Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ichigo already had to follow an Urahara portal to a new dimension to rescue a kidnapped friend and that didn't stop us from getting it 1:1 rehashed the very next arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kild posted:

Rukia had to fight that guy already

have AA eat grand fisher two birds one stone.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Sydin posted:

All they had to do was make arrancar GF a straight up shape shifter instead of an anglerfish whose lure shape shifted. Ichigo has to battle his mom, the hamfisted drama writes itself.

Skimming this post, Ichigo should have had to fight his Arrancar GF?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Honestly the worst thing about the later plot arcs was how Rukia kept getting sidelined for dozens of chapters at a time.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

MJeff posted:

Skimming this post, Ichigo should have had to fight his Arrancar GF?

That also would have been very interesting if he had to fight Nel.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
As long as we're spitballing, I think it might have been neat to have Grand Fisher skulk back into Karakura Town after the time skip, having gotten far stronger and intent on killing Ichigo now that his powers are gone.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stairmaster posted:

That also would have been very interesting if he had to fight Nel.

Another underused character.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Nah, I think she was used exactly as long as she needed to be. In fact, she overstayed her welcome by several chapters, starting with the next chapter after she was introduced.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

she should have married ichigo instead of orihime

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Most characters in Bleach were underused. And the rest were overused.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
honestly my ideal Bleach is probably one in which Ichigo is just a particularly aggressive ghost social worker in Karakura

like give me Natsume Yuujinchou but with swords. that's all i ask

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I want an epilogue of Halibel and crew rebuilding hueco mundo.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Harribel absolutely should have gotten more screentime than she did.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

I feel like you might have misread something here.

I'm still so incredibly baffled by the Grimmjaw and Uliquorra endings. Does Ichigo like fighting or does he hate it? Is he doing it because he has to or because he's drawn to it? The story would have improved drastically if Ichigo had had consistent motivations. And yeah, if he had a proactive goal.

And maybe let some other characters be the main character for a while. I don't know.

I will say though, despite everything being massive inconsistent and nonsense, Kubo did manage to be far more creative than I ever could. Making new dumb things week after week is still really impressive.

Are the side things like Can't Fear Your Own World any good? I see people in this thread reference it a lot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ichigo likes fighting monsters and hates fighting hot guys. the opposite would be far more interesting, of course.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Wasn't Harribel the king of Hueco Mundo for a bit?

What happened with that?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Wasn't Harribel the king of Hueco Mundo for a bit?

What happened with that?

Got rolled by the quincies. That's literally all we know from the manga, and it sucks.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

she went to the quincy horny jail and never left

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kubo went down a list of characters after deicide finally ended and decided which of them were potentially alive and which were dead. harribel was the highest ranking arrancar, and she survived for no particular reason. this is also where the answer about gin being definitively dead came from.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ichigo/Rukia still lives rent free in my subconscious forever, thanks wasted childhood

Number None is good tho

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

chumbler posted:

That's in the light novels, according to this phone game. She and Shunsui drafted up a truce between HM and SS because Shunsui is good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so i guess they drop the shallow pretense that ss killing hollows is necessary for all life on earth?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Maybe hollows that wander into the human world are fair game for shinigami but they're free to live their lives of misery and cannibalism in Hueco Mundo. Not that it'd ever been implied that shinigami were rolling into Hueco Mundo to exterminate hollows en masse.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TheHan posted:

Maybe hollows that wander into the human world are fair game for shinigami but they're free to live their lives of misery and cannibalism in Hueco Mundo. Not that it'd ever been implied that shinigami were rolling into Hueco Mundo to exterminate hollows en masse.

well, the menos forest did. kubo came up with that one, but decided not to include it in the manga.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean the original conceit of hollows was that they were dead humans who couldn't move on for whatever reason, gave into their grief/madness/whatever, and transformed into monsters. There was a whole episode with Orihime's dead brother that was meant to show us the genesis of hollows. They were a threat because they ate other human souls which prevented them from passing on.

But then all of that got reconned during HM when we found out hollows had their own world and a bunch of them appeared to not actually be born from human souls, and actually got stronger by eating each other vs humans, and also a bunch of them are pretty chill and just wanted to be left the hell alone. So who knows, the whole thing is dumb. Remember hell? Like, hell was actually a real place at one point where hollows went if they were huge pieces of poo poo in real life. But then that just never came up again except for one lovely tie-in movie.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I would not be surprised if shinigami prior to the start of the series were just murdering arrancar on sight because they're racist assholes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Byakuya should have just died to As Nodt and showed up as a ghost (a double ghost?) when Rukia was fighting As Nodt to lend her spiritual support.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

Rebuilding what dude?

It was a giant sandcastle in a desert of sand.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Byakuya should have just died to As Nodt and showed up as a ghost (a double ghost?) when Rukia was fighting As Nodt to lend her spiritual support.

But then we would have missed out on him coming back to...

...what did he do again?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Thoren posted:

Rebuilding what dude?

It was a giant sandcastle in a desert of sand.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I just had to look up As Nodt, because I seriously can't believe there's a character named As Nodt.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Funky Valentine posted:

Literally Pesci from Jojo.

MJeff specifically said sexy.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

But that stair case the cast were going up in the second op looked cool.

Surely that was in the manga.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

One piece looks like poo poo.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

JT Smiley posted:

I just had to look up As Nodt, because I seriously can't believe there's a character named As Nodt.

As Nodt what your country can do for you

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I'm pretty sure Don't Fear Your Own Blade goes into detail about the origins of the setting, but also I don't care

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I'm kind of sad Kubo never titled a chapter "Don't Fear the Reaper", considering all the other titles with "Fear" in them and the fact that "shinigami" was translated as "soul reaper".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did they ever really go into what was going on with Hell? It shows up, what, once early in the series and then never gets mentioned again.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

muscles like this! posted:

Did they ever really go into what was going on with Hell? It shows up, what, once early in the series and then never gets mentioned again.
Either something being planned for a much later arc, or literally just a tie-in for the movie that remains non-canon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kubo had many chances to expand his setting, but instead he doubled down on there being nothing and nowhere other than these two completely featureless planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Kubo did admit he just made new characters when he didn’t know what to do next. I wonder if he even enjoys the writing half of manga.