Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

trying to jack off posted:

second wave lockdowns baby, gameing has never been better

I am so loving jealous dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Arrhythmia posted:

You can't mention this without pictures Major!

I don't know what makes me retarded with city builders now because I know I played Simcity 2k fine as a kid but I can't even make it through the Skylines tutorial now, lol. Just like connecting water and electricity to everything is too much for me

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

this game is sweet :cool:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

You can't mention this without pictures Major!

Hah! Very true - I should've known better! :D I'll try and remember to take a screenshot tonight/when I next play, once some more people have moved into the whole area I've built etc, so it's a little prettier to look at.

goferchan posted:

I don't know what makes me retarded with city builders now because I know I played Simcity 2k fine as a kid but I can't even make it through the Skylines tutorial now, lol. Just like connecting water and electricity to everything is too much for me

Yeah I dunno, CS seems to be a bit harder to start, compared to other city builders I played years ago (haven't played a non-CS builder since Simcity 2k either though, so I'm hardly a vet). What I tend to do though, is build up the infrastructure of an initial area that I plan on zoning (like, the size of a large suburb, or two regular suburbs I guess. Hopefully your suburb sizes are roughly the same size as mine, so that this actually makes sense and I'm not leading you astray! :v:) and then build water+power generation off to one side.

But yeah, so once that's done, I just blow the rest of my money on putting pipes throughout the whole area I've built roads for (so I won't have to build more, until after I already have a stable foundation of a town. Which I think is around when you get the first 'congrats!' milestone popup) and running power lines to the edge of the area. The trick is to go absolutely hog-wild on spending - blow ALL your money on this stuff, since you're guaranteed to go into the negatives anyway, early on.
Then once I've finished that, I just hit play, let people slowly move in (starting from the end with the power lines of course, heh) and wait until I go to something like -$10k I think it is, which will automatically fire a free loan of ~$50k. I use that to buy whatever else I happen to need (normally more power generation for my windfarm) and make sure to blow every cent again, since I'll still be losing money. Then just wait a while, zoning more as demands increase, then I quickly start making money and coming out of the negatives again.

If that's all that was keeping you away from CS, uou should really give it another go at some point, when you've got the time to spare! I quite like how creative you can get with everything, and how good a built-up city can look

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm still at home but extremely busy and work is depressing because all my clients are making dozens of people redundant lol. At least I have Death Stranding to soothe me in the evenings.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

Oh right, so you're in Vic, then? Things are going well covid-wise here in SA (I bet dandrews wishes he was here instead of over there, and is regretting his "why would we go to SA?" comments the other week! :D haha) so I've been back in the office after months of WFH, sadly. I hope you get in some solid gaming time in the coming weeks!

As for me though, in my (sadly small amount of) recent free time, I've been diving back into Cities: Skylines. I'm building a snowy city this time around, which hasn't been great for my citizens' energy consumption (and I'm going 100% green, so I'm constantly scrambling for more money to expand my windfarm). I'm trying to make the residental areas a bit more orderly and better-designed - especially with regards to suburbs adjacent to/connected to main roads. Trying to do a system with service roads and a nature strip between the houses and the main road, like what we have here in Adelaide.
It's still very early on in the game though, so I'll see how it goes! I'm also wondering if it's a good idea to get the Campus expansion, actually. I've got most of the other main ones (other than the green one. Not sure if I should get that. Probably, seeing as I'm trying to build a green city, after all :v: )

its the downside of living in the city that has bars open every night of the week. adelaide up brother!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

man nurse posted:

I’ve been working during the entirety of this pandemic because I’m an essential worker aka poor but I’ve been playing Witcher 3 and also just beat Deadly Premonition 2 after several crashes. Good sequel, shame it’s a technical nightmare.

thank you for your service

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
buddy of mine gifted me death stranding for my birthday but I'm probably not gonna be able to play it until Sunday. not an essential worker but i'm working every day this week out of necessity and my gamer gland is withering

