Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just so:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

I bought one just for VR and it owns, it was $2000 at Costco but they don't sell this exact desk model anymore:

http://bed-and-room.com/editions-a-pricing/full-portrait/bed-and-room-wall-bed-cronus12pd-dsk-wn-detail

Wow, thanks for the tip. I never planned on getting a costco membership but we need a murphy bed for our third bedroom/office and most options were $3000 + shipping of unknown quality, you just saved us about $1000.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

LLSix posted:

I'm thinking about giving Skyrim VR another try. I was frustrated with it's very poor VR UI last time, but I haven't found anything I liked more either. So I'll give it a second chance.

Does anyone have opinions about Sirvagg's mod guides? It looks like his is the most recent guide and it's been over a year since I last had Skyrim installed so I figure I'll probably give it a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlxiQEYH02I

this channel has a couple of videos about modding Skyrim and the recommendations are good

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
How do I keep the Oculus Link plugged into the Quest? Barely moving makes it slip right out now and it is starting to get annoying.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Airspace posted:

How do I keep the Oculus Link plugged into the Quest? Barely moving makes it slip right out now and it is starting to get annoying.

Small Velcro tie down to route the cable along the head straps should do the trick.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

wasn't there a thing for Skyrim one-click-modpacks?
it was kind of a big deal a few months ago.

i've spent way too much time modding skyrim and then only playing it for 1 hour afterwards to even bother getting skyrim vr. i'd just end up spending 10 hours modding it again and play it for 10 minutes

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I'm pretty sure it's the usual rigamarole if you're looking for a vanilla experience. The unofficial patch, better textures, a weather mod, the mod that makes poo poo with few pixels into poo poo with many pixels, VR IK so you can see your body, and the big tiddy lusty argonian maid strip club mod

the perfect vanilla experience

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Penpal posted:

the perfect vanilla experience

a vanilla skyrim experience is anything but perfect
the perfect skyrim is one where you're walking the very edge of having a playable game full of anime girls and flying trains and instant CTDs

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

blunt posted:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000093069884.html

$36 on aliexpress atm with a bunch of good reviews

This one showed up today - 15 days from China seems pretty good all things considered.

It's all plastic (as expected), but none of it appears to be 3d printed - seems solid enough. Very easy to install - the hardest part was getting the old strap off (you have to work the velcro sides all the way out, then push something thin down each side to release some latches to pull the old strap through). Took me a few minutes once installed to angle & tighten everything to get the right weight distribution, but now it feels much comfier than the og strap (for the 5 minutes I've worn it at least).

Initial impressions are that it seems worth the 35bux if you dislike the OG strap or prefer these halo designs.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

blunt posted:

This one showed up today - 15 days from China seems pretty good all things considered.

drat it, mine is still stuck in a warehouse thousands of Km away :argh:

(looks better than I thought it would, thanks for the pics)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That looks really interesting. At 35 bucks I might try a halo even though I already have a DAS.

What do you plan to do for audio?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Martytoof posted:

That looks really interesting. At 35 bucks I might try a halo even though I already have a DAS.

What do you plan to do for audio?

I've always just used the inbuilt audio so that's probably my plan. I'll drop an update when i try it this evening

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

blunt posted:

I've always just used the inbuilt audio so that's probably my plan. I'll drop an update when i try it this evening

Even the cheapest of buds are an improvement over the built-in speakers, it's very much worth the (minimal) additional step.

Personally, I'm using my regular IEM's, but I've got some Koss KSC75s on the way to mod into the new strap.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Inacio posted:

wasn't there a thing for Skyrim one-click-modpacks?
it was kind of a big deal a few months ago.

i've spent way too much time modding skyrim and then only playing it for 1 hour afterwards to even bother getting skyrim vr. i'd just end up spending 10 hours modding it again and play it for 10 minutes

https://www.wabbajack.org/

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002

Airspace posted:

If you are talking about the official cable, it comes with a clip that is easy to miss.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

nice! https://www.wabbajack.org/modlists/gallery/ultimate_vr_essentials

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

That is incredibly cool!

Unfortunately, the only Skyrim VR wabbajack modlist uses Ordinator. I was planning on playing with SPERG, but it may be worth tolerating Ordinator to be able skip the usual multi-day mod process.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Finally got my Index confirmation after 10 weeks - hopefully I don't regret getting this with the G2 around the corner.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently Oculus has started production of a new VR headset. It looks substantially less bulky than the Quest, more welding goggles, less ski goggles

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Apparently Oculus has started production of a new VR headset. It looks substantially less bulky than the Quest, more welding goggles, less ski goggles

I think some articles are just using the half dome v3 prototype as a placeholder image, as far as I know nobody knows any specific details

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Lowen posted:

Finally got my Index confirmation after 10 weeks - hopefully I don't regret getting this with the G2 around the corner.

