Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is this getting any positive play with old people or people who are politically disengaged? I'm kind of worried that a lot of white Americans have latent bootlicking tendencies that come out when they see protest or are asked to love police and the flag.

My boomer parents think it's common for people to be killed by protestors if they get too close, for example.

What I'm seeing on Twitter is that people who dislike or disagree with the protestors are completely on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1284145709630074881

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — After weeks of wrangling, the Pentagon on Friday will ban displays of the Confederate flag on military installations, in a carefully worded policy that doesn’t mention the word ban or that specific flag.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah it's wild and not at all predictable that the people who lost their minds about Jade Helm are actually all in on unidentified federal agents black bagging people.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Wasn't this, or something very similar, seen happening in some other places over the past couple months? I remember seeing a video from I want to say San Francisco, of something very similar in this thread a few weeks back.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Yeah, the most chilling thing was I figured that his parents were the only people Trump has any kind of respect for, but turns out he doesn't even have that. He literally doesn't care for anyone.

IIRC based on what I heard, the book goes into how Donald made fun of Fred's dementia towards the end of his life, to boot. Yeah, he literally has respect and empathy for no one. He's pure evil.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New video

https://twitter.com/biden_brigade/status/1284078091678232576?s=19

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

TGLT posted:

Yeah it's wild and not at all predictable that the people who lost their minds about Jade Helm are actually all in on unidentified federal agents black bagging people.

I read a sports forum full of chuds and saw one response that this is a good thing because BLM and antifa are terrorist organizations. Then somone came along and posted that Intercept article about the leaked documents showing police knew that right wing extremists were the real danger at protests, to which the first guy responses "who cares?"

there's literally no reasoning with these people

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So I've been wanting to vent about/address the police black bagging protesters with a "so America is just fascist now" and because I've been meme poisoned i realize it's just layup for "always has been."

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

So I've been wanting to vent about/address the police black bagging protesters with a "so America is just fascist now" and because I've been meme poisoned i realize it's just layup for "always has been."

They came for the immigrants, and I did nothing for I was not an immigrant...

But, more accurately, we've been swinging back toward that extreme for awhile now.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

What I'm seeing on Twitter is that people who dislike or disagree with the protestors are completely on board.

This is always how it is.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

remember back when the moderate response to "defund the police" was "but look at all the good they do?" feels like a million years ago

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Blind Rasputin posted:

Man, I never knew that about Train but it makes so much sense, you know? Like they’ve been around so long and are always taking it in and.. I mean they’re a nobody. No one would ever even like be paying attention to them? poo poo, this stuff about a cabal of major record labels laundering millions of dollars in cartel money through “album sales of the band Train” for 20-odd years is Eye Opening.

Kind of makes you re-evaluate this whole Wayfair thing if you ask me.

Thanks for the info!

I'm familiar enough with your posting to be relatively certain this is bait/tongue-in-cheek. I still want to slap you through the internet. Good job.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

knox_harrington posted:

Why do you assume all the research group's data has all been peer reviewed? And why would their work only be applicable to covid? What you are saying doesn't make any sense. And then you start some conspiracy nonsense that the scientists are after notoriety.

This isn't just a vaccine for covid, it's more complicated than that. The technology these groups have developed is essentially non permanent gene delivery and potentially is widely applicable (particularly thinking about mRNA vaccines here). These things haven't yet been explored, they're just platforms that scientists have come up with, and the nature of scientific research is they need to keep the information secure until they have done the experiments.

Your assumptions are wrong and you're looking for conspiracy where none exists.

conspiracy to do what? all i'm going off of is what the article says and what the official report says. if having learned anything about the relationship between the united states and russia has taught me is that it's highly likely that the united states is lying about what russia is doing so i don't see how that's out of the realm of possibility.

e: i mean poo poo, the article frames it as russia being responsible and then says pretty immediately that they're pretty sure it was russia

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 17, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Oxyclean posted:

Anyone who thinks the police disappearing people or doing other gestapo poo poo on the regular is somehow an outlier should look up Homan Square.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Not new, it’s from yesterday morning, but yeah, local cops have been getting in on the fun too. The worst part is the Fed’s presence is overshadowing what the PPB has been doing for 50 loving days now, so they get to act innocent while the mayor blames Trump for the protestors being assaulted

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Well, sure if you put it like that opening schools sounds stupid.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1284149108605964291?s=20

Belan
May 7, 2007
https://twitter.com/Jordan_S_Rubin/status/1284156881729204225

Sure, why not.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

John McCain was likely incapacitated for months just to avoid a special election.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

She just needs to live 6 months.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

FizFashizzle posted:

John McCain was likely incapacitated for months just to avoid a special election.