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright, well as requested here are a couple of screenshots of my CS city - Iceburg. I've expanded a little more, so I'm now in a comfortable position, income-wise. But anyway, I won't clog up the page with IMG tags, so here are the links:

Standard view
Zone view

So yeah, at this stage the only way into the city is via a tunnel under my industrial zone, leading into the main roundabout. I'm gonna make a bridge/overpass with that western road and set up an outer suburb/satellite city by the lake over there, in the nearish future. I think I might also make a truck-only toll road leading from the industrial zone out to the main highway. (Probably the north-south one on the left. I'll have to add one of those massive, expensive T-junctions to be able to do it though)
Somewhere in the middle of that I'll turn the centre of the roundabout into a big fancy park I think, but I'm not 100% on that yet. The L-shaped bits surrounding it will eventually have bulky buildings like the hospital, police headquarters, etc. I think. Not certain yet, though - I'm mostly just playing it by ear at this point, rather than actually planning ahead like what a civil engineer should actually be doing, haha

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

man nurse posted:

I’ve been working during the entirety of this pandemic because I’m an essential worker aka poor but I’ve been playing Witcher 3 and also just beat Deadly Premonition 2 after several crashes. Good sequel, shame it’s a technical nightmare.

Thank you for tour work, be blessed gamer

Coming up in two weeks vacation and nearly finished dark souls 2 only the dlc left and Gonna play dark souls 3 for the whole thing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

my job probably isn't going to exist again until 2025 so I've jjst been collecting unemployment and playing animal crossing .

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

my job probably isn't going to exist again until 2025 so I've jjst been collecting unemployment and playing animal crossing .

lucky....

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Training posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Alright, well as requested here are a couple of screenshots of my CS city - Iceburg. I've expanded a little more, so I'm now in a comfortable position, income-wise. But anyway, I won't clog up the page with IMG tags, so here are the links:

Standard view
Zone view

So yeah, at this stage the only way into the city is via a tunnel under my industrial zone, leading into the main roundabout. I'm gonna make a bridge/overpass with that western road and set up an outer suburb/satellite city by the lake over there, in the nearish future. I think I might also make a truck-only toll road leading from the industrial zone out to the main highway. (Probably the north-south one on the left. I'll have to add one of those massive, expensive T-junctions to be able to do it though)
Somewhere in the middle of that I'll turn the centre of the roundabout into a big fancy park I think, but I'm not 100% on that yet. The L-shaped bits surrounding it will eventually have bulky buildings like the hospital, police headquarters, etc. I think. Not certain yet, though - I'm mostly just playing it by ear at this point, rather than actually planning ahead like what a civil engineer should actually be doing, haha

drat, i like that roundabout in the middle. probably a traffic nightmare but aesthetically drat good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

lucky. i got pulled out of furlough early only my job isnt actually back yet so i'm mostly sitting on my hands and doing scutwork, plus everyone thinks i should be happy to be back so i have to keep acting like i am

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Standard view
Zone view

Very cool. Looks a little half dressed though, something nice definitely needs to go inside the roundabout. I'll post some pics of my last city once I'm home.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

que sera sera posted:

been playing Fire Emblem: 3 Houses 8 hours a day for 2 weeks :cheers:

Bit role in the Julius Caesar sequence of Mel brooks hit film history of the world part i saying waiter ill take the covid please and waggling his eyebrows

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

paper mario is so fuckin good

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

Bit role in the Julius Caesar sequence of Mel brooks hit film history of the world part i saying waiter ill take the covid please and waggling his eyebrows

lol

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Fungah! posted:

drat, i like that roundabout in the middle. probably a traffic nightmare but aesthetically drat good

Ah, well it actually ends up being pretty effective, to be honest! Especially since I've ulgraded it to be a highway - so everyone just whizzes around at lightspeed, before turning off it, without slowing down! :D It's even OK with all the trucks going through it - although I expect that'll gradually become a problem as I expand. But once I build the extra truck-only road onto the highway, I should be pretty good.

