Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

OddObserver posted:

I would appreciate if you could sign me up as an administrator, if possible. Surely some rock out there needs someone to sysadmin the automatic mines.

P.S. Good call not using the real star name list, IMHO --- while it's nice to have names like Alpha Centauri, it's also full of similar-sounding prefix + numeric names,
which are kinda a pain. (Was it Gliese 674 or Gliese 687? --- etc.)

Ok, you are in. Also yeah, Real stars gets hard to keep track of very quickly. It also prevents you from capping the number of systems, which can cause really noticeable slowdown in long games.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Please put me down as an Administrator.

Virtual Russian posted:

Industrial Focus

a. Exo-operation – pursue industrial production that can utilized in off-world mining and colonization efforts. Infrastructure will be mass-produced, mass-drivers made and deployed alongside automated mines. Terraforming tech will be researched, as well as Increased mining capacity.

Primary Colonization Effort

c. Adrastapol-B III – In another system, this could stretch the limits of our capabilities, and we don’t know what minerals it may have. Yet such a jewel should be seized before others can. It can support a maximum population of 3,925 million.

Exploration Focus

b. Into the Unknown Our two Odysseus class vessels will enter and then scan, if safe, whatever lies beyond the two unexplored JPs in Sol.

Tech Focus

Power n propulsion

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Mokotow posted:

Please put me down as an Administrator.

I got you in, you did miss the vote closing by about an hour though. It wouldn't have changed the results though.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Everyone is going space navy, put me in the Army. Let's do some space marine grunt poo poo.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I would like to offer my services as an Administrator, preferably whichever one popped with the highest Diplomacy, if he's still available. I wanna make some first contacts! Either that or Espionage, every good empire needs a spymaster.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

BUG JUG posted:

Everyone is going space navy, put me in the Army. Let's do some space marine grunt poo poo.

I got you in, for now it's more like space marine garrison duty though.

EclecticTastes posted:

I would like to offer my services as an Administrator, preferably whichever one popped with the highest Diplomacy, if he's still available. I wanna make some first contacts! Either that or Espionage, every good empire needs a spymaster.

C# Aurora actually removed teams, diplomacy and espionage are significantly changed as a result. Both now are primarily preformed though unique ship components. The Diplomacy module gives you a slight bonus to translation when making first contact with aliens. Meanwhile the ELINT module gathers signals intelligence from Alien populations located within it's scanning range, slowly revealing more and more detailed reports on alien strength, tech, and installations. The unfortunate result of all this is that administrators have less cool stuff to do.

Let me know if you still want to be an administrator.

Tiny Turtle
May 2, 2008

Hi, buddies!
I am addicted to these Aurora LPs, gently caress. I'd like to be a Naval Officer if that's cool. I love space boats, they're big. The biggest boat, please and thank you. Just the hugest.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Tiny Turtle posted:

I am addicted to these Aurora LPs, gently caress. I'd like to be a Naval Officer if that's cool. I love space boats, they're big. The biggest boat, please and thank you. Just the hugest.

You're in, no command just yet. Remind me when we start rolling new Ships out.

Also we are having some hilariously weird luck. Both really good and really bad.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

“Academy class after academy class of weirdly named cadets!”
- Vice Admiral Wong Eun-Sook, Supreme Commander of Terran Military

Our industrial capacity is immediately set to the task of supporting our colonial goals. Infrastructure is of the utmost priority. When settling planets without perfect conditions it keeps our citizens safe and happy, we cannot settle Europa without it. Mass drivers are essentially giant planetary cannons into which our diligent miners will load their extracted minerals, and then shoot them to the destination we choose. To function properly the planet receiving the mineral packet must also have a mass driver. Without one the packet smashes into the planet with the force of many thermonuclear detonations. We also need mines for our citizens to work in. Deep Space Tracking Systems are passive sensor,s which we will place on Europa, that will extend our vision into space, and should alert us to any fly-bys that may occur. Two installations are pretty small, but this is not our focus so I’m not going to make more right now. Research Labs and Construction Factories are going to be continually produced at a minimum level to ensure we keep growing and learning at a reasonable pace.

Unseen in this image is that I also ordered the production run of 300 of our short-range missiles. This is not a lot, but should be enough of a buffer to get us through any early combat we may experience. They are small and we can make quite a number each month. Hopefully we won’t need them.

Our top scientists set to work researching Power and Propulsion techs. Once we have researched Pebble Bed Reactor, we should be able to research the next level of engine, it will take some time of course. Our other scientist will work on making our engines more fuel efficient, which is very important. To support our colonial efforts, I have allotted a small amount of labs to research Terraforming tech, as well as Orbital Habitats. Due to the low number of labs, and modest bonuses, these will take some time. We can expect this to improve as we get more labs online and our scientists gain experience. The last two projects amount to little more than make-work research to speed up the gaining of experience for critical tech areas.

While we did not make expanding our shipyards a priority, I will be making some modest improvements. I’ve set some small short-term projects, which should free our slipways up for retooling soon. We will not be building any ships immediately, as we have no new designs in dire need of production, and I’ve received no instructions to produce anything. This will serve us well as our industrial production is going to need tons of mineral inputs to support or colonial efforts. Rest assured though, we will soon be producing ships, we will need them.

That takes care of our industrial efforts for the next several years, with internal business settled, lets shift focus to our fleets. To carry out our exploration we will need to issue orders, both standing and specific, to our survey craft. We do that through the naval organization window.

