Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

New thread title please.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I posted this in Cavern of COBOL, but this is a good place to ask as well.

Because of COVID my job is now 100% remote. It's an easy gig, so I think I can handle a side hustle.

Does anyone know a good listing of part time remote development jobs?

What about full time?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

Ither posted:

I posted this in Cavern of COBOL, but this is a good place to ask as well.

Because of COVID my job is now 100% remote. It's an easy gig, so I think I can handle a side hustle.

Does anyone know a good listing of part time remote development jobs?

What about full time?

stable part time doesn't really exist, or at least it doesn't through traditional avenues. if you don't already know where to find work, go on upwork, set your rates high so you're not competing with the chaff, and work on projects here and there while you build up a network of ppl who regularly spend money on software. when you can, move off of it as quickly as possible because they take 10% from your cut.

upwork is like 99.5% bullshit but every now and then you can find reasonable contracts on there from people who understand how quickly underbidding will tank their project.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
amazon does have a flex work thing where you can work like 30 hours a week at a reduced salary. I'm not sure if other big companies do this. you will get sued to oblivion (i mean, probably just fired) if you try to do this while holding down another fulltime job.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
yeah your employment contract almost definitely has multiple different clauses trying to keep you from doing this.

you might not care but make sure you understand the risks. you could get fired, you could get sued, you could have your main employer claim that they own all the work you do during normal business hours.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/tiangolo/status/1281946592459853830

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

this one in the comments has powerful lmao gently caress you energy too

https://twitter.com/JensRavens/status/1282078009017720838

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 13, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

just saw this one on SO careers:

quote:

We are looking for someone who

Has experience from CAD/TD Graphics and manufacturing industry
Likes to challenge themselves and learn new things everyday
Are hungry to work in an agile environment
Excellent -communication, -writing and organizational skills
Great interpersonal skills as well as a self-going team-player
Has good knowledge in English, both verbal and written

Required Skills & Experience:

Strong understanding of computational geometry algorithms and data structures
Experience with volume rendering and three-dimensional visualization
Understanding of solid modeling representations and algorithms
Experience with CUDA and related parallel programming paradigms for graphics applications
A minimum of 5+ years of hands-on C++ professional work experience

Object-oriented programming proficiency
Solid development practices, attention to detail, design and quality
The ability to write modern, testable and maintainable code
The ability to appreciate and use abstractions

[There's a bunch of "desirable" stuff here]

Please note that we are interested in applications from junior to senior level, where at least one of the two positions will be a senior developer.

that's, uhh, a curious definition of "junior" they've got going on there

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 13, 2020

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Private Speech posted:

just saw this one on SO careers:

that's, uhh, a curious definition of "junior" they've got going on there

senior experience, junior remuneration

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > YOSPOS > interviewing: senior experience, junior remuneration

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

GenJoe posted:

if you don't already know where to find work, go on upwork

upwork is like 99.5% bullshit but every now and then you can find reasonable contracts on there from people who understand how quickly underbidding will tank their project.

Any recommendations for finding clients outside of upwork?

I tried the platform, but after finishing work to my clients' satisfaction and getting paid, a few clients didn't end their contracts so i closed them after several months. Apparently as a freelancer, ending a contract on upwork is bad™, and they penalize you for it. Now I have a 30% job success score despite having a dozen 5 star ratings from completed projects, and landing new projects on the platform is a non-starter.

I like freelancing on the side, but I don't like feeling like living out a black mirror episode to do it. Last couple of clients I worked with I found on indeed, but that's another platform that has a low signal to noise ratio.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
show up in person to things and shake hands

not gonna work right precisely now but its why figgielands exist

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Tech Sector Job Interviews Assess Anxiety, Not Software Skills

quote:

A new study from North Carolina State University and Microsoft finds that the technical interviews currently used in hiring for many software engineering positions test whether a job candidate has performance anxiety rather than whether the candidate is competent at coding. The interviews may also be used to exclude groups or favor specific job candidates.
This sounds like it might be obvious, but the effect size estimates are definitely new.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

hot drat:

quote:

For example, in our study, all of the women who took the public interview failed, while all of the women who took the private interview passed. Our study was limited, and a larger sample size would be needed to draw firm conclusions, but the idea that the very design of the interview process may effectively exclude an entire class of job candidates is troubling.”
as you said, not surprising, but the effect size is something

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

quote:

The interviews may also be used to exclude groups or favor specific job candidates.

I think they just discovered America :v:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

experience requirements are lies to dissuade cowards

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

experience requirements are lies to dissuade cowards

and also to whammy under represented folks

well documented that experience and degree requirements get a lot stricter depending on who’s applying

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

today i got rejected from datadog after spending nearly enough 10 hours on a take home assignment. recruiter told me this was because my work failed to meet two requirements. my program did in fact meet the first requirement, and the second was never given in the instructions.

pretty lame.

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

today i got rejected from datadog after spending nearly enough 10 hours on a take home assignment. recruiter told me this was because my work failed to meet two requirements. my program did in fact meet the first requirement, and the second was never given in the instructions.

pretty lame.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

did you forget a unique constraint?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
more like datadong imho

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Kind Friend posted:

pretty lame.

what were the requirements?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

lmao

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PCjr sidecar posted:

lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

that sucks though, dude. interviewing is garbage. i'm working on a take home assignment too and i'm concerned the same thing is about to happen to me

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

PCjr sidecar posted:

lol

raminasi posted:

what were the requirements?

