Bloodstained is feeling a bit too floating, and I think it comes out worst with the weapons.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I only ever played bloodstained like I did Sotn : With the overpowered flurry of hits from the crissaegrim equivalent and its endgame counterpart

combine it with the Welcome Company as a shield and you become a walking blender

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Artelier posted:

That said, there's a chance you already have it if you're on Origin. I believe they gave it out at some point in the past few years.

i do have it! spent 5 minutes getting back into my origin account and there it was. thanks for the heads up.

El_Elegante posted:

You should play Mass Effect 2. If you buy it as a discount and just hate it quote this post and I’ll see if I can make it up to you.

extremely generous of you, i apparently already have ME2 though.

Shrecknet posted:

i chose guyshep because i didnt read much about the game beforehand. can i switch to femshep in ME2?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not naturally if you want to carry your save over but you can use gibbed's editor to change the gender. You'll need to deselect incompatible romances if you did any and maybe gently caress with the appearance data?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ignore the part in Bloodstained where they “warn” you not to get too many shards, that’s bullshit. Get all the shards, grind them up and power them up and find combos that break the game.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Hold on a minute, what?!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Eww. It uses 3D models instead of 2D.

https://twitter.com/DragonsDogma/status/1283191069501530119

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 15, 2020

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
No way! Dragon's Dogma anime?

Yesssssssssssssssss.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I understand why people don’t care much for ME1, but all I can recall about 2 and 3 is “why is this even an RPG”.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
I really liked ME2, but... I can only remember the planet mining. And Krogans. And some pew pewing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ME1: clunky as heck but there's something there under it all.
ME2: Knocked most of the cruft off, and polished the good bits.
ME3: Didn't stick the landing but if you view the whole game as the ending some folks get great moments. And some of the best multiplayer addon to a singleplayer game... ever. So much fun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The planet scanning is terrible but a long while ago, though also quite a long time after release, they changed the base size of the scanner to be 3 or 4 times as big so it’s far less of a pain. Before that the only “upgrade” there was increased the speed at which you were allowed to move the scan circle around.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Samuringa posted:

Though you will forget about the first area entirely and not come back

at least I didn't.

Friendship ended with GEOFF KEIGHLEY

Now JUNJI ITO is my best friend

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Bruceski posted:

ME3: Didn't stick the landing but if you view the whole game as the ending some folks get great moments. And some of the best multiplayer addon to a singleplayer game... ever. So much fun.

Oh yeah, I remember a lot of people enjoying that part of it. Never played 3 myself though.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Bloodstained weapons? Nah man, just get the chainsword spell and use that.

I suppose at endgame you can get all the speed and gun enhancing gear and be a gunslinging cowboy instead for fun.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bruceski posted:

ME1: clunky as heck but there's something there under it all.
ME2: Knocked most of the cruft off, and polished the good bits.

Mass Effect multiplayer ruled

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kibayasu posted:

The planet scanning is terrible but a long while ago, though also quite a long time after release, they changed the base size of the scanner to be 3 or 4 times as big so it’s far less of a pain. Before that the only “upgrade” there was increased the speed at which you were allowed to move the scan circle around.

I liked the scanning, just do it between missions until you feel like doing something else. And find our solar system and scan all the planets. Trust me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ME3 MP was so amazing in its simplicity. I wish Andromeda had just been an MP-focused game with co-op story missions and expanded game modes instead of a bad ME1 imitation. The Division, but Mass Effect would have ruled and Bioware freakin' blew it!!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Playing ME3 months after everyone said it was awful so I had super low expectations made a huge difference, and it let me enjoy the game (which was actually good!) without expecting a satisfying ending. I never tested the low expectations thing on Andromeda though because it sounded like the game was legitimately mediocore at best.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

All parts of ME3 except Tuchanka are bad imo. The ending being poo poo is only a small part of the problem.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Andrast posted:

All parts of ME3 except Tuchanka are bad imo. The ending being poo poo is only a small part of the problem.

:yeah:
The story and the new characters (like the awesome AI from 2 becoming a robodoll in 3) are awful. They had little time to ship the game and it really shows.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

exquisite tea posted:

ME3 MP was so amazing in its simplicity. I wish Andromeda had just been an MP-focused game with co-op story missions and expanded game modes instead of a bad ME1 imitation. The Division, but Mass Effect would have ruled and Bioware freakin' blew it!!

I always thought ME3 MP could have been the next Warframe if Bioware had just spin it off into its own thing. Something a bit more grounded but still out there with fun classes (especially towards the end of ME3 MP) instead of.....whatever Warframe turned itself into.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

BexGu posted:

I always thought ME3 MP could have been the next Warframe if Bioware had just spin it off into its own thing. Something a bit more grounded but still out there with fun classes (especially towards the end of ME3 MP) instead of.....whatever Warframe turned itself into.

ME3 came out before Warframe, iirc. I've never played it, but I remember people pitching it as "Hey you liked that ME3 multiplayer?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Terminally Bored posted:

:yeah:
The story and the new characters (like the awesome AI from 2 becoming a robodoll in 3) are awful. They had little time to ship the game and it really shows.

I liked Vega and Jarvik.