Mine was like 13 weeks from order to receipt. I wish it wasn't so blasted hot so I felt like playing it more, because it's so immersive.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lowen posted:

Lol @ worrying that a WMR headset might be the better option.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

it's way cheaper, requires no lighthouse setup, has controller button parity, and seemingly has near-field tracking locked down and apparently a better image with a normal FOV. I liked my old WMR headset for simply being able to plug it in and go.

it seems like a good product if you don't want to give Facebook money and don't want to go big money on the index 🤷‍♂️

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m fairly sure the one and only review didn’t even test the one tracking scenario where WMR really struggles.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Lemming posted:

I think some articles are just using the half dome v3 prototype as a placeholder image, as far as I know nobody knows any specific details

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

I'd look at the F8 prototypes as a rough ballpark, and they're all roughly Quest-sized still.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Hadlock posted:

Welp, definitely waiting until oc7 this year before upgrading anything.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Penpal posted:

it's way cheaper, requires no lighthouse setup, has controller button parity, and seemingly has near-field tracking locked down and apparently a better image with a normal FOV. I liked my old WMR headset for simply being able to plug it in and go.
So long you don't intend or have to do anything above your head or reach far behind you with the controllers.

Personally I also wouldn't want to give up the wider FOV of an Index.

Hadlock posted:

It'll probably be another portable headset?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Depends on your use case, it's resolution is higher than the Index so if you're doing a bunch of seated stuff it is the better option.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

But noted impartial reviewer Mixed Reality TV says it's the best!

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

There's a video of him playing games with the G2 now as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4sXgxiBZ6U

Beat Saber is my most played VR game at 80hrs. Hoping the G2 can handle custom songs on expert+.

I'm not against cancelling my preorder if negative reviews start coming out. Maybe I'll end up plunking down money for a quest or index. I assume most anything is an improvement over a Rift w/Touch and two cameras these days.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

One of the little black eye rings that goes on my Quest's eye pieces fell off and broke today.

I don't know if it's anything but cosmetic, but I opened a support ticket with Oculus and we'll see how it goes.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The resolution on the G2 is amazing though and I do play some sims where headset resolution would be nice and hand tracking doesn't matter.
I'm upgrading from a Vive, so maybe the Index will be good enough.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Aaaaand one of my index base stations has started blinking a red light.

:mad:

I'll leave them unplugged for a few hours and see what happens.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lowen posted:

The resolution on the G2 is amazing though and I do play some sims where headset resolution would be nice and hand tracking doesn't matter.
I'm upgrading from a Vive, so maybe the Index will be good enough.

The Vive Pro's well worth a look as well, I've been nothing but happy with mine.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ceive posted:

There's a video of him playing games with the G2 now as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4sXgxiBZ6U

Beat Saber is my most played VR game at 80hrs. Hoping the G2 can handle custom songs on expert+.

I'm not against cancelling my preorder if negative reviews start coming out. Maybe I'll end up plunking down money for a quest or index. I assume most anything is an improvement over a Rift w/Touch and two cameras these days.

Theres plenty of top 100 players using WMR. The tracking holds up on the old headsets, itll be fine on the G2.

Goons just hate WMR. WMR is fine. Even old WMR tracking was alright. It did its job, and its not the poo poo show people try to make it out to be.

Deviant posted:

Its dead. start the RMA. When you do, Have a picture ready of the red light with the serial #.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
13 weeks of waiting and it'll finally be here tomorrow, doesn't seem real somehow. The cargo ship will get sunk by Brexit hardliners on the way to the UK probably. In case it does get here though I've got Alyx, Walking Dead, Moss and a few others ready to go.

I don't expect it to replace a real actual exercise routine but is Beat Saber still the game for working up a little sweat?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Deviant posted:

Did you update everything through SteamVR?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The latest Fanatical bundle has Redout:Enhanced Edition as part of its bundle for $4.99

Some of the other games seem ok but I’ll take a VR racing game for $4.99.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/reaper-bundle-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Nocheez posted:

Did you update everything through SteamVR?

Yes, I've had this thing for a few months.