You can see on the left a portion of our rudimentary fleet organization. I’ve got our three survey craft in the own fleet. They are organized such that I can issue each sub-fleet individual orders. First I’ll issue them their standing orders, which is what they will default to when they run out of specific orders.

These orders will make the ship automatically travel to and scan for minerals at the nearest planet or moon inside the system they occupy. Should it run out of celestial bodies to scan it will begin scanning gravitational anomalies, potentially revealing new jump points, and thus potentially new systems. One of our survey vessels is not equipped with gravitational scanners, it will be ordered to scan asteroids as a secondary function. That ship will always be on clean-up behind the other two, as they will not be scanning asteroids. I’ve also added a conditional order for all ships to return to Earth if fuel gets low.

Now, we have to get these ships into the systems they will be scanning. To do that we flip over to the movement tab and then select our orders from the options presented.

Here I’ve selected a jump point, and then selected the “standard transit” order, which will make the ship pass though it into the other system. All that is left for me to do is click add move and then run the clock.

I’ve got to repeat this process with the other two ships now. In the future I won’t bother showing you the orders I’m giving in such detail, I’ll just give a short explanation when relevant. I just wanted to go into detail at least once to show how its done, as people expressed interest in a LP that also shows the mechanics off a bit.

Returning to the “map”, I can now see our organized sub-fleets displayed on the map in text, and I can see the movement orders I’ve issued to our exploration vessels.

I’m now going to create a sub-fleet for hauling infrastructure to Europa and give them orders to pick it up on Earth, fly to Europa, drop it of, and then return and refuel. Once things get rolling, I’ll order this to happen on repeat. Once we have some infrastructure on Europa, I’ll begin sending colonists over. It will be very slow going at first, especially considering how hostile and remote Europa is.

January 7th, 2100

Orders issued, our ships leave orbit of earth and head towards their respective destinations. Our cargo crews rest easy knowing they’ve got at worst a distance of 2 billion kilometres to travel, and will be resting at home on earth soon. Our survey crews have been provisioned for years in space, they will be far from home, and in near constant peril.

PurpleXVI is currently the CO of the DSS Aden Baker Meinel, one of our survey vessels, best of luck on your first command!

February 24th, 2100

Europa has it’s first citizen, Governor Mokotow. So far, we have moved a measly 20 infrastructure to Europa. The transports I’ve used are much too small for this task, fortunately I have some very slow, but much larger bulk cargo vessels. I’m going to order several of them to start hauling infrastructure over.

You can see here just how harsh Europa is, an average surface temperature of -161.2 degrees, with zero atmosphere. We need 630 infrastructure per million colonists. We can improve that with costly and slow terraforming, once we research it. No matter though, this distant moon is well worth the cost, it contains precious TN minerals, as well as the remnants of some alien installations. We of course will need to research mobile xenoarchaeology labs to get at that stuff. You can probably tell, we can only do so much, and there is so much more that we will always want to do.

Now despite the pitiful amount of infrastructure on Europa, we will begin shipping over colonists. For this task we will utilize our sole vessel capable of transporting civilians, the Spaceliner Titan.

In her past life Titan conducted luxury cruises around the solar system for those wealthy enough to afford such an extravagance. However, once the colonization of Europa became a priority she was commissioned into the navy and hastily refit to serve transporting colonists. This massive vessel is the largest humanity has ever produced, weighing in at just over 75,000 tons and stretching over a kilometre and a half in length. All naval and administrative officials involved in the appropriation of Titan agree that this vessel is wholly unsuited to colonization tasks, the ship burns far too much fuel to get so few people to their destination. Our engineers have already pointed out that we possess the technology to build large sleeper colony ships, which could transport tens of thousands of colonists in a single trip.

February 27th, 2100

PurpleXVI has discovered the first deposit of TN minerals outside of the Sol system!

March 26th, 2100

While conducting scientific tests on an overcharged gauss cannon, Arrath, along with most of their lab staff, was killed when the cannon suffered an unexpected discharged, setting off nearby ammunition. An inquiry found that negligence, along with under-staffing may have been the root cause of such a preventable disaster. The ensuing scandal saw the complete discontinuing of the high velocity gauss cannon program. Remaining staff were reassigned to work on increasing turret rotation speed.

March sees our first death, Arrath, go figure our first death is also one of you. A bad omen. I have no spare Kinetic & Missiles scientists, so I am forced to cancel the project and start a new one. I can set researchers to operate outside their specialty, but its quite slow. We have miserably poor scientific diversity now, almost half our scientists are classed for energy weapon research.

On the positive side we are discovering some really rich mineral deposits, as well as seeing our first civilian ship launched. Civilians will conduct trade between colonies, and essentially create infrastructure from nothing by trading civilian produced infrastructure to our colonies, which brings it under our control. The downside is how slow this process goes. We can also tender transportation contracts with civilians for a fee. This can be very handy.

March 26th, 2100

While surveying in the Adrantis system, the DSS Iosif Samuilovich Shkovskymade a tremendous discovery. The planet currently known to us as Adrantis-A II, a planet with a slightly too thin Nitrogen-Oxygen atmosphere, contains massive amounts of Trans-Newtonian Minerals. Most of them are located deep within the planet and will take immense amounts of mining equipment to extract in meaningful quantities. They have reported back to command that a ground-based survey team might be able to find areas ideal for mining, or even more deposits.

