Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Cojawfee posted:

So if 150 million of the sales have while Microsoft owned it, that's like 3 billion dollars just from sales. That doesn't include license fees for toys and clothes and whatnot. I'm sure Microsoft really regrets buying it.

You're assuming everyone there is paying 20 dollars for a copy which is not at all true, especially considering how many mobile copies are included in there which is 7 bucks at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You're assuming everyone there is paying 20 dollars for a copy which is not at all true, especially considering how many mobile copies are included in there which is 7 bucks at most.

Are they counting the free version in windows 10 for active players?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Didn't Microsoft use some money that was in tax protected portfolios oversea and that's part of the reason for the purchase?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

American McGay posted:

I think the video game with 100 million active users and the most popular game on YouTube would be worth a few billion dollars but I guess you just know better than everyone else.

It's not a hard bar to jump over in this thread

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lmfao even the companies fans report earnings in the form of hours played

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

Didn't Microsoft use some money that was in tax protected portfolios oversea and that's part of the reason for the purchase?

Yes they have a fund that can not be repatriated without taxing so they need to buy big ticket foreign assets from time to time

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
GTAV sold about 2/3rd as many copies as MC (with no caveats about x number of copies sold before R* owned it), most of them for double what anyone has ever paid for Minecraft and has a microtransaction model for GTAO that microsoft would nuke the planet to replicate in MC and if tea leaf readers are to be believed that whole endeavor, the most profitable entertainment product of all time, is somewhere north of 5 billion.

If MC was even sniffing the heels of that racket with a game of their own you would never ever hear the end of it.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 16, 2020

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

When you get to be Microsoft's size the whole "what was a worthy expense" equation gets really weird. Like even if Minecraft has only made them $500 million so far (just a number out of my rear end) that's money they can more readily use and looks good on their profit sheets versus the $2.5 billion that was far more restricted and less useful to them (I know it doesn't make rational sense). Also Microsoft plays a loooooooooong game with its stuff, like when they straight-up gave everyone in China 100% legit copies of their software if they brought in a convincing-looking counterfeit copy. Microsoft is probably totally OK with it taking a decade or two for their purchase to make up for their initial expense.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Microsoft keeps giving away Windows 10. They wouldn't do that if it didn't get them something in return.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Microsoft keeps giving away Windows 10. They wouldn't do that if it didn't get them something in return.

Microsoft's software has been getting easier to install and activate lately, but in saying that they also nail companies heavily if they're caught with software that isn't licensed correctly (which is easy to do with how confusing a lot of the licensing can be and aspects of it being essentially on the honor system).

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Minecraft is also a gateway into the education sector, and can be a great tool for discovering how to use computers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ontop of 150 million units sold since buying and licensing, Minecraft also has a recurring subscription called realms for the game thats been around in some form for like half a decade. I know microsoft has never unfurled a banner with "Mission Accomplished" written on it but there is realistically no way they haven't recouped that money.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Plus a nickle on every Halloween costume and toy sword.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

GTAV sold about 2/3rd as many copies as MC (with no caveats about x number of copies sold before R* owned it), most of them for double what anyone has ever paid for Minecraft and has a microtransaction model for GTAO that microsoft would nuke the planet to replicate in MC and if tea leaf readers are to be believed that whole endeavor, the most profitable entertainment product of all time, is somewhere north of 5 billion.

If MC was even sniffing the heels of that racket with a game of their own you would never ever hear the end of it.
You know Minecraft is full of micro transactions, yeah? Also memberships.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Microsoft does not need to publish their exact dollar value per subscriber or whatever other internals, especially not to shareholders, in a scenario like this where you are only courting very stupid activist investors to strangle a golden goose.

For a similar example, Disney does not release D+ programming breakouts in detail to shareholders for this exact reason, because then you'd have idiots demanding Disney exclusively make sequels to <top rated program among 14 year old girls here>

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

minecraft wouldve been worth more than they paid with all those sales if you pointedly ignore all costs related to generating those sales, but with those factored in they almost certainly havnt broken even yet still.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

like what ms has spent on minecraft didnt begin and end with dropping $2.5 billion lol

Cojawfee posted:

they gave away windows 10 because unless youre buying enterprise theyre selling your data

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

isnt the idea that if you have a fat stack of liquid capital doing nothing then its preferable to drop some of it on an asset that would generate more in income than it would from dribbling in interest sitting in a bank? aiming to recoup 100% of a $2.5b outlay on a videogame license is insanity

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yes

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

kecske posted:

isnt the idea that if you have a fat stack of liquid capital doing nothing then its preferable to drop some of it on an asset that would generate more in income than it would from dribbling in interest sitting in a bank? aiming to recoup 100% of a $2.5b outlay on a videogame license is insanity

i dunno i think maybe the video game console enthusiasts know business better than the people making decisions at a 1 trillion dollar company.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hambeet posted:

i dunno i think maybe the video game console enthusiasts know business better than the people making decisions at a 1 trillion dollar company.

The console enthusiasts knew better than them in 2013 at least.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1283755906535051264?s=19

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That's cool about xCloud. Hopefully it'll actually be fully featured on iPhone by then.

Another statement in that post is eliciting concern online, where he says Xbox Studios games will be cross-gen for "a couple of years", making people wonder what the point of this console is when it sounds like it's just another mid-gen refresh right now. It's definitely a different approach from Sony's "gently caress the PS4" strategy where they're unapologetically going whole hog into making SSD-centric exclusives.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Just to be clear, it is rolled into Game Pass Ultimate. Xcloud is a good value add but I would probably never pay for it, so I'm happy with this.

