Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

ah yes, significantly improved from "burns out your eyes" to "gives you a migraine"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Dramicus posted:

It's because in the latest patch Italy now frequently does naval invasions in the Med. They often take Cairo by landing behind the British forces around Tobruk. It also doesn't help that Italy puts hundreds of thousands of troops in Ethiopia, turning Eastern Africa into an a-historically bloody front.

OTOH it's hilarious when America finally decides to join in the fun... with a massive landing in East Africa and you get to watch America vs. Axis tanks in the Congo where both sides get to have incredibly expensive units fall apart due to low infra and harsh terrain. It's especially bad if Fascist Spain kicks the British out of Gibraltar and the Axis takes the Suez, cuz then they can turn the Med into an Axis pond and it hardly matters how much navy USA/UK/etc can field if the pool's closed, as that creates a situation where both sides have free access to Africa and will just have to grind it out down there instead of settling things navally.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I need to capture some airbases from the Japanese to expand my air coverage.

One problem i'm running into is the Japanese Generals have like a dozen skills, probably due to their much longer war.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

One problem i'm running into is the Japanese Generals have like a dozen skills, probably due to their much longer war.

You need to send your general to train in a high-gravity time dilation chamber for 5 episodes or so, before they come back and challenge them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Or just crush them with superior firepower.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

twistedmentat posted:

The solution is to build your own airbases, unless you're getting screwed by the size of the states in the region.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Something weird happened in my Japan game. Latest patch, no mods, all DLC, historical focuses on.

I played a Japan game last week in which I defeated China, and at the peace conference all Chinese factions (except Sinkiang) were present. I took the coastal states of China and puppeted Nationalist China and that was that.

This time, I defeated China again but only Nationalists, Shanxi and Xibei San Ma were present at the peace conference. After the conference, Guanxi, Yunnan, Communists and Sinkiang were independent and members of the "Chinese United Front" faction (except Sinkiang I guess, who joined the Comintern about a month after the war ended.)

Needless to say I wasn't expecting this to happen and I'm in a poorer position as a result (I'm justifying a war goal on Guanxi right now so I can hopefully annex them and Yunnan before warring on the Allies). But what happened to make things different this time?

The only things I did differently between the two campaigns:

1. First time around, I actually took territory from Guanxi and the Communists. In fact, both capitulated before NatChi in that campaign. Second time, I didn't force anyone to capitulate except NatChi.

2. The war lasted mid 1940 in my first game, but only spring of 1939 this time.

Otherwise, everything went the same. I didn't take territory from Yunnan or XSM in my first campaign but they still were present at the peace conference, so I'm not sure what triggers ensure that the warlords submit along with NatChi in the war.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's because you didn't have any of their territory - basically the design is that the great powers don't get to capitulate on behalf of everyone and also cause them to lose their territory to an invader they never fought. If you want to be able to grab territory during the peace deal, you have to have some of their land before it fires. I guess it's too late to check now but do you know off hand if were XSM and Yunnan puppets of Nationalist China in your first game? That I believe would change it so that they are present even if you don't take their territory. Nationalist China has some focuses that will randomly puppet some of the warlords.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 16, 2020

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I can’t seem to ask the US for permission to join the Little Entente without being a democracy and also at least 30% fascist support. Can I bypass that requirement by being at war with a faction that the US is at war with? I’m iffy about declaring on the Axis without the support of a faction behind me, and the LE are already at war with them so...

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I started a Communist China game, Japan invade Shanxi and I do as well taking some territory just before they surrender. I have less victory points than Japan but after passing a few turns I have more than enough to claim a territory, except it tells me that I cannot because I will not have enough points the next turn. Why is it saying that? It cost 5 points to claim one territory and I had 8, but it wasn't until I had something like 15 that it let me finally claim it.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

You can only spend 30% of your current score each turn or the difference to the second highest scoring country, whichever is higher, so if the province costs 5 points you have to have 15 points to spare

HerraS fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 16, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ahhh ok, thank you.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's because you didn't have any of their territory - basically the design is that the great powers don't get to capitulate on behalf of everyone and also cause them to lose their territory to an invader they never fought. If you want to be able to grab territory during the peace deal, you have to have some of their land before it fires. I guess it's too late to check now but do you know off hand if were XSM and Yunnan puppets of Nationalist China in your first game? That I believe would change it so that they are present even if you don't take their territory. Nationalist China has some focuses that will randomly puppet some of the warlords.

I don't remember if they were puppets.

How much territory do I need to take for them to show up at the peace conference?

Also, a different question: is there a way to manage puppet templates? Japan has a number of puppets at this point and they're producing some lovely infantry divisions I mostly will be using for coastal defense duties, but I wonder if I can tell them to produce specific templates. Everything I've read on Reddit or the wiki so far has only confused the matter for me.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Disillusionist posted:

I don't remember if they were puppets.

How much territory do I need to take for them to show up at the peace conference?

Also, a different question: is there a way to manage puppet templates? Japan has a number of puppets at this point and they're producing some lovely infantry divisions I mostly will be using for coastal defense duties, but I wonder if I can tell them to produce specific templates. Everything I've read on Reddit or the wiki so far has only confused the matter for me.

Literally you just need a single province. The not appearing in the peace conference thing only applies if they've lost absolutely no land at all.

As for puppets, no, you can't control what templates they are using for themselves, but with puppets what you can do is copy their templates to your own division builder (at which point you can edit them) and produce them yourself. This will require that you provide the equipment, but the manpower will come out of the puppet instead of your own country, with an amount scaling based on how autonomous the puppet is (the "subject manpower requirement" line in the description of the puppet tells you how much they will provide - so if it's say 50%, it means that half the manpower will come from their pool, and half will come from yours).

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Playing a UK historical game. Went to war over the Rhineland.

Some time passes, mostly trying to push Italy out of North Africa and rescuing my blunder of attacking Iran for their oil when I didn't have enough dudes to do that AND beat Italy.

Then the German Republic wants to join the allies :psyduck:

I mouse over to Germany and Himler is in charge now, the gently caress happened to Hitler??

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I mouse over to Germany and Himler is in charge now, the gently caress happened to Hitler??

Oster conspiracy

Chances of it firing, succeeding, and going democratic are pretty rare, iirc.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Rynoto posted:

Oster conspiracy

Chances of it firing, succeeding, and going democratic are pretty rare, iirc.

Ah dope lol. Got the pop up a little late. I went the SECURE THE OIL path and took most of the Netherlands, while Germany didn't make any headway into Czech Republic or France. So maybe they got all mad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't think its possible to fight Japan as the USSR when they've got all of east asia under their control. The supply in the eastern USSR is so low, and provinces so big you can barely squeeze enough units in there to be able to take and hold territory. Like the front literally goes from the Pacific to the Caspian Sea.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

just naval invade them and capitulate them. they have like no troops on their mainland usually

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

twistedmentat posted:

The supply in the eastern USSR is so low
This is fixable.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Can confirm. The red army is more than capable of steamrolling over all of Asia once Germany has been crushed. You just need to build infrastructure using the ~200 civs you should have by '46. Now making a successful naval invasion of the home islands when they have had 3 years to fortify and build up a silly number of divisions on every port is a bit of a challenge. Of course, there are always nukes once you get air superiority with carrier based fighters.

Russia is just as much of a monster as the US in end, they just take much longer to get to that point.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 17, 2020

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

twistedmentat posted:

I don't think its possible to fight Japan as the USSR when they've got all of east asia under their control. The supply in the eastern USSR is so low, and provinces so big you can barely squeeze enough units in there to be able to take and hold territory. Like the front literally goes from the Pacific to the Caspian Sea.

Keep in mind Japan's got supply problems too - their supply all has to come from Japan through the best port in East Asia, which doesn't tend to be that good.

I can suggest a few things to help you out there:

1. Go down the left side of the Mass Assault doctrine tree for a 20% reduction in supply consumption and reduced penalties while low on supply

2. Attach logistics companies to your units for up to a 40% reduction in supply consumption (30% with 1942 tech which is probably when you're fighting Japan

3. Use 20-width divisions instead of 40 - cover twice the frontline with the same amount of supply consumption

4. Build a chain of high-infrastructure provinces between Moscow and Vladivostok, and ban your ships from moving through the sea near Japan

5. Send volunteer tank divisions to China in 1937 and kick Japan off the continent instead of letting them take all of East Asia in the first place

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Antillie posted:

Russia is just as much of a monster as the US in end, they just take much longer to get to that point.

Arguably they're *more* of a monster -- I think a Russia with all of its build slots filled has way more factories than the US

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

HannibalBarca posted:

Arguably they're *more* of a monster -- I think a Russia with all of its build slots filled has way more factories than the US

That's a pretty irrelevant stat in most games. Russia'll be gone or in possession of half of Europe long before they come close to filling all their slots.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Kaiserreich is really fun.

Xan
Feb 7, 2005
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

Gort posted:

Keep in mind Japan's got supply problems too - their supply all has to come from Japan through the best port in East Asia, which doesn't tend to be that good.

(Edit sorry this is a Japan player perspective):
Japan can get away with really basic 10 width infantry no support companies to hold the line. Then have one army of absolute mad lads (40 width infantry, usually 14/4 inf art split) for attacking. Any doctrine works then when your basic holding units aren't hoovering up all the supply. You still do need to build up the port slightly but that's fairly cheap - about 2 levels 6000 IC build cost.

If you concentrate your attacks with the 40 width army along a relatively small front at a time, you can overrun them easily. By the end of the China war I usually have a level 8 general and veteran infantry divisions too.

Xan fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 17, 2020

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if Japan goes down the right side of Grand Battleplan, they also get a supply buff in addition to a metric gently caress-ton of entrenchment bonuses and general buffs to infantry. This means Japan can fight a defensive war very effectively with just infantry. It's also not hard for Japan to deny the USSR any ports from which to naval invade. If I were trying to get Japan as USSR I would look into paratroopers and air superiority. The Soviets should be able to easily outproduce the Japanese in the air and building new airfields doesn't take long.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Red World seems like lib garbage.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Biggest problem is the instant you cross into Manchuria or Sinkiang your supply craters.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

it's good op

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Stairmaster posted:

Red World should not be taken seriously under any circumstances. It may look like a serious alt-history mod with serious lore but in actuality it's mainly about putting modern politicians in wacky scenarios

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
All my non-historical games have the UK going fascist or King's Party almost immediately and smashing France... is that by design?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kild posted:

just naval invade them and capitulate them. they have like no troops on their mainland usually

Yeah same strategy works against the UK (you can also paradrop on to a port if you can't get naval supremacy - once you have the port you can quickly ferry an army across and most of they probably won't get caught by the enemy navy). Japan after beating China will be holding a lot of territory but when it comes to capitulation, only core territory matters.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Byzantine posted:

Biggest problem is the instant you cross into Manchuria or Sinkiang your supply craters.

This is my issue. I invaded through Manchuko and my supply went to rear end.

I couldnt naval invade because I could never get naval supremacy, event with around 3k naval bombers going to the sea of Japan.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gorman Thomas posted:

All my non-historical games have the UK going fascist or King's Party almost immediately and smashing France... is that by design?

usually they go fascist if germany isn't or if france goes communist

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gorman Thomas posted:

France is the punching bag of all the other european major powers, yes.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Gorman Thomas posted:

Does life imitate art or art imitate life?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kild posted:

usually they go fascist if germany isn't or if france goes communist

To expand on this, the ahistorical AI isn't purely "random", what it has is a few pre-determined profiles it will choose from, and they can be conditionally disabled by certain factors like whether a particular event has fired or if another country has switched ideology. The intent is that you can't end up with a world where nobody goes to war with each other - they will always aim for opposing focus paths so eventually the big war will kick off (and as mentioned by SHISKABOB, this usually involves someone invading France).

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Are there any decent uses/conversions for light tanks when you're phasing them out for mediums or heavies? Or is it better to just lend lease them to somebody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Are there any decent uses/conversions for light tanks when you're phasing them out for mediums or heavies? Or is it better to just lend lease them to somebody?

There's armored recon companies that use light tanks. The recon value is not as good as armored car but if you have the extra tanks you may as well use them