The Captain then sent an encoded follow up message detailing that they also found evidence of a ruined alien settlement, in slightly better condition than the one on Europa, as well as being much larger. We now have irrefutably evidence that a spacefaring alien civilization once existed in this part of the galaxy. We can also infer that they must have suffered some great calamity, caused by what and when remains a mystery to us.

Our sole logistics scientist is suffering from poor health, so I’ve decided to take drastic action. I’m appointing a scientist to be the commandant of our military academy. We currently receive 5 new officers per year, with only a 7% chance of them being a scientist. Making the commandant a scientist raises this chance to 14%. We will need to build more academies soon.

July 29th, 2100

In late July Vice Admiral Wong Eun-Sook, Supreme commander of Terran Navy, announced that their research branch had suspended the development program related to electronic attack resistant computer components. They would now be pursuing better shield technology, which they suspect may more effective in protecting our naval vessels. However, not long after this announcement rumors began to swirl that there had been another disastrous lab accident. Investigation revealed that an unusually high number of retirements had been recorded from the cancelled project just before the Admirals’s announcement. None of these scientists could be located to answer questions. While an accident was never confirmed, public confidence in the Navy Science program sunk to new all time lows.

This is unreal, scientists are supposed to have some of the lowest chances to die, and we’ve lost two valuable ones inside several months.

On the upside Europa now has approximately 30,000 inhabitants, and is producing 100 tons of minerals a year.

November 1st, 2100

We had an uneventful couple of months, November sees more deposits discovered, as well as the completion of some modest shipyard expansion.

You can see that the rest of our expansion projects are coming along nicely. It will still be some time before our military dockyards are complete.

Our fuel and maintenance supplies are in great shape, so I’m going to begin training exercises with our fleet. This will put wear and tear on our ships, as well as burn fuel and supplies, but it will drastically increase the crew’s grade. A higher grade means better performance under pressure. In combat seconds count, and a low grade crew will experience large delays in execution of orders.

Naturally, I left our FACs (Fast Attack Craft) in the training group. These vessels are meant for deployments of several days, and after a month of training will need some major shore leave and overhauling. Oops.

January 1st, 2101

December is uneventful, our fleet continues to train and our industry continues to produce goods for our colonies.

Sensing a gap in the market, Cephalus Transport and Trading has launched a sleeper style colony ship capable of carrying 50,000 colonists per trip. We can surmise they will be focusing on carrying colonists to the fledgling colony on the Moon, as quick trips will net them far more profit than the long journey to Europa.

Our year end finances are in very good shape. We are only running a slight deficit. We can expect this to really tank once we start building ships.

That’s going to be all for this update, I’ll be playing at least one more full year before I put anything to a vote. We will certainly be commissioning some ships at that point as well. I’ll be updating both the planets and fleet posts on the first page. I’m not going to put the massive technical readouts into the updates. Just know if you want that information it is available. I’ll generally be playing more than one year at a time as well. I won’t bother updating on things like mineral deposits or simple colony progression. I’ll have the next update out pretty quick with any luck.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
I'll add to our surplus of Naval Officers.

Edit: Oops, update. Clearly the aliens are already among us and are after our key scientists!

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 17, 2020

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I appreciate you showing off some of the deeper mechanics of how to actually play the game. I've been interested in Aurora for a while but I bounced off and couldn't really figure it out.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Virtual Russian posted:

C# Aurora actually removed teams, diplomacy and espionage are significantly changed as a result. Both now are primarily preformed though unique ship components. The Diplomacy module gives you a slight bonus to translation when making first contact with aliens. Meanwhile the ELINT module gathers signals intelligence from Alien populations located within it's scanning range, slowly revealing more and more detailed reports on alien strength, tech, and installations. The unfortunate result of all this is that administrators have less cool stuff to do.

Let me know if you still want to be an administrator.

Ah, nerts, well, I'll stick with Administrator, and just hope a cushy sector governor position opens up.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I know we're not up to a vote yet, but I think we may want to research some better OSHA standards before moving back to other fields.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Not Alex and Eclectic Tastes you are both in now.

Also yeah, losing those two scientists, who were each alone in their fields, was terrible luck.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I know we're not up to a vote yet, but I think we may want to research some better OSHA standards before moving back to other fields.

Seconded :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
It's a shame we can't put all those discovered resources to use simply building new scientists, either AI's or androids.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

One thing C# aurora added was the ability to respecialize scientists. It tanks their bonus, but it lets them start building up experience. Otherwise, missing an important field (propulsion) basically cripples you since out-of-specialty scientists are mostly useless (our mediocre in-field scientists have a higher bonus now than the best possible out-of-field scientist ever can)

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Foxfire_ posted:

One thing C# aurora added was the ability to respecialize scientists. It tanks their bonus, but it lets them start building up experience. Otherwise, missing an important field (propulsion) basically cripples you since out-of-specialty scientists are mostly useless (our mediocre in-field scientists have a higher bonus now than the best possible out-of-field scientist ever can)

I did not know this. I'm going to get right on this.

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
I was waiting for this to happen for a long time.

Volunteering as Ground Officer !

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Virtual Russian posted:

Not Alex and Eclectic Tastes you are both in now.

Also yeah, losing those two scientists, who were each alone in their fields, was terrible luck.