Also, and I don't think this was known, but the Kinect isn't supported on the Series X!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hambeet posted:

ur right thats why we all love kinect and rrod didnt happen

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zerot posted:

Also, and I don't think this was known, but the Kinect isn't supported on the Series X!

Well that's neat. Not that I think people were keeping Kinects around, but it does mean that the only Just Dance controlling option will be using a smart phone, making it the only platform where this is your only option.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

Another statement in that post is eliciting concern online, where he says Xbox Studios games will be cross-gen for "a couple of years", making people wonder what the point of this console is when it sounds like it's just another mid-gen refresh right now. It's definitely a different approach from Sony's "gently caress the PS4" strategy where they're unapologetically going whole hog into making SSD-centric exclusives.

Who knows how long this will be the case and whether exceptions will be made, but I like the move in the short-term. Things are kind of bad economically in parts of the world right now and there's a lot of uncertainty. It usually takes a while for more than a couple of games to "need" to be next-gen exclusive, anyway.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lockhart having 8 gb of ram will keep them last gen for way longer than a few years

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Sounds like xbox is winning the future

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Real hurthling! posted:

Lockhart having 8 gb of ram will keep them last gen for way longer than a few years

They could be planning on using that super-fast SSD as virtual memory and having weird-rear end performance issues.

Edit: actually, hasn't Sony been talking about a memory mapped way of developing for the PS5 where there's unified RAM / SSD?

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 16, 2020

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

hambeet posted:

uh yeah that's why we all have PS4's lmfao

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 16, 2020

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

hambeet posted:

talking about the xbox wing of microsoft right now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

They could be planning on using that super-fast SSD as virtual memory and having weird-rear end performance issues.

Edit: actually, hasn't Sony been talking about a memory mapped way of developing for the PS5 where there's unified RAM / SSD?

I think that was ms actually

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't know if Sony's mentioned this specifically but it would be somewhat feasible if necessary. In fact I remember a goon on here waaaay back when SSDs were a new thing (when the biggest drives were 240 gigs and stupidly expensive) whose company was doing these nuts scientific calculations on a server, and they built a new server with 2 terabytes of "RAM" by having 512 gigs of actual real RAM and 1.5tb of RAID 0-striped SSDs. They specified the SSDs weren't as fast as true RAM but still worlds beyond traditional hard drives and it was still helpful for the lower-priority parts of the data being crunched.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If someone wanted to spend the time you could also find hundreds of posts by people here in 2013 saying that launching with no backwards compatibility for the console with the highest attach rate of all time was also a giant mistake. We're also the ones who yanked them off the ledge after the 2013 E3 presentation debacle.

The back compat thing was a mistake Sony made too (and personally I have a conspiracy brain that says they coordinated on that to avoid either one going through the cost and trouble of implementing it) but it was a much bigger fumble for Xbox to offer buyers the chance to painlessly switch teams coming off of the 360's performance.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 16, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

backcompat is a mostly pointless feature that unless you can implement it in the way the series x and ps5 are only serves to add cost to a device. doing it software based is also stupid because youre devoting untold amount of time to doing half ports with a weird wrapper.

Twerk from Home posted:

i think the sony thing is more about hitting transfer rates on the ssd that let you stream data into memory fast enough to avoid loading unless theres another thing theyve been talking about ive missed. series x transfer on compressed data should be high enough to get most of the way there as well really but it wont be something that can be designed around with a mandate to keep xbones compatible.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If someone wanted to spend the time you could also find hundreds of posts by people here in 2013 saying that launching with no backwards compatibility for the console with the highest attach rate of all time was also a giant mistake. We're also the ones who yanked them off the ledge after the 2013 E3 presentation debacle.

The back compat thing was a mistake Sony made too (and personally I have a conspiracy brain that says they coordinated on that to avoid either one going through the cost and trouble of implementing it) but it was a much bigger fumble for Xbox to offer buyers the chance to painlessly switch teams coming off of the 360's performance.

the 360 and especially the ps3 being fully compatible with this gen wouldve been insanely expensive to do and ramped up the costs on the machines even higher. w the ps3 i dont know if you could even practically do it given it would need to involve including a whole cell cpu inside the ps4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They are going to dump all their ps1-3 game files that they cant sell anymore onto ps now streaming and call it a day and the world will keep spinning

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Stux posted:

the 360 and especially the ps3 being fully compatible with this gen wouldve been insanely expensive to do and ramped up the costs on the machines even higher. w the ps3 i dont know if you could even practically do it given it would need to involve including a whole cell cpu inside the ps4.

I don't doubt it but the penalty for not figuring it out in any way shape or form for a launch window was getting absolutely pummeled for an entire console generation because you lost any actual way to keep a leash on 360 owners.

This is, of course, in the alternate universe where Microsoft wasn't already high on their own supply thinking they had 360 owners so locked into brand loyalty that they could kill off the concept of actually owning a game and demand everyone be online 24/7 so they could sell the Pentagon access to a camera they forced into every home and announce all of it at E3 like it was an amazing great thing everyone should love lmfaooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i dont think it makes any difference, the reason that happened was because they released a more expensive console that ran games worse. interestingly the generation before where the 360 did well, sony released a more expensive console that ran games worse and had backwards compatibility and they still lost a larger amount of their market than ms did moving to xbox one.