Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://intl.startrek.com/news/watching-the-next-generation-in-a-time-of-pandemic-and-uprising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

tired: star trek canon

wired: star trek apocrypha

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Bloop posted:

Enterprise was never bad

It was just a letdown of our expectations

It's "ok"

Owlbear Camus posted:

I groaned out loud the first time I heard "hull plating down to 15%" Esp because it was airing roughly concurrent to New BSG, which showed that you could have a lot more of a visceral and compelling presentation of battle damage with unshielded ships duking it out rather than just making it a search-and-replace in unused scripts for "shields" health bar.

It's good to remember that Enterprise was prefaced with "this series is gonna be so different" and what felt like an implicit acknowledgement that Trek writing had become severely formulaic and stale. I'm pretty sure I stopped regularly watching Voyager sometime during the sixth season. Hell, they weren't even putting "Star Trek" in the title!

And then, yeah, like Owlbear Camus said, the first episode just felt like an incredible slap in the face. I bailed after the first episode and didn't watch another episode until years after the show got canceled. I eventually went back and watched some episodes, and while it's not the worst ever, I'm still firmly convinced I made the right call in bailing after the first episode back when it was in production.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

that episode where they brought the borg back again and nothing happened in the back half of the episode. nothing

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

I'd think the canon is a square/rectangle situation—the events of Lower Decks aren't true for the rest of Trek, but the events of the rest of Trek are true for Lower Decks.

Lower Decks will be canon in the sense you'll see it playing on a tv in the background of a scene from Picard season 2.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lower decks is a sequel to TAS

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Slavish devotion to/caring super hard about what is and isn't canon is super over-rated. The best Star Trek show currently airing is a cartoon man's big-budget TNG fanfic. Some of the best Superman stories to come out in the past few decades (Kingdom Come and Red Son off the top of my head) are categorically not canon.

Just tell good stories.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

Just tell good stories.

*writers jotting down notes*

Uh huh, uh huh, yes okay but what about -- and hear me out -- bland season-long arcs with banal, ill-thought out payoffs?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Martytoof posted:

*writers jotting down notes*

Uh huh, uh huh, yes okay but what about -- and hear me out -- bland season-long arcs with banal, ill-thought out payoffs?

Remember how the end of Disco Season 1 was the Federation planting a weapon of genocidal destruction on their adversary's homeworld as a coercive terror threat in order to install a puppet leader more amenable to their regime, and then dissolves to the hero unironically giving a speech about the high-minded ideals of Starfleet?

I sure remember.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No, I literally had forgotten this but thank you for bringing back good memories :mad:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RIP Romulan Captain
(Maurice Roeves)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Probably a coincidence, but I was just down a wikihole on hazard symbol design and realised that the symbol printed on all the starfleet synths in Picard is one of the rejected designs for a biohazard symbol back in the 60s.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

G-III posted:

Stark Trek

Genius.

MikeJF posted:

Probably a coincidence, but I was just down a wikihole on hazard symbol design and realised that the symbol printed on all the starfleet synths in Picard is one of the rejected designs for a biohazard symbol back in the 60s.

I don't remember this and google's not helping (and I'm lazy today). Got an example?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They all have their ID number and this symbol on their necks. It was one of the six candidates for the biohazard symbol, lost out to the one we know and love. (it's a pretty simple symbol, probably a coincidence, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone mined history for some freebees)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 15, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ahh, upside-down triangle brands on pseudosapient beings... That's certainly a good look for the Feds

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

Remember how the end of Disco Season 1 was the Federation planting a weapon of genocidal destruction on their adversary's homeworld as a coercive terror threat in order to install a puppet leader more amenable to their regime, and then dissolves to the hero unironically giving a speech about the high-minded ideals of Starfleet?

I sure remember.

I didn't like STD at all but the above is what made it my Eternal Enemy.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Owlbear Camus posted:

I sure remember.

Also, this was presented as a creative and peaceful alternative to detonating the weapon and committing genocide, in a "No, wait. I have a better way" kind of way, rather than something that has been done on the regular for the past few decades

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Oh gently caress now I want them to do a Trials and Tribble-ations type live action/cartoon mashup with TOS DS9 or TNG

Have one or more of these characters show up as holo-characters in S2 of Picard, Who Framed Roger Rabbit style.