Clearly this means we need to invest heavily in shields and lasers. It's more flavourful this way!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

As administrator of Europa, I am weary of the rabble that’s pouring into what is, mostly, a goverment and military operation. Thus, I’m requesting a security garrison of at least 25000 soldiers.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Clearly this means we need to invest heavily in shields and lasers. It's more flavourful this way!

I forget exactly how the tech works from the previous Aurora LP I posted in for a while, but can we combine those? Make a laser that generates shielding. Or a shield made of lasers for ramming! Now, I'm no fancy-pants scientist, just a old-fashioned bureaucrat, but I always say, go big or go home.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

EclecticTastes posted:

I forget exactly how the tech works from the previous Aurora LP I posted in for a while, but can we combine those? Make a laser that generates shielding. Or a shield made of lasers for ramming! Now, I'm no fancy-pants scientist, just a old-fashioned bureaucrat, but I always say, go big or go home.

Now this is a real Red Mage plan.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I'm mostly interested in participating as a ship designer, so could you put me in as CEO of the shipping line?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Gnoman posted:

I'm mostly interested in participating as a ship designer, so could you put me in as CEO of the shipping line?

Unfortunately no such position exists. We'll be having a design contest very shortly though. Update is all done, just writing a brief shipbuilding tutorial.

Kodos666 posted:

I was waiting for this to happen for a long time.

Volunteering as Ground Officer !

You are in!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
"Hell yeah, those idiots actually let me go into space despite faking my credentials. Navigator, point us towards the nearest black hole! I want to toss a box of funko pops in there and watch them die."

If there's any chance to survey something incredibly hazardous in a foolhardy manner, the commander and crew of the DSS Aden Baker Meinel volunteer with all their hearts.

Also if commanders have stats or traits, I'd love to see what kind of bright-eyed defective I am in this game.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

January 31st, 2101

Saros gets that big promotion! We also get our first graduate from the academy this year, and thank goodness they are a scientist. Ground Forces isn’t really what we need the most, but we do have some projects in there that are must haves.

I’m ending our fleets exercises and letting the crews return to routine duty. I’ll be cycling them back onto exercises soon enough.

April 19th, 2101

Sol is a buzz with activity, our freighters and Titan are constantly traversing between Earth and Europa. We are up to four civilian ships operating in the system now.

Work on two deep space tracking systems completes on Earth, and we begin producing automated mines.

May 19th, 2101

Our surveyor in Accatran discovers a lot of very easily mined TN minerals on a moon. This could make an ok colony, but there is a planet in this system with an easily terraformed atmosphere. Likely this moon will serve as a mining outpost shipping its minerals to the actual colony.

June 18th, 2101

June sees our largest military shipyard expanded by 2000 tons, I’m going to squeeze in another 500 tons before the end of the year.

While on exercise one of our Zeus class Gunboats suffered a major engine failure. As it had plenty of spare parts on hand the engine was immediately repaired, and the vessel got underway. Had it not been able to repair the engine might have exploded, and no matter what the vessel would have slowed and needed to put into drydock to repair.

We have now surveyed the planet in Accatran with some atmosphere. It has some great mineral deposits, and what is missing is made up for in the moon we surveyed last month, as well as other bodies in the system. Should we colonize this system, this planet is the ideal location.

August 22nd, 2101

While conducting maneuvers during a wargame the Gunboat Aristarchus, under the command of Commander Radio Free Kobold, momentarily suffered a massive power loss. The massive vessel collided with the nearby Gunboat Crisium while travelling at a speed in excess of 3000km/s, causing extensive damage. Tragically, Commander Radio Free Kobold was killed while leading damage control teams in fighting fires that broke out near the thermonuclear missile tubes. The exercise has been called off and the Commander will be given a full military funeral. Radio Free Kobold is being posthumously awarded a medal for valor due to saving both vessels from total catastrophe. It also being proposed that we name a future vessel after the gallant commander.

You guys are dropping like flies and we aren’t even at war… If anyone wants to be re-dorfed just let me know.

We also continue to find tons of mineral in the Accatran system.

September 22nd, 2101

Sensing opportunity, some enterprising individuals have set up a private mining colony on Mars. We will be dispatching a governor to oversee their operations, we will also be purchasing their minerals and shipping them to Earth for use in our industry. Alternatively, we can tax them as they sell their minerals on the civilian market, this nets us a little cash. Right now we badly need the minerals.

It’s still very small, but it should grow quickly as we purchase minerals from them. While not seeming like much, it will still help us out significantly. We especially need duranium for producing infrastructure.

Things are starting to look a bit busier in Sol, it will get way more cluttered in the next decade or two.

January 1st, 2102

The rest of the year proceeds blissfully uneventful. Some of our scientists improve their abilities, and most of our shipyard improvements are completed. I set some more modest improvements that should complete the coming summer.

February 3rd, 2102

Against my better judgement I put the fleet back on exercise.

To do so I’m simply selecting the fleet in the Naval Organization window, selecting the “Training” Admin command type, and then hitting the “update admin” button. This causes them to receive training and experience at 4x the standard rate, but also consumes fuel and supplies at an increased rate. Perhaps it also increases the risk of accidents too?

May 12th, 2102

Please appreciate that seeing those two alerts really made me fear for you guys.

With the carrier at its max deployment (6 months, but training incurs 2x deployment factor) I’m pulling the fleet from exercises. An uneventful 3 month deployment is the most we can hope for.

We also continue to find abnormally mineral rich worlds, many that would make easy colonies.

Here’s a somewhat cluttered readout of all the colony cost 2 or less planets with minerals. We can see a ton of options there, mostly in the Accatran System. We would be wise to get boots on the ground in that system quickly, with enough infrastructure it could easily eclipse the productive capacity of Sol. It is worth noting though that the perfect cost zero planet in Adrastapol is yet to be surveyed, though that system seems light on minerals so far. However, leaving a cost zero unclaimed long-term is a foolish choice.

July 11th, 2102

While game-hawking near the Swiss-Alps while off-duty, Gunther von Boehm was accidentally shot though the neck by a poacher. Von Boehm died while being airlifted to a nearby hospital. Journalists and public alike were incensed by the death of yet another high-profile scientist in such a short period of time, but no amount of investigation could reveal this to be anything more than tragedy.

I cannot believe we lost another scientist, at least this one wasn’t one of you guys, and at least no research projects had to be cancelled.

We also found an insane amount of low access mineral in Adrastapol. 65 million access 0.7 Gallicite is the real find there though. We need Gallicite to produce spare parts and engines. There is enough on that planet, easily accessible, to keep fleet running for a millennium. Getting it out of the ground will require a ton of automated mines as it has an atmosphere so dense no amount of infrastructure will make sending colonists there economical.

August 10th, 2102

While not an amazing mineral base for a colony, this is a cost zero planet. With the massive in system deposits of Gallicite this planet could be colonized and turned into a massive space-dock and maintenance facility for the largest ships we end up building.

January 1st, 2103

As the year 2102 drew to a close a tension set in within the High Command. General Tacha Romanova, Commander of the Terran Army, had been protesting louder and louder the neglect the Army had been facing. Worse still, the General has pointed out the complete defenselessness of our new colonies. If we suffered a surprise attack, which almost any attack would be due to our poor sensor coverage, our citizens would have little warning before atomic weapons rained down on them. The fleet would not be fast enough to intercept any foe on Europa’s sensor scopes before that foe reached Europa. General Romanova insists our only option is to fortify Europa, and the Moon to a lesser extent, with a garrison armed with Surface-to-Orbit Point Defense guns, which could shoot down incoming ordnance. Everyone agrees that at the very least a token garrison must be sent to these colonies to act as a police force. The only problem is that the Terran Navy possesses no vessels capably of transporting troops.

Meanwhile, the administrators tasked with overseeing the colonization of Europa have been begging the Navy to develop a sleeper style colony ship, similar to what the civilians are using to colonize the Moon. They justifiable claim that the Spaceliner Titan is not up to the task, it burns immense amounts of fuel and delivers far too few colonists. The Moon has reached 760,000 colonists in half the time it took Europa to reach 330,000 colonists. Further underlining the need for a new colony ship is that the government is feeling pressure to begin colonizing nearby systems, from which tantalizing reports of verdant worlds filled with minerals keep returning via survey craft.

Complicating the situation further is Admiral Wong Eun-Sook’s desire to see new warships designed and produced. The Admiral has pointed out that our current warships are suited to inter-system duty and would have trouble projecting power into nearby systems. Almost impossible would be protecting colonies in nearby systems in the event of sustained conflict. Clear to anyone speaking with the Admiral, is that he lacks a clear vision of what the navy should look like moving into this new reality. Enterprising younger officers have begun drafting proposals for a new fleet doctrine, all hoping their will be chosen.

The following map shows the current extent of our sensor systems, we could expect to detect enemy ships somewhere inside the outer and inner bands depending on the ships thermal/EM signature.

The rest of the year passed without any incidents. Our shipyard expansions are all complete.

I think it’s about time we put these into action. I will need designs for new ships to produce, as well as direction on how we want to proceed with our colonial projects. It’s much too soon to vote on economic and research policies again, so we’ll be focused on how we execute what was already decided. Our major effort will continue to be based around off-world development.

As we are going to need to decide which system to move into next during the vote, I’m going to provide mineral readout for each system, plus my own assessment.

Adrastapol

A very attractive binary system, easily colonized due to having a perfect world ready for colonists to move into. This would free up our infrastructure to be used elsewhere in our efforts. The largest drawback is a current lack of Neutronium inside the system. All that is left to scan in this system is the asteroids. We can always ship Neutronium in, and we would have to if we colonize here, it is needed to build factories. The jump point is on one side of system, making the journey between earth and Adrastapol-B III take anywhere from 3.5 to 9.5 billion kilometres. Any ship making this journey must have a range of roughly 19 billion kilometres, to account for the worst possible distance there and back. I cannot micromanage repeat orders so this is imperative to remember. We will colonize this world at some point soon no matter the vote(vote will determine how soon), so keep that distance in mind when designing ships.

Adrantis

This four star system has all the minerals we need, though some are hard to access. The world we would colonize has insufficient atmosphere, so we would need infrastructure until we can terraform it. The main world also contains a ruined alien settlement, which no doubt is filled with artifacts waiting to be understood. We can expect a regular journey between earth and Adrantis-A II to take 8 billion kilometres.

Accatran

This single star system has a decent spread of mineral, though is lacking in both Uridium and Vendarite. The world we would be first colonizing has a very thin atmosphere, and would need lengthy terraforming to remove the infrastructure requirement. On the upside its Sol jump point is located centrally, allowing easy and reliable transport between systems. We can expect to always travel 5 billion kilometres between Accatran IV and Earth.