Yeah, Strom Thurmond too

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I kind of like the idea of her hovering in the liminal space between life and death for a few months right before the election. Is there any precedent for a justice who is alive but incapacitated?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I'll never not be furious with RBG

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, Strom Thurmond too

Strom Thurmond won his last election without making public appearances due to how poorly he was doing.

I remember the ads of him stumbling around the halls of congress.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh absolutely

There was also a Mississippi Senator a couple of years ago with clearly severe dementia who was somehow still in office. He finally died recently.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Djarum posted:

She just needs to live 6 months.

I've accepted that she'll die the day after the election and Mitch will have a doughy prep school monster confirmed before Christmas.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Rainbow Knight posted:

conspiracy to do what? all i'm going off of is what the article says and what the official report says. if having learned anything about the relationship between the united states and russia has taught me is that it's highly likely that the united states is lying about what russia is doing so i don't see how that's out of the realm of possibility.

e: i mean poo poo, the article frames it as russia being responsible and then says pretty immediately that they're pretty sure it was russia

Where you said the scientists are more concerned about notoriety than saving lives. Which is pretty stupid in itself, but exceptionally stupid when you're talking about a university vaccine research group.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

nerve posted:

And I'll always respect her for her fundamental and heroic singular effort in advancing civil rights in this country.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
well, Ginsberg is probably dying this year, which means these surprise swing decisions by the conservative court will be a thing of the past. Great. Love it.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I've gotta say that the number of bootlickers I've seen that are OK with unmarked paramilitary forces grabbing people off the street into rented vehicles is distressing. You should be firmly against this poo poo even if you believe the BS that they're domestic terrorists and not peaceful protestors.

And they're the same people that think that they'd take a principled stand against fascism.

Sorry for the derail but its really broken my soul as of late, and I'm in a poo poo mood because of it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Looks like official results are in from the NY primary.

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1284144985651249154?s=19

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nerve posted:

she is, genuinely, one the greatest villains in modern american politics. She's literally so focused on her very racist 'brand' that she couldn't even retire with dignity and now we get real good odds of trump getting to cram a judge through in fuckin October

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also just as a judge she hasn't been good since her title IX stuff. poo poo like signing on with 'actually a trail isn't land so you can build a pipeline there' and her outright disdain for basic rights like protest is despicable.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ryde posted:

I've gotta say that the number of bootlickers I've seen that are OK with unmarked paramilitary forces grabbing people off the street into rented vehicles is distressing. You should be firmly against this poo poo even if you believe the BS that they're domestic terrorists and not peaceful protestors.

And they're the same people that think that they'd take a principled stand against fascism.

Sorry for the derail but its really broken my soul as of late, and I'm in a poo poo mood because of it.

When they say they support liberty and the individual and all that poo poo, what they mean is that they support a moral order where the strong can do whatever they want to the weak. They love the idea of suffering and sometimes even think they deserve it for not being stronger when it happens to them.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

nerve posted:

Why? Mcconnell wouldn't have let Obama seat another justice regardless.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh absolutely

There was also a Mississippi Senator a couple of years ago with clearly severe dementia who was somehow still in office. He finally died recently.

Thad Cochran, who was dead less than a year later due “dementia complications” which means he was so far gone he was forgetting to breath.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

How are u posted:

And I'll always respect her for her fundamental and heroic singular effort in advancing civil rights in this country.

it rules that she decided to spend her last years risking all of that in exchange for getting to agree with the Republicans that it's impossible for native americans to own land

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

I kind of like the idea of her hovering in the liminal space between life and death for a few months right before the election. Is there any precedent for a justice who is alive but incapacitated?

Sure, Rhenquist, and he was Chief Justice. Just look at the video of him administering the oath of office in early 2005, dude's barely standing up. He died shortly after.

AhhYes posted:

You might want to go check who ran the Senate in early 2009. We'll wait.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

When they say they support liberty and the individual and all that poo poo, what they mean is that they support a moral order where the strong can do whatever they want to the weak. They love the idea of suffering and sometimes even think they deserve it for not being stronger when it happens to them.

I've always known intellectually that fascism is entirely possible anywhere, but its still very cheering to see it happening in a very non-ambiguous way it being cheered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

AhhYes posted:

In 2013/4 Dems still controlled the Senate