Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

The heart wants what the heart wants.

the heart also wants what the dick wants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Google News needs to be put into "witness protection". Holy gently caress. Somebody says something on the podcast then I'm hearing about it for weeks from various two bit websites passing themselves as news outlets

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Least believable thing on the show: Johnny Cakes guy gets with Vito after their fight. You got your poo poo together dude, you're like a catch, how you gonna get with a guy who goes for a loving pipe in a fistfight?

I always viewed their relationship as a 'Jerry Seinfeld pulls mad rear end from different hot women every week' suspension-of-disbelief thing, and thought the arc would have been more impactful if we just saw Vito realizing himself fully in a way that wasn't a forced romcom. That arc could have been really groundbreaking and award-bait through and through but meh, let's have this chungus gently caress a hot firefighter bro and have him feel 'weird'

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I always viewed their relationship as a 'Jerry Seinfeld pulls mad rear end from different hot women every week' suspension-of-disbelief thing, and thought the arc would have been more impactful if we just saw Vito realizing himself fully in a way that wasn't a forced romcom. That arc could have been really groundbreaking and award-bait through and through but meh, let's have this chungus gently caress a hot firefighter bro and have him feel 'weird'

I give the show an "A" for effort and addressing a gay mafia member certainly had interesting possibilities. I didn't mind the Vito-centric spiral as much as some but a lot of it was forced and hit or miss. My biggest gripe was how a pretty good looking dude like Johnny Cakes fell for this obese, unattractive, temperamental weirdo who obviously had more than a few problems.

Vito was out of his league.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm not talking about the attractiveness. Different strokes and all.

Vito tried to beat him with a pipe and also lied to him for months about his identity, and the guy still lets him move in. Johnny Cakes kinda has a spaz out about Vito helping out at an emergency, but other than that he seems like a totally normal, healthy person. You gotta have at least one scene where you walk away from it like "oof, that guy's mom did a loving number on him". I think they're going for the beginning of a codependent relationship where Vito is damaged as gently caress and the guy the type who sees himself as a saint for "fixing" him.

I also had a laugh at the part where Vito cuts the electricity during an emergency. They set up like a loving "Saw" scenario to get to a point where Vito could help. "Help! The basement is flooding and also electrified!"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I'm not talking about the attractiveness. Different strokes and all.

Vito tried to beat him with a pipe and also lied to him for months about his identity, and the guy still lets him move in. Johnny Cakes kinda has a spaz out about Vito helping out at an emergency, but other than that he seems like a totally normal, healthy person. You gotta have at least one scene where you walk away from it like "oof, that guy's mom did a loving number on him". I think they're going for the beginning of a codependent relationship where Vito is damaged as gently caress and the guy the type who sees himself as a saint for "fixing" him.

I also had a laugh at the part where Vito cuts the electricity during an emergency. They set up like a loving "Saw" scenario to get to a point where Vito could help. "Help! The basement is flooding and also electrified!"

That's what I meant by "temperamental" and "having more than a few problems". It's not like Johnny was blinded by from all this by Vito's raw charisma and stunning good looks (or even his money), which would have been more believable at least and is generally where blind spots in relationships develop in my experience. Maybe I should have gone into it in more detail.

I generally agree with you.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
watching the show for the first time, already hooked. just finished College. i've been very impressed with the show's depiction of depression and anxiety attacks. most every panic attack I've ever seen in tv or movies looks theatrical and cartoony. i used to just pass out so i felt for tony. that's one thing I really enjoy about the show, you can very easily relate and empathize with all the characters, even the monsters.

chris is far and away my favorite character. it's such a perfect depiction of an addict's state of mind and attitude. everybody sort of knows a Chris I think. if you don't you might be the Chris

I'll buy you one of those happy meals, alright?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Low Desert Punk posted:

Where the gently caress are you?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Low Desert Punk posted:

watching the show for the first time, already hooked. just finished College. i've been very impressed with the show's depiction of depression and anxiety attacks. most every panic attack I've ever seen in tv or movies looks theatrical and cartoony. i used to just pass out so i felt for tony. that's one thing I really enjoy about the show, you can very easily relate and empathize with all the characters, even the monsters.

chris is far and away my favorite character. it's such a perfect depiction of an addict's state of mind and attitude. everybody sort of knows a Chris I think. if you don't you might be the Chris

You've already seen the one episode I would use to sell people on the show with College. Welcome to the family.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
gently caress the Johnny-Uncle Junior prequel, make a theatrical version of "Cleaver".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Low Desert Punk posted:

watching the show for the first time, already hooked.

Man, I wish I could experience that again. Enjoy!

I'd recommend reading the recaps here after each episode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Fuckin' Lin Manuel Miranda appearance out of nowhere

I'm sure literally out of nowhere in those days.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

PostNouveau posted:

Fuckin' Lin Manuel Miranda appearance out of nowhere

I'm sure literally out of nowhere in those days.

Love those kinds of 'cameos' before they were famous.

