Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
All I know is the only place I can play Skate3 on a modern console is on an Xbone and therefore it has won by default

Edit:

quote:

The Skate 4 development team has added a very big name. Dan McCulloch, the former head of Xbox Live and longtime Microsoft veteran, has joined EA to become Studio GM for the Skate development team.

huh

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Stux posted:

the reason that happened was because they released a more expensive console that ran games worse.

finding myself agreeing with stux

there's just no papering over how wrong they got everything. I like back compatibility but it's never actually been important.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I do question if the backwards compatibility dynamic has changed now that console games are so different in nature. With the exception of Final Fantasy XI (which didn't even run on later PS2 consoles), every PS1 and PS2 game was something you could reasonably be "done with" quickly. Like even if you were doing the equivalent of a Platinum trophy with a game, that wasn't that much of a demand and would be a below average time investment compared to the time required for most PS3/360 and beyond titles. So those games were, in a sense, easier to abandon for the most part on a psychological level. Like, you can "100%" all of the PS2 Grand Theft Auto games combined in probably far less time than you could "100%" just GTA 5, and that also has grindy online keeping people tied to it. It doesn't take that long to say "OK, I have done everything there is to do in GTA III and thus never have to play it ever again", whereas it's a much taller order in GTA 5 (people can obviously lose interest and abandon the game for other reasons but it's far less likely to be due to having "seen it all" and a lack of original things to do like with the pre-PS3/360 titles). I'd similarly wager there's probably a far higher percentage of people who have gotten 120 stars in Super Mario 64 than have gotten even 500 moons in Super Mario Odyssey, let alone the full 999. And getting every item/heart container/etc. in earlier Zelda games was pretty normal when in Breath of the Wild it's very much not because there's just so drat much to it, and some people who beat the game but didn't get everything may still psychologically think "well I'll get back to it eventually and so I want to keep it around for when I do", when if you got every heart container and item in Link to the Past you can easily be completely shut of it short of doing things like speedrunning or randomizers and fine with trading the game in or whatever.

How many people out there with PS4s and PS4 games can say they're totally OK with fully severing and exclusively running PS5-native software? It's almost certainly a lot less than going from PS3->PS4 was. I still don't think it's a system-selling killer feature, but I'd argue it's nonetheless increased in importance since last gen.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i dont think thats a common thing and theres plenty of older games with extremely long tails on that people just dropped. most people only buy a couple of games a year and move on with them once the next one comes out. i think that argument would make more sense if we werent also seeing multiple giant yearly franchises that still sell ridiculous numbers despite all having pretty large potential playtimes within each individual title.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Sony just giving everyone who buys a PS5 GTA Online solves that problem for a huge % of the people who have it

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

TheScott2K posted:

Sony just giving everyone who buys a PS5 GTA Online solves that problem for a huge % of the people who have it

Did they actually give more details on that? I know they were giving away millions of dollars (of virtual cash) to players and confirmed gta5 will be on ps5 but is it just gonna be like if you own gta4 on ps4 you get ps5 version upgraded for free?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

Did they actually give more details on that? I know they were giving away millions of dollars (of virtual cash) to players and confirmed gta5 will be on ps5 but is it just gonna be like if you own gta4 on ps4 you get ps5 version upgraded for free?

I think everyone just gets it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

It sounds like they're releasing a free client that just contains the GTA Online component of the game without the single player content. It seems they're also releasing the actual single player GTA5 but this will probably a paid product (I could see them adding in new content of some kind to justify the price, maybe relating to the rumored story mode DLC from eons ago).

I actually went back and looked at the games available at launch on both systems and there's a lot of F2P titles there to avoid killing those golden geese. Also this is obviously a different issue but some of the bigger AAA titles that happened to launch before the new consoles, even if only a week or two earlier, made arrangements for $10 upgrades (physical on both platforms where you traded in PS3/360 disc for a PS4/XB1 disc, digital also on PS4 where you kept both versions) to ensure people wouldn't hold off on buying the game at its proper earlier launch, and I think Call of Duty Ghosts also made assurances regarding online progress carrying over.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bc is important now because of digital libraries

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I mean yeah at this point the sales from the gtav client are nothing compared to the revenue from gta online. So it makes sense to just go ahead and package it up as a free title.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://mobile.twitter.com/aarongre...779467278643200

I find this game of chicken Sony and Microsoft are playing with the price announcement amusing.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

univbee posted:

It sounds like they're releasing a free client that just contains the GTA Online component of the game without the single player content. It seems they're also releasing the actual single player GTA5 but this will probably a paid product (I could see them adding in new content of some kind to justify the price, maybe relating to the rumored story mode DLC from eons ago).

I actually went back and looked at the games available at launch on both systems and there's a lot of F2P titles there to avoid killing those golden geese. Also this is obviously a different issue but some of the bigger AAA titles that happened to launch before the new consoles, even if only a week or two earlier, made arrangements for $10 upgrades (physical on both platforms where you traded in PS3/360 disc for a PS4/XB1 disc, digital also on PS4 where you kept both versions) to ensure people wouldn't hold off on buying the game at its proper earlier launch, and I think Call of Duty Ghosts also made assurances regarding online progress carrying over.