Below will be the voting docket, please quote the docket only, eliminating the options you do not want.

Ship Building will work a little differently. We are in need of a colony ship, a troop transport, and some variety of warship able to conduct operation in Sol and the nearby systems. You can propose a complete building program, or just single ships. You can enter one ship per category. That doesn’t mean you can’t design a multi-role, a colony ship that also carries troops might be very useful. Initially we will just be posting designs, any designs that get seconded (or I feel are worth voting on) will then be complied into another docket, which we will actually vote on. Remember if your ship design gets selected you get a bonus vote to spend on a policy vote in the future.

When you post a ship please be sure your screen-cap includes the component list, that way I can faithfully reconstruct it.

I’m going to make a follow-up post detailing how to design a ship, so that might help if you are new to the game. If you want to participate, but don’t want to/don’t understand how to run the game, please just describe in detail what your ship should have and I promise to do my best to make that ship.

Important info: Our troops come in 2500 ton and 10,000 ton units right now. Your design needs to hold at the minimum 2500 tons of troops to be eligible. Please also remember the size of our shipyards.

So please design a colony ship, a troop transport, and/or a warship.

Here is my database file, copy it into your fresh install of Aurora 1.11, remove the existing database first, do not overwrite.

Edit: I had to update this because I screwed something up in game, had to spacemaster it.

Aside all this, feel free to design components, this will be informal. I’ll add and maybe even research any I like or that people in the thread like.

Here’s the policy vote:

+++++++++++ Colonization Effort Decision and Naval Development Program+++++++++++

1. What system should we first colonize outside Sol:

a. Adrastapol

b. Adrantis

c. Accatran

2. Should we begin a sustained warship building program, or divert resources elsewhere?

a. The fleet must grow larger!

b. The Navy can make do with a few new ships.

c. Only one new warship, our industry needs those resources!

3. Europa Defense Initiative

a. We must fortify Europa from future attacks, install Surface-to-Orbit weapons

b. We will install a respectable garrison to function as a police force

+++++++++++ End of Docket+++++++++++

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 18, 2020

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

"Hell yeah, those idiots actually let me go into space despite faking my credentials. Navigator, point us towards the nearest black hole! I want to toss a box of funko pops in there and watch them die."

If there's any chance to survey something incredibly hazardous in a foolhardy manner, the commander and crew of the DSS Aden Baker Meinel volunteer with all their hearts.

Also if commanders have stats or traits, I'd love to see what kind of bright-eyed defective I am in this game.

It might be a neat idea to do occasional bonus updates that just show off all the dorfed characters and their stats, if that's the case. That way it's organized.

Votes:

Any. Colonize whichever system seems easiest to fully bring under our control quickly. Rapid expansion is key in these days before First Contact.

C. Focus on industry, as it will speed up all future military buildup. We have no enemies at present, so we should become as productive as possible before we run into them.

B. We have no current enemies, so we should ensure domestic prosperity for the moment, and worry about building up our defenses once we know what our borders actually look like.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
We need to locate the Space Witch that put this curse on us and get them to lift it somehow, but until then.

Virtual Russian posted:

+++++++++++ Colonization Effort Decision and Naval Development Program+++++++++++

c. Accatran - Makes me think of the Transformers

2. Should we begin a sustained warship building program, or divert resources elsewhere?

a. The fleet must grow larger! - eyes and ears! and guns!

a. We must fortify Europa from future attacks, install Surface-to-Orbit weapons - only trust your StOWs, the police will never help you

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I like the idea of doing little updates on the named characters.

Also I'm going to run voting for 48 hours. I'll see if we have any ships in 24 hours, and then think about how long to wait before doing a ship vote.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

quote:

March 26th, 2100

While conducting scientific tests on an overcharged gauss cannon, Arrath, along with most of their lab staff, was killed when the cannon suffered an unexpected discharged, setting off nearby ammunition. An inquiry found that negligence, along with under-staffing may have been the root cause of such a preventable disaster. The ensuing scandal saw the complete discontinuing of the high velocity gauss cannon program. Remaining staff were reassigned to work on increasing turret rotation speed.

March sees our first death, Arrath, go figure our first death is also one of you. A bad omen. I have no spare Kinetic & Missiles scientists, so I am forced to cancel the project and start a new one.

:lol: I also died super early/quick in the Cold War LP. I guess I'm just cursed when it comes to Aurora :allears:

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Thirded.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

If you want back in I'll put in Arrath the Second. That was a super fast death.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sure, lets do it! Make me a sciencey scientist again, please.

My pick for field turned out to be disastrous, I'll leave the next one up to you. :v:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Had to update the dropbox because I needed to fix something in world.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

A— Adrastapol
B—Minor Naval Expansion
A—Fortress Europa

Also, forgot to ask, but dorf me as a low ranking Naval Officer, please!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Virtual Russian posted:

Unfortunately no such position exists. We'll be having a design contest very shortly though. Update is all done, just writing a brief shipbuilding tutorial.

Yeah, I know it isn't something that exists in-game, and was suggestng it as fluff. In that case, I'll sign up as a naval officer - science is too dangerous.