I hadn't watched the trailer up to now based on other peoples bad impressions and it looks...fun?

Sure I'm not expecting greatness but it looks like it has a genuine love of the franchise.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

I hadn't watched the trailer up to now based on other peoples bad impressions and it looks...fun?

Sure I'm not expecting greatness but it looks like it has a genuine love of the franchise.

Goons hate fun.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Technowolf posted:

Goons hate fun.

Right now I'm hoping that it's a bad trailer that's tried to jam as many jokes as possible into a short sequence without any of the pacing or buildup that would actually make them funny.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Right now I'm hoping that it's a bad trailer that's tried to jam as many jokes as possible into a short sequence without any of the pacing or buildup that would actually make them funny.
It’s so hard to do any trailers for comedies

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm fully expecting it to be middling but I really hope they can keep it fun without going FULL ZANY.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Senor Tron posted:

We live in lower posterior part of the ship
ha-ha-ha

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Martytoof posted:

I'm fully expecting it to be middling but I really hope they can keep it fun without going FULL ZANY.

This is still better than picard

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
We're finally at the stage of this brand where people are saying this week's episode of The Simpsons wasn't *that* bad

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Please. People were saying that in season 5. They just didn’t know the horrors that awaited them.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Owlbear Camus posted:

I sure remember.

"Nation-building is never pretty" :barf:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s so hard to do any trailers for comedies

They should just do a simple, stand-alone scene that conveys the tone of the show but isn't actually taken from an episode.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Peachfart posted:

Also, that they don't bother to develop any characters except Michael. Who is still pretty badly developed.
Not true; intermittently they also developed Tyler.
And he was even worse.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Saru also got some development.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Saru's writing is just a mess. His arc was clearly set up to be overcoming/learning to be brave in the face of his natural fear instincts.
Then they decided his species was oppressed and being killed pre-secondary-puberty in the lead up to season 2, and who cares if it doesn't fit with any of the previous references. And the second puberty solved all of his cowardice issues and freed his people!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tiggum posted:

They should just do a simple, stand-alone scene that conveys the tone of the show but isn't actually taken from an episode.

Like a demo!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Strong Convections posted:

Saru's writing is just a mess. His arc was clearly set up to be overcoming/learning to be brave in the face of his natural fear instincts.
Then they decided his species was oppressed and being killed pre-secondary-puberty in the lead up to season 2, and who cares if it doesn't fit with any of the previous references. And the second puberty solved all of his cowardice issues and freed his people!

Like gently caress prime directive, kirk style
oh wait he didn't exist yet

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Strong Convections posted:

Agreed on his writing being a mess. Largely because that arc was over before the show started. Sure, he talked a lot about how being a prey species meant he was a scared little bunny rabbit. But whenever a decision point came, he always did the brave, noble thing instead of just running away (or passively awaiting death). Particularly during the times he found himself in command.

There's nothing wrong with a character constantly fighting a part of himself and (usually) winning -- see Spock's battle against his emotions for all of TOS -- but the writers didn't really seem to know how to handle that, so they kept pretending that finding his bravery was his character arc even though it totally wasn't.

The fact that Saru is my favorite STD character comes down, I think, to Doug Jones doing a fantastic job with what he was given.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JBYoder/status/1284332907356516352

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:gowron:

loving lol

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm still salty that the cool Romulan ex-Tal Shiar were left behind on Earth :argh:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Torrannor posted:

I'm still salty that the cool Romulan ex-Tal Shiar were left behind on Earth :argh:

They had to protect Number One!!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

egon_beeblebrox posted:

They had to protect Number One!!

Waiting for the better TNG spinoff, “Number One” where the two badass Tal Shiar farmhands go on adventures with the doggo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Martytoof posted:

Waiting for the better TNG spinoff, “Number One” where the two badass Tal Shiar farmhands go on adventures with the doggo.

I'd want to say I'd watch this adorable cartoon but I'm not sure how many fingers the monkey's paw has left.