There's a ton of content they made for the multiplayer mode that they could repurpose into single player DLC or a San Andreas Stories kind of thing.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

by the time my digital library disappearing is something to be remotely concerned about ill have already installed cfw on whatever console is about to get knocked off

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Stux posted:

by the time my digital library disappearing is something to be remotely concerned about ill have already installed cfw on whatever console is about to get knocked off

Finally bought a New 2DS XL to do just that like a month ago.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

I find this game of chicken Sony and Microsoft are playing with the price announcement amusing.

I mean "Games games games" is progress over "TV TV TV Spworts Spworts Spworts", at least.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sony announced price, didn't they? Is it even a game of chicken anymore?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

no prices are announced. leaks say 399/499

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1283823486725758976

Digital One S and X being discontinued, S regular remaining.

I think this is a pretty big indicator that Lockhart will be filling the One X position in the line up.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Couldn't be more excited about all the Unity platformers and UE4+ shooters the teams Microsoft bought have managed to turn around in 18 months. Drink every time it looks like a Switch could run this at 540p

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

where is that lttp rip off where you play as a fox from their last e3?
even their indie trailer reels are half vaporware.

that chud game last night, etc.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TheScott2K posted:

Couldn't be more excited about all the Unity platformers and UE4+ shooters the teams Microsoft bought have managed to turn around in 18 months. Drink every time it looks like a Switch could run this at 540p

Don't forget the grossest trailer I've seen in years, Scorn with the full on cum-dripping alien cocks.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Build engine is back baby and it's in 4k

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

scorn spent the last couple years buying podcast ad reads for their game so that seems now like a winning strategy to get 3 minutes in a microsoft presentation

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

Build engine is back baby and it's in 4k

It's such a shame that Ion Fury is a good game but the developer has some backwards views that even make it into the game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Series X upgrades for Gears 5

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1283836631045353475?s=20

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

now that's a 500 dollar value

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Microsoft betting on Gears 5 being the "I haven't played it it's new to me" game on series x, like Konkey Dong Tropical Freeze on the switch

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

Microsoft betting on Gears 5 being the "I haven't played it it's new to me" game on series x, like Konkey Dong Tropical Freeze on the switch

Or any Wii U games on the Switch.

Or The Last of Us.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah but the game is still boring and imho one of the worst stories after judgment and possibly 4.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Gears 5 got it's 4th seasonal patch and the game is finally worth existing. It only took alot of the people that were in power leaving but we're here. Good on them.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

TheScott2K posted:

Well I mean I definitely haven't played it, despite having gamepass and like 3 terabytes free lmfao

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah I didn't bother playing the game either despite having Gamepass. The series just comes across as mediocre mindless shooters with little substance and lots of swearing.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Stux posted:

What’s cfw?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah I didn't bother playing the game either despite having Gamepass. The series just comes across as mediocre mindless shooters with little substance and lots of swearing.

Gears 2 and 3 basically perfected cover shooter mechanics. It's a different thing than first person shooters, and there's been tons of games that imitated them but didn't do it as well. 4 feels a little off, but I hear 5 feels better.

If you don't like cover shooters, then you won't like them. The stories are really silly, setpieces were impressive on an Xbox 360 but feel really dated now, but the core gameplay loop is really satisfying and that's why people are still playing Horde mode and talking about this game, even though it failed to evolve with the times. I like Gears.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Gears 2 and 3 basically perfected cover shooter mechanics. It's a different thing than first person shooters, and there's been tons of games that imitated them but didn't do it as well. 4 feels a little off, but I hear 5 feels better.

If you don't like cover shooters, then you won't like them. The stories are really silly, setpieces were impressive on an Xbox 360 but feel really dated now, but the core gameplay loop is really satisfying and that's why people are still playing Horde mode and talking about this game, even though it failed to evolve with the times. I like Gears.

I guess I can give the latest one a shot.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

El_Elegante posted:

What’s cfw?

custom firmware. once a consoles so end of life theyre cutting it off of their online and you cant even download digital purchases i think youre pretty free and clear to go ham at that point, theyre literally saying they dont want to make money from that system anymore.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Binary domain is a much better play than any gears game.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
is horde mode still inscrutably complicated?

I might give it a try if that mode is fun and not "Here's even more wacky doodads and systems for those of you who memorized and got bored of the other giant pile of wacky doodads and systems we tacked on the last couple of games".

aka COD Zombies-itis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Well I mean I definitely haven't played it, despite having gamepass and like 3 terabytes free lmfao

My 4 month trial of PC GamePass resulted in about 2 hours of Dishonored 2, an hour of Pacman Championship Edition DX2, and installed-but-unplayed copies of Streets of Rage 4 and Mother Russia Bleeds