Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

:lmao:

have some R. Pettibon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

Maybe, but I'm pretty sure that is just the period in which alcohol consumption would have dropped regardless, as it was when the working classes rose from crushing poverty to a quasi-respectable standard of living. It happened in Western Europe as well, where in most countries there was never any form of prohibition on alcohol. Correlation is not causation, and I'd like to see how the study disentangled that.

Prohibition did make sense in the context of America's Puritan tradition and enforcing Protestant supremacism. What I don't really understand is how they reconciled that with their national mythos of loving liberty, freedom from tyranny, big gub'ment telling me what to do, etc. I realize they weren't entirely the same groups, as I believe temperance was mostly a Northern Protestant thing, but I'm amazed at how easily everyone just went along with a blanket ban on alcohol.

It was largely a Puritan thing but the temperance movement was also driven by domestic violence. Part of the reason you had so many women advocating for prohibition was that their husbands would drink all day and beat them when they came home

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

goethe.cx posted:

It was largely a Puritan thing but the temperance movement was also driven by domestic violence. Part of the reason you had so many women advocating for prohibition was that their husbands would drink all day and beat them when they came home

Makes sense, though I have to say if your spouse beats you they're a piece of poo poo regardless of how much they've had to drink. See also: Toesnax

But it's completely in-character to use it as an excuse to declare War on Alcohol instead of addressing the root causes or even domestic violence itself

plus ça change

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Phlegmish posted:

Maybe, but I'm pretty sure that is just the period in which alcohol consumption would have dropped regardless, as it was when the working classes rose from crushing poverty to a quasi-respectable standard of living. It happened in Western Europe as well, where in most countries there was never any form of prohibition on alcohol. Correlation is not causation, and I'd like to see how the study disentangled that.

Prohibition did make sense in the context of America's Puritan tradition and enforcing Protestant supremacism. What I don't really understand is how they reconciled that with their national mythos of loving liberty, freedom from tyranny, big gub'ment telling me what to do, etc. I realize they weren't entirely the same groups, as I believe temperance was mostly a Northern Protestant thing, but I'm amazed at how easily everyone just went along with a blanket ban on alcohol.

The national mythos wasn't the same or as big of a deal as it is now.

This current level of crazy jingoism is pretty new, even if we have always been fairly nationalist.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

e-dt posted:

Has this been posted here yet?

This was created by the author of Powerup Comics!, who also did the excellent Unwinder's Tall Comics which this is a part of. You can find the author on twitter at @UnwinderH and the Tall Comics archive at @TallArchive.

I was at the supermarket doing my weekly shop and this strip inspired me to buy some off-brand Spam because I like making bold choices.

It was okay.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You don’t eat it out of the can, you thinly slice it and fry it in a pan first.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thinly? I've only ever seen fairly thick slices, like the thinnest os about 1/3 in thick

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

goethe.cx posted:

Almost all bars wouldn't allow women in at all. Co-ed drinking didn't become a thing in the US until speakeasies in Prohibition. So therre was nothing to prevent a drunk from dtinking the rent or the kids food away either. The woman couldn't even come in to tell him to come home.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The thinner the slices the greater the crisp surface area. Cutting as thinly as you can is the key to making spam good. (By good I mean ‘mostly tastes like a decent hotdog’)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Monkey posted:

You don’t eat it out of the can, you thinly slice it and fry it in a pan first.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

https://twitter.com/shadowpowerup/status/1283405391452413954?s=21

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

For those who don't want to click through

Unironically can't wait for gamer Dilbert chapter two

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, it's grown on me.

One thing that strikes me as odd is that no one is mad at Alice, but then I guess Dilbert was breaking into Wally's apartment.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The real question is when Gamer Dilbert is going to marry Gamer Betty Boop.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
She is already married and deeply in love with her husband, Gamer Bugs Bunny.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This is from 1919.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I keep thinking about this fantastic edit. Again, do not spend any money on the forums yet.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/iww/status/1283499030455226368?s=21

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

someone please make it stop

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

alexandriao posted:

Agreed

....*sheepishly reaches over and turns monitor on*

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

alexandriao posted:

2020 motto here

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've never fully read a single one of those dog comics. It doesn't seem that bad, but I'm not about to read the webcomic equivalent of War and Peace just to find out

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
This made me laugh, but not for the right reason so I'm posting it here.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

redm posted:

This made me laugh, but not for the right reason so I'm posting it here.

I'm the artist who's never actually seen a coat so they don't know coats don't have buttons all the way down.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
That lady is a raper

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zzulu posted:

That lady is a raper

She's explicitly reaching for his gun, not his dick. Furthermore, as a Redditor I

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

She's on a date with a child.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grevling posted:

She doesn't know they're are children. Probably met them at a bar where they used the same disguise to get past the doorman.

If you have a drink with someone at a bar you assume it's a single adult man, not two children in a trenchcoat.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Skwirl posted:

She doesn't know they're are children. Probably met them at a bar where they used the same disguise to get past the doorman.

If you have a drink with someone at a bar you assume it's a single adult man, not two children in a trenchcoat.

It's Ben Shapiro and Tim Pool.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's Ben Shapiro and Tim Pool.

That would probably be even more distressing than finding out you were actually on a date with two ten year olds.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Grevling posted:

:confused: that's just Vincent Adultman?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zzulu posted:

That lady is a raper

And a serial pedophile, those two kids should shoot her

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
How much for semen? Asking for a friend

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

If you just want some to play with, it's pretty cheap to make at home.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm the artist who's never actually seen a coat so they don't know coats don't have buttons all the way down.

Real coats have buttons all the way down and they also all switch sides at the halfway point :colbert:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

10-15 years if you start giving it away.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

So THAT's the origin story for Bun-bun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene