Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think Pokémon has foils for the energy cards or whatever they are called.

Monetizing the worthless is the logical conclusion to card games

Creating a billion ever more valuable variations on cards is pretty much a straight win for players who don't want to bling out their decks, though. There's only so much value a set can have, so dumb rear end chase stuff like this makes the rest of the set cheaper.

On the other hand all cards are just pieces of cardboard, they're all worthless, for in the end we are all dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
what if doom, but everyone got cheeks

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RandomFerret posted:

Magic the Gathering has holofoils now? For lands??

Look at this guy who doesn't know about the Godzilla lands

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-secret-lair-drop-series-godzilla-lands-2020-04-24

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I didn't want to know about the Godzilla lands. Unless they sell them as posters because a couple of those are pretty rad

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I made this today.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Boxman posted:

Creating a billion ever more valuable variations on cards is pretty much a straight win for players who don't want to bling out their decks, though. There's only so much value a set can have, so dumb rear end chase stuff like this makes the rest of the set cheaper.
I haven't played MTG or really looked at any of it since Urza's Destiny like 20 years ago, so seeing Egoraptor doing MTG unboxings of new sets and seeing the downright nefarious methods they have created to increase the "value" and "rarity" of certain cards is just...diabolical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIwkN7G2DGI&hd=1&t=2499s

I was mesmerized by this video, wherein I learned that they went from "common/uncommon/rare" cards, to "common/uncommon/rare cards with possible foil versions in every booster pack" to:

regular non-foils, foils, cards where the artwork is no longer constrained to the little window of the card and spreads out over the entirety of the card("full art" or "borderless"), foil versions of those, alternate artwork versions, and probably others I'm not recalling he unboxed. Also there was apparently a set where they straight up slotted in original alpha/beta/unlimited/antiquities rares in place of the land card in booster packs rarely, including the Power Nine. Meaning you had a chance of finding a loving original Black Lotus or Mox in one of those boosters. Just, you know, a cool sixty grand card in a booster pack. That's a crazy but brilliant marketing idea, to put in old cards they had sitting around as a marketing maneuver.

oh right, and now they have "collector booster packs" which instead of 3 bucks each and having mostly commons, some uncommons, and a rare, and maybe you'll get a foil, it's like half commons/uncommons and half rares and like 70% of the pack is foils with a higher chance of full art cards. and they're TWENTY BUCKS EACH. just moustache-twirling levels of grift.

but drat, modern MTG is just inscrutable to me.

anyways, fanart.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Invictus posted:

I haven't played MTG or really looked at any of it since Urza's Destiny like 20 years ago, so seeing Egoraptor doing MTG unboxings of new sets and seeing the downright nefarious methods they have created to increase the "value" and "rarity" of certain cards is just...diabolical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIwkN7G2DGI&hd=1&t=2499s

I was mesmerized by this video, wherein I learned that they went from "common/uncommon/rare" cards, to "common/uncommon/rare cards with possible foil versions in every booster pack" to:

regular non-foils, foils, cards where the artwork is no longer constrained to the little window of the card and spreads out over the entirety of the card("full art" or "borderless"), foil versions of those, alternate artwork versions, and probably others I'm not recalling he unboxed. Also there was apparently a set where they straight up slotted in original alpha/beta/unlimited/antiquities rares in place of the land card in booster packs rarely, including the Power Nine. Meaning you had a chance of finding a loving original Black Lotus or Mox in one of those boosters. Just, you know, a cool sixty grand card in a booster pack. That's a crazy but brilliant marketing idea, to put in old cards they had sitting around as a marketing maneuver.

oh right, and now they have "collector booster packs" which instead of 3 bucks each and having mostly commons, some uncommons, and a rare, and maybe you'll get a foil, it's like half commons/uncommons and half rares and like 70% of the pack is foils with a higher chance of full art cards. and they're TWENTY BUCKS EACH. just moustache-twirling levels of grift.

but drat, modern MTG is just inscrutable to me.

anyways, fanart.

https://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/double-masters/double-masters-vip-edition-pack?xid=pic2edc072-5bad-4138-ab5c-15667edb85c9

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
poo poo, right, he mentioned those in the end of the video and I forgot. That's the king of all grifts right there.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Captain Invictus posted:

That's the king of all grifts right there.

It's the whale model - it leeches money from the people who want super fancypants versions. But, again, it helps the average player who just wants to play their children's card game.

Does this count as fanart

It got pulled for....obvious reasons.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's an official crossover event between two companies, so not really fanart, no.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Man there is a surprisingly good amount of Disco Elysium art out there (given how distinctive the game's painterly aesthetic is).

https://twitter.com/ryleisdead/status/1261424591408435203?s=19

https://twitter.com/100684897C/status/1256270345423773696?s=20

https://twitter.com/WennyZZL/status/1254424728707543041?s=19

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Boxman posted:

It's the whale model - it leeches money from the people who want super fancypants versions. But, again, it helps the average player who just wants to play their children's card game.

Does this count as fanart

It got pulled for....obvious reasons.

I pulled one from a SUPERCHARGED booster that I accidentally self checked out as a regular booster pack. He's such a lovely card and only worth like $8 now despite being out of print

All the Godzilla cards are cool looking though

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

The only logical answer to "what's worse than Spacegodzilla"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/kale_satan/status/1283200121526784000?s=21

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
WAOWWW
https://twitter.com/PlagueOfGripes/status/1282719771079909376

Only took him about an hour to draw that, while holding a lengthy, multiple topic conversation the whole time, artists can be pretty amazing with their multitasking.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

What IS this...(not star wars shut up)

is it Blinky Bill? I have some strange memory bubbling up

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZTQFa0OZbQ

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

The Bloop posted:

What IS this...(not star wars shut up)

is it Blinky Bill? I have some strange memory bubbling up

Yeah. it's Blinky Bill. I tried to find The Magic Pudding fanart so as to represent some extra ye olde Australian fanart, but I couldn't find any with my half-arsed looking

image tax:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Stolen from the PYF Comic thread:

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm kind of disappointed that the new Pokeymans game didn't bother trying to make Scottish Trainer a reality:

Not really fanart, just some succinct descriptions of Pathfinder's world map updated for the Second Edition:

Some memes; the first is from a Skyrim TC called Enderal, the second is, well:

Finally, a really cute short story (at least, I thought it was cute):

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

I'm kind of disappointed that the new Pokeymans game didn't bother trying to make Scottish Trainer a reality:

Boooooo.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yeah, tell me about it.

I like that last pic, if only because the Stielhandgranate is canon.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

It always bothered me that her name is canonically spelled "Soo", and not "Sue".

Something else that bothered me, is that in looking for these two small, (sorry for the size), pictures, I also came across one of Soo in a bikini. Which nobody needs to see.

BrigadierSensible has a new favorite as of 07:19 on Jul 18, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Mixing the DBZ music theme and the Critic music theme kind of works, if you think about it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Warning: This pic is extremely NSFW.
:nws: