Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I do love seeing the ‘obviously added by the person’ listings. Yeah I see you, ‘girl drinking at bar’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just never look up bit part actors' Wikipedia pages. It's just too sad.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I'm thinking about those neo-noirs again.

In addition to The Last Seduction and Bound, what others am I missing that are from the perspective of the femme fatale(s)?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ynohtna posted:

In addition to The Last Seduction and Bound, what others am I missing that are from the perspective of the femme fatale(s)?

Femme Fatale by Brian DePalma

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

ynohtna posted:

The Grifters and One False Move. I guess Jackie Brown too just to cross off an obvious one.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What does the director of an animated film actually do? Are they just kind of like a general oversight person to see everything coming together at all parts?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Leavemywife posted:

What does the director of an animated film actually do? Are they just kind of like a general oversight person to see everything coming together at all parts?

How do you want the film to look? What is the final script? How do these characters interact? What is the colour palette? How is each character dressed? What is the style of animation? Which actors will voice the roles, and what music will we use? These, among other things, are what the director decides.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Leavemywife posted:

Yes. That's what the director on any project does.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 10, 2020

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

therattle posted:

How do you want the film to look? What is the final script? How do these characters interact? What is the colour palette? How is each character dressed? What is the style of animation? Which actors will voice the roles, and what music will we use? These, among other things, are what the director decides.

Ah, cool. I was never sure.

feedmyleg posted:

Yes. That's what the director on any project does.

It's not like they're sitting in a chair, shouting, "Action!" when it's time to start animating? drat.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
People mythologize the job of a director to a weird degree, but it's similar to being the boss at any company. This is true regardless of what type of production it is. You hire the best people for every job on the production and then trust them to do those jobs to the best of their ability. Meanwhile, you oversee and course correct everything when necessary. On set, directors work with the actors and crew to guide them, but that's only one relatively minor slice of the director's actual work.

Believe it or not, yelling "Action!" is not a particularly notable part of the job.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

You know, you're right; I never really thought about how much the director is pretty much just a manager, but for a movie. They'll have final say on a lot of things, but it's really up to the team they've assembled to make it all shine.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Generally the AD shouts “Action!” :viggo:
Directors often give a lot of guidance to actors. Most don’t just leave them to do their thing. Same with all HODs: they will do their jobs, but based on a shared vision with the director.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Also some directors are much more directly involved in cinematography than others. Like Kubrick was famously a photographer before he got into directing films so of course he always exerted a lot of control over that aspect of the production. Some directors can actually talk to their cinematographer or lighting man on their level about the technical stuff and others really can't.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah, so, I pretty much learned that I had very little idea of what a director actually does on set. I feel like an idiot.

Who is considered to be the most hands on director, like who consistently kept themselves involved in every level? Kubrick? I feel like he's gotta be up there.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've always imagined Soderbergh to as close to a one-man operation as you can get, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The director manages all creative units, the producer handles all business units. It’s roughly that simple; each is responsible for filling the roles under theirs; while a director makes a million decisions on things that are insane for any human to think about in terms of details that will vanish into obscurity until some film nerd twenty years down the line connects the dots (“oh wow, so the weird broach she kept on her dress comes from the Ancient Stone of Babylonia that got referenced in that story that they cut to during the campfire scene, and also it’s the same stone on the engagement ring he gives her at the end of the picture!”) from costuming to props to lights to aspects of an actor’s performance to approving setups to picking which takes to “print” to so on, and so on, producers meanwhile have to make a million decisions on things that are insane for any human to think to make sure the drat movie gets started, shot, and finished. That’s wrangling the legal papers, securing the financing, buttressing the financiers so they don’t pull out the day half your cameras and tools get taken out by a flash flood and suddenly there’s three more weeks needed to be put on the schedule and another two million to have to be scrounged together since they’ll be running with only half their equipment, and just generally freaking out about money, time, and manpower.

Ever wonder why the unit production manager is the first name you’ll see either after the above-line credits or first thing, period, at an end credits roll? Because that’s the person who, on a day to day basis, got the thing done. They hired the actual army of crew members underneath the people hired by the director, they mapped out the schedule, laid out the budget that the producer has secured them, dealt with the unions, got the movie star lead the bigger trailer they wanted, booked the hotel everyone’s staying at, oversaw or did the location releases for shooting, and shortened their lives, really, for the sake of art. Or, to put it another way: the UPM is the producer’s direct line to what’s going on on the ground. A lot of the things they do are obviously in assistance to or requiring the assistance of other departments, but they’re sort of the beating heart of the machine once the green light goes on.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Leavemywife posted:

The Frozen 2 documentary that got released on Disney+ recently was a pretty interesting look into how an animated flick gets developed, even if you don’t care about Frozen itself.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The Team Deakins Podcast has had some good episodes on animated movies and their production process, including what a director does. The most helpful ones for this topic are the interviews with directors from Into the Spider-Verse and How to Train Your Dragon.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

I've always imagined Soderbergh to as close to a one-man operation as you can get, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Soderbergh is definitely close, since he's his own cinematographer and editor. Kubrick, as mentioned, was infamously hands-on in as many aspects of his movies as he could be. Hitchcock, too, and Leone. For modern, Fincher and Paul Thomas Anderson come to mind.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Obviously not for every movie, but Robert Rodriguez liked putting "Shot and chopped by Robert Rodriguez" and various versions of that on his films

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Leavemywife posted:

Yeah, so, I pretty much learned that I had very little idea of what a director actually does on set. I feel like an idiot.

Who is considered to be the most hands on director, like who consistently kept themselves involved in every level? Kubrick? I feel like he's gotta be up there.

That’s ok! That’s what asking questions is for.

The Cameo’s post is spot-on. The role of the UPM is sometimes taken by the line producer (who would have a PM working for them), and I’d add that one other crucial role for the producer is the director’s closest creative collaborator, in certain cases. Not always but often. The physical, financial and creative aspects of filmmaking cannot be so neatly separated: financial decisions become creative ones, etc. The producer and director will jointly agree which trade offs to make.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

The Grifters and One False Move. I guess Jackie Brown too just to cross off an obvious one.

Can't believe I blanked on Jackie Brown. Will be definitely queuing up the other two for much deserved rewatching, thank you.

Skwirl posted:

Femme Fatale by Brian DePalma

I'm pretty certain I've already watched and dismissed this as bad even by Brian's later euro-trash standards. Or maybe I just dreamt that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Does the professor in Prince of Darkness lose his teaching job when he reports back to the college that like 10 of his students died in an experiment he was conducting?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Does the professor in Prince of Darkness lose his teaching job when he reports back to the college that like 10 of his students died in an experiment he was conducting?

Depends on if he was tenured or not.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm looking for precise answers here this is an important question.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I'm looking for precise answers here this is an important question.

If he had tenure he wasn't fired.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
In the movie the taken, why is the french guy throwing a party while his illegal girl slave auction is happening in the basement?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

In the movie the taken, why is the french guy throwing a party while his illegal girl slave auction is happening in the basement?

Having not watched the movie in a while, I assume it is cover for having a bunch of traffickers converge on his house by making it seem they are just party guests?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Tenzarin posted:

In addition to what Klungar said, why not have it during a party? It's pretty clear they're all super rich, and thus basically above the law.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Also, encouraging people to drink and relax can only increase how much they're willing to pay for your slaves. It's a win-win-win for almost everyone involved.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I don't know where else to ask this, but it just occurred to me earlier today, how do people get tickets to shows like Let's Make A Deal, or when a sitcom is filmed in front of a live studio audience? I'm guessing some are given out as prizes and stuff, but I don't think I've ever seen their sale advertised anywhere, or even heard about somewhere to get them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sites like https://1iota.com/ do that, although it's a bit sparse at the moment. I've done an audience thing once, it was fun albeit not the intended experience (short report here if you care).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

I don't know where else to ask this, but it just occurred to me earlier today, how do people get tickets to shows like Let's Make A Deal, or when a sitcom is filmed in front of a live studio audience? I'm guessing some are given out as prizes and stuff, but I don't think I've ever seen their sale advertised anywhere, or even heard about somewhere to get them.

Audience tickets are free. If they ever start filming in front of studio audiences again you can usually just check the website for the show and they'll have information on how to get tickets. It's usually a lot of people visiting New York or LA from out of town who are big fans of the show. I saw The Daily Show like 15 years ago this way when on a family trip to New York.

I remember being a kid and game shows would have a phone number you could call to get info about tickets.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I never had any idea that you could just do it that way. If my family and I are ever going to be around New York or LA, maybe I'll check into trying that out.

The trip report was cool, too, and I'm a little jealous. That seems like it'd be even better than seeing Clinton, just being able to listen to Colbert just basically chat about himself and take questions.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I’ve been to tapings of Letterman and Last Week Tonight.

With Letterman, you had to call in and answer a trivia question about the show. All my family (on a trip to NYC) was trying to call in at once, but I was the only one to get through. I was in high school and had never watched the show, so I got the question wrong and we didn’t get the tickets. We were walking around Times Square later and some guy was just grabbing people off the street to attend, so we still got to go to the taping.

For Last Week Tonight, you had to request tickets online weeks ahead of time. My wife and I were on a trip to NYC and got an email that we apparently weren’t selected to attend. A couple hours before the taping, we got a call that they needed more people so we were able to sneak in for the taping after all.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My Senior Class in HS had to attend tapings of the Hollywood Squares for fundraising purposes.

It was ok.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Is security really tight for live audiences?
Are you patted down for recording devices or such?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

happyhippy posted:

I feel like we went through metal detectors? Either way, it’s not like I didn’t have my phone on me. They definitely tell you not to take an recordings but unless you are blatantly taking a video or something I’m not sure how they’d know.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Klungar posted:

I feel like we went through metal detectors? Either way, it’s not like I didn’t have my phone on me. They definitely tell you not to take an recordings but unless you are blatantly taking a video or something I’m not sure how they’d know.

Even if you're not recording I bet they loving hate it when audience members look at their phones during a taping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

happyhippy posted:

I went to two of Conan's TBS show tapings and each time it was basically "leave your phone in the car or you don't get in" with a cursory metal detector check before getting carted over to the studio.