Lady Gaga

Perez Hilton

Paul Dano

Tony Hale

Will Arnett is also in there somewhere.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Vichan posted:

Will Arnett is also in there somewhere.

Yeah, he's the husband of the FBI agent who goes undercover to make friends with Adriana.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The scene where Tony's prodding Paulie about the joke about Ginny Sac while sizing up all the various ways he could kill him is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyq7YAvU7fc

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

The scene where Tony's prodding Paulie about the joke about Ginny Sac while sizing up all the various ways he could kill him is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyq7YAvU7fc

Also Paulie's realization this might be his last boat ride is also great. He might claim to not think of Pussy, but he knows what can happen out at sea.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I had forgotten that, with how incredible the series was from the beginning, there's still a bit of sitcom poo poo in the first few episodes. Before the long-term storylines start to settle in, Paulie, Pussy, and even Silvio have sort of a "caper of the week" thing going. First with AJ's teacher's stolen car, then the episode with the Hassidic Jews that leads to them owning part of the motel. I may be forgetting a few.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

The end of the massive genius episode is so hokey.

"Now THAT is a hit!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Though the songs they put together for Defiler/Visiting Day were perfect. I don't think they were ever released which is a shame.

"No way man, 'Sharon's Chair' is going to be our first single"

"I like 'Melt'!"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Meow

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Though the songs they put together for Defiler/Visiting Day were perfect. I don't think they were ever released which is a shame.

"No way man, 'Sharon's Chair' is going to be our first single"

"I like 'Melt'!"

"I've recorded in DENMARK" is a great line.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Binged through to the end today. A lot of stuff that bugged me the first couple watch throughs didn't nearly as much. I completely forgot AJ's big dream was to be Donald Trump's helicopter pilot.

I know the Master of Sopranos essay on the POV shots in the final scene get dismissed now. Everybody's on the "it's ambiguous live with it" train. But drat if it ain't still convincing every time I watch that scene.

https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

I had forgotten that, with how incredible the series was from the beginning, there's still a bit of sitcom poo poo in the first few episodes. Before the long-term storylines start to settle in, Paulie, Pussy, and even Silvio have sort of a "caper of the week" thing going. First with AJ's teacher's stolen car, then the episode with the Hassidic Jews that leads to them owning part of the motel. I may be forgetting a few.

And more than anyone else, I think Silvio's stories are the saddest. He charms it all away usually but he is a mean loving pimp with a heart of ice, even among his fellows. "University" really lays it out.

Everyone else gets a touch of comedy but Sil? He's usually a darker note in whatever story he's in.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

phasmid posted:

And more than anyone else, I think Silvio's stories are the saddest. He charms it all away usually but he is a mean loving pimp with a heart of ice, even among his fellows. "University" really lays it out.

Everyone else gets a touch of comedy but Sil? He's usually a darker note in whatever story he's in.

Usually. Sil immediately falling apart when Tony gets shot and he gets the added stress of being acting boss was pretty funny.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

PostNouveau posted:

Usually. Sil immediately falling apart when Tony gets shot and he gets the added stress of being acting boss was pretty funny.

Didn't he immediately fall ill from the pressure?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Silvio saying re: Ralphie: "He beat that girl to death for.... I forget why?" is incredibly black comedy/depressing as hell.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

phasmid posted:

Didn't he immediately fall ill from the pressure?

That's what I'm sayin'

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Silvio saying re: Ralphie: "He beat that girl to death for.... I forget why?" is incredibly black comedy/depressing as hell.

She was a ho-ar

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
"Gab told me Vito Jr...went into the litter box and ate some cat poo poo?"

"No, he took a poo poo. In the shower"

"Glad we got that straight"

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

"Gab told me Vito Jr...went into the litter box and ate some cat poo poo?"

"No, he took a poo poo. In the shower"

"Glad we got that straight"

https://twitter.com/sopranosnocnxt/status/1095080735570980867

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

You have any idea what that's gonna cost...

... Your mother?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

"You gonna take care of his kids?"

"Yeah...they didn't do nothin'"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Like a pebble in a lake, even the fish feel it.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

PostNouveau posted:

That's what I'm sayin'

:doh: That's what I get for posting late. Yeah. I just never quite looked at the character in the same way again. He appears at first like a friendly guy (who also looks like a mortician but hey) so the contrast with him being possibly the most lethal and most callous of the crew was a strange twist. His wife put up with him though so maybe he didn't bring work home.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Butt Buddies

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I always wondered how it worked with Vito having a goomah. He wasn't sleeping with her and it was all for show, but what was she getting out of it?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
She got to record his anonymous biker encounters.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

pentyne posted:

I always wondered how it worked with Vito having a goomah. He wasn't sleeping with her and it was all for show, but what was she getting out of it?

Free rent and fancy nights out on the town without the fear of being raped/physically assaulted at the end of the night?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They did start off their relationship having sex, so he was either trying to keep up appearances on ALL fronts or trying to fool himself that he wasn't REALLY gay for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, he also had two kids with Marie and then suggests a third.