Arrhythmia posted:

Very cool. Looks a little half dressed though, something nice definitely needs to go inside the roundabout. I'll post some pics of my last city once I'm home.

Oh yeah for sure - it's definitely a bit of an eyesore right now. I haven't been game enough to make a nature reserve in there yet (never done it before) but I'll give it a go soon. That or a theme park maybe.
And sounds good! I'm definitely interested to see how others here build their cities

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

the little drawings for each of the characters you get :keke:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Oh yeah for sure - it's definitely a bit of an eyesore right now. I haven't been game enough to make a nature reserve in there yet (never done it before) but I'll give it a go soon. That or a theme park maybe.
And sounds good! I'm definitely interested to see how others here build their cities

This is the one I just finished. Easily the biggest one I've ever done, the population is somewhere around 110K, which really causes it to chug. I'm super proud of how it turned out though. I even managed to get the damnable "unlock every building" achievement using it, finally.

This is my current one. Still a work in progress; I'm trying to be a little more sparse. In particular, I'm trying to only build in the clearings in the map. I really like how the division in the main road inside the central industrial area turned out!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

heeheex2 posted:

paper mario is so fuckin good

It and TTYD are absolute treasures and deserve the decades of praise

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

In Training posted:

It and TTYD are absolute treasures and deserve the decades of praise

TTYD pwns but i've never played the original. thinking it's about high time to change that.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Oh wow, yeah those look great! I like that forked main road, too - having everything spread out is a good idea, for a good-looking result. I guess the added road costs and pipes might make early-game a bit more costly, right? Definitely worth it though
I like having river-straddling cities like the first one, too - with a few bridges in between. I think once I've finished this city, I'll see if I can find a cool custom map and do a Manhattan-like city.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My job has slowed down a lot recently so I just start late and take four hour lunches etc but I can never use that time to immerse into a game with relaxed gaming feelings. Be careful what you wish for

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A+ well done major

...see me after class

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

symbolic posted:

TTYD pwns but i've never played the original. thinking it's about high time to change that.

it lacks a bit of the polish that TTYD had but its still an absolutely charming game, def worth a playthrough

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hmm, now that I've had some time to think about it on the bus*, I'm wondering if (once I've fleshed-out the suburb I've just built, and made another couple to the west, so that it's roughly symmetrical with the eastern side) I should rip up that main road through the centre of the north, replace it with a highway, then extend it north through a big CBD packed chock-full of offices and high-density commercial areas. Maybe with a big 'NYC central park' kind of deal in the middle, which the highway goes around. Then have the highway eventually extend north-west and link up with that north-south highway on the left? Hmm...

* Speaking of which, if/when you have time, would you be able to show me the public transport networks for your amazing city, Arrhythmia? No pressure or anything, though. I'm just quite curious about how you've optimized it, and how dense/sparse your bus routes etc. are.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1289613867295727617?s=20

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

theres now a curfew here, the year of gameing grows only more powerful

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

theres now a curfew here, the year of gameing grows only more powerful

I started playing kingdom hearts 1 two days ago and I think I'm almost done I've completely lost track of time and space

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

why is this thread a 3? mods?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

que sera sera posted:

because cornavirus isnt real and is a conspiracy caused by 5g internet gamers trying to get a holiday

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

I started playing kingdom hearts 1 two days ago and I think I'm almost done I've completely lost track of time and space

i played so much kingdom come the other day i was seeing the game systems and trying to min max my output while i cooked dinner

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

que sera sera posted:

the rating buttons are right above the link back to the thread index and i always rate threads 2 or 3 on accident whilst browsing on my phone

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

In Training posted:

i wish i was still working from home so i could play animal crossing for 12 hours a day like i was doing back in april/may

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Playing Disco Elysium it’s so drat good

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fantasizing about quitting my job and playing games all day. convincing myself that maybe, just maybe I could have a career in streaming and sustain myself that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Every time I try to interact with Cuno and CUnoesse in Disco with like 50 of my buffs blaring klaxons on how to prcocced and I get called a ugly homosexualist and quite likely a dog rapist instead