1. the instructions asked for an aspect of the program to be configurable. i did this via a constant variable at the top of the file. i noted this inline and in the README, and also made a TODO stating that in a production setting it should be set via a command line arg. i thought that for the purposes of a demo project the simplicity of a hardcoded variable would be preferable to adding argparse logic as long as i made a note of it. obviously they disagreed or didnt bother to read my comments/documentation. the instructions did not specify how the variable should be configurable.

2. they complained my test coverage was inadequate. the instructions stated to add a unit test for one specific part of the program. i did so. the instructions did not ask for "thorough test coverage" or "at least n% coverage."

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

PIZZA.BAT posted:

that sucks though, dude. interviewing is garbage. i'm working on a take home assignment too and i'm concerned the same thing is about to happen to me

my advice: do not assume that meeting the stated requirements is sufficient. instead, assume you will be judged relative to the perceived quality of other submissions in your pool.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
one time i got a take-home that was clearly designed to test my ability to find some particular lock-juggling solution. (it may have been some standard algorithm, i don't know.) i couldn't reason out the solution they were looking for but i was able to come up with something that seemed right to me using atomics and concurrent standard library collections that passed their provided test suite. naturally, they didn't accept it.

for extra credit: is it better or worse to write a comment to the effect of "your instructions have a lot of rules about locking, making me suspect that you want a solution with locks in it, but i couldn't figure one out so i did this instead, which is what i would have done in real code anyway"

asur
Dec 28, 2012

raminasi posted:

one time i got a take-home that was clearly designed to test my ability to find some particular lock-juggling solution. (it may have been some standard algorithm, i don't know.) i couldn't reason out the solution they were looking for but i was able to come up with something that seemed right to me using atomics and concurrent standard library collections that passed their provided test suite. naturally, they didn't accept it.

for extra credit: is it better or worse to write a comment to the effect of "your instructions have a lot of rules about locking, making me suspect that you want a solution with locks in it, but i couldn't figure one out so i did this instead, which is what i would have done in real code anyway"

It's worse as you're going to be rejected if you're correct, but now if you're wrong they might reject you for writing a dumb comment.

If you think they are looking for a specific solution that you don't know how to implement I would recommend stopping and not wasting your time implementing a solution they will reject.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

had a second interview with a fascinating company today. had to prepare a presentation showing off my projects that was supposed to last 25 minutes but actually took about an hour because they asked their questions during the presentation.

they are looking for a pretty senior person and i only have 7 years of professional experience (if you don't count the 7 years i did before my studies as a freelancer), but i played the "my youth and broad range of skills is an advantage" card

my recruiter told me before the interview that his last successfully hired candidate went through the same process and mentioned that it was "tough".

i, surprisingly, did not get any "programming interview" questions. like, none at all. i asked my possible future boss if there was any reason for that, and he said "there's a probation period for that anyways, if you lied on your CV we'll know soon enough, besides, from your presentation we were able to assess your skills well enough"

although that's exactly the kind of company i want to work for (reminder that a few months ago i got asked very specific c++ questions and hated it), i cant quite put my finger on wether this is good or bad. on one hand I'm worried it means that they assessed that there was no point in asking me technical questions since i'm not a match, but on the other, it could be exactly the opposite?

what do you guys think?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

they might not be entirely loving idiots when it comes to interviewing compared to every other company out there, and they’re using the probation period as they should.

sounds like a positive point to me.

if they showed like zero interest in assessing you outside of that though, that’s a red flag because who knows what kind of toxic people they amass on board.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

MononcQc posted:

they might not be entirely loving idiots when it comes to interviewing compared to every other company out there, and they’re using the probation period as they should.

sounds like a positive point to me.

if they showed like zero interest in assessing you outside of that though, that’s a red flag because who knows what kind of toxic people they amass on board.

my current company did the same thing and, well to be fair it's a trash fire by many standards, but probably for other reasons like doing active development on a codebase which has never-rewritten >40 years old code

if they are halfway competent everyone who's outright terrible was probably let go within a few weeks

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
oh boy, well the company I’m working for missed a paycheck. Time to start hitting that “search jobs” button.

Imposter syndrome is high because I’ve been doing this for about 10 years but my resume looks like 2 years, 2 years, 1 year, 2 years, 2 years. Do companies care about job hopping like that?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

that looks like a normal career in tech tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Rudest Buddhist posted:

oh boy, well the company I’m working for missed a paycheck. Time to start hitting that “search jobs” button.

Imposter syndrome is high because I’ve been doing this for about 10 years but my resume looks like 2 years, 2 years, 1 year, 2 years, 2 years. Do companies care about job hopping like that?

If you've made it to 2 years you've made it longer than I've ever made it at a job. People will tell you that it matters but as a hiring manager currently I can tell you I don't give a poo poo -- the only things that are potentially red flags are a bunch of < 6 months jobs or a bunch of years at the same company with no advancement in responsibility.