Ship submissions:

While the Odysseus class ships are fine vessels, the fact that they are completely unarmed makes them poorly suited to the initial exploration of new systems. Now that we have certain proof of a spacefaring xenobiological civilization, we must be on guard against the possibility that other such races exist and are hostile. Therefore, we submit the Endeavour-class to conduct the crucial initial survey.
code:
Endeavour class Exploration Cruiser (P)      12,000 tons       260 Crew       1,313.1 BP       TCS 240    TH 512    EM 0
2133 km/s      Armour 3-46       Shields 0-0       HTK 56      Sensors 60/0/1/1      DCR 10      PPV 42
Maint Life 5.04 Years     MSP 1,083    AFR 115%    IFR 1.6%    1YR 71    5YR 1,064    Max Repair 128.00 MSP
Magazine 300    
Commander    Control Rating 2   BRG   SCI   
Intended Deployment Time: 23.5 months    Morale Check Required    

Rhee Marine Atomosaur Cruise Drive (2)    Power 512.0    Fuel Use 45.00%    Signature 256.00    Explosion 10%
Fuel Capacity 1,000,000 Litres    Range 33.3 billion km (180 days at full power)

Nas Ordnance CIWS-80 (2x6)    Range 1000 km     TS: 8,000 km/s     ROF 5       
Gavrilov & Rozhdestvensky Size 5 Missile Launcher (75.00% Reduction) (5)     Missile Size: 5    Rate of Fire 70
Size 5 Box Launcher (31)     Missile Size: 5    Hangar Reload 111 minutes    MF Reload 18 hours
Strickland & Hunter Missile Fire Control FC10-R10 (1)     Range 10.3m km    Resolution 10
Spear Anti-Ship Missile (60)    Speed: 12,320 km/s    End: 13.8m     Range: 10.2m km    WH: 6    Size: 5    TH: 41/24/12

Lalbhai & Akkiyana Active Search Sensor AS14-R20 (1)     GPS 360     Range 14.5m km    Resolution 20
Lackner-Ebner Active Search Sensor AS1-R1 (1)     GPS 3     Range 2m km    MCR 175.9k km    Resolution 1
Suvorov Electronics Thermal Sensor TH10-60 (1)     Sensitivity 60     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  61.2m km
Geological Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour
Gravitational Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Functionally an expanded and armed Odysseus, the Endeavour is built around a considerably more powerful drive system, and is thickly armored. This comes at the cost of range and loiter time, but the existing Odysseus class ships can be used once we have confidence that any new system is safe.

The only new component is the highlighted engine, which fills a niche the other ones did not - the commercial drives are too weak, and the military ones are too thirsty.

With small modifications, the design can be converted into a pure combat vessel. These changes are minor enough not to require alterations to the production line, giving us great flexibility.

code:
Aswan class Cruiser (P)      12,000 tons       310 Crew       1,159.5 BP       TCS 240    TH 512    EM 0
2133 km/s      Armour 3-46       Shields 0-0       HTK 64      Sensors 60/0/0/0      DCR 10      PPV 51
Maint Life 4.95 Years     MSP 1,003    AFR 115%    IFR 1.6%    1YR 68    5YR 1,019    Max Repair 128 MSP
Magazine 200    
Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 24 months    Morale Check Required    

Rhee Marine Atomosaur Cruise Drive (2)    Power 512    Fuel Use 45.00%    Signature 256    Explosion 10%
Fuel Capacity 1,000,000 Litres    Range 33.3 billion km (180 days at full power)

Size 5 Box Launcher (3)     Missile Size: 5    Hangar Reload 111 minutes    MF Reload 18 hours
Gavrilov & Rozhdestvensky Size 5 Missile Launcher (75.00% Reduction) (13)     Missile Size: 5    Rate of Fire 70
Strickland & Hunter Missile Fire Control FC10-R10 (1)     Range 10.3m km    Resolution 10
Spear Anti-Ship Missile (40)    Speed: 12,320 km/s    End: 13.8m     Range: 10.2m km    WH: 6    Size: 5    TH: 41/24/12

Lalbhai & Akkiyana Active Search Sensor AS14-R20 (1)     GPS 360     Range 14.5m km    Resolution 20
Lackner-Ebner Active Search Sensor AS1-R1 (1)     GPS 3     Range 2m km    MCR 175.9k km    Resolution 1
Suvorov Electronics Thermal Sensor TH10-60 (1)     Sensitivity 60     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  61.2m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

While the Aswan-class can not throw a single salvo equal to that of the Endeavor due to a lack of box launchers, it can fire multiple salvos of decent size, and reload from a collier in the field.

Gnoman fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 19, 2020

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
1: A
2: A
3: A

What’s my current assignment?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Virtual Russian posted:

a. Adrastapol

b. The Navy can make do with a few new ships.

a. We must fortify Europa from future attacks, install Surface-to-Orbit weapons

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

To begin you will need a fresh install of Aurora 1.11

You can find the base installation of Aurora here, as well as the 1.11.0 patch which I will be using here. You will need this installed to build ships that will work in my game. When we do a contest, I will post the save database from my game. You need to use my database as that is essentially the save file.

If you play it yourself obviously you will need a separate install to load my game, as you have to delete your own database and paste in mine. It possible you could cut yours out and put it back later, but I wouldn't chance it. It's laughable that saves aren't really a thing in Aurora, unless I really missed something.

Remove your database (the .db file), do not simply copy mine over the default one. This is the advice of myself and the game’s creator

1. To begin, simply open the game. You should immediately get dumped into a screen that looks like this:

2. In the top left hand portion of the screen find the button that looks like a drafting and ruler, click it to bring up the shipbuilding window.

