Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Can't have fans getting invested and solving our mysteries. Writing is all about winning against your audience, you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

Dunno man...

i mean that episode specifically calls out blanche for not recognizing that she's supporting white supremacy by using the 'my heritage' argument to display the confederate flag. its remarkably ahead of its time, and incredibly salient right now.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

I remain unsold on Mandalorian. It is a very good western, but westerns as a genre are very bad.
Hot take: Firefly was enjoyable.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

teethgrinder posted:

Hot take: Firefly was enjoyable.
Oof.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Zoig posted:

...I'm pretty sure if you foreshadow something and people guess it right it's really bad to change it just for the sake of a surprise instead.

It's faithful to the source material then. People had GRRM's twists figured out decades in advance (Jon's parentage still isn't even revealed in the books yet) and he reportedly did not take it well.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

wizzardstaff posted:

It's faithful to the source material then. People had GRRM's twists figured out decades in advance (Jon's parentage still isn't even revealed in the books yet) and he reportedly did not take it well.

News flash: making a tv series off an unfinished series of books causes problems when you pass the books

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

As far as laugh track sitcoms go, I remember liking the Drew Carey show a lot as a teenager. I'll have to see if it still holds up.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

Dunno man...

Golden Palace was always considered poo poo though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

wizzardstaff posted:

Giving that absolute fucker some credit, he showed no signs of veering off course from that twist once people figured it out. He didn't pull a Westworld or LOST and straight-up rewrite poo poo at the last second to "keep the viewers guessing."

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sagebrush posted:

it is really amazing how it went from being a global phenomenon to absolute silence basically overnight.

I wish the internet was silent about Game of Thrones instead of continuously talking about how nobody talks about it anymore.

mind the walrus posted:

He didn't pull a Westworld or LOST and straight-up rewrite poo poo at the last second to "keep the viewers guessing."

Friendly reminder that this literally never happened, it's just nerds still being bitter that their dumb theories were wrong years later.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Fister Roboto posted:

As far as laugh track sitcoms go, I remember liking the Drew Carey show a lot as a teenager. I'll have to see if it still holds up.

Good luck - it's a pain to find anywhere, it doesn't stream and I think only the first season was ever released on DVD.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
it didn’t have a laugh track, but Community was a funny sitcom

Also I was today years old when I realized sitcom is short for situational comedy (i think?)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sleeveless posted:

Friendly reminder that this literally never happened, it's just nerds still being bitter that their dumb theories were wrong years later.

You know who absolutely does that?

Vincent Kennedy McMahon. Literally in the past fans have guessed where the wrasslin' storylines were going, so they changed them at the last minute.

I don't think anyone in actual television is that spiteful and creatively bankrupt.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Gonna bet there absolutely are people like that, but without the fanbase that's required for that to be possible.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
And most of the time they’ve already filmed the season.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Hot take - Game of thrones was fine, but could never live up to the years of insane nerd expectation

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The show you like sucks and is for nerds also the other one you like is garbage. I am totally not a nerd despite going on an old nerds forums to discuss which pop culture consumption is for nerds.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/sonyaism/status/1283803557968347136

JesusGeorge
Apr 29, 2005
TheKeeper bought me this account so now I have to rub peanut butter on his nipples on a daily basis.

Sleeveless posted:

I wish the internet was silent about Game of Thrones instead of continuously talking about how nobody talks about it anymore.

Whether or not the theories were true is irrelevant to the fact that LOST never had a plan and just forgot half the plot threads they started, Westworld crawled so far up it's philosophical butt it forgot about the story it was telling, and GoT (even if you did like any of it) was basically abandoned in the last season.

Studios want never-ending stories (woao, woao, woao,) for never ending income, and stories have endings. When you reach the end, if you don't stop, you risk ruining the story. If you stop before the end, you risk invalidating everything before it. And if your story can't survive having it's twists revealed, it's bad period. Has anyone watched "6th Sense" more than twice?

Anyway, a 4 for 4, no sauce for the nuggets, raspberry Hi-C, because it's a good deal and I'm loving OLD.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

JesusGeorge posted:

... stories have endings.

I had an argument with someone about this

It's crazy how some people just want never ending content and simultaneously don't understand what makes things satisfying

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lost not tying up every loose end is such a silly complaint

Not every mystery needs to be answered on screen

That's how you get midichlorians

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

That’s a bad analogy since those were an answer to a question nobody had and not a question the work shoved in your face with spooky music cues before the credits rolled each week.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Credit for the joke goes to someone in another thread, I'm kicking myself for not remembering who :doh:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Amphigory posted:

Hot take - Game of thrones was fine, but could never live up to the years of insane nerd expectation

Have you watched it? The collapse in sanity as they outrun the books is genuinely amusing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Plus the books themselves are a pretty interesting journey in unforced errors. No one was expecting a magnum opus except for idiot losers but they still fall below par, especially when you know how long they took to write and how much contempt GRRM clearly has for the creative process.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

Credit for the joke goes to someone in another thread, I'm kicking myself for not remembering who :doh:

It was Who.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Jestery posted:

It's crazy how some people just want never ending content and simultaneously don't understand what makes things satisfying

It’s the curse of American style television. Why have three seasons made of ten episodes each that tell a compelling story, or are clever comedy, when you can have 20, 26 episode seasons that have gotten so convoluted and up their own rear end that by the end the scripts seem more like fanfic, half of them erotic fanfic minus the hardcore grunty sex.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/philipglass/status/1283854000392151041

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Himbo machine's always broken

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

Third Rock From the Sun was pretty stupid-serviceable.

I just started watching it from the start and it's got some great comedy but holy wow do the sex/gender jokes feel dated. Like general topics you could revisit today but they would need to be utterly different in the details.

I also started watching Mork and Mindy and it's even more messily dated. But Robin Williams doing coke-fueled improv takes me back to my early childhood.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

What is an "Early morning grinder"?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It's basically just a toasted hoagie.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I haven't watched game of thrones but I might if it had a laugh track.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't watched game of thrones but I might if it had a laugh track.

It doesn't need a laugh track to be funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Krz-dyD-UQ

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jestery posted:

I totally agree. I’ve always found happy endings to be extremely gratifying.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

a warning sign of an addiction to cold cuts

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SpacePig posted:

It's basically just a toasted hoagie.

Rhode Island?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

wuffles posted:

a warning sign of an addiction to cold cuts

get some cold cuts, get some cold cuts woo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

He said he wasnt sure, someone in another thread