You should now be looking at a window that looks like the following image, and is labeled “class design”:

3. In the dropdown menu below the miscellaneous tab select the class you want your ship to be identified as. Don’t worry too much as this has no bearing on the ships performance, it simple helps you keep track of what it does.

For this tutorial I’ll be designing a Troop Transport.

Once you’ve selected the class label you want, click the “new ship class” button at the bottom of the window.

4. You know have a brand-new ship class with a few default components onboard. Your class should also have received a name automatically, you can rename it if you want. You should see something that looks like the image below.

Lets take a second and examine the information we are being given here.

btw you do need a single engineering space on civilian ships.

5. Before adding anything, I always clear out the default fuel tank. By default, we are in the “race components” option, which allows us to add researched components to the ship design by double-clicking on them. When we switch to “class components”, we can see what has been added to the ship, and can remove them by double-clicking on them. You will switch between these very frequently as you test out different components.

Below is an image of the default ship just before I remove the fuel tank.

Once we double-click it should immediately disappear, and the fuel tank info to the right should also disappear.

6. Let’s begin adding components, be sure you switched back to “race component” option. First, I want to add my mission critical components. In this case I’m going to add my “Troops Transport Bays”. I know I need to carry units that are either 2,500tons or 10,000tons. Do achieve this I am adding to the design 2 “troop transport bay – large”.

Once I’ve added them I can see the transport capacity in the technical readout.

Another critical component with any freighter or transport that can expect to pick up or drop off good where there are no starports is the “cargo shuttle bay”. This component allows loading and unloading of goods/troops. Without one our transport bays are useless 90% of the time.

When done correctly you should notice the technical readout have a “cargo shuttle multiplier”, I’ve added 2 components to give a multiplier of 4. We can see I know have a load time of just under 7 hours.

7. Now we need to make this ship be able to move, to do so we’re going to add engines. I always try to do this second to last, as adding more components will affect the ship’s speed. I always save fuel for last, as range is totally dependant on the engines you selected.

I’ve added two of my most up to date commercial engines. Commercial engines are large and slow, but boast excellent fuel economy. If I used a non-commercial engine my ship would be classed as a military ship, and would suffer breakdowns and morale loss.

While this ship is slow at 652 m/s ( an equivalent tech military ship should be at least 2500m/s) this is ok because it is a freighter. It never will need to keep pace with the battle line.

8. Finally, I’m going to add my fuel tanks. I know that the furthest distance away I’m likely to delivery troops to is 19 billion kilometres. Therefore I’m going to want to design my ship to be able to make that journey, with a buffer.

I found I was happiest adding two regular sized fuel tanks. This gives me a healthy range of 25 billion kilometres, while not going so far over as to waste resources producing the ship, as well as waste fuel moving around a ship heavier than it needs to be.

At 15,803 tons this ship can be produced in any of my commercial shipyards.

At this point I can retool my shipyard and put this ship into production. Once I tool a shipyard the design will lock, and I cannot make alterations to it anymore.

Note: Military ships are much more complicated, far more than I can easily explain here. You need to ensure they have enough maintenance supplies (MSP), you must make sure they are reliable enough not to need constant repair overhauls, and you need to make sure the crew finds them tolerable to live on for extended periods. All energy weapons also require power to fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Gnoman posted:

Yeah, I know it isn't something that exists in-game, and was suggestng it as fluff. In that case, I'll sign up as a naval officer - science is too dangerous.

Ship submissions:

While the Odysseus class ships are fine vessels, the fact that they are completely unarmed makes them poorly suited to the initial exploration of new systems. Now that we have certain proof of a spacefaring xenobiological civilization, we must be on guard against the possibility that other such races exist and are hostile. Therefore, we submit the Endeavour-class to conduct the crucial initial survey.
code:
Endeavour class Exploration Cruiser (P)      12,000 tons       260 Crew       1,313.1 BP       TCS 240    TH 512    EM 0
2133 km/s      Armour 3-46       Shields 0-0       HTK 56      Sensors 60/0/1/1      DCR 10      PPV 42
Maint Life 5.04 Years     MSP 1,083    AFR 115%    IFR 1.6%    1YR 71    5YR 1,064    Max Repair 128.00 MSP
Magazine 300    
Commander    Control Rating 2   BRG   SCI   
Intended Deployment Time: 23.5 months    Morale Check Required    

Rhee Marine Atomosaur Cruise Drive (2)    Power 512.0    Fuel Use 45.00%    Signature 256.00    Explosion 10%

Gavrilov & Rozhdestvensky Size 5 Missile Launcher (75.00% Reduction) (5)     Missile Size: 5    Rate of Fire 70
Size 5 Box Launcher (31)     Missile Size: 5    Hangar Reload 111 minutes    MF Reload 18 hours
Spear Anti-Ship Missile (60)    Speed: 12,320 km/s    End: 13.8m     Range: 10.2m km    WH: 6    Size: 5    TH: 41/24/12

Geological Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour
Gravitational Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour

Functionally an expanded and armed Odysseus, the Endeavour is built around a considerably more powerful drive system, and is thickly armored. This comes at the cost of range and loiter time, but the existing Odysseus class ships can be used once we have confidence that any new system is safe.

Do you mind posting a component list?

It is short ranged, but that's more my opinion, I like survey craft I can send off for a decade. Shorter